LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with other posters who wonder why they weren't charged immediately. For what it's worth, here's the Daily Mail's explanation:

News of the January horror is breaking now as the autopsy report was not handed to East Feliciana Sheriff's Office until March. At that point Sheriff Travis consulted with District Attorney D'Aquilla on a course of action that has resulted in this grand jury deliberation.

A new East Feliciana Parish grand jury is selected every six months, with a new one chosen today. Authorities decided it should be the new jury that decided the Fletcher case.

Parents of Louisiana woman, 36, found dead, 'fused to sofa' charged with second-degree murder | Daily Mail Online
Well, the Wheels od Justice move slowly but surely!

And let's stick to that :)

I’ve got a stray cat here that is acting like it has hip pain. DH and I are calling around to find a vet who can see her asap. A vet visit isn’t really in my budget but I can’t leave the cat in pain. She’s not even my cat and she’s being treated better than Lacey was.
How the hell could Lacey’s parents see her in that condition and do NOTHING.

I’ve got a stray cat here that is acting like it has hip pain. DH and I are calling around to find a vet who can see her asap. A vet visit isn’t really in my budget but I can’t leave the cat in pain. She’s not even my cat and she’s being treated better than Lacey was.
Did you know that if a cat strays into your home it means good luck and fortune for your family?
Lucky you!!!
And lucky this cat of course to meet you!

She sat in her own waste for so long that the floor under the couch bad buckled from the urine and feces that drained down. That took a long time.
They could have Baker Act-ed her at any time, if the issue was her refusal to go get treatment.
They claim she was "of sound mind to make decisions" - if that is the truth, she was aware.
There is no diagnosis of "locked in syndrome" as per the coroner.

Not seen outside in 15 years according to neighbours. Will be interesting to see if this parts true...

However, Blades revealed to DailyMail.com that Sheila Fletcher might have been forced to make that call.

'There was one neighbor here, we don't know who it was, had supposedly seen Lacey on the couch like that and told the parents they had to call the police,' he said. 'And that's what we were told. I don't know how much truth there is in that.'

Lacey Fletcher was last seen in public 15 years before her death, neighbors reveal | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

I can relate, we adopted a cat two years ago. He got bad ear infection recently and walked so woobly that I actually got off work and rushed him to animal hospital together with my bf we waited for 4hours and spent good amount of money. He is fine now but as you said its “just” a cat and I was so worried. I can’t imagine seeing your own child dying on the couch and just go on with your life.
there is always something you can do or at least you can try to do.
Its hard to understand why they pulled her out from school, even if she had social anxiety or learning difficulties many people have them and manage to have education or work later on.

I feel like they were ashamed of whatever illness she had.
They seem like people who have a good social circle, jobs and relatively good life standard and maybe simply were ashamed of having less successful child with a diagnosis of autism( or any other we don’t really know) or mentally incapable child who didn’t grow up to their standards and was seen as a burden.
Such a inhumane thing to do to anyone and mostly to your own child.

School? Asperger's Diagnosis?
She attended a private school before she was homeschooled. “Fletcher attended Brownfields Baptist Academy in Baton Rouge through 9th grade before entering a home-school program.” After 'horrific' death at home, parents of Louisiana woman may soon face murder charges | Crime/Police | nola.com
@Shamrock1 bbm Thanks for your post w link. Not directing this to you specifically but to any/all here.
I'm trying to reconcile numbers, timing, ages.
At death, Lacey was 36 y/o.*
Usual age in 9th grade is ~ 14 y/o (?), so presumably she would have completed 8th grade ~ 2000, 2001.
The school (reported as being closed in 2004) offered classes pre-K to 8.**

Timing of diagnosis?
Also from Daily Mail: "The Fletchers reportedly said Lacey developed 'some degree of Asperger's syndrome' after 9th grade when she started being home schooled." bbm (my interp = she attended school thru 9th grade, then home schooled)
Per Daily Mail* friend said they went to school w her to 9th grade. (my interp = only thru 8th)
Did she attend 9th grade at this school that only offered classes grade 8?
Did someone speaking misremember these numbers/years? Did reporter misunderstand? Or?

My question: Is it likely, or even possible, that a student attending school thru 8th grade (at least) developed Asperger's Syn. after that?:confused:

Or was not diagnosed w Asperger's Syn. after homeschooling started?:confused:
Friends said she had some "learning differences"* later diagnosed as autism.

"The parents of severely autistic Lacey Ellen"*
Iiuc, Asperger's syndrome is not "severely autistic" but maybe DM stretched terminology. IDK. Nevertheless.
* Another friend, Allison Falcon said, “We went to a small, private school with Lacey from kindergarten to 9th grade. Lacey was far from nonverbal and immobile during those years. While she did have some learning differences, which was later diagnosed as autism, she had friends, played on a volleyball team and bowling league, had slumber parties, loved going to Disney, and most of all loved music, especially country music and Mariah Carey. She had an outstanding memory and could recite so many facts.”
Parents of Louisiana woman, 36, found dead, 'fused to sofa' charged with second-degree murder | Daily Mail Online

** "Brownfields Baptist Academy (Closed 2004)

11998 Plank Rd
Baton Rouge, LA
Grades Offered. Grades Prekindergarten-8"
^Brownfields Baptist Academy (Closed 2004) Profile (2022) | Baton Rouge, LA

@Shamrock1 bbm Thanks for your post w link. Not directing this to you specifically but to any/all here.
Usual age in 9th grade is ~ 14 y/o (?), so presumably she would have completed 8th grade ~ 2000, 2001.

Timing of diagnosis?
Also from Daily Mail: "The Fletchers reportedly said Lacey developed 'some degree of Asperger's syndrome' after 9th grade when she started being home schooled." bbm (my interp = she attended school thru 9th grade, then home schooled)
Per Daily Mail* friend said they went to school w her to 9th grade. (my interp = only thru 8th)
Did someone speaking misremember these numbers/years? Did reporter misunderstand? Or?

My question: Is it likely, or even possible, that a student attending school thru 8th grade (at least) developed Asperger's Syn. after that?:confused:

Iiuc, Asperger's syndrome is not "severely autistic" but maybe DM stretched terminology. IDK. Nevertheless.
* Another friend, Allison Falcon said, “We went to a small, private school with Lacey from kindergarten to 9th grade. Lacey was far from nonverbal and immobile during those years. While she did have some learning differences, which was later diagnosed as autism, she had friends, played on a volleyball team and bowling league, had slumber parties, loved going to Disney, and most of all loved music, especially country music and Mariah Carey. She had an outstanding memory and could recite so many facts.”

11998 Plank Rd
Baton Rouge, LA
OK, I read that teachers at the beginning of Primary School suggested diagnosing, but the parents did it many years later, when Lacey was a teen.

I don't remember the link.

Did they pull her out of school as soon as she was diagnosed? Maybe they were ashamed of her for being different? If primary teachers suggested testing and they put it off till high school, maybe they didn't want to admit something was (in their minds) wrong with her.

Timing of diagnosis?

11998 Plank Rd
Baton Rouge, LA
In this school the 9th year was only once experimentally, and a classmate of Lacey attended it - so she might have finished it also.

I read an interview with her school friend - it was local media (found it by Google).

She sat in her own waste for so long that the floor under the couch bad buckled from the urine and feces that drained down. That took a long time.
They could have Baker Act-ed her at any time, if the issue was her refusal to go get treatment.
They claim she was "of sound mind to make decisions" - if that is the truth, she was aware.
There is no diagnosis of "locked in syndrome" as per the coroner.

OMG- there is no rationalization that these monsters (aka parents) could come up with that would make any sense such as "she was of sound mind to make decisions'-- they better come up with something better at trial-- I am sure their criminal defense attorney will come up with something creative--- imagine this being said at trial " my daughter refused to get off the couch to go to the bathroom- so we let her poop and pee while she was on the couch FOR 12 YEARS- we tried to get her to go to the bathroom but she wouldn't get off the couch- what could we do??-- we told her she needed to get treated for bed sores but she didn't want treatment- what could we do?

That won't fly!

OMG- there is no rationalization that these monsters (aka parents) could come up with that would make any sense such as "she was of sound mind to make decisions'-- they better come up with something better at trial-- I am sure their criminal defense attorney will come up with something creative--- imagine this being said at trial " my daughter refused to get off the couch to go to the bathroom- so we let her poop and pee while she was on the couch FOR 12 YEARS- we tried to get her to go to the bathroom but she wouldn't get off the couch- what could we do??-- we told her she needed to get treated for bed sores but she didn't want treatment- what could we do?

That won't fly!
Right?! There’s absolutely no plausible defence to this IMO. If that is true you call for help, to a friend, to family, to a Physician, to a Social Worker, to Social Services, to 911, etc… and you don’t stop until your daughter gets help. They clearly have means so there is no excuse and that wouldn’t be an excuse either.

When I saw the picture of their house and yard, my first thought was that it looked like an advert.

Immaculate, spotless building and lawn.

No sign of usual clutter, bikes, swing, chairs, etc.

As if the owners were perfectionists.

It was my first impression.

:(
Lacey, I'm so sorry for what you endured.

This is abhorrent, those people who let their flesh and blood suffer in such an inhumane way need to be punished severely for what they allowed to happen.

Lacey would have had moisture damage to her skin from urination and defecation and not being cleansed, dried properly and repositioned. That would be extremely painful for her. The moisture damage would have been deep, and it would have been quick to develop - moisture damage to skin can occur within 20 minutes. On top of that she had pressure sores, guaranteed that would have not been limited to her sacrum and buttocks, but would most likely have also been present on her hips, heels, toes, elbows - the pain that she would have felt would have been unbearable - its no wonder she didn't move, it would have hurt to have done so.

moo

This makes me ill and so very very sad, to think of how she was left, too waste away. There's just no words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member