LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo..just neglect ..they did not abuse her..they just did nothing. This happens more often when people care for elderly or disabled people. Just lack of knowledge and/or lack of mental energy. If there was support and education...because this is becoming more the normal...take care of your family member ..no matter how broken or violent they are. .. moo

Moo..just neglect ..they did not abuse her..they just did nothing. This happens more often when people care for elderly or disabled people. Just lack of knowledge and/or lack of mental energy. If there was support and education...because this is becoming more the normal...take care of your family member ..no matter how broken or violent they are. .. moo

I respectfully disagree- here are various definitions of term "abuse"
cruel is one of the ways to describe abuse: maltreatment- take your pick
they let her lay in feces for years and years - they watched her melt into the couch- they watched her die slowly and you know she suffered: sorry, if that is not abuse I don't know what what is.

I agree with you to an extent. However IMHO neglect IS a form of abuse. She was absolutely abused by her so called parents. Yes, it’s hard, but it’s not impossible to empathize with someone going through something you’re not. And it does suck, yes, when your 36 year old daughter still can’t speak and is on a child’s level. It’s super frustrating, I know. But they didn’t even TRY to take care of Lacey. She was left in that room for a DECADE! She was melted to the couch, starved to only 96 pounds, ate parts of the COUCH!!! Because her parents wouldn’t feed her, did her business on the couch because there was no toilet, ate her own waste because she was starving, the list goes on.

Yes, parents should take care of their child no matter how “broken” they are. If they really and truly cannot take care of them just put them in a TRUSTED home or in a trusted friend’s or family member’s care if they are willing.

I agree with you to an extent. However IMHO neglect IS a form of abuse. She was absolutely abused by her so called parents. Yes, it’s hard, but it’s not impossible to empathize with someone going through something you’re not. And it does suck, yes, when your 36 year old daughter still can’t speak and is on a child’s level. It’s super frustrating, I know. But they didn’t even TRY to take care of Lacey. She was left in that room for a DECADE! She was melted to the couch, starved to only 96 pounds, ate parts of the COUCH!!! Because her parents wouldn’t feed her, did her business on the couch because there was no toilet, ate her own waste because she was starving, the list goes on.

Yes, parents should take care of their child no matter how “broken” they are. If they really and truly cannot take care of them just put them in a TRUSTED home or in a trusted friend’s or family member’s care if they are willing.

There is no defense for the abuse and neglect on the part of these so-called parents-- I would like to see them answer for their actions in a trial, but my best guess is that they will take a plea so they don't have to let the public know the depth of their absolute abuse and neglect of their daughter--- remember while she was alive they lived an apparent normal life- no one suspected what condition their daughter was in until she finally passed away - and they surely don't want people now to know what occurred during those awful years ---

RSBM

And it does suck, yes, when your 36 year old daughter still can’t speak and is on a child’s level. It’s super frustrating, I know. But they didn’t even TRY to take care of Lacey.

All just my opinion: But that's not even the case with Lacey. She had attended school when younger; she could speak and wasn't on a very young child's level. As far as we can tell based on reporting, she may have had ASD and been a bit socially immature. Then seems to have developed a severe anxiety disorder (?), but she could have surely been helped with treatment by professionals (as you said.)

RSBM

All just my opinion: But that's not even the case with Lacey. She had attended school when younger; she could speak and wasn't on a very young child's level. As far as we can tell based on reporting, she may have had ASD and been a bit socially immature. Then seems to have developed a severe anxiety disorder (?), but she could have surely been helped with treatment by professionals (as you said.)
I’ve seen from multiple sources she had autism. I don’t know about the anxiety disorder. I am both autistic and have an anxiety disorder, you don’t just develop one unless it’s PTSD. It’s just something that comes about. She could have definitely gotten professional help.

I believed that, since this can happen, she probably regressed. I’ve heard of something called age regression, where people regress to a child’s level to deal with stress and trauma. But this is different. I believe she just kind of lost her mind almost when she was just stuck there for years. Kind of went insane.

I believed that, since this can happen, she probably regressed. I’ve heard of something called age regression, where people regress to a child’s level to deal with stress and trauma. But this is different. I believe she just kind of lost her mind almost when she was just stuck there for years. Kind of went insane.

I hear you. And who wouldn't in that situation - suffering and trapped while the only people who could seek help for you don't.

Welcome UrsulaWrenn! There have been a few of us trying to keep this case alive and in the forefront of peoples'
minds although the defendants and family are not saying a word. I am sure in hopes that Lacey will be forgotten. But you will see that while we disagree about the charges, we all put all the blame squarely on the parents. There is NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH reason for Lacey to have been left to rot to death, which is what her parents allowed to happen. It does not matter AT ALL what Lacey's abilities, or disabilities were, whether she could speak or not. Whether her mind was sound or not. If a blind person that could not communicate was found in her condition in a bed, anyone could see the neglect. But because she was sitting upright, people somehow think she had more agency. And maybe by keeping her there in that position, on the couch, made them rationalize that "it isn't so bad." But the first responders have all been deeply affected by this case. These people both worked fulltime jobs in the public eye. These people had resources. They were not poor and overstressed with too many kids that she was overlooked. She was their only child. Lacey wasn't a forgotten 80-year-old gramma that lived alone and did not have regular contact or access to the outside world. Her access to help was Clay and Sheila Fletcher and they did NOTHING...for 12 years or more. They are crazy to take this to trial. Can you imagine the parade of first responders, including the coroner who could not eat for a week (and he has seen some bad stuff) testifying about her having "insects all over her body and was covered in feces from head to toe." There is no defense. There is nothing that can make this make sense. You make your kids brush their teeth because you know the consequences of them not brushing their teeth. WHATEVER Lacey did or did not do or say, the parents failed to get her help at the beginning of this tragedy. And then failed her every single day as they fed her, walked past her, gave her something to drink. This case speaks to failing the most vulnerable among us. If those people who were solely entrusted with her care could do this, what hope is there for the rest of us?
I just read your post - very insightful and right on the money: they failed her so monumentally it is unfathomable. It does not matter what state of mind she was in--- my fear is that at the end of the day the prosecution will take a plea and these so called parents will receive some kind of sentence without ever having to explain what they did. That their dirty deeds will remain hidden from the light of day. They are despicable.

I just read your post - very insightful and right on the money: they failed her so monumentally it is unfathomable. It does not matter what state of mind she was in--- my fear is that at the end of the day the prosecution will take a plea and these so called parents will receive some kind of sentence without ever having to explain what they did. That their dirty deeds will remain hidden from the light of day. They are despicable.
ilovewings you are exactly right and what we fear. I email back and forth with the local news media making sure they are covering anything so they are not able to slink away in the night.

Idk why I’ve not come across this case but it is making my heart hurt withe first post. I’m reposting the original article that launched this post as the link is broken:

Lacey Fletcher, 36, who was disabled, died at her parents’ home on Jan. 3, according to Dr. Ewell Dewitt Bickham III, the coroner in East Feliciana Parish.

“This was tough; this was tough,” said Bickham.

“Slaughter first responders, fire department, sheriff’s deputies, showed up on scene within 30 seconds. They deemed it was obviously a deceased individual so they called me, and I was out there within 10 minutes,” added Bickham.

“When I first walked in the house, it smelled of feces, fecal material, however you want to put that politely, it stunk. And when I got to the body, the individual was basically sitting in a hole, filled with liquid stool and urine,” explained Bickham.

Bickham said deputies with the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff’s Office were contacted to process the scene and start an investigation, thinking something potentially criminal had happened here.

“After we processed the scene, I was able to place her body in a black body bag and I took it down to Jefferson Parish for autopsy,” said Dr. Bickham.

He and investigators at the Jefferson Parish Forensic Center in Harvey ruled Fletcher’s death as a homicide. They believe she died as a result of ‘at least a decade of medical neglect.’

“It’s the worst form of medical neglect I’ve ever seen. I don’t know any other adjectives or adverbs to add to that,” noted Bickham.

“I’ve never seen anything like this, that literally turned my stomach as bad as it did. It literally got me emotional, and I’m a strong person. This is the worst case of neglect I’ve ever seen,” emphasized Bickham.

Idk why I’ve not come across this case but it is making my heart hurt withe first post. I’m reposting the original article that launched this post as the link is broken:

Lacey Fletcher, 36, who was disabled, died at her parents’ home on Jan. 3, according to Dr. Ewell Dewitt Bickham III, the coroner in East Feliciana Parish.

“Slaughter first responders, fire department, sheriff’s deputies, showed up on scene within 30 seconds. They deemed it was obviously a deceased individual so they called me, and I was out there within 10 minutes,” added Bickham.

“When I first walked in the house, it smelled of feces, fecal material, however you want to put that politely, it stunk. And when I got to the body, the individual was basically sitting in a hole, filled with liquid stool and urine,” explained Bickham.

Bickham said deputies with the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff’s Office were contacted to process the scene and start an investigation, thinking something potentially criminal had happened here.

“After we processed the scene, I was able to place her body in a black body bag and I took it down to Jefferson Parish for autopsy,” said Dr. Bickham.

He and investigators at the Jefferson Parish Forensic Center in Harvey ruled Fletcher’s death as a homicide. They believe she died as a result of ‘at least a decade of medical neglect.’

“It’s the worst form of medical neglect I’ve ever seen. I don’t know any other adjectives or adverbs to add to that,” noted Bickham.

“I’ve never seen anything like this, that literally turned my stomach as bad as it did. It literally got me emotional, and I’m a strong person. This is the worst case of neglect I’ve ever seen,” emphasized Bickham.
Waiting for the appropriate punishment to be given to these so-called parents. I believe the trial is supposed to be this month but I believe there will be a plea- unfortunately.

Thanks for posting a new link!

Waiting for the appropriate punishment to be given to these so-called parents. I believe the trial is supposed to be this month but I believe there will be a plea- unfortunately.
I emailed the DA last week but no reply. Today is two weeks to their trial date - June 19th. I just emailed
Chris Nakamoto with WBRZ again asking if he knows anything. Will advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member