LA - Marcus Merritt, 37, Leonville, 4 Jan 2013

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Voorhees, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Voorhees

Voorhees New Member

:please::please::maddening::furious::crying::crying:

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. bessie

bessie <b><span style="color:#007C00;">WS Administrator</ Administrator

Welcome, Voorhees. I read the story, and I'm so sorry about Marcus. Something about this rang a bell, and I was able to find the articles I came across some time back. It won't be much help, but you'll find it of interest.

January 2009
    Opelousas, St. Landry Parish, LA
    http://www.dailyworld.com/article/20090128/NEWS01/901280304/OPD-clears-case?nclick_check=1
    http://www.ksla.com/story/9745478/arrest-closes-2005-opelousas-cold-case
    http://www.klfy.com/story/9744581/opelousas-cold-case-solved

Note, the poor woman was raped and strangled.

4. Voorhees

Voorhees New Member

Thank you very much Bessie, I will forward this story to someone that's trying to help me

5. Bluecat

Bluecat New Member

It's worth noting that the coroner for this parish is Russell Pavich, MD. It looks like he's not trained for it - he's a general practitioner (not even a member of the AMA, which is concerning to me but not required), and when you search his name you find him listed also as an orthopedic surgeon and a bariatric surgeon (which has been a trend among some doctors as it's highly profitable, but again - he doesn't have the specialty).

Pavich has been coroner since 1996, when he was appointed upon the resignation of the elected coroner due to funding issues - and has been elected and re-elected ever since. See Supreme Court of Louisiana case nos. 97-C-1914 and 97-C-1937. They ruled that the police had to fund the coroner for certain things, but ancillary staff (i.e. anyone other than Pavich himself) was not one of them, and it's unlikely that he's been given that much more in the way of more funding since 1996. So I suspect that the lack of investigation is due to there not being enough of Pavich to go around, which is an insane reason to decide not to do an autopsy (perhaps he thought that because your son was not local, that it wouldn't be questioned?). Just my opinion, but I hope that it strengthens your resolve and gives you more ammunition to get people to help you.

6. Bluecat

Bluecat New Member

The budget angle might be wrong - I found that they increased the budget in 2010 to $160k for the Coroner's office operating expense from $111k in 2009. It looks like they've had issues passing a budget since then, though, so who knows how funding is working in the last couple of years.

7. Voorhees

Voorhees New Member

Thank you for that information. It boggles my mind but, whatever the lack of them doing a thorough investigation into Marcs' death, is totally unacceptable to me. The fact that he wasn't from there is exactly what helped this situation work against them because, I know this isn't correct protocol. I'm pretty sure these types of situations occur there but, not with my child & this Mother plans to do all I can to find out the truth!! Again, thank you for this information.

8. OkieGranny

OkieGranny <b><span style="color:#660033;">WS Forum Coordinat Forum Coordinators

9. Voorhees

Voorhees New Member

OK Granny, I meant to say, thank u for posting and stay tuned. They're corrupt as hell in that state&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;&#128545;&#128544;