GUILTY LA - Melanie 'Annette' Davis, 42, Newellton, 14 Jan 2007

mistivon

Verified Insider - Maricela Garcia
Reaction score
The sister of a Newellton, La., woman now missing for weeks describes the 42-year-old mother of three as “beautiful” and likens the police investigation to a dream that won't end.

“I just can't believe she's missing,” Shelley Smith said. “I just don't know who would want to harm her. She's just a beautiful person who had a smile for everybody. It's like I am dreaming and can't wake up.”

Melanie Davis was reported missing Jan. 16, two days after she was last seen at River Region Medical Center in Vicksburg, where she worked the overnight shift as a certified nursing assistant. Her son told investigators he last spoke with her by telephone Jan. 14.

The investigation, Tensas Parish Sheriff Ricky Jones said, started as a missing person case. After deputies searched the woman's home at 207 Pecan Drive a week later, they found evidence suggesting foul play, Jones said. He has called the investigation “a wait-and-see deal.”

http://www.vicksburgpost.com/articles/2007/02/03/news/news03.txt

mistivon said:
The sister of a Newellton, La., woman now missing for weeks describes the 42-year-old mother of three as “beautiful” and likens the police investigation to a dream that won't end.

“I just can't believe she's missing,” Shelley Smith said. “I just don't know who would want to harm her. She's just a beautiful person who had a smile for everybody. It's like I am dreaming and can't wake up.”

Melanie Davis was reported missing Jan. 16, two days after she was last seen at River Region Medical Center in Vicksburg, where she worked the overnight shift as a certified nursing assistant. Her son told investigators he last spoke with her by telephone Jan. 14.

The investigation, Tensas Parish Sheriff Ricky Jones said, started as a missing person case. After deputies searched the woman's home at 207 Pecan Drive a week later, they found evidence suggesting foul play, Jones said. He has called the investigation “a wait-and-see deal.”

http://www.vicksburgpost.com/articles/2007/02/03/news/news03.txt

They didn't search her home until a week later and even though they found evidence that suggested foul play the sheriff says it is a "wait and see deal???" What is up with this sheriff? For pity sake if he found evidence of foul play what is he waiting to see? Does he mean that he is just going to sit around waiting for something to happen or for someone to find her body? I think they need someone else on this case. Someone that isn't going to sit around waiting to see whatever he is waiting to see!!!!!!

i also contacted the newspaper about her and this is what i got from them:

We ran a follow-up story on Melanie Davis in Saturday's paper. We also ran a
couple of short stories before that about how the investigation is
progressing. It is being investigated as a possible homicide, but her body
has not been found.

I am really surprised about the lack of media attention here. She is a beautiful woman. I hope they get some good leads soon.

Gmommy said:
I am really surprised about the lack of media attention here. She is a beautiful woman. I hope they get some good leads soon.

With the attitude the sherrif has she probably won't ever be found unless she comes home on her own :furious: If I was her family I would be screaming my head off. It is obvious that something happened in this lady's home. Did they go over the house for evidence like finger prints or blood that might belong to someone else? Is there a husband, ex something in the picture?
I hope that she is found and that she is alright.

:confused: Please tell me that is a misprint... 'wait and see'... would he wait and see if it were his wife or daughter? You know I wouldnt blame her family if they wait and see when they are going to knock this sheriff out. What a beautiful lady and I pray to God she is ok. :(

Bobbisangel said:
With the attitude the sherrif has she probably won't ever be found unless she comes home on her own :furious: If I was her family I would be screaming my head off. It is obvious that something happened in this lady's home. Did they go over the house for evidence like finger prints or blood that might belong to someone else? Is there a husband, ex something in the picture?
I hope that she is found and that she is alright.
The sheriff sounds like a tool, I agree. It doesn't sound like a very good investigation. What the heck are they waiting to see?

Beyond waiting for crime scene analysis results they should still be chasing down any and all leads-this woman, her family and the community deserve this.

Mygirlsadie said:
:confused: Please tell me that is a misprint... 'wait and see'... would he wait and see if it were his wife or daughter? You know I wouldnt blame her family if they wait and see when they are going to knock this sheriff out. What a beautiful lady and I pray to God she is ok. :(

The attitude of this sherrif is just unbelievable isn't it. Boy, if that was my daughter or sister they would be able to hear me from one end of the town to the other. No, if that was his wife or his daughter he would be out there searching every square inch of the city. He'd have the FBI there too.

here is the latest from the reporter via e mail:

Apparently, Tensas is waiting on forensics from the state crime lab in
Baton Rouge before making any arrests. According to Louisiana State Police,
blood was found in her abandoned car in Madison Parish.

That's all we know right now. We do ask about this case almost daily. But we
won't publish anything again until something new has happened in the case.

mistivon said:
here is the latest from the reporter via e mail:

Apparently, Tensas is waiting on forensics from the state crime lab in
Baton Rouge before making any arrests. According to Louisiana State Police,
blood was found in her abandoned car in Madison Parish.

That's all we know right now. We do ask about this case almost daily. But we
won't publish anything again until something new has happened in the case.

Thanks so much. Why didn't that nitwit of a sherrif say he is waiting for evidence to come back? If there was evidence then it must have been foul play I would think. I would think the sherrif could tell the difference if there was a lot of blood in the car like from a crime scene or if she might have just cut her finger and bled a little! Sounds like they might even have a suspect or more in mind...husband...ex something?

Bumping .anyone heard anymore?

Hi, I live in Madison Parish, about 30 miles from Newellton, Louisiana. A grand jury did indict Melanie Davis's husband, Leroy Davis, for her murder on June 1st.

spacer.gif
5. ID expected on Tensas woman next week
March 16, 2007 •• 284 words •• ID: mon38335687
Police expect to have identification results next week of a female whose remains were excavated from a gravesite in Tensas parish on Tuesday. Officials said they believe the remains are those of Melanie "Annette" Davis, 41, who was reported missing Jan. 16 by her husband, Leroy Davis, 46, after she did not report for work at River Region Medical Center in Vicksburg, Miss. State police and Tensas Parish sheriff's deputies arrested Leroy Davis on one count of

Tensas Parish grand jury Thursday returned a murder indictment against the Newellton man accused of killing his wife. Leroy Davis is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Melanie Davis. Leroy Davis first reported his wife missing in January after she failed to show up for work in Vicksburg, Miss. Her car was found abandoned in Madison Parish the same day. Authorities discovered Melanie Davis' body two months later in a wooded area near Somerset following a

Sorry, that is all of the article I could retrieve without buying the whole article, I hope this helps.

Thanks Dallas. I did a search to try to find more articles but the above was all I found.

Thanks dallas and SewingDeb,and welcome to W/S dallas, keep posting!!
I tried to find more info and couldnt .glad he was caught and sad its another name to add to our list.

Hi, I live in Madison Parish, about 30 miles from Newellton, Louisiana. A grand jury did indict Melanie Davis's husband, Leroy Davis, for her murder on June 1st.

spacer.gif
5. ID expected on Tensas woman next week
March 16, 2007 •• 284 words •• ID: mon38335687
Police expect to have identification results next week of a female whose remains were excavated from a gravesite in Tensas parish on Tuesday. Officials said they believe the remains are those of Melanie "Annette" Davis, 41, who was reported missing Jan. 16 by her husband, Leroy Davis, 46, after she did not report for work at River Region Medical Center in Vicksburg, Miss. State police and Tensas Parish sheriff's deputies arrested Leroy Davis on one count of

Tensas Parish grand jury Thursday returned a murder indictment against the Newellton man accused of killing his wife. Leroy Davis is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Melanie Davis. Leroy Davis first reported his wife missing in January after she failed to show up for work in Vicksburg, Miss. Her car was found abandoned in Madison Parish the same day. Authorities discovered Melanie Davis' body two months later in a wooded area near Somerset following a

Sorry, that is all of the article I could retrieve without buying the whole article, I hope this helps.

Does anyone know if this body was positively identified as Melanie Davis?

Hoppy

It appears so, Hoppy. Here's an obituary from the April 4, 2007, Franklin (LA) Sun:

Melanie Davis

Graveside services for Melanie Davis, 42, of Newellton were held Sunday at Panola Cemetery. Services were under the direction of Richardson Funeral Home, Winnsboro.

Mrs. Davis was a nurse.

Survviors include her husband: Leroy Davis, Newellton; . . .sisters: . . . Shelly Smith . . .

From December 2013:

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/L...396/Davis_v._Louisiana_State_Penitentiary/21/

In January of 2007, the defendant told police that his wife, Annette Davis, had been missing for two days. Annette's vehicle was soon discovered after a plea for help was aired on the local news. Two months after her disappearance, her body was found in a shallow grave off Newell Ridge Road, northwest of Newellton. She died from blunt force trauma to her head...

A Tensas Parish grand jury indicted Petitioner on May 31, 2007, charging him with the offense of Second Degree Murder. On October 29, 2009, a jury found Petitioner guilty as charged. On December 2, 2009, Petitioner was sentenced to life imprisonment at hard labor without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back