LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this photo: WHISKEY BAY

To the left you see big north-south river. That's the Whiskey Bay Pilot Channel. A big tall bridge you can see goes over it. That's the Whiskey Bay bridge. To the right of the area with the curving exit ramps, etc., you see I-10 split into two spans with water between. It's elevated 25 feet in the air. That is the Basin bridge. It extends both west and east for many miles between Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

The Whiskey Bay bridge is a subset of the larger Basin bridge. It's a very short, tall part of it.

Thanks for the compliments. I've just tried to stick to logic and reason things out, There have been a lot of good comments here! This all has really been something, and the community has been amazing. Though it doesn't look good, let's hope for the best!
Oh wow. I searched that dirt field everyone sees in this pic the night of May 23rd. I did not realize I was that close to where bike was found. We walked through tractor tracks all along the perimeter of this field. interesting that that bike was not found sooner by search parties instead of the fisherman.

It's what they make those big lights for. :) Non-murky and dark is better than light and murky, because you can use lights in the dark, but they haven't made a working murk remover yet.

Is it muddy water or clear? It looks muddy from the sky but I don't know about up close and under the tree canopy. Whatever it's like, these must be a special class of divers.

I am here because instead of this being Mickey at 2 am; it could have been me walking at 8pm.

P.S. The water between the twin spans to the right is what we're calling the boat launch canal. I don't know its official name. That's where DTL dumped his victims.
If the basin bridge continues off the map with twin spans going to the right, then where did DTL drop off his victims?

Is it muddy water or clear? It looks muddy from the sky but I don't know about up close and under the tree canopy. Whatever it's like, these must be a special class of divers.
I don't actually know about this area. I know other areas that are extremely murky during the day, when the birds, fish and boats stir things up, but clear up considerably around midnight when the ground muck isn't being constantly stirred up.

And I agree, anyone who search dives is in a class unto themselves, and in murky water to boot, my hat's off.

That Basin Bridge part with water between the freeways lanes - was that dredged to be like that? Where does it go to?
To the right and above the water between the two spans is a field. I went and looked for MS out there about 5 days after she was missing. It is a farming area that gets tilled and tractors go through to plant things. I am assuming the water could run off out there.

To the right and above the water between the two spans is a field. I went and looked for MS out there about 5 days after she was missing. It is a farming area that gets tilled and tractors go through to plant things. I am assuming the water could run off out there.

What a strange place. It must go from swamp to dry land and back to water, all over.

The police said in the press conference it was submerged in the water, with just a little bit sticking out.

Link please?
Ok you guys. This is weird. I definitely READ 20 minutes ago, two or three maybe 4 posts by a user named INFO; who claimed to be 'informed' by the LE that an audio recording by a person claiming to have recorded people talking about the murder and the disposal of a body (never to be found by LE) was presented to LE. and that the bike was on the roadside and not in the water. NOW THOSE POSTS ARE GONE.

http://http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174094&page=19

why would somebody barge in here and post that and now her posts show only '1'; not 4 or 5.

Ok you guys. This is weird. I definitely READ 20 minutes ago, two or three maybe 4 posts by a user named INFO; who claimed to be 'informed' by the LE that an audio recording by a person claiming to have recorded people talking about the murder and the disposal of a body (never to be found by LE) was presented to LE. and that the bike was on the roadside and not in the water. NOW THOSE POSTS ARE GONE.

http://http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174094&page=19

why would somebody barge in here and post that and now her posts show only '1'; not 4 or 5.

Shelly, it's against TOS to post unsubstantiated rumors. The posts were rumors so they were removed.

Scuba diving is serene; more peaceful than living above water I think. Puts a whole nother perspective on life. I have often thought of using my recreational diving license for something more beneficial that I would get paid to do. I do not want to clog up the forums with more talk about this, <modsnip>.

Posting this to be safe, this Chevy Z71 is the only truck in question. This newer model is shown driving in the same direction as Mickey was headed and is not the same white truck as the one pictured in the left turn lane, going the other direction.
attachment.php

What street is this on?

Will this change your routine? Do you walk for pleasure or because you don't have a car?
I like to think I do not have a routine, but when people of ill will have an intent they follow any routine, whether it days, weeks, months, or years. I lived my life without a car all through college in another state; then did the Peace Corps in Africa without a car; I felt safe (believe it or not) hitchhiking in Africa through about 5 countries. Granted a fellow return Peace corps friend of mine (Leanne Knot, 1998, tulane MSW) survived Peace Corps in Mongolia only to come back to NOLA and be carjacked out of the french quarter walgreens and taken across to west bank and raped by Our Lady of Holy Cross College and shot when she started throwing rocks at her PERP. ONE PERSON DID THAT! I find it probable one person could be involved in MS case; one person with a gun. Though I would say ' shoot me' before I got in a vehicle with someone I did not know. People survive gunshot wounds, believe it or not.

I drive a car now; I need to get a new good used car with a 'beeper'. I hesitate to say more in case friends of the PERP are on here ( can we rule that out?). I like to think people with computers are good people and that the bad people do not have access to them yet. lol.

I definitely will not be walking after dark anymore. Not even sure how safe I feel now in this area in broad daylight now. I need to make more friends along the routes I travel by bike or foot now; in case and emergency comes up so I know I have a place to crash.

I am sure MS would have had friends between BW house and her home along her route; which makes me wonder why oh why was she out like this.

Local coffeshops that I used to study at till midnight have recently changed their hours to 10pm; they say it is because they are not making money between 10 pm and 12 pm but I wonder if it is more for safety than for $$?

I feel safe driving on Johnston at midnight; I wouldn't feel safe even driving on Congress at midnight, so I can see why MS did not go that way.

I will never continue straight on St Landry after making those videos with Becky; even if I loved horses and needed 'space on my bike'. never, that area is eery morning, noon, or night.

It's what they make those big lights for. :) Non-murky and dark is better than light and murky, because you can use lights in the dark, but they haven't made a working murk remover yet.
Divers go down with lights, so they can see. Professional divers called in like this have 'all the right gear'. I have been on some night dives, searching in old wrecks with groups; and it is very very interesting. I personally feel the world is safer underwater than above water. lol. kinder anyway. IMHO.

This ordeal with MS makes me wonder how I have survived so far with the escapades I have been on. MS was a trusting soul; as all good people are. and most people assume the world to be.

What street is this on?
This is St Landry street; same spot where MS was last seen on camera. Can we find any identifying characteristics with WS skills that can help identify this truck so LE can run it through DMV?

No one knows because the reporting has been so shoddy. One reporter said it was found under the Basin bridge (which should be the work canal). But the reporter may have meant the Whiskey Bay bridge.

no clue.
What are the chances the person was not driving on I-10 and did not dump the bike via I-10..whiskey bay bridge or basin bridge? I went a very round a bout way following a caravan of searchers may 23rd to get to that field you see by Basin twin span on the left. I am sure I was there and I got there by following someone who lives out that way but works in Lafayette. I had to ask where we were and he said "I-1o and whiskey bay"; the water is in front of us. I was in a framing field following tractor tracks; now I see I was probably close to the work canal instead of the bay water. What is the liklihood the PERP was out there a few days before me dropping off that bike; maybe he lives in that area? and was just in town for a joy ride that turned bad. How many of those people are transiently floating through Lafayette?

What street is this on?
This is the corner of St Landry and the parking lot (on the right ) that MS could have used to get to the st street area to bike path (still have not figured out how she was getting on the bike path from azalea?). ANYway MS was last seen at this corner. any idea whether this truck is here before MS or after MS and what the time distances would have been between her sighting and this sighting?

As a local, I want to say thank you to this WS community to be in existence for us. How long has it been up and running? I like to think what we are doing here might contribute to cracks in this case (probably did with chicken fried Id'ing the olds 98). Can you give us any idea if any crimes have been solved through WS? Are there stats?

It is great to be here for commaraderie and support, but I am now trying to think of what I can contribute besides being a local yocal who travels where she did all the time; trying to figure out how to utilize my own resources to increase the odds she is found.

Thank you for welcoming me and other locals and helping give us a forum to put our ideas together outside the search parties.

No one knows because the reporting has been so shoddy. One reporter said it was found under the Basin bridge (which should be the work canal). But the reporter may have meant the Whiskey Bay bridge.

no clue.
Is the work canal the I-10 canal? if not, where is the I-10 canal on that map you so kindly posted of whiskey bay?

What street is this on?
Just FYI to anyone reviewing this picture. Some people have wondered what is in the corner of University and St Landry (on the corner of the gas station). After looking more closely again, and living in the area, I believe this to be a public transportation busstop. I will go have a look in daylight tomorrow and report back my findings. That would mean we most probably are not looking at a car following this white truck.

I have a question I need to throw out to WS locals and non locals. Amber alerts exist for people over 18 (17yrs old?). I have heard in some states that now AMBER ALERTS exist for adults. If that is so, the AMBER ALERT for adults does not seem to have made its way to Louisiana yet. What is the process a person would have to go through to get an AMBER ALERT for adults to exist in his/her state? Anyone from other states besides Louisiana, can you tell me if an AMBER ALERT for adults exists in your state? We need in Louisiana; another way we are 'behind the times' outside of educational statistics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant