LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do have the results back, we will probably be informed of SOME of what they learn.....they'll hold stuff back, because that is a sure-fire way to make sure that only the perp knows the whole story once they catch him.

The state police did say they were going to process the bike as quickly as possible, but we really don't know at this time if that process is over or still ongoing.

I'm thinking if it was something as simple as paint analysis, we might have heard something by now.

But as I've said before, I don't feel LE owes information updates to anyone but the family. It would be nice to know what's going on, but I'm not entitled to that information.

I have to believe that there's a reason they're so tight-lipped.

I missed something somewhere or maybe some pages, since for some reason I'm trying to keep up with this while working a very demanding job (or rather, d*mned job..haha). Where did the 700 block (Sterling Life) come into play? I ask because I watched a LPD officer (cruiser) and a detective (unmarked gold car) searching that corner last Sunday afternoon.

While searching the area i saw they had a camera that looked like it might have view of the street. They were closed over the weekend so I had to wait until today to go talk to them. The camera cant quite see the street. So thats all that was

I didn't know that about a cyclist seen inside a structure! I guess that's why they asked for video up until 3:30. What structure could a cyclist be inside besides the parking garage?

The security video was from inside a "structure" (business or house IMO) and caught a bit of the street OUTSIDE.

During the first week of the disappearance LPD Chief Craft was interviewed on "Mornings With Ken & Bernie" and was asked about a video that was located showing *someone* on a bicycle between the hours of 1:30am and 3:30am on May 19. (The video was also mentioned in the first Nancy Grace coverage.)

Chief Craft: “It’s very, very blurry. It’s video FROM inside a structure… so it’s very hard to see… because… the purpose of the video is to video inside the structure, not outside, … so it just so happened that you can sort of see the street. And it’s dark, and so you can’t make anything out.”

http://talkradio960.com/police-chief...hunick-search/

This may not be be Mickey, but is does tell me that LE are looking over all known videos with a fine tooth comb.

BW is actually one of the few times when I haven't suspected the close family or friends even a little bit. He submitted to borderline unreasonable* requests from LE and many points of his story have been independently corroborated by video, cell phone records, or family statements. I rarely rule anyone out completely, but I cannot really muster suspicion for him right now. I do think him potentially holding a key he doesn't even know about is possible (like, if it was someone they both knew somehow).

*Borderline unreasonable just because a lot of even innocent people would not allow complete searches of their house or 16 hour interviews. Seriously, I can think of "caring" parents who have had a child abducted who refused police interviews, lawyered up and stopped cooperating because they felt "persecuted" within a week of their child disappearing, etc. Or family/best friends refusing to talk because they might implicate themselves so they get lawyers and freeze up. It is refreshing to see someone say, to hell with my privacy and comfort what is important is FINDING MY LOVED ONE.

Though, I am not sure what I would do. I realize there is always the danger of accidentally implicating yourself etc its complicated sometimes etc etc etc. Sorry, I am still trying to get through my first cup of coffee so eloquence isn't happening right now. I am just acknowledging that I know there are some legit reasons an innocent person may not grant total access to LE.

I totally agree with you. But my point is that we don't know what LPD has as far as this investigation. They could have nothing at all - that's certainly a possibility. And if that's the case then you are right that they aren't tapping into a valuable resource.

But the flip side of that is that it's equally possible that they do have something and don't need the public's assistance at the moment.

That's all I was pointing out. We have no idea which scenario we are dealing with here and I don't want us to be making assumptions that this is a cold case (or conversely that they're close to making an arrest) without a reason to believe one way or the other.

My personal feeling is that their silence is indicative of not needing the public's help right now. They were so good about communicating that need in the beginning - why would they suddenly stop?

re: But my point is that we don't know what LPD has as far as this investigation.

Sorry, megsy, sometimes I go off on a tangent due to frustration & deja vu...
I am hoping and praying that they have a suspect/s and the information to bring Mickey home soon.
With so many of these cases, after a few days the same pattern of silence by LE & the media emerges.
IMO, this is analogous to removing the missing person posters from the poles, but on a much larger scale.
'See what I mean about going off on a tangent'?

bbm. We have not focused much on the possibility that Mickey could have left willingly, b/c everyone close to her insists it was NOT a possibility. With the lack of evidence and no distinct crime scene, it would almost seem like the most logical explanation. What reasons do people have to disappear themselves into thin air, to not be found by people searching high and low?

from a thread way back:
(well that didn't work! that is the post number though)

I would say his video is definitely Kony-inspired.

I want Mickey to be found more than anything! So no tomatoes please. As I am searching for her, and not finding anything, I wonder "Is she near here? Is she in California? Is she in Europe?" I can't imagine being out there searching for my own kids, going days/weeks/years not knowing where they are or what happened to them. I want so badly for her parents, brother, and sister to be able to stop living this way--for her to be found and all their questions to be answered.

Too lazy to go back and find yet another quote I am thinking of, but someone, more recently, said that we should take a step back and look at what's right in front of us, rather than come up with all sorts of wild explanations. When we look at what's in front of us, we see her, we see these cars and trucks, then we don't see her. And we don't see any of her belongings. All we see is POOF! She's gone. Sure there are all sorts of explanations. But what is the easiest one, that we've completely dismissed from the very beginning?
As I said in my first post, I've never done this before. Although there were unsolved murders of young women near where I live, I didn't know about your amazing work until I asked questions @ things, & got no answers, just shrugs. I'm just catching up on posts & this is late, but I'll para-phrase S Holmes as well 'when you have eliminated the impossible (Mickey making it home) whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.' can one assume that Mickey was sighted on more cameras but le is holding back & mis-directing people for whatever reasons? Can one also assume they have explored other avenues such as talking to the friends & employees at Mel's? Surely that's already happened? Has the initial carnival set-up angle been worked. Just because le said she wasn't on more cameras- that may just be what they want to release? JMO

If they do have the results back, we will probably be informed of SOME of what they learn.....they'll hold stuff back, because that is a sure-fire way to make sure that only the perp knows the whole story once they catch him.

The state police did say they were going to process the bike as quickly as possible, but we really don't know at this time if that process is over or still ongoing.
MOO but I don't think we will "probably" be informed at all. I think we'll be informed if there's a reason for us to be. Like if they need additional help from the public for one reason or another. They're not obligated to let us know what's happening in an ongoing investigation, nor do I think they should be.

BW is actually one of the few times when I haven't suspected the close family or friends even a little bit. He submitted to borderline unreasonable* requests from LE and many points of his story have been independently corroborated by video, cell phone records, or family statements. I rarely rule anyone out completely, but I cannot really muster suspicion for him right now. I do think him potentially holding a key he doesn't even know about is possible (like, if it was someone they both knew somehow).

*Borderline unreasonable just because a lot of even innocent people would not allow complete searches of their house or 16 hour interviews. Seriously, I can think of "caring" parents who have had a child abducted who refused police interviews, lawyered up and stopped cooperating because they felt "persecuted" within a week of their child disappearing, etc. Or family/best friends refusing to talk because they might implicate themselves so they get lawyers and freeze up. It is refreshing to see someone say, to hell with my privacy and comfort what is important is FINDING MY LOVED ONE.

Though, I am not sure what I would do. I realize there is always the danger of accidentally implicating yourself etc its complicated sometimes etc etc etc. Sorry, I am still trying to get through my first cup of coffee so eloquence isn't happening right now. I am just acknowledging that I know there are some legit reasons an innocent person may not grant total access to LE.
I totally get what you're saying and you get applause from me :clap:

As I said in my first post, I've never done this before. Although there were unsolved murders of young women near where I live, I didn't know about your amazing work until I asked questions @ things, & got no answers, just shrugs. I'm just catching up on posts & this is late, but I'll para-phrase S Holmes as well 'when you have eliminated the impossible (Mickey making it home) whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.' can one assume that Mickey was sighted on more cameras but le is holding back & mis-directing people for whatever reasons? Can one also assume they have explored other avenues such as talking to the friends & employees at Mel's? Surely that's already happened? Has the initial carnival set-up angle been worked. Just because le said she wasn't on more cameras- that may just be what they want to release? JMO

I fully agree, and you have some deep thinking there, I'm following you closely right now.

re: But my point is that we don't know what LPD has as far as this investigation.

Sorry, megsy, sometimes I go off on a tangent due to frustration & deja vu...
I am hoping and praying that they have a suspect/s and the information to bring Mickey home soon.
With so many of these cases, after a few days the same pattern of silence by LE & the media emerges.
IMO, this is analogous to removing the missing person posters from the poles, but on a much larger scale.
'See what I mean about going off on a tangent'?
I get you. :)

Mickey is not listed on NamUs. Someone needs to put her there....

*sigh*

So where are we?
Are we backing it up and taking everything from the beginning?

I'd be first among them.

With every trial I watch, I'm more convinced that I should have a criminal defense attorney on retainer. One never knows what's around the corner.

If I could afford it, I'd do it.

I don't have a problem with people's suspicions, as long as they are based on FACT. When someone says Brettley had a crush on Mickey, well that is NOT fact. When it is suggested that his cell phone records have never been checked, that is just wrong. When someone says the text message came after the phone call, that is not what LE is saying. If an assumption is made that LE has no idea what the text message said, that's wrong.

We need to keep all the facts in mind. Brettley DID submit to a sixteen hour interview. He DID take a polygraph. He DID turn over his cell phone records and his computer to LE. Chief Craft has said there is NO REASON to think Brettley had anything to do with Mickey's disappearance at this time.

I'm just trying to balance the suspicions by pointing out the "other side of the story."

I understand what you are saying and I do enjoy (and consider) the other side of the story too. I believe most here too enjoy the friendly back and forth until we can form our own solid theories or opinions. I think that discussing BW is just a part of what we do here....theorize and exhaust every possibility. Some will exhaust some theories or possibilities faster than others. Some things keep some of us still turning that wheel for whatever reason, as others are turning other wheels.

As far as the BW crush theory. I don't think it's a fact that he didn't have a crush, as no one would really know this 100% except for BW and/or perhaps MS. However, you are right...as far as we know there is no fact that he did. I do see how the previous poster may have questioned that though. I too thought that could be a possibility based on a statement he made on JVM:

"WALSH: so is this a dating relationship? Is this a romantic relationship?

WILSON: No. No, not at all. Me and Mickey actually got to know each other because I was dating her best friend. After me and her friend split up, me and Mickey kind of got a little closer, but it was never anything but platonic, and that was fine. "

BBM

I think you can take that statement to mean that he wanted more, but it was fine that MS didn't. However, it could also just be his choice of words and he didn't mean it that way at all. I am sure he was nervous, as t.v. appearances likely aren't on his normal routine.

Who knows really....which is why it has been discussed, I suppose.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/23/ijvm.01.html

Why in the world not?

I don't know. I've checked it twice recently and she wasn't there. Can someone go behind me and make sure I'm not entering something wrong? I mean, I use NamUs frequently but I just can't find her and its hard to believe she's not there.

BBM

Has that possibility been eliminated? Is it impossible for her to have gone home & left again without her father knowing? Was he asleep when he got called out? If so, could she have come into the house for something and left immediately?

As fast as she was moving, if her father was sleeping, it seems like she might have been able to reach the house before he was awakened and wandering around.

Not being a local, I'm likely misjudging speed/distance. I know nothing about the terrain.

Has her speed been roughly calculated here? Given time of Versailles & time of the Circle K pics, how fast was she going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea