LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my thinking, as well. I don't think this was a random crime of opportunity. I think someone had noted her out and about at this time of night before, noted her vulnerability, and formulated a plan that minimized the chances of witnesses. IMO

BBM: I agree. Aside from neighborhood folk...if someone knew her pattern, then they likely had a pattern of their own where they would cross paths with MS. Who would that be? ( I ask seriously)!

Sorry everyone, I refuse to talk about the white truck anymore. I'm sure that LE has had those pictures inhanced and they are able to see much more than what we are able to. We are missing the forest for the trees. We need to find out if there are any cameras on Johnston, going toward the Taco bell, and also if there are any on University going toward Johnston from Cherry.

Or a crowbar/tire iron. She wouldn't have had time or been able to scream if she didn't know what hit her. And blunt force trauma to the back of the head might not result in blood loss or spatter.

But then that would leave open the question: why?

If it's an abduction, wouldn't you want that person alive?

Or a crowbar/tire iron. She wouldn't have had time or been able to scream if she didn't know what hit her. And blunt force trauma to the back of the head might not result in blood loss or spatter.

I agree. Even a swift swing of a tool across the back would knock the daylights out of a petite woman.

JMO

Going to start here now that there is a new thread. To escape the camera, which I'm certain that Mickey didn't even know was there at 216 Landry, and she wasn't captured on camera going through the City Hall lot, (not that we are aware at least), she could have taken Brashear, to Cherry. There is a barrier at those two streets, both of which she could have crossed but anyone persuing her in a vehicle couldn't, which would have forced him to go around back onto University, further down than a camera would have caught him. This is my theory.
She didn't have to go all the way down Cherry unless her intent was to ditch the VOI. Her path could have taken her down St. John or Dunreath from Brashear on the way to Johnston.

I've personally suffered closed head trauma* -skull fracture- with zero skin damage or blood loss.

It's entirely possible to injure or incapacitate someone without leaving TV-ready evidence.

* Explains a lot, no?

And if she's wearing a backpack or purse that's zipped, her belongings wouldn't have scattered.

I think she was hit by a bumper or maybe open car door, hit her head, and was grabbed in a flash. :(

I fell and hit my head on the edge of a metal chair, woke up two days later, and still don't remember it happening. Probably explains a lot about me too. :p

This is my thinking, as well. I don't think this was a random crime of opportunity. I think someone had noted her out and about at this time of night before, noted her vulnerability, and formulated a plan that minimized the chances of witnesses. IMO

yes..

She didn't have to go all the way down Cherry unless her intent was to ditch the VOI. Her path could have taken her down St. John or Dunreath from Brashear on the way to Johnston.

She didn't HAVE to, but if she knew that she was being persued and knew that if she went down as far as Cherry where he couldn't go, and she turned there, or jumped the curb heading on Brashear to Johnston, then he would have had no other choice than to make that curve and come out Cherry onto University. That's why we need to know about cameras.

That's a reason that I think it's wrong that LPD doesn't have regular pressers. A couple of people have said that they don't owe the public anything but I completely disagree. They work FOR the public. With frequent pressers, they could be hammering on watching out for any unusual behavior such as you listed in your post. They could also address other issues that people are wondering about, such as cameras ("We have looked at all available surveillance video from such and such a street, from whatever street to whatever street, and we are not commenting at this time because we don't want to compromise our investigation"). Pressers don't mean they have to reveal what they have but keep the public informed. Every presser keeps the case fresh and in the spotlight and helps to alert more people to keep an eye out.

Exactly my thoughts! They don't 'owe' us evidence that would hurt their investigation but it is still odd that we have NO word from them for so long and they could be clearing some things up, giving out more truck details, etc - pleading for the community to still be looking at least. Its been since 05/30 since they told us anything except that they are having to scale back the tip line manned hours. I have to hope they have more video/images and maybe even know the truck already and are tailing it to see if they are led somewhere.

BBM: I agree. Aside from neighborhood folk...if someone knew her pattern, then they likely had a pattern of their own where they would cross paths with MS. Who would that be? ( I ask seriously)!

I recently read an excellent article during the Kelli Bourdeaux case. It discussed how a perp and victim cross paths in depth and I have been looking for it again but cant find it!
Very good question and point.
JMO

That's a reason that I think it's wrong that LPD doesn't have regular pressers. A couple of people have said that they don't owe the public anything but I completely disagree. They work FOR the public. With frequent pressers, they could be hammering on watching out for any unusual behavior such as you listed in your post. They could also address other issues that people are wondering about, such as cameras ("We have looked at all available surveillance video from such and such a street, from whatever street to whatever street, and we are not commenting at this time because we don't want to compromise our investigation"). Pressers don't mean they have to reveal what they have but keep the public informed. Every presser keeps the case fresh and in the spotlight and helps to alert more people to keep an eye out.

That's me who says they owe me nothing but a resolution. But I'm not a local. In my backyard, I'd probably be all up in their business. Apologies for not trying to walk in your shoes. There's no excuse for that.

I'm really, really, reeaaallllyyyy hoping that the silence is designed to cause more than the casual observer to think LE's moved on.

I recently read an excellent article during the Kelli Bourdeaux case. It discussed how a perp and victim cross paths in depth and I have been looking for it again but cant find it!
Very good question and point.
JMO

I don't remember it, spent lots of time on that case!! Would love to read it if you find it Wide.

Sorry everyone, I refuse to talk about the white truck anymore. I'm sure that LE has had those pictures inhanced and they are able to see much more than what we are able to. We are missing the forest for the trees. We need to find out if there are any cameras on Johnston, going toward the Taco bell, and also if there are any on University going toward Johnston from Cherry.

würd..

I agree, but I do feel that most scenarios I come up with would leave significant evidence. Baffling. :banghead:

Did Chicken ever tell us exactly how the security guard got to be speaking with MS in the first place? Did he/she wave her down and MS willingly stopped? Would it be easy for anyone to get MS to stop and chat willingly while riding her bike (not judging...just asking).

In the picture with the 25mph sign, the one that has the white blob photoshopped over the sign...where MS is on her bike...is MS stopped talking to someone where the blob is? (Not linking photo, cause I am really bad at that and I will probably blow margins). I am sure this has been discussed, but I may have missed it...although I have been trying to keep up there has been so much to wade through (understatement of the year)!!

Mickey used to cut across a hospital driveway and trespass when coming up from St.Mary from the college area onto WB St. Landry... one guard stopped her and told her how unsafe it was to be out there at night, but she sassed the guard, "if it's so unsafe, then what are YOU doing out here at 2 a.m.?." Guard replies... "honey, we can go inside if we need to.." Mickey blew it off, "Whatever, " and rode away.

Guard is broken up about it.. wishing she could have convinced Mickey to stop doing it. As soon as they heard she was missing, the guards searched the towers up and down and swarms of Mickey's friends showed up and then the police showed up with dogs and even Segways for the parking structures, and searched every inch of Lourdes property.

I think even if we find out if there are more cameras, it'll be a dead end. 1- LE asked business owners/ residents to check their footage, I'm sure people that close to the possible abduction/accident/crime scene checked. 2- What are the odds that an unknown camera location is discovered that STILL has the footage? How likely is it that these cameras are constantly recording and saving the video/stills? Because it was almost one full week after Mickey disappeared before LE released the photos from LCG, I think that could have resulted in the loss of other footage.

Or, LE does have way more than they are wanting to the public to know.

Mickey used to cut across a hospital driveway and trespass when coming up from St.Mary from the college area onto WB St. Landry... one guard stopped her and told her how unsafe it was to be out there at night, but she sassed the guard, "if it's so unsafe, then what are YOU doing out here at 2 a.m.?." Guard replies... "honey, we can go inside if we need to.." Mickey blew it off, "Whatever, " and rode away.

Guard is broken up about it.. wishing she could have convinced Mickey to stop doing it. As soon as they heard she was missing, the guards searched the towers up and down and swarms of Mickey's friends showed up and then the police showed up with dogs and even Segways for the parking structures, and searched every inch of Lourdes property.

Has the entire inside of the abandoned hospital been searched as well? Do you know, by chance?

a few people have been asking why there are no photos further down St. Landry St. there are no cameras further down. there is a 'black hole' from where she was spotted until bertrand, then from johnston st to congress. in a little while i will go take some more pictures of the area in that direction and point out the cameras like i did on the downtown side.
There is another camera down St. Landry that took this photo:
Picture-4.jpg

This was just after the camera from the Laf Gov't Bldg. I wish we had a decent press who would actually ask pertinent questions to the police like:
1. Are we certain this camera did not capture MS?
2. Did the camera capture the white truck?
3. Were there other cameras at the LFG, specifically towards the rear? In what direction?
4. Were other cameras near Jefferson St checked for the white truck before 2 am?
5. Were other cameras on Johnston, University, Congress and Evangeline checked from 2-3 am for the white truck?
6. Why haven't the surveillance videos been released?
7. Has every sex offender in the state been questioned?
8. Does the state have a database through vehicle registration where this make and model truck can be checked and crossreferenced?

But instead we get fluff by idiots who cover auto accidents. Each. And. Every. Night. That's the hardest news they cover. They are completely inept here.

Regarding the theory that someone mixed Mickey up as her sister Charlie - Charlie made a statement that it's possible that an old boyfriend of hers mixed them up because they look so much alike. If that's possible, and Charlie feels that one of her old boyfriends is that angry, hateful and/or resentful towards her and is capable of harming her physically or kidnapping her, I hope she named that person to LE so they can check him out.

CS may feel guilty for staying in BR with friends which is causing her to blame herself or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname