LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a couple of days ago about a video I saw that the cops released of a 'bike' napping ring.[ 2 yrs ago in Southern Cal ]Teens were stealing expensive mountain bikes out from riders. They would pull up just ahead of the rider, then someone would jump out and blindside the bike rider,
just simply give him a hard shove and he would fall sideways off the bike. They would grab the bike, throw it in the back of the truck and peel out. So they could do the same thing just as quickly with Mickey too. And it was quick and silent.

Hello all, I am a local student at ULL who happens to live not even two blocks from which MS was last see on video. And let me say, I, a 22 year old capable male, will think twice before traveling the streets near my house. It is very sad and surreal to know that this can happen in OUR neighborhood.

I am a frequent customer at the Circle K where MS was last seen on the camera of the Consolidated Gov building. I suppose that there is another camera at the Martin & Castille funeral home on the corner of St. Mary and St. Landry. Let me just add that further passed the funeral home is in fact a conspicuous poorly lit and desolate area. The two pictures of vehicles on St. Landry appear to be the same truck to me, and if it is, then there might really be something to go on.

Hi. Yes, I think the white truck (w/o bed cover) becomes more suspicious in that it changed directions. I'm wondering if it passed Mickey and then doubled back to abduct her.

I've used Google street view to travel your neighborhood and saw lots of sections that would creep me out, at night. Do you think there are sections where she could have been grabbed and nobody would hear or see a thing?

Agreed, though they very well may have seen something - any info about her whereabouts past that intersection would be useful, since we know nothing beyond there. By the looks of the car, it's likely a lower-income person (around that area of town, very possibly a person of color) who may well have either not heard about things (if you don't have the internet, it's possible) or who is afraid to come forward because they're afraid they'll be pegged as the killer based on the color of their skin or their income (this is the deep south, after all, and some old attitudes die hard on both sides of the racism/classism fence).

A sad, sad possibility. The thought crossed my mind about all the folks who don't have Internet access or cable TV. We assume every person in Lafayette knows about Mickey by now, but I do wonder how many people DON'T know, and further, I wonder how to reach them.

Here's what I'm seeing in the photo of Truck A (the first released truck photo)

eSvKa.png

This looks like a Ford, whereas Truck B (the next photo, showing the bed cover) looks like a Chevy/GMC. Truck C (next truck photo, in front of gas station heading same direction as Mickey) looks like a Ford, just like Truck A.

Perhaps the pic of Truck C was taken first, afterward this truck turned around, and was captured on camera again as Truck A.

Just a possible theory.

The two pictures of vehicles on St. Landry appear to be the same truck to me, and if it is, then there might really be something to go on.

Let's not jump to conclusions. There are lots of those 4 door white trucks in this neighborhood. You would be amazed. The article doesn't state that they are the same truck. It is worded to suggest they are not the same truck.

Also, the Circle K should have credit card transaction records from that time, assuming someone used one.

Two truck picks side-by-side. Notice in the one traveling the same direction MS was the dark car is at the gas pump on left side and the light color car is not there yet ... same as when MS passed the station. The light car is there when the truck (assuming it's the same truck) comes back toward University in the left turn lane.

34ez5o1.jpg

This looks like the same truck to me. I know there was a second white truck mentioned that had a cover on the bed, but neither of these pictures appears to have a cover. I am on the new iPad with the retina and am able to zoom in, without too much distortion/digitialization and I don't see a cover. In fact in the right hand picture in this side-by-side, I can clearly see where the gate is open, precluding a cover. Jmo.

I definitely think these are two different trucks:

. Taillights
. Length of bed (unless there is some visual distortion because of cam angle or distance)
. Gas cap (or lack thereof)
. Bed cover

Let's look at the photos again:

#1: original photo of vehicle of interest

bilde

#2: Photo described in the Advertiser article as being a different truck, a Chevrolet Z71,
driving in the same direction as Mickey.

bilde

#3: Photo of a truck, with a bed cover and tinted windows, described by the Advertiser as being the original truck,
taken at 1:51.27 at an as yet undetermined location (can any of you locals help out here?).

bilde

I think it becomes obvious as to the difference between the two trucks if you look and the angle of the center post between the front seat and back seat windows.

I wonder where photo #1 was taken. It couldn't have been from a screen grab from the video on Versailles, since the time stamp was later than the other images of Mickey.

'I think some of them are locked from the top, with a key being used to open it.

Also, those two trucks do not seem similar to me. Mostly because there is no cover on the bed in the one going the opposite direction, and it would have been found by now if it was discarded.

I think that the truck pictured at the intersection is the same truck, switching directions, and no bed cover. The one with a cover is a different truck and not at the intersection (have to go back and look).

I appreciate your opinion but I think Brettly came across as both creepy and weird. I felt we had an "unrequited love" scenario. But I was wrong. Well, maybe I was wrong....Brettly could have wanted more and I honestly believe in my heart he did. But he didn't hurt Mickey and I'm certainly glad we can confirm that now.

I feel for him...and also for Mickey's family. What sadness and desperation they must feel at this time....

We are all so different! I thought Brettly looked caring and sweet, a little awkward being on camera.

I agree with your post, just not so sure about the foot and the torso

As far as I know, the last person to talk to her, on the phone, was her girl friend (Ashley?) while Mickey was at Taco Bell or eating at Brettly's. I would think the Verizon records would provide the call records and, maybe, the exact time the phone was turned off.

Yes it has been reported that Ashley called MS while they were at Taco Bell. The last call recorded on MS's cell was at 1:31 AM.
BW's car is on surveillance at Taco Bell at 1:24 AM, seven minutes earlier. Did MS receive another call after she hung up from speaking to Ashley?

It was an anime convention, previous anime conventions have been held there in Lafayette. The con was called Louisianime. Their Facebook page says it was held at the Hilton Lafayette, the one located on W. Pinhook Rd. Louisianime's website is down, but I believe you can contact them through their Facebook page.

I do not really expect any foul play involved with the convention, but I just figured since it took place the same weekend it was worth checking out.

I was there. There are people of all ages, including lots of young girls in skimpy costumes without their parents. I could easily see it attracting sex predators. It also ended an hour or so before Mickey's bike ride.

Agreed that no way in hell did she go with anyone willingly.

I would agree that she would never willingly go with a stranger, but I still think it is a possibility she was approached by someone she recognized....

Hi. Yes, I think the white truck (w/o bed cover) becomes more suspicious in that it changed directions. I'm wondering if it passed Mickey and then doubled back to abduct her.

I've used Google street view to travel your neighborhood and saw lots of sections that would creep me out, at night. Do you think there are sections where she could have been grabbed and nobody would hear or see a thing?

Indeed, there are some pretty shady character lurking the streets, especially after hours. As a matter of fact, one morning as I woke up to ride my bike to school I realized that while I slept, someone cut through the chain that locked my bike to the staircase and stole my bike. Let's not rule out the fact that her bike remained at the crime seen and someone saw it unattended and stole it. However unlikely it is, the focus should be on the vehicle in suspicion. We cannot jump to conclusions about the truck on St. Landry being the same one in both picture. But in the latest picture, the white truck still appears to be missing a tailgate.

Here's what I'm seeing in the photo of Truck A (the first released truck photo)

eSvKa.png

This looks like a Ford, whereas Truck B (the next photo, showing the bed cover) looks like a Chevy/GMC. Truck C (next truck photo, in front of gas station heading same direction as Mickey) looks like a Ford, just like Truck A.

Perhaps the pic of Truck C was taken first, afterward this truck turned around, and was captured on camera again as Truck A.

Just a possible theory.

Great picture. But, I still find it difficult to believe that is a person. Yes, I do see how it is the shape of a person. However, if you compare the size of other known objects in the photo to the "person" it appears that the shape is too small to be human. For instance, the license plate is nearly half the size of the "person" and the tire is about the same size. This is not even taking into account that objects in the distance of the photo (gas station vehicles and such) are going to appear smaller, because they are in the distance, but they are actually bigger than the "person". Jmo, though....

As far as I know, the last person to talk to her, on the phone, was her girl friend (Ashley?) while Mickey was at Taco Bell or eating at Brettly's. I would think the Verizon records would provide the call records and, maybe, the exact time the phone was turned off.

A bed cover can be raised quickly...but raising it while wrestling someone resisting could be a slight challenge...could be done.

Removing a bed cover....not so quickly...I say that because I think it's 2 trucks...one with a cover and one without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther