LA LA - Nanette Watson Krentel, 49, found dead in house fire, Lacombe, 14 Jul 2017

Who killed Nanette Krentel? Unsolved death joins other mysterious north shore cases

JUL 21, 2019

"Margaret Coon, Ruth Anne Manguno, Louis Wagner, Kenneth Broyle, the Lady in the Lake — they are the victims who haunt St. Tammany Parish homicide detectives: men and women whose deaths remain unsolved, their killers, and in one case the victim herself, unknown.

But while those cases date back decades, there's a new name on the list of St. Tammany murder mysteries: Nanette Krentel, a 49-year-old Lacombe woman who died from a gunshot wound to the head two years ago this month, her body and key evidence destroyed in a house fire that, like her shooting, remains an enigma....

Sheriff Randy Smith said investigators are putting new eyes on the case, conducting new interviews and re-evaluating evidence. "My office remains committed to devoting any and all resources to help solve this case and bring closure to Krentel’s family,” he said in a prepared statement.

Those who mourn Nanette Krentel say that finding the person responsible is the only thing that will do that...."

Who killed Nanette Krentel? Unsolved death joins other mysterious north shore cases

5d35203d71144.image.jpg

(Nanette Krentel)

JUL 21, 2019

"Margaret Coon, Ruth Anne Manguno, Louis Wagner, Kenneth Broyle, the Lady in the Lake — they are the victims who haunt St. Tammany Parish homicide detectives: men and women whose deaths remain unsolved, their killers, and in one case the victim herself, unknown.

But while those cases date back decades, there's a new name on the list of St. Tammany murder mysteries: Nanette Krentel, a 49-year-old Lacombe woman who died from a gunshot wound to the head two years ago this month, her body and key evidence destroyed in a house fire that, like her shooting, remains an enigma....

Sheriff Randy Smith said investigators are putting new eyes on the case, conducting new interviews and re-evaluating evidence. "My office remains committed to devoting any and all resources to help solve this case and bring closure to Krentel’s family,” he said in a prepared statement.

Those who mourn Nanette Krentel say that finding the person responsible is the only thing that will do that...."

5d35203d71144.image.jpg

(Nanette Krentel)
I just came here to post this article. Thank you for sharing.

This article mentions that an employee of the local sheriff’s department was recently fired. It seems he allegedly provided info about Nan’s case to the federal investigator (an investigator with the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development).

In Nanette Krentel murder investigation, federal agent accused of defaming St. Tammany Sheriff's Office

Well..... I'm not going to lie. Here in Louisiana, they have a way of punishing those who speak out against corruption or exposing the good ole boy network. It's highly likely this guy didnt do anything wrong, but was rather trying to shine a truthful light. Scary how they can take you down!

Family of murdered Covington woman say they've lost faith in investigation
Sheriff Randy Smith arrested a federal agent on a defamation charge for defamation in relation to the case, but the victim's family says the agent isn't the problem

September 26, 2019

Family of murdered Covington woman say they've lost faith in investigation
Exactly. It's extremely common practice here and I have seen it first hand. A council person helping us with a community issue all of a sudden had an expose done on him for crazy crap that was nothing. It was clear it was to make him stop helping the community or there would be "repercussions ". Really, really sick and it has made me scared to trust anyone or any system. Too easy for corrupt people to ruin your life. I'm sorry for the guy who tried to help this family and the family who is at the mercy of people who silence those who try to speak up.

I'm linking below the article accompanying the WWL TV's broadcast. A couple of things that I'd didn't hear before (or perhaps I heard and simply forgot):

I didn't realize the coroner (Preston) didn't publicly rule homicide until *after* meeting with the independent pathologist (Bennett): hired by the family. Whether Preston didn't make the determination until then, or simply didn't publicly announce it until then is unclear to me.

I do distinctly remember the sheriff (Smith - re-elected this past weekend, BTW) stating that his department didn't necessarily agree with the findings of the coroner's office. I thought at the time that was a weird thing to say. Then a day later, Sheriff Smith goes on record stating that his department will actively investigate Nanette's death as a homicide.

From the article: "Bennett concluded Nanette’s death was a homicide for three main reasons: no soot in her airways, no blistering on the fire-exposed side of her torso and a lack of blood around the body." I've heard about the no soot. Those who still believe it was suicide speculate that she set the fire, then shot herself and was dead before the fire spread hence no inhaling smoke/soot. I had not heard about the two other factors (lack of blistering and lack of blood around the body). (I personally don't believe it was a suicide.)

Part 2 airs tonight.

Who killed Nanette Krentel?

Last edited:
Part 2 of WWL TV's investigative report aired last night. No new information, but it was appalling how the crime scene was handled (or not handled). Part 3 airs Friday at 10 pm.

"Video taken in Steve Krentel’s fire department unit on what’s often called a “tattle tale” camera shows him pulling up to the scene of the fire that morning with a co-worker. It’s clear in the video two STPSO units were the first to arrive and detectives said Steve’s was the first fire unit there, however it was not a fully-equipped firefighting apparatus."

'Nothing is ever going to come from this': Nanette Krentel's family raised questions about the investigation in its earliest stages

Interesting bits from an article from the local newspaper's website. Note the bold text are quotes from the article. The unbolded text is my commentary.

"The carcasses of the Krentels' two cats were also left on the site, according to the source. One of them was in a closet, the other in the bedroom near the second point of ignition, its body doused with an accelerant, sources said." (BBM)

Some folks believe Nan killed herself and staged this elaborate plan to destroy everything her husband owns and possible frame him. I don't believe that is the case and I cannot see an animal lover like Nan shooting her beloved dog and setting her cat on fire. It would have been easy enough to open a door, usher them out of the house and then proceed with the set up (the set up I don't believe happened). The killing of the pets seems very, very personal, IMO.

"But the gun wasn't the only piece of evidence left behind on the unsecured site ... <snipped by me>. So was the DVR that recorded data from the surveillance cameras. <snipped by me> ...it had been doused with an accelerant, according to the source. The DVR was so badly burned that no data could be recovered from it <snipped by me>" (BBM)

Very convenient. Why would you have a massive security system with no cloud storage? Especially when Nan was so afraid and they lived in a remote location.

"Steve and Nanette Krentel also believed that an ankle-monitoring bracelet that Bryan was required to wear was equipped with geo-fencing that would alert authorities if he came near their home.

But after his wife's death, Steve Krentel called state Probation and Parole officials to ask about it, and was told that the feature had never been activated. <snipped by me>

The video surveillance cameras Steve Krentel had installed to monitor the entrance to their property also had stopped working the day before Nanette was killed. <snipped by me>"

Bryan Krentel is Steve's brother who threatened both Steve and Nanette. The article provides a good recap. I snipped parts to remain complaint with the 10% rule.

Nanette Krentel's slaying leaves family with questions, doubts about the investigation

Last edited:
Interesting bits from an article from the local newspaper's website. Note the bold text are quotes from the article. The unbolded text is my commentary.

"The carcasses of the Krentels' two cats were also left on the site, according to the source. One of them was in a closet, the other in the bedroom near the second point of ignition, its body doused with an accelerant, sources said." (BBM)

Some folks believe Nan killed herself and staged this elaborate plan to destroy everything her husband owns and possible frame him. I don't believe that is the case and I cannot see an animal lover like Nan shooting her beloved dog and setting her cat on fire. It would have been easy enough to open a door, usher them out of the house and then proceed with the set up (the set up I don't believe happened). The killing of the pets seems very, very personal, IMO.

"But the gun wasn't the only piece of evidence left behind on the unsecured site ... <snipped by me>. So was the DVR that recorded data from the surveillance cameras. <snipped by me> ...it had been doused with an accelerant, according to the source. The DVR was so badly burned that no data could be recovered from it <snipped by me>" (BBM)

Very convenient. Why would you have a massive security system with no cloud storage? Especially when Nan was so afraid and they lived in a remote location.

"Steve and Nanette Krentel also believed that an ankle-monitoring bracelet that Bryan was required to wear was equipped with geo-fencing that would alert authorities if he came near their home.

But after his wife's death, Steve Krentel called state Probation and Parole officials to ask about it, and was told that the feature had never been activated. <snipped by me>

The video surveillance cameras Steve Krentel had installed to monitor the entrance to their property also had stopped working the day before Nanette was killed. <snipped by me>"

Bryan Krentel is Steve's brother who threatened both Steve and Nanette. The article provides a good recap. I snipped parts to remain complaint with the 10% rule.

Nanette Krentel's slaying leaves family with questions, doubts about the investigation
At this point I think it's universally accepted that she didn't kill herself. But you're right, can't see her doing that to her animals.

Things that are bothersome for me is Steve is far too cumbersome upon arriving at his own home being engulfed in flames. I would be absolutely frantic especially if my wife is not answering her phone. But maybe that's just his natural demeanor or training as a fireman to keep calm. I do draw pause hearing that the (new) cameras weren't working and then the DVR was a point being doused with an accelerant. So if it was Steve who was behind this why have bothered to have the DVR set on fire if he knew the cameras didn't work?

Some aspects of this indicate to me there was more than one person who killed Nan and set the house on fire.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 18
At this point I think it's universally accepted that she didn't kill herself. But you're right, can't see her doing that to her animals.

Things that are bothersome for me is Steve is far too cumbersome upon arriving at his own home being engulfed in flames. I would be absolutely frantic especially if my wife is not answering her phone. But maybe that's just his natural demeanor or training as a fireman to keep calm. I do draw pause hearing that the (new) cameras weren't working and then the DVR was a point being doused with an accelerant. So if it was Steve who was behind this why have bothered to have the DVR set on fire if he knew the cameras didn't work?

Some aspects of this indicate to me there was more than one person who killed Nan and set the house on fire.
To piggyback my own post, I found out the cameras inside the home worked.

To piggyback my own post, I found out the cameras inside the home worked.
So the cameras at the entrance of the property weren’t working, but the cameras inside the home were working? Interesting.

It sounds like the security system would occasionally go offline and had to be rebooted, for lack of a better term (I’m not a techie). Steve didn’t reset the system that evening.

Last edited:
Didn't follow this case, but it was just on a crime show.

This poor woman lived in fear . All day every single day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back