Found Deceased LA - Nathan Millard, 42, GA resident on business trip in Baton Rouge, last seen leaving pub, phone found, debit card used, 23 Feb 2023

I learned during the Paighton Houston case in Alabama that that state has a law that says disposal of a body that would offend “ordinary family sensibilities” is a crime. That phrase has always stuck with me. “Ordinary family sensibilities,” which I think means middle- and upper-middle class beliefs about what should be done with a dead body. This is Louisiana so the law likely reads differently and I‘d be interested to learn if that’s true and if so, how. That said, I personally understand and appreciate, IMO, how my own beliefs about how death should be handled and about fear of LE/shame/distancing factor in. He OD’d, was at some latter point wrapped up and dumped, and was at some point called in, with a reward potentially serving as motivation. This is like living on Mars to me, it’s so foreign. But it’s real, and it’s not that uncommon, and I have to recalibrate my Ordinary Family Sensibilities and attempt hard to make some good out of this awful story!
Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don’t think “ordinary family sensibilities” has anything to do with class. Whether you are richer than rich or poorer than poor you would be offended if a loved one was disposed of like a piece of trash. MOO

Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don’t think “ordinary family sensibilities” has anything to do with class. Whether you are richer than rich or poorer than poor you would be offended if a loved one was disposed of like a piece of trash. MOO

Beautifully stated.

I am waiting to see if LE is actually working on this case in the background even though they have said "no foul play" ("nothing to see here")...
RSBM

Yes, perhaps the statement about 'nothing criminal' was for the benefit of the finder, to encourage him to confess what he really knows.

Altho, I also think it was to stop speculation about the man NM was meeting with.

I think LE always have clearly defined purpose(s), when they officially communicate. They don't just blurt out whatever they feel. People who miss that agenda, may assume they are stupid, but I always assume there is method in their madness.

JMO

This may have been posted (I'm just on a quick break at work) but the current update is no signs of external or internal injury (likely in foul play IMO). Authorities suspect an accidental overdose with parties involved hiding his body. My heart goes out to his family. Nathan Millard, Georgia man found dead in Baton Rouge, had no signs of internal, external trauma: coroner
The photo in your link shows how far the garage is from the Scenic Highway, it’s a longer driveway in than I realized, whoever dumped his body there must have been familiar with that place
B03D2686-5B46-45D3-8614-9E439029F61E.jpeg

It actually is possible that there was nothing criminal taking place. I have no idea what happened here and I agree, it seems suspicious to me, but let's say IF he had a legal prescription for pain medication or for anxiety or for addiction, and he consumed a lot of alcohol. It's possible he could have accidentally caused his own death. The mixture of alcohol with some prescribed medication can have a lethal consequence. It would be labeled as OD, even if it's an overdose of alcohol in these cases. Likewise, if he was on more than one medication class I listed above and he drank even moderate amounts of alcohol, it could also lead to a fatal interaction.

Again, don't know if that's what happened. But just wanted to clarify that it is possible.

That said, agree that we need more answers. Who wrapped him in carpet and why couldn't they just call 911? JMO.
Good point about the alcohol perhaps being the problem.

It appears he was refused service at 11:30, ie, obviously extremely intoxicated.

I think probably he was still extremely intoxicated when he wandered into the bus station, and that would last for a while afterwards.

Perhaps he continued to go into bars and drink, or purchased alcohol. Perhaps he passed out somewhere for a while, accounting for some of his time.

I feel he must have died in someone's home or business, for them to have felt they needed to remove him.

Possibly, they were afraid they'd be accused of trying to rob or murder him, especially if they found his hotel keycard.

This article has a timeline of what police have released about his movements

JMO

Last edited:
The photo in your link shows how far the garage is from the Scenic Highway, it’s a longer driveway in than I realized, whoever dumped his body there must have been familiar with that place
View attachment 407848
Lobellia Ave runs parallel to Scenic Highway and that is where you access the rear of the building IMO. Pretty much at that intersection of Lobellia and Ontario is where you see the body dumping spot. Locals I imagine would be less hesitant to take a lessor travelled road such as Lobellia vs Scenic Highway in the wee hours. I am sure has been noted that it's close to a highway exit. Google maps shows that building to be the former "Rhodes of Life" (interesting play on words) Insurance Company of LA. The vacant "former" funeral home seems to be how everybody knows it. Looks likeit was a lovely building in its day. ALL JMO

Last edited:
Good point about the alcohol perhaps being the problem.

It appears he was refused service at 11:30, ie, obviously extremely intoxicated.

I think probably he was still extremely intoxicated when he wandered into the bus station, and that would last for a while afterwards.

Perhaps he continued to go into bars and drink, or purchased alcohol. Perhaps he passed out somewhere for a while, accounting for some of his time.

I feel he must have died in someone's home or business, for them to have felt they needed to remove him.

Possibly, they were afraid they'd be accused of trying to rob or murder him, especially if they found his hotel keycard.

This article has a timeline of what police have released about his movements

JMO
The thing is, to me, if he is that far gone /out of it - that it is so obvious to the bartender at Happy's- why are we hearing that he did not appear to be in any type of "distress" at the bus station an hour later and then on and on throughout the night. Being totally drunk/drugged does present as "distress" in my book. You get unsteady, slur your words, would probably reek of alcohol etc- in general just a mess IMO. The security guard just says he looked out of place ? The guy has no wallet, no phone....Is Nathan just in a walking blackout? But if so, it should not have been obvious to the bartender ? Very confusing. Also there is nothing on the timeline about the Penthouse Club - assuming that is bc LE has not confirmed this yet? ALL JMO

Wow! He wasn't alone that night.

Seems he'd made a new friend. Friend appears, to me, to be younger.
I am assuming that LE can zoom into the video for more clarity? This one to me does appear that the "friend " is kind of leading Nathan along - could be just joking around - could be lots of things. Maybe he was helping him find his hotel -or just befriending him to keep him safe. His friend might be easy to find if he is a regular in that area. Hopefully he can shed some light on this mystery. Just IMO

The thing is, to me, if he is that far gone /out of it - that it is so obvious to the bartender at Happy's- why are we hearing that he did not appear to be in any type of "distress" at the bus station an hour later and then on and on throughout the night. Being totally drunk/drugged does present as "distress" in my book. You get unsteady, slur your words, would probably reek of alcohol etc- in general just a mess IMO. The security guard just says he looked out of place ? The guy has no wallet, no phone....Is Nathan just in a walking blackout? But if so, it should not have been obvious to the bartender ? Very confusing. Also there is nothing on the timeline about the Penthouse Club - assuming that is bc LE has not confirmed this yet? ALL JMO
I imagine the Baton Rouge bus depot is a magnet for an endless parade of intoxicated and drugged people, as well as those looking for a place to sleep, or shoot up, or for the homeless to shelter in, as well as criminals trying to pick pockets, or smuggle drugs, or illegally board buses. I imagine it's the job of security staff to get rid of anyone who doesn't have a ticket, and not to be social workers (as I imagine they would explain it).

As the woman is quoted as saying "He just seemed out of place" ie I think he looked more middle class than most, even if he was slurring and staggering. She tried to help him get back to his hotel, but he didn't cooperate. I can't imagine what else she could do.

JMO

I am assuming that LE can zoom into the video for more clarity? This one to me does appear that the "friend " is kind of leading Nathan along - could be just joking around - could be lots of things. Maybe he was helping him find his hotel -or just befriending him to keep him safe. His friend might be easy to find if he is a regular in that area. Hopefully he can shed some light on this mystery. Just IMO
Probably there are other cameras that were closer to them.

I imagine the Baton Rouge bus depot is a magnet for an endless parade of intoxicated and drugged people, as well as those looking for a place to sleep, or shoot up, or for the homeless to shelter in, as well as criminals trying to pick pockets, or smuggle drugs, or illegally board buses. I imagine it's the job of security staff to get rid of anyone who doesn't have a ticket, and not to be social workers (as I imagine they would explain it).

As the woman is quoted as saying "He just seemed out of place" ie I think he looked more middle class than most, even if he was slurring and staggering. She tried to help him get back to his hotel, but he didn't cooperate. I can't imagine what else she could do.

JMO
@Cedars From the timeline you posted in this thread just above - this is the security guard's quote "The guard said Millard does not appear to be in distress, but does seem out of place." I totally agree with you that the guard sees all kind of people doing all kinds of things at that bus station. My comment was really about the both her statements - IF he was told he was too drunk/too out of it at the Happy's Bar to be served - why does he not appear to be in distress at the bus station? If he was slurring his words and staggering I would think he would fit right in and appear to be in distress. Why didn't the security guard comment to the effect "Man, I noticed he was really out of it, plus he looked like he did not belong there".
IIRC he approached the security guard initially to get directions to his hotel ? There must have been more of a conversation -
It's probably just all the missing pieces making things not add up for me but I am not getting a 2+2=4 on this yet. Just IMO

Last edited:
Supposedly, after NM was denied by the bartender he then stuck around the bar with the client drinking water. It's likely he had sobered up a bit before the station guard saw him over two hours later. And then perhaps sometime after that encounter he took whatever killed him.

In any case, the fact that he apparently managed to walk from Happy's to the Greyhound station suggests that while he may have been drunk he was probably not at the point of 'distress', however you define that term.

Amber said the first transaction was a cash withdrawal, and the last transaction was as late as Saturday night before the card was frozen.

"They haven't provided any footage," Still said. "Or any information other than that."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back