Found Deceased LA - Nathan Millard, 42, GA resident on business trip in Baton Rouge, last seen leaving pub, phone found, debit card used, 23 Feb 2023

There are no 0800 AA meetings in BR, according to the local chapter's website: https://aabatonrouge.org/meetings/?tsml-region=baton-rouge

I thought I had seen previously that it was a meeting to appraise a potential job site where the two men were going to bid on some work.
I’m surprised. I thought they were everywhere.
I saw the business meeting also. I was just hoping he was trying to stay the course while there before the crash and burn. IMO

I’m surprised. I thought they were everywhere.
I saw the business meeting also. I was just hoping he was trying to stay the course while there before the crash and burn. IMO
AA meetings are definitely everywhere (or just about!) and there are ones at 0700 and 0900 and many other times of the day, but none specifically at 0800 in Baton Rouge that I could see.

@BrownRice quoting you from above "Or at least have it remain as a family secret and not for very public knowledge.'"

As we understand it, from many reports, the victim was a recovering alcoholic/addict. He suffered from substance use disorder. Many of us are touched by addiction in our families, or have experience with it via neighbors, coworkers etc.
I have loved ones who have struggled. Relapse is part of the recovery process.

IMO Anyone who has educated themselves in this disease will understand that.
Nathan was a good and decent man who had flaws - despite his flaws and his relapse. He was loved as he was.
IMO I suspect his family would give ANYTHING to have him back here on earth with them despite this relapse. Not to enable him, but to support him and continue loving him on his continuing path of recovery.

The tragedy here is his death.

That is what this thread is all about. Was his death an innocent overdose or was it intentional by the parties he was with that night. What are the laws down that way about drugs laced with fentanyl if that was the case. Do the dealers get arrested for murder?

IMO There is no need for secrecy about any of this. There is no shame. Sweeping things under the rug rarely helps anything. Open and honest discussion I believe will help the family to be able to grieve authentically.

IMO there is a very large need universally for wider understanding of this cunning monster/disease called addiction and my hope is that along with understanding will come compassion. JMO

I thought it couldn't get any worse. The details in this are awful.

Police looking for suspected prostitutes who may have witnessed Nathan Millard's death
I wouldn't believe anything this Derrick Perkins says. I wonder if he was their "pimp." I wonder if the truth is that Millard was looking for a prostitute or a woman for the night. In steps the pimp, Perkins, who realizes that he has a very drunk guy that he can use to the fullest extent. I don't know, but aren't prostitutes often hooked on drugs? That's how the pimp keeps them under his control. It sounds like these girls were both addicts. I believe what Barner says and nothing that Perkins says. I believe that he bought drugs. Maybe, the girls shoot up and he smokes crack. So, he used Millard's card to get money to purchase both?? He sits outside the drug house smoking the crack while Guidry and Millard are inside doing drugs and having sex. Millard is not used to doing drugs and dies from an overdose (laced with Fentanyl)?? I believe that Perkins burned his own vehicle. He forced Guidry to help him dispose of the body. I believe that she'll tell the truth and end up testifying against Perkins. Isn't his bail set at $1.4 million?

Much of the above is my speculation using my common sense, which oftentimes fails me.

I think that the worker at the bus station has no motive to lie about him asking for something to make him feel better and a girl to take back to his room. However I agree that the stories we are hearing from lifelong criminal scumbags about what transpired that night are most likely 90-100 percent false. I think Nathan, despite his addiction problems had to be very very VERY naive to seek these things out from total strangers. He just was thinking about his addictions and didn't even realize that he could become the victim of criminals. So yeah, they probably drugged him with something unknown to him with the intent of robbing him. They certainly weren't trying to help him.
Well Said.

@BrownRice quoting you from above "Or at least have it remain as a family secret and not for very public knowledge.'"

As we understand it, from many reports, the victim was a recovering alcoholic/addict. He suffered from substance use disorder. Many of us are touched by addiction in our families, or have experience with it via neighbors, coworkers etc.
I have loved ones who have struggled. Relapse is part of the recovery process.

IMO Anyone who has educated themselves in this disease will understand that.
Nathan was a good and decent man who had flaws - despite his flaws and his relapse. He was loved as he was.
IMO I suspect his family would give ANYTHING to have him back here on earth with them despite this relapse. Not to enable him, but to support him and continue loving him on his continuing path of recovery.

The tragedy here is his death.

That is what this thread is all about. Was his death an innocent overdose or was it intentional by the parties he was with that night. What are the laws down that way about drugs laced with fentanyl if that was the case. Do the dealers get arrested for murder?

IMO There is no need for secrecy about any of this. There is no shame. Sweeping things under the rug rarely helps anything. Open and honest discussion I believe will help the family to be able to grieve authentically.

IMO there is a very large need universally for wider understanding of this cunning monster/disease called addiction and my hope is that along with understanding will come compassion. JMO

I think that the worker at the bus station has no motive to lie about him asking for something to make him feel better and a girl to take back to his room. However I agree that the stories we are hearing from lifelong criminal scumbags about what transpired that night are most likely 90-100 percent false. I think Nathan, despite his addiction problems had to be very very VERY naive to seek these things out from total strangers. He just was thinking about his addictions and didn't even realize that he could become the victim of criminals. So yeah, they probably drugged him with something unknown to him with the intent of robbing him. They certainly weren't trying to help him.
I went back and read the warrants of what Barner and Perkins claim happen. I tried to edit my post where I stated that I believed Barner; however, it was past the 60-minute limit. I don't believe her, either. I'm like you. Most of what both Barner and Perkins stated to police, I believe, are total lies. I just hope that Guidry tells what really happened.

I don't understand how Millard felt safe wandering the streets at night by himself. That security guard at the Greyhound Bus Station was alarmed enough to ask him if he needed help. I am sure that he stuck out like a sore thumb.

I live a pretty sheltered life; however, if I'm Millard and looking for a good time, I would be looking on Craigslist for someone who would come to my room to give me a "massage." Wouldn't that be safer?

Also, don't they have hookers in the hotel bars or near the hotels trying to hook up with the out-of-town businessmen? Maybe, I watch too many movies...

I guess that I can't wrap my head around what he did that evening. It seems like he was on a suicide mission. I also would like to hear more about this business trip and the real reason that he was in town.

When my husband is on business trips, they usually all end up back at the hotel bar. I find it strange that Millard is cut off and leaves by himself. Why didn't his business partner leave with him, or was the business partner even out at the bar with him that night?

JMO.

Last edited:
This article has some details.

Ga. businessman hired prostitutes, used drugs before his death, warrants say

Arrest warrants for the two prostitutes can be found at this link: Police arrest 1 of 2 women wanted in connection with Nathan Millard case

It sounds like he was drunk out of his mind and looking for a girl to take back to the room. How did that lead to shooting up drugs?

There is no way that I would ever chance taking street drugs or shooting up drugs due to the Fentanyl epidemic. I guess that he was too drunk to think straight?? Very sad, indeed.

Why didn't his business associate make sure that he got back to his room? Maybe, he thought that he would be okay since the room was only 500 feet away.

Aren't you supposed to be able to get NARCAN for free at pharmacies? If so, everyone (especially, those dealing in drugs) should have it around just in case. I've even thought that the everyday person should have it just in case you see someone on the street who needs it.

JMO.
So sad. Those prostitutes are so young. They’re someone’s daughters.

So sad. Those prostitutes are so young. They’re someone’s daughters.
They really aren't that young. They are 27 and 33. It seems, at this point, they are in a vicious cycle. I believe that their pimp made sure that they got addicted to drugs to keep them prostituting. There are lots of programs available to help them; however, they have to want help. It's very sad. Perhaps, this tragedy will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them to get them clean from drugs and help them turn their lives around. There is still lots of time.

JMO.

They really aren't that young. They are 27 and 33. It seems, at this point, they are in a vicious cycle. I believe that their pimp made sure that they got addicted to drugs to keep them prostituting. There are lots of programs available to help them; however, they have to want help. It's very sad. Perhaps, this tragedy will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them to get them clean from drugs and help them turn their lives around. There is still lots of time.

JMO.
The one with darker hair looks like a teenager! Well, they’re still young enough they can clean up and be productive and have a future where they feel respected and safe.

I wouldn't believe anything this Derrick Perkins says. I wonder if he was their "pimp." I wonder if the truth is that Millard was looking for a prostitute or a woman for the night. In steps the pimp, Perkins, who realizes that he has a very drunk guy that he can use to the fullest extent. I don't know, but aren't prostitutes often hooked on drugs? That's how the pimp keeps them under his control. It sounds like these girls were both addicts. I believe what Barner says and nothing that Perkins says. I believe that he bought drugs. Maybe, the girls shoot up and he smokes crack. So, he used Millard's card to get money to purchase both?? He sits outside the drug house smoking the crack while Guidry and Millard are inside doing drugs and having sex. Millard is not used to doing drugs and dies from an overdose (laced with Fentanyl)?? I believe that Perkins burned his own vehicle. He forced Guidry to help him dispose of the body. I believe that she'll tell the truth and end up testifying against Perkins. Isn't his bail set at $1.4 million?

Much of the above is my speculation using my common sense, which oftentimes fails me.
Yeah, that story he tells is fishy. I'm sure NM didn't send him to the store in the middle of his ---- with the ladies. Notwithstanding, tell Perkins to use it as a credit, not debit card.

I'll hope that happens for both of them, along with you!! I wonder, when a woman is jailed for this type of charge - are services offered to help them escape the lifestyle?

IMO There is no need for secrecy about any of this. There is no shame. ... Open and honest discussion I believe will help the family to be able to grieve authentically.
I feel compassion, but then he's not my father or my husband.

I really kind of wonder, can one dictate such a level of truly saintly compassion, that may not be available to a 7 year old girl, teen boys, or a wife who maybe had beliefs about her husband being a provider and pillar of strength to her?

JMO

Yeah, that story he tells is fishy. I'm sure NM didn't send him to the store in the middle of his ---- with the ladies. Notwithstanding, tell Perkins to use it as a credit, not debit card.
Yeahhhh… it’s funny (and by funny I mean not at all) how NM asked Perkins to “take him somewhere safe” because he believed the two in the store were trying to set him up to rob him. We’re supposed to believe that he was suspicious of the prostitutes but trusted their pimp? The only part of his story that makes a lick of sense is the part where NM feared he was being set up.

Also, I think it’s more likely that NM was hoping to buy an upper when he told the security guard at the Greyhound station that he was looking for something to make him feel better. Something that would help “sober him up” before his meeting — like cocaine maybe? But that’s JMO.

I feel compassion, but then he's not my father or my husband.

I really kind of wonder, can one dictate such a level of truly saintly compassion, that may not be available to a 7 year old girl, teen boys, or a wife who maybe had beliefs about her husband being a provider and pillar of strength to her?

JMO
There is a saying " Hate the disease, Love the person" used in groups like al anon that are for family members affected by addiction. And yes addiction truly affects the entire family.
I imagine the "adults" in the room will have to break events down in more understandable terms for their youngest.
Its kind of difficult to explain to a seven year old, how certain people's brain chemistry is different from others and what leads one person to become addicted and not another, and how the addiction alters the brain of the addicted person. I imagine a person with training will know how to handle that with the seven year old if the Mom goes that route. I imagine it will be an ongoing discussion with the Mom and daughter as she grows up.
IMO Teenagers unfortunately know a whole lot about addiction - some of their classmates are already at their first rehab in their early teens. And there is also alateen where the teenager can engage with his peers who may have have similar stories of loss/overdoses in their family.
It's certainly a very complicated situation and an emotionally explosive time for the family, to have your father/father figure/intended husband murdered. They will need to weed thru that as well as the back story. IMO there will be plenty of emotions that surface.
IMO The family will certainly need a strong support system and the love and understanding of those closest to them.
And of course, none of us know this family so I hope for the best. The Mom/intended wife, by the actions we know of through media, seems to be quite a capable strong and smart woman, so I have hope and my prayers with her - IME/IMO

Its kind of difficult to explain to a seven year old, how certain people's brain chemistry is different from others and what leads one person to become addicted and not another, and how the addiction alters the brain of the addicted person. I imagine a person with training will know how to handle that with the seven year old
Perhaps they would use dolls? They will need quite a few dolls to demonstrate the sequence of events that evening. However, just explain to the child how all these dolls have different brain chemistry from her normal dolls, including the addicted prostitute dolls, and the addicted dealer doll, etc...?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back