LA - Officer fatally shoots Alton Sterling outside store, Baton Rouge, 2016

Well, presumably he's an honorable man, and served with integrity. If so, it's too bad he is not still on the force to serve as an example to his fellow officers. I trust while still on duty, he did his part to acknowledge and identify officers who have participated in unscrupulous profiling, harassment and bigotry/racism. That's what we need for our police forces today. Not ragey, militarized warriors out to kill over disrespect, misdemeanor crimes, traffic violations, etc.

I think there is a misconception that anytime you question an action by LE that means you must be anti LE. I judge on a case by case basis.
OT ... I was very impressed with my last encounter with LE.
He was what all LE should be.
I called for a stranger near my house that was having what I later found out to be a bad reaction to drugs. I really feared that LE would hurt him because he was flipping out and not in his right mind.
The officer was calm and kind and even went so far to light the mans cigarette and put his arm on the mans shoulder while helping him walk to the squad.
We need more like this officer.

]I think there is a misconception that anytime you question an action by LE that means you must be anti LE.[/B] I judge on a case by case basis.
I called for a stranger near my house that was having what I later found out to be a bad reaction to drugs. I really feared that LE would hurt him because he was flipping out and not in his right mind.
The officer was calm and kind and even went so far to light the mans cigarette and put his arm on the mans shoulder while helping him walk to the squad.

That is not my misconception and I don't believe it is the misconception of anyone here. Someone posted upthread that they have come to view police as nothing but "scared little bullies with badges." That kind of dehumanizing talk is the type of thing that I associate with a view of anti-police as opposed to a view of let's be willing to scrutinize and even criticize police where appropriate.

When I first read sexual offender it had impact, not in deserving to be shot to death, but an "image". Obviously the age difference makes it criminal, when you read more, it was a 7 month relationship -it was 17 years ago when he was 20.

Those are the facts, and imo have no bearing on being shot to death.

There are laws regarding age differences with a minor, thats good. There are laws againist police shooting people without justification - which is clearly seen on video.

If one wants to go into the past, well one of cops had been investigated for excessive force before. Does anyone know the race in the other inicident? I will find out.

I am confident we will find that inicdent was investigated internally, solely.

The only fact I see is that you have not read the charging documents. bbm

Court records show the victim was a 14-year-old girl at the time of the offenses. According to the charging document on file in the courthouse, the victim’s mother had discovered that she was pregnant after taking her to the doctor. The document says that Sterling, then 20, had been dating the victim for about seven months and having sexual intercourse with her in her bedroom. The charging document says he admitted to the mother having sex with her daughter and exhibited an “I don’t care” attitude. Heavy.com is withholding the name of the victim and mother and all victims in the Sterling court file.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/alton...ke-shot-charges-video-youtube-facebook-watch/

Family of Alton Sterling condemns 'reprehensible act of violence' against Dallas officers

http://www.wbrz.com/news/family-of-...sible-act-of-violence-against-dallas-officers

“Our hearts break for the families of the officers who were lost as they protected protesters and residents alike during the rally,” continues the statement. “Regardless of how angry or upset people may be, resorting to this kind of sickening violence should never happen and simply cannot be tolerated.”

“We maintain that officers who violate the public trust and their training should be held accountable through our country’s justice system,” concludes the statement. “Responding to violence with violence is not the answer.”

FBI issues report about 'potential' anti-police violence in Baton Rouge, Shreveport

In a so-called “Potential Activity Alert,” the FBI highlighted social media missives that include calls to protest over the killing and a violent computer-generated graphic of a policeman being killed by a masked man. The FBI wrote in the report, distributed to law enforcement and obtained by The Advocate, that information forwarded to the agency suggested “multiple groups are calling for or planning riots and/or violence against law enforcement” in those communities.

https://www.scribd.com/mobile/docum...Officers-and-Riots-Planned-for-July-8-10-2016

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/...police-violence-in-baton-rouge-and-shreveport

FBI issues report about 'potential' anti-police violence in Baton Rouge, Shreveport

In a so-called “Potential Activity Alert,” the FBI highlighted social media missives that include calls to protest over the killing and a violent computer-generated graphic of a policeman being killed by a masked man. The FBI wrote in the report, distributed to law enforcement and obtained by The Advocate, that information forwarded to the agency suggested “multiple groups are calling for or planning riots and/or violence against law enforcement” in those communities.

https://www.scribd.com/mobile/docum...Officers-and-Riots-Planned-for-July-8-10-2016

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/...police-violence-in-baton-rouge-and-shreveport

I havent seen anything official, but I have seen tons of people on FB saying all of downtown New Orleans shut down early with expectations, too. The police were telling them either be gone by 4pm or call to request extra security. I hope that all of the precautions are for nothing. I am ready for peace and love. We have all lost enough.

I think there is a misconception that anytime you question an action by LE that means you must be anti LE. I judge on a case by case basis.

Agreed. I've worked with LE more times that I can count, and it's generally been a very good experience, and most of the folks I've worked with have been good people. That doesn't mean I will look the other way when they abuse their power or summarily execute someone.

I havent seen anything official, but I have seen tons of people on FB saying all of downtown New Orleans shut down early with expectations, too. The police were telling them either be gone by 4pm or call to request extra security. I hope that all of the precautions are for nothing. I am ready for peace and love. We have all lost enough.

The Clerk of Courts Office and other businesses closed early in Baton Rouge. They put barricades around the BRPD in preparation for tomorrow's protests. I had to be in Baton Rouge today and made a quick stop by The Mall of Louisiana :). It was like a ghost town, with extra security. Everyone I encountered was pleasant. There's hope!!

There was a second video released and it was a different angle from the first one. It looks like the cops had Altons hands pinned to the ground seconds before they shot him. I don't know how it would have been possible for him to be reaching for a gun.

There was a second video released and it was a different angle from the first one. It looks like the cops had Altons hands pinned to the ground seconds before they shot him. I don't know how it would have been possible for him to be reaching for a gun.

in the hi-res video his right hand is clearly free for most of the time they are on the ground right up until he is shot.

Hi Ninj!!!!! Bravo!

Ugh its stressful, feels powder keg eee here is live coverage guys

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2555052454001/police-shooting-protests-in-baton-rouge-la/?#sp=watch-live

I dont like this (above!). When BLM are expressing themselves (obvouly not last night) but generally it " feels" organized and purpose driven. What I am seeing now Baton Rouge - looks like a street party. There is drinking, just hanging around. This reminds me of Ferguson right now.

May be wrong - but it does not look like LE outfits - it looks camflauge outfits?? Who is that Natiotional Guard?? That makes me more uneasy for some reason.

Another big "block" for lack of a better word (!) of LE just arrived

Several hundred protesters angry about recent police shootings of black men assembled across the street from Baton Rouge Police Department headquarters, temporarily blocking streets.
A line of officers with shields fanned out in a line Friday evening to clear the street, pushing the protesters to the curb.
A large presence of police officers stood guard on each street corner of the intersection where the protesters were.
The protesters chanted, "No justice, no peace!" and "Y'all have guns. We have posters."
The police reacted calmly while protesters yelled and later the line of

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latestfamily-man-killed-police-denounces-violence-40434395

Quinyetta McMillon: 'It's not a race issue, but they're making it a race issue'

"If you are someone who can mourn the loss of Mr. Sterling and celebrate what happened in Dallas, you have transformed into the very thing you take issue with," said McMillon's lawyer Justin Bamberg.

"We have a lot of issues that need to be dealt with in this country, police brutality, unconstitutional use of force, what happened here, what happened in Minnesota, what we dealt with in North Charleston, Atlanta. These are problems that have to be addressed, but there is a way, a correct way to handle it. You allow the justice system to run its course," said Bamberg.

http://www.wafb.com/story/32405089/...-race-issue-but-theyre-making-it-a-race-issue

Hi Ninj!!!!! Bravo!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2555052454001/police-shooting-protests-in-baton-rouge-la/?#sp=watch-live

I dont like this (above!). When BLM are expressing themselves (obvouly not last night) but generally it " feels" organized and purpose driven. What I am seeing now Baton Rouge - looks like a street party. There is drinking, just hanging around. This reminds me of Ferguson right now.

May be wrong - but it does not look like LE outfits - it looks camflauge outfits?? Who is that Natiotional Guard?? That makes me more uneasy for some reason.

Several hundred protesters angry about recent police shootings of black men assembled across the street from Baton Rouge Police Department headquarters, temporarily blocking streets.
A line of officers with shields fanned out in a line Friday evening to clear the street, pushing the protesters to the curb.
A large presence of police officers stood guard on each street corner of the intersection where the protesters were.
The protesters chanted, "No justice, no peace!" and "Y'all have guns. We have posters."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latestfamily-man-killed-police-denounces-violence-40434395

Looks to me like the protesters don't know what to do with themselves.

Hi Ninj!!!!! Bravo!

I hold my breath. We need for the events of the past few days to act as a catalyst of change. Everyone is hurting. We need to step back and re examine the anger on all sides.

I can't even watch the live feed for Baton Rouge. Please let everyone keep their heads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LE going forward midnight seems to be the twitching hour

Looks to me like the protesters don't know what to do with themselves.

I agree and there is drinking -- all it takes is one wrong move -- everyone is on edge. Sitting there screaming at cops is not the answer. At least they are walking in BLM stuff- its not just screaming at people. I would not like to just be screamed at either

Phoenix, Arizona

July 8, 2016

Live streaming Protest leader heading protesters across train tracks then onto Interstate. Telling them that cars are on the busy highway, to be careful, some protesters have small children and could get killed "because THEY don't care" for BLM.

I just might have to stop watching SMH

WHY MARCH INTO THE INTERSTATE WITH CHILDREN??????????

I swear I've never seen anything like this, if this's a daily occurrence pull me out from under a rock 😳

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back