LA Woman has Bubonic Plague

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
Hearing this reported on FNC freaked me out a tad, as tonight on "House" a gal was diagnosed with this same disease - Bubonic Plague. Not a pretty site! :eek:

LA woman hospitalized with bubonic plague

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...s/california/northern_california/14372046.htm

ALICIA CHANG
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A woman was hospitalized earlier this month with bubonic plague, the first confirmed human case in Los Angeles County in more than two decades, health officials said Tuesday.

The woman, who was not identified, was admitted April 13 with a fever, swollen lymph nodes and other symptoms. A blood test confirmed she had contracted the bacterial disease. The woman was placed on antibiotics and is in stable condition, the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services said.

--> more at link

Here's another:

Woman Is Treated for the Plague

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...6380349.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

By Michelle Keller, Times Staff Writer
April 19, 2006

A Los Angeles woman is being treated for bubonic plague, the first case of the age-old pestilence in the county since 1984, health officials announced Tuesday.

The infected patient, whose identity was withheld, came down with symptoms last week and continues to be treated in a hospital for the disease, which is characterized by swollen, black lumps under the skin, officials said. She may have contracted the disease from fleas in the area around her Country Club Park neighborhood.

--> continued at link

This is frightening! I thought the plague was no longer around...guess not.

Liz,

I read that this morning and got goosebumps. I watched House last night too. Freaky...... :eek:

Pat

I know the case on House was OMG, the plague.......the dog was from a breeder in Arizona......

www.CDC.

In North America, plague is found from the Pacific Coast eastward to the western Great Plains and from British Columbia and Alberta, Canada southward to Mexico. Most of the human cases occur in two regions; one in northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado, another in California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back