Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.31.17 - Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible DM planned her murder and told her he was leaving CN and taking LB on a trip anywhere she wanted to go. Perhaps he told her to tell her friends and family she was leaving on a trip with some anonymous Dr. to buy him some time before people start looking for her. That might explain why she dropped of her money and dog off at her parents house in preparation for the trip. DM probably told her to find somewhere to sleep in the days leading to the trip because he would tell her he didn't want CN to see her at his house and blow their cover.

Didn't one of the witnesses say Laura didn't have a passport? I think it came up about the time of the border security person. IMO, it sounds like the "trip" was fake.

I think that it is a roll of the dice most days. It was my first time going and I arrived at 9:15 to go through round 1 of security. Made it up to the court room and waited for 20 mins to go in. There were about 10 people ahead of me. Apparently this was much less than most days. When we went out for the break there was a large group of students who had waited for 2 hrs so we were behind them. I abandoned and went home at that point. It sounds like some of my fellow WSers made it back in. The highlight of my day was after 4 years following these trials finally being able to put so,e faces to names that I have chatted with over here. [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know all of this. And I love the highlight of your day!! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't one of the witnesses say Laura didn't have a passport? I think it came up about the time of the border security person. IMO, it sounds like the "trip" was fake.

That is an excellent point.

I can't remember which witness said it but I do remember reading it. The border agent said LB last crossed into the US in May 2011 so she must have had a passport then. Maybe it expired?

That is an excellent point.

I can't remember which witness said it but I do remember reading it. The border agent said LB last crossed into the US in May 2011 so she must have had a passport then. Maybe it expired?

Pretty confused on this point. She obviously had a valid passport in 2011. In Canada they are good for either 5 or 10 years, but the 10 year option is a relatively new thing and I don't think it was available at the time she would have got her passport. Passports were not needed for travel between the US and Canada until 2009. Assuming that she got the passport between 2009 and 2011, it should have been good until at least 2014. Of course she may have travelled internationally at some point prior to 2009 which would have required a passport.

It was Meghan Orr that testified that she didn't have a passport...

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Laura couldn't travel because she didn't have a passport, Orr says. Did talk about her mental health. "She was seeing a psychologist."

Video of LB meowing by friend Stefan Blasiak, July 1
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1085666371761

I just watched this clip and can't help but notice how thin Laura appears. Her body language, albeit just a small glimpse, struck me as being very similar to my nephew who suffers from bipolar disorder as well as a personality disorder. He also abuses drugs as a method of self medicating. She appears strung out to me, nervous, uncomfortable etc. I get that he was trying to get her to meow but her discomfort appears to be more than that.

For those that do not have experience with mental illness and illicit drug use, it is an extremely difficult and heartbreaking ordeal. You can try to help but sometimes, you just can't break through the barriers. For the care givers and friends, sometimes you just throw your hands up in the air and walk away only to go back time and time again to try and help.

It's hard on friendships and relationships. It's unpredictable and sometimes the sick person does and says things they don't really mean. They manipulate, lie, embellish, participate in reckless pursuits and while we see what's going on, they don't think there's anything wrong with their behaviour.

I believe Laura was mentally ill, but her drug use most likely made it that much worse.

MOO

Musicaljoke, you had asked me questions based on my post last night, in the closed thread now. Sorry I don't know how to bring your post over to this thread so I just copied and pasted your post here. I hope I've been somewhat able to answer or shed light on your questions. MOO.
Your post: Thanks for this thoughtful response. You have provided a great wrap up.
Q'n: How does the timing of the breakup and restoration of their relationship, fit with his attempt to build a cremation device, and with the ordering and purchase of the emininator? Can you fit those events into your account of what may have happened?

Good questions MJ. I'll see if I can make sense of it myself hahaha. I suspect these three "friends" were having "catty" issues prior to LB's birthday (February 12th). CN knowing LB had been intimate and in a relationship with DM prior to her, CN likely carried some jealousy and mistrust toward LB. I'm only speculating of course, but perhaps it started a few months prior to that nasty text message from CN to LB on her birthday.

DM requested SS build him the incinerator (according to SS's testimony) late 2011, early 2012. I would say SS was probably more "on the money" with early 2012...which of course was right around the time of LB's birthday in February. We know LB dated SL for 18 months and they broke up at the end of 2012.

LB introduced DM to her father in 2009, and I don't think there has been any clarity as to how long they actually dated, but they had an on again off again sexual relationship, and it seems they kept in contact right up until the end of her life. Perhaps someone else can clarify as to LB and DM's relationship timeline. HTH. ALL MOO.

In late 2011 or early 2012, Schlatman testified, Millard asked him to build a homemade incinerator to "burn off garbage" from his properties.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/bosma-millard-texts-1.3500740

The Crown alleged Millard sent Noudga a text message in late spring of 2012, stating that he would eliminate Babcock from their lives: “First I am going to hurt her. Then I’ll make her leave.”
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/laura-babcock-pal-to-face-cross-examination

Megan Orr was with Laura Babcock on her last birthday, Feb. 12, 2012, when she received a vicious text from Dellen Millard’s girlfriend Christina Noudga.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/laura-babcock-pal-to-face-cross-examination

Shane Schlatman, who worked for Millard, ordered an incinerator dubbed The Eliminator on his boss's behalf in June 2012, the Ontario Superior Court trial of Millard and Mark Smich was told.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...nds-awesome-millard-s-employee-says-1.3458948

From that winter day, maybe seven or eight years ago when his daughter introduced him to her date, standing in the doorway of their home, Clayton Babcock had never spoken to the young man again.
https://www.thespec.com/opinion-sto...her-of-woman-he-s-accused-of-killing-dimanno/
According to text messages between DM, SS and MS, summarized in billandrews timeline. DM first mentioned making an incinerator to SS on May 16 2012. Texts about the failed homemade device on May 25, June 6 and 8. Texts about purchasing The Eliminator, the commercial incinerator, on June 18-21. 21 being the final instructions to go ahead with the purchase. June 29, Dealer emails SS that The Eliminator has been shipped. July 3-4 LB is allegedly killed. Delivery of The Eliminator on July 5. Email from SS to dealer on July 9. July 23, DM texts MS "BBQ is ready for meat" this is the day the crown alleges LB's remains were cremated. So far, nothing between July 9 and 23 (LB reported missing on the 14th), more texts to come?

There is a ton of stuff in billandrews timeline. It's it the ULTIMATE SOURCE. I hope LE and prosecution have access to a similar tool.

There are some interesting facts in there. On October 1 2012, MS claims to have gotten a 3500 tow truck. I suppose something went wrong with that because they might not have needed TB's truck if they had a 3500.

ETA: missed some important dates in there. Added.
Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Pretty confused on this point. She obviously had a valid passport in 2011. In Canada they are good for either 5 or 10 years, but the 10 year option is a relatively new thing and I don't think it was available at the time she would have got her passport. Passports were not needed for travel between the US and Canada until 2009. Assuming that she got the passport between 2009 and 2011, it should have been good until at least 2014. Of course she may have travelled internationally at some point prior to 2009 which would have required a passport.

It was Meghan Orr that testified that she didn't have a passport...

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Laura couldn't travel because she didn't have a passport, Orr says. Did talk about her mental health. "She was seeing a psychologist."

When did they start requiring passports to cross the border? It wasn't long ago a DL was enough to get through. I think it was just a few years ago.

Honestly after sitting in and listening to DM cross a witness today, I don't think anything he said was code for drugs or anything for that matter. I think he just is trying to come off as relaxed and he probably just misses chit chatting with other people. So comments like asking or stating that the witness' hair was magenta was just that, a comment. He is still seemingly trying to get his sea legs in the courtroom when crossing witnesses so he seems to just make awkward comments or questions, IMO.

He seemed to struggle sometimes with just the basics of crossing a witness properly nevermind being cryptic in the process.

Also while I'm on the topic, IMO, I totally believe the first witness today Dean that he has never done cocaine.

If a witness goes on the stand and happens to have a great big nose, is he going to point that out as well? Just bizarro! ha. Just when I read that, it occurred to me that he may have been trying to point out who that witness was, for someone that wasn't in the courtroom to see/hear the testimony live.. but that doesn't make sense since there's not much that could be said/done to that witness *after* she had already testified.. he's just a nutbar. jmo

If a witness goes on the stand and happens to have a great big nose, is he going to point that out as well? Just bizarro! ha. Just when I read that, it occurred to me that he may have been trying to point out who that witness was, for someone that wasn't in the courtroom to see/hear the testimony live.. but that doesn't make sense since there's not much that could be said/done to that witness *after* she had already testified.. he's just a nutbar. jmo

If you ask me, I think DM was flirting with her.

When did they start requiring passports to cross the border? It wasn't long ago a DL was enough to get through. I think it was just a few years ago.

Announced as 2008 but was delayed to 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin