Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.21.17 - Day 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here We GO !!!

Nov 21 2017 10:42 AM
After almost an hour of legal discussions, Justice Michael Code calls for the jury.

Marlena Meneses is in the witness box.

Dellen Millard stands at a tall wooden podium for cross-examination. He uses a laptop.

"Hi Marlena," he begins.

Questions for those who have attended or someone who knows how this works......is the witness there for legal arguments? Or are they brought in after?

The witnesses are not there from what I know and have seen. They might be there before the jury is back if the judge needs to warn them of something decided in legal arguments.

Nov 21 2017 10:44 AM
"By mid summer 2012, you started to spending time at my house," Millard states.

She agrees.

Millard, "You kind of liked me at first. Then you didn't like me. I used to tease you. I asked you trivia questions. You didn't know the answers. It made you feel dumb."

Meneses agreed.

Millard said he laughed at her.

"We smoked a lot of weed together?" Millard asks.

"Yes," she says.

Nov 21 2017 10:46 AM
Millard, "I smacked your butt once?"

Meneses, "More than once."

Millard doesn't remember it happening on multiple occasions, he just remembers the one time. He says it was at the hangar.

"You gave me a dirty looking, so I knew you didn't like it. It was unwanted contact... Sorry Marlena."

She maintains eye contact, "thank you."

Nov 21 2017 10:55 AM
Millard is now going through a list of all the things he bought: gas, snacks at the gas station, shopping trips to Costco to get food for BBQs, booze from the LCBO.

"I paid for everything," he sums up.

Meneses raises her voice. "At the same time, we did work for you. You felt obligated to, because of the work Mark and I did for you."

Millard points out she cleaned washrooms at the hangar, and washed cars.

Meneses said she liked to help out.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Dellen #Millard starts with good morning. Meneses keeps looking down. Seems really nervous. #LauraBabcock
10:42 AM - 21 Nov 2017

She started spending time at Millard's house mid 2012, she agrees. "You liked me at first... but not as time went on." Correct, she says. He would tease her with trivia questions. "It made you feel dumb. It wasn't nice. It hurt your feelings," She agrees.
10:43 AM - 21 Nov 2017

"It wasn't just that hurt I was causing, it brought back all those feelings from high school." She agrees she was bullied at high school.
10:44 AM - 21 Nov 2017

"We used to smoke a lot of weed. All the time, wherever we were going," Meneses agrees. He asks about the headrush on the first inhale, when you "forget where you are." She says not really. It depends how used to it you are.

I smacked your butt once right? Meneses says it was more than once. "Sorry, I forgot the more than once," he says. "Mark was sitting inside the car, I was playing with Pedo... you were behind me and all the sudden I felt a slap on the *advertiser censored*." She gave him a dirty look, she agrees.
10:46 AM - 21 Nov 2017

"Sorry, Marlena." "Thank you." She is answering curtly. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner

Jury coming in at #LauraBabcock murder trial. Marlena Meneses is already in the witness box. #Millard is ready to cross.

Dellen #Millard starts with good morning. Meneses keeps looking down. Seems really nervous. #LauraBabcock

She started spending time at Millard's house mid 2012, she agrees. "You liked me at first... but not as time went on." Correct, she says. He would tease her with trivia questions. "It made you feel dumb. It wasn't nice. It hurt your feelings," She agrees.

"It wasn't just that hurt I was causing, it brought back all those feelings from high school." She agrees she was bullied at high school.

"We used to smoke a lot of weed. All the time, wherever we were going," Meneses agrees. He asks about the headrush on the first inhale, when you "forget where you are." She says not really. It depends how used to it you are.

I smacked your butt once right? Meneses says it was more than once. "Sorry, I forgot the more than once," he says. "Mark was sitting inside the car, I was playing with Pedo... you were behind me and all the sudden I felt a slap on the *advertiser censored*." She gave him a dirty look, she agrees.

Millard puts message on screen, from Marlena to #Millard. "Dell it's Marlena, I think something happen when mark went to paint."Sept 30, 2012. #Smich had been out late vandalizing and she was worried, she remembers. #LauraBabcock
Marlena says #Millard had a car and could have met up with him at any time, so it made sense that she texted. #Smich didn't come home that night at all, she says. "If Mark was in trouble I was the one you'd call?" Yes, because you were his best friend, Meneses says.

Meneses would call #Millard because "I thought you were with him," Meneses says. And he was supposed to be like #Smich's brother
Meneses painted walls, and other things for Millard. Millard wants to know if she pays rent. She doesn't want to answer. Judge says we know she lives at home with her mother, whether she pays rent is irrelevant.

"I have a full time job, I pay for everything myself," Meneses bites out, after hedging on whether she still smokes. Millard says she didn't have a job when first with #Smich. #Millard would wake the couple up, take them for breakfast, smoke weed all day. Who paid for weed?
"I did work for you. That was my payment," Meneses said, as #Millard asks about all the times he paid for her food.

When you were staying at my house would I ever ask you to pay rent? You sat around my heated food, have BBQs, who would pay for the food at Costco? You. Cigarettes at Costco, who paid? You. Buying drinks at gas station, who paid? You. #LauraBabcock
"I paid for everything." Yes but we did work for you so you felt obligated to buy us things, Meneses says. She says #Millard asked for help, and then she asked more more work. He'd give her $20-$40 bucks on occasion for her phone as well as buy food.

Meneses helped paint a small apartment building #Millard had, and they didn't pay rent but in exchange they were working. She agrees. "While you guys were staying there, you smoked lots? Drank lots? Meneses says she doesn't drink much.

Meneses would help work on the #Millard Cadillac. #Smich wanted that car but to put it in Meneses or his mother's name because "he had issues with his licence," #Millard says. Meneses says that sounds familiar.

Meneses had taken small engine repair and was able to fix something that had frustrated #Millard. "Felt good to do a job that I wasn't able to do?" "It felt amazing," Meneses says with passion. Court laughs with her.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
10:42 AM - 21 Nov 2017

10:43 AM - 21 Nov 2017

Oops if you wanna do Lisa that's cool. I can't be reliable today anyway.

Millard puts message on screen, from Marlena to #Millard. "Dell it's Marlena, I think something happen when mark went to paint."Sept 30, 2012. #Smich had been out late vandalizing and she was worried, she remembers. #LauraBabcock
10:47 AM - 21 Nov 2017

Marlena says #Millard had a car and could have met up with him at any time, so it made sense that she texted. #Smich didn't come home that night at all, she says. "If Mark was in trouble I was the one you'd call?" Yes, because you were his best friend, Meneses says.
10:49 AM - 21 Nov 2017

Meneses would call #Millard because "I thought you were with him," Meneses says. And he was supposed to be like #Smich's brother
10:50 AM - 21 Nov 2017

Meneses painted walls, and other things for Millard. Millard wants to know if she pays rent. She doesn't want to answer. Judge says we know she lives at home with her mother, whether she pays rent is irrelevant.
10:51 AM - 21 Nov 2017

"I have a full time job, I pay for everything myself," Meneses bites out, after hedging on whether she still smokes. Millard says she didn't have a job when first with #Smich. #Millard would wake the couple up, take them for breakfast, smoke weed all day. Who paid for weed?
10:52 AM - 21 Nov 2017

Oops if you wanna do Lisa that's cool. I can't be reliable today anyway.

No problem you go ahead. I just didn't see anyone posting Lisa's. I am signing off now so thanks!!

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

"I did work for you. That was my payment," Meneses said, as #Millard asks about all the times he paid for her food.

When you were staying at my house would I ever ask you to pay rent? You sat around my heated food, have BBQs, who would pay for the food at Costco? You. Cigarettes at Costco, who paid? You. Buying drinks at gas station, who paid? You. #LauraBabcock

"I paid for everything." Yes but we did work for you so you felt obligated to buy us things, Meneses says. She says #Millard asked for help, and then she asked more more work. He'd give her $20-$40 bucks on occasion for her phone as well as buy food.

Meneses helped paint a small apartment building #Millard had, and they didn't pay rent but in exchange they were working. She agrees. "While you guys were staying there, you smoked lots? Drank lots? Meneses says she doesn't drink much.

I can do LH tweets as long as people are ok with us potentially being a little behind.....flu shot season and all ;)

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

Meneses would help work on the #Millard Cadillac. #Smich wanted that car but to put it in Meneses or his mother's name because "he had issues with his licence," #Millard says. Meneses says that sounds familiar.

Meneses had taken small engine repair and was able to fix something that had frustrated #Millard. "Felt good to do a job that I wasn't able to do?" "It felt amazing," Meneses says with passion. Court laughs with her.

Photo of an iphone with a pink case. Meneses agrees that was hers, given to her by #Millard. It was his old phone. IPhone 4S. Cracked screen when #Millard had it. Combination birthday present-slash-you bought it, #Millard describes the transaction.

Meneses paid $50 to fix the screen. She agrees the phone was worth about $1,000 at the time. "How do you spell the word hangar?" Crown objects. What is the relevance? Meneses has big grin.

"I'm not trying to tease her your honour, I'm sure she knows how to spell hangar," Judge says no. Despite his teasing she learned from him. "Oh, I have learned a lot from this," Meneses says emphatically.

Meneses didn't like it when Smich and Millard went to strip clubs, for example. She would tell #Smich it was because of #Millard. "I functioned as Mark's shield didn't I?" If that's what you want to call it. She agrees Millard was to blame if Smich did bad things.

Meneses agrees that #Smich mistreated her in the relationship. "It was controlling and abusive." Correct.

#Smich called Meneses ***** and "The *****" rather than girlfriend, in front of other people. Meneses agrees. #Millard did nothing to stop it. "What's a break up party?" I don't know, why don't you tell me?

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

Meneses and #Smich would argue and #Millard would tell them to have a breakup party. Millard would tell them to break up. "I should have told you it was for your own good." Meneses agrees he should have.

Mark #Smich and his mother did not have much cash, Meneses agrees. Feeding her was a burden? #Smich made it seem more so than it was, she said. That's when they moved to #Millards for awhile.

The iPad in summer of 2012, Mark said, Dell wanted me to give this to you but I'm going to keep it but don't worry you can use it too. Meneses agrees that happened, after the three of them took the incinerator to Millard's farm then hangar. #LauraBabcock

"Im pretty certain I did not see that iPad until after that incident." That happened on July 23rd, Millard says, the court has heard this. If there are photos of you on July 5, 6,, 7, two weeks before, is that data wrong or your recollection? "My recollection could be wrong."

Meneses has given several interviews to police, she agrees she has read over them before court. "Are you aware certain things don't match up?" She's not. June 13, 2013 statement to police, she's asked to check. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

Millard wants her to look at a conversation about how many times she's seen the eliminator. She first told police she saw it once before. "But I didn't mean once. And I clarified with the amount after."

In December 2013 Meneses told police that she thought she'd seen the eliminator twice. Two or three times. She agrees she doesn't remember exactly how many times she saw the large animal incinerator. #LauraBabcock

Meneses told police she never saw the machine used, and that she didn't know if #Smich and #Millard had used it. But before the weekend, in chief, you told us you saw it being used. Meneses says she told police years ago she had seen it used. #LauraBabcock

She agrees that in June 2013 she didn't tell police she'd seen it used and in a later statement she admitted seeing the incinerator in use by #Millard and #Smich. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

Meneses testified that she was told to wait in the car and put her headphones on and look straight ahead. Millard wonders who specifically told her this. "This is about 'they,'" #Millard says. They didn't say the same words in unison, surely

Meneses doesn't remember which of the two accused told her not to look but she thinks they came one at a time and told her the same thing. "Stay in the back, don't pay attention to us." #LauraBabcock

Millard is reading Meneses interview with police, in which she tells them she got out of the car at the farm, with her headphones in, ignoring #Smich and #Millard, playing with the dog Pedo. She says it was cold out because it was late at night. Described the farm to police.

Meneses did not tell court in her examination in chief that she ran around the farm with the dog while #Smich and #Millard were working the incinerator in the barn. She says everything she has said in court was in her cumulative statements to police.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

"Jill, can you help me out?" Meneses asks the crown, who says she will show Meneses other statements she made in her opportunity to re-direct questions. Millard has woollen glove on screen, with pink stripes. Meneses remembers they were hers. Found on #Millard farm.

Photo of gun on screen. "You saw this gun at my house?" Yes, Meneses was in #Millard room. Meneses had wanted to go to a shooting range, was worried about recoil effect. They were having a conversation about it, and Millard left to get the gun. "I don't recall," Meneses says.

Meneses doesn't remember Millard leaving to get the gun. She remembers the gun just sitting on Millard's bed and that's how the conversation started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix