Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.11.17 - Charge to the Jury - Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think they have entered/shown the totality of the texts recovered.
I believe they are only showing texts they feel relevant to the case so as to not convolute their message.

If there's a period of time where texts are absent, I suggest it's because they were either
1/ not recovered, or
2/ recovered, and deemed irrelevant or inadmissible.

I get that, but there is a steady stream of texts throughout the month between DM and SS. It just shows that Smich was saying nothing relevant to the case in the weeks leading up to the event. In the TB crime there were incriminating texts galore in the days before. Nothing here.

Do we know if we are seeing all the texts sent back and forth though? Or are we seeing only ones selected by the crown, and then there is a good chance some texts have been restricted from the jury. So it is hard to say for sure there are no texts during that period.

I do agree from what we have seen he was not involved in the planning to murder Laura. I have seen nothing to suggest he ever even met her.

We most definitely aren't seeing everything, but we are seeing everything important.

We most definitely aren't seeing everything, but we are seeing everything important.

We do not know what is being kept from the jury, but I am sure we will consider it important when we hear it, and be miffed the Jury didn't!

Wasn't DM out of the country in parts of June? Probably nothing relevant that crown wanted to present as evidence. These guys seemed to be serial texters.

I think he was gone for most of April and again in July/August. But I think he was home in June.

MOO

Almost five and a half years later. Three senseless and evil murders. Two vile creatures. The second victim's trial coming to a close, where I feel in my heart justice will prevail for Laura. MOO.

Adam Carter
Code says he will finish his review of the evidence today, and then finish a small part tomorrow morning. The jury will then start deliberating on a verdict tomorrow morning. Of the 14 jurors, only 12 will actually deliberate on a verdict. Two were alternates.

Did they ever show the incoming calls/texts that weren't received/read after the alleged murder?
From what I gather, the cell provider records should still show missed calls (maybe not texts-in-waiting, though?)

Point is ... it could be just as telling as the contact leading up to her alleged murder.
Before -- lots of DM communication
After -- never once called or texted

I don't know if this was ever introduced. I can't remember any chatter or testimony on it.

Actually -- thinking now about my phone bill ... I don't see missed calls on it. Would the provider be pulling this from their raw data though?

I would think that the only information that would have been available after she stopped using the phone would be any voice mails she received until the voicemail was full?

Code is now running through the evidence about Millard trying to get in touch with Matthew Ward Jackson, about buying a gun. This started in Jan and Feb 2012.
by Adam Carter 11:38 AM

The actual sale of the .32 calibre gun Millard bought happened sometime in late Jun/early July.
by Adam Carter 11:40 AM

We're now taking the morning recess. Back in 20 minutes.
by Adam Carter 11:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Millard acquire the Walther in Feb 2012? If so, I'm unsure why the Crown would not have alleged that was the murder weapon, instead of the .32 that may or may not have had ammo by the time of Laura's alleged murder?
Perhaps its relation to the Bosma murder led to its being argued out? If that's the case, choosing to go with the .32 seems... I'm not even sure what word I'm looking for. Sloppy? Deceptive? Something about these gun theories just feels off to me.

I would think that the only information that would have been available after she stopped using the phone would be any voice mails she received until the voicemail was full?
As long as the phone was turned on, it would still receive incoming texts, even if they were never read, no?

We're back in the courtroom right now, just waiting on the judge.
by Adam Carter 12:08 PM

Court is now back in session.
by Adam Carter 12:12 PM

Code says we're now moving into a much more central time period in the text messages.
by Adam Carter 12:12 PM

Tick tock- we are getting so close to Jury deliberations! Code is laying it out very well. MOO

Now, we're seeing a text from Millard to Babcock: "Of course I don't know your disorder, it's yours and you don't know anyone else's. It's unfortunate you got dealt a bad hand. I don't blame you for your disorder, but it's up to you to manage it. This is your life Laura, it's all you'll ever have, you can cry and wine about your malformations, or you can be appreciative ... you are harmful to me, please don't try to contact me until you've made some huge leaps of self discovery. As I said before, good luck with life."
by Adam Carter 12:16 PM

62 text messages were exchanged between Noudga and Babcock on the night of April 16, 2012, Code says. As you'll recall, a love triangle between Millard, Noudga and Babcock is the alleged motive for the murder, the Crown says.
by Adam Carter 12:18 PM

"Mr. Millard relies on the absence of any threats or animus in his own April 16 text to Ms. Babcock and he stresses that he was telling her not to contact him until some future time when she was better," Code says.
by Adam Carter 12:20 PM

Code now going through texts about Millard's trip to the U.S. in March and April of 2012.
by Adam Carter 12:21 PM

Code is now going through the texts between Millard and Noudga in April of 2012. He says this section is crucial for the Crown in motive allegations. In these texts, Noudga asks "Did you have sex with Laura while we were together?" Millard responds "nope." Noudga presses him on it, and Millard says "I did not ... have sex with Laura since long before we had sex for the first time."
by Adam Carter 12:25 PM

Millard also says in to Noudga, "I pity her, she really is mentally ill." These are the texts where Millard and Noudga compare Babcock to herpes. "First I'm going to hurt her, then I'll make her leave," Millard says.
by Adam Carter 12:27 PM

"I fancy myself something of an undercover doctor. I think with the right treatment, these herpes can be gotten rid of," Millard says. He also says "I will remove her from our lives."
by Adam Carter 12:28 PM

I think he was gone for most of April and again in July/August. But I think he was home in June.

MOO

Thanks I was thinking the Euro trip was before the events in question but it was after.

Noudga also says in these texts that Millard saying these things makes her feel "really loved and all warm on the inside." Millard also says "Nothing like sinister insinuations to make you feel all warm and fuzzy."
by Adam Carter 12:30 PM

"The Crown's position is that these texts indicate the formation of a motive to "hurt her ... make her leave ... remover her from our lives," Code says. Millard, by contrast, says he was only trying to make Noudga feel "loved and secure" here.
by Adam Carter 12:32 PM

Also seeing some recap here of texts between Michalski and Millard, about Michalski having a date with Babcock, and the two texting back and forth.
by Adam Carter 12:34 PM

We're now moving on to texts from May, which outline the homemade incinerator that Millard asked Shane Schlatman to build.
by Adam Carter 12:36 PM

This is the incinerator that was basically a series of steel drums welded together. It never worked, and apparently almost blew up in Schlatman's face.
by Adam Carter 12:37 PM

In one of the texts about testing this incinerator, Smich texts Millard "Do u have any bones for tonight?"
by Adam Carter 12:38 PM

I do agree from what we have seen he was not involved in the planning to murder Laura. I have seen nothing to suggest he ever even met her.

Correlation is not causation.

The former can (and did, IMO) absolutely happen without the latter.

The discussion about the phone pings near the Clairville conservation area had me thinking...do we know which Sleep Country location he visited on the 4th? A quick search shows a store relatively nearby. I don't have the phone ping exhibit handy to check, but could this be the stop in question?
a86dd49b414d07f722412423fe026ced.jpg

Code says. Millard, by contrast, says he was only trying to make Noudga feel "loved and secure" here.
by Adam Carter 12:32 PM

There are various thought avenues on how CN could be made secure.... :jail:

As long as the phone was turned on, it would still receive incoming texts, even if they were never read, no?

Yes, that's true. That could be where they got the pings before the phone lost all contact on July 4th near Indian Grove in Mississauga.

"If you go swimming you can find the phone". Once it was destroyed, possibly by being submerged, it would not receive any texts but I would think the voicemail would continue until it was full? Not sure if that would generate incoming numbers on her phone bill.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member