Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.12.17 - Final Charge - *Verdict Watch*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what??

SS was linked to gay/lesbian dating sites?? I don’t recall that at all. Did this come out during the TB trial?

No. I just happened to run across the dating sites while googling SS's nicknames and shared my findings here with the group.

RSBM. Thank you! I love the additional reading material.I find this all quite fascinating. I think "segregation", "protective custody", "solitary confinement" are all terms that loosely describe the same thing, but then there's elements of voluntary, involuntary, administrative, and punitive.

Yes, I do recall that DM mentioned in his letters to CN that he was in some form of segregation/protective custody at Barton.
I think there are some documentaries on Netflix that might be of interest on the topic of life in prisons. Although likely not Canadian.

No. I just happened to run across the dating sites while googling SS's nicknames and shared my findings here with the group.
Wow, first I'm hearing of this also. What a strange bit of information, considering the guy is married.

rsbm

One thing that really shocked me when I was on this tour was the assertion that there were no literacy programs or educational opportunities or skills training of anything at all for prisoners except what was provided by volunteers. Since many of those sent to jail - especially young people - are deficient in basic skills, I thought this was a serious shortfall. Kids emerge from jail with a PhD in various criminal skills, but unless they are very lucky, don't have a chance to learn to read or do math.

I have some neighbours who did literacy tutoring as volunteers at Maplehurst. Wonderful folks. They said the need was absolutely overwhelming, but they could only help a few.

I agree that the need for literacy tutoring among inmates is huge, and I applaud the volunteers, but it's difficult to run an effective program in the provincial jails because most inmates are there only for short periods of time. According to Stats Canada:

"The length of time spent in custody tends to be short. In 2015/2016, more than half (51%) of adult offenders released from remand in the 12 reporting provinces and territories were held for one week or less and more than three-quarters (76%) were held for one month or less."

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2017001/article/14700-eng.htm

We have an idea about DM's literary skills, but do we know anything about MS' education? We know that he has some basic reading/writing ability from his text messages, but do we know if he ever graduated from high school?

I think there are some documentaries on Netflix that might be of interest on the topic of life in prisons. Although likely not Canadian.

Justice within the prison system is something that, as a society, Canadians support. There are some horror stories of prison abuse in Canada, but I believe that the general culture does not support injustice and abuse. We have to take care that we don't become a society, like some other civilized societies, where prison abuse is rampant and supported by society. Click on on the thumbnail to see the connection between the Netflix documentaries, and the country where abuse is often unchecked.

Attachments

• c-gb02-eng.gif
    c-gb02-eng.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 40
I agree that the need for literacy tutoring among inmates is huge, and I applaud the volunteers, but it's difficult to run an effective program in the provincial jails because most inmates are there only for short periods of time. According to Stats Canada:

"The length of time spent in custody tends to be short. In 2015/2016, more than half (51%) of adult offenders released from remand in the 12 reporting provinces and territories were held for one week or less and more than three-quarters (76%) were held for one month or less."

We have an idea about DM's literary skills, but do we know anything about MS' education? We know that he has some basic reading/writing ability from his text messages, but do we know if he ever graduated from high school?

When Smich was arrested and jailed in 2013 he had a grade 10 education. He completed his GED between that time and Tim’s trial in 2016. We learned that through his testimony, and there were various reports from teachers read by Dungey. From May 11, 2016:

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 6m6 minutes ago
HE wrote 2 day, 8 hour exam and passed every section. "Dedicated, capable and engaged participant," wrote his instructor. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 6m6 minutes ago
Mark was a dedicated student, the letter says, and intends to continue his education. He was a pleasure to work with.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 6m6 minutes ago
"He took initiative in his learning and asked for help when needed...it was a pleasure to work with Mark and I wish him success..." #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 5m5 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Dungey reads out education information from Smich's time in jail. A program director writes Smich was 'a pleasure to work with' #Bosma

Colin Butler ‏@ColinButlerCBC 5m5 minutes ago
His certificate calls him "dedicated" and the program manager said he was "a pleasure to work with" #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 5m5 minutes ago
""It was a pleasure to work with Mark," wrote teacher. He

Justice within the prison system is something that, as a society, Canadians support. There are some horror stories of prison abuse in Canada, but I believe that the general culture does not support injustice and abuse. We have to take care that we don't become a society, like some other civilized societies, where prison abuse is rampant and supported by society. Click on on the thumbnail to see the connection between the Netflix documentaries, and the country where abuse is often unchecked.

The US has a private, for profit prison system. You can see how that works out...

It seems like parts of our legal system are as warped as DM and MS. Not that $ will give the families of TB and LB peace but I would rather them get it then the lawyers... Don't get me wrong. I am not throwing all layers in the same pile... Just the ones who practice solely for $. It used to be a calling... Social Justice. These days I am not so sure! I liken it to the Teaching profession...Some do the job for the love of kids, the satisfaction of helping and teaching others. But these days some do it for the pay and summers off... Some good...Some in it for themselves... Bless the ones who chose their profession mainly to help people in need. To those who are mostly in it for themselves, I suspect that later in life they will regret it and have to (in their own minds) deal with the consequences. my2cents

MyTye, you may be right about some lawyers but I promise you NOBODY gets into teaching for the pay! They're paid much, much less than they deserve, have hardly any opportunity for promotion, zero bonuses or rewards for a job well done & pretty subpar benefits. The summers off are forced vacation time that they are NOT paid for. A certain percentage is taken from their pay that they earned during the year & deposited to them during the summer. Half the summer is usually spent preparing for the next year because they can't afford to go anywhere anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993