Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

I agree. The capitalization of words mid-sentence. Referencing mundane and irrelevant details that have nothing to do with defending his character. It seems that DM wanted to put more info about him out there in the public eye and he wrote this, sent it via email and got his mother to sign it. What does going to live in Paris have to do with anything? Questioning whether it was an honest invitation to go there (France) is a "tell" that DM wrote this. He stayed to take care of his dad instead. OK and take advantage of him and allow partying, concerts, spending his money and travelling all over the place anyway.

And this letter is not the "curious" letter. Wow.
Took advantage of him, turned his business into a chop shop, then allegedly murdered him. Best possible care the man could have received from a son, obviously.

My guess is that he wrote it and gave direction and she signed it. It is in the same detached tone and style as the WM obituary and as the cross examination style. From the limited times that we have seen his writing to CN, his cousin and the jailhouse groupie he seems to be boastful and has a juvenile sense of self importance. He lacks the ability to understand that ‘Skiing alone at 5 years of age’ would never be a determining factor when deciding sentencing for a second 1st degree murder charge. He doesn’t seem to grasp the difference between having a skill and owning possessions versus having strong character or redeeming qualities. Old ‘Walt Disney’ lives through song and movie references and not real life examples. He uses made up terms like reading ‘globally’ by age 2 and not realizing that the rest of the world sees through the BS. It is like he assumes that the judge and public would say ‘hmmm, he is more intelligent than the average person. There is no way that he would murder someone. It would be a waste to society to have such a high level of intelligence behind bars. He needs to be out on the streets doing great things’. He is delusional and so is his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, the typical third person tone he uses. MB truly is an *advertiser censored** rabbit, in my opinion.

Could a mod please pm me to explain why my post re antagonistic defence has been deleted? Thank you!

What a strange letter.

I'm surprised about all the good things said about his Dad. And so supportive of grandparents on both sides. I agree that DM wrote it. I think this was written to help him with the trial for his Dad's murder.

MB's brother did something that made WM hate him? (I have a theory).

DM went to live with his uncle, but something happened when DM was 17. Then his favourite (male) cousin went to France to go to school, and the Uncle and his entire family moved there too? What was this bad thing that happened?

My theory... DM did something to his female cousin, but turned the story around (to his Dad) that uncle had done something to DM. And Dad and MB believed DM?

What a strange letter.

I'm surprised about all the good things said about his Dad. And so supportive of grandparents on both sides. I agree that DM wrote it. I think this was written to help him with the trial for his Dad's murder.

MB's brother did something that made WM hate him? (I have a theory).

DM went to live with his uncle, but something happened when DM was 17. Then his favourite (male) cousin went to France to go to school, and the Uncle and his entire family moved there too? What was this bad thing that happened?

My theory... DM did something to his female cousin, but turned the story around (to his Dad) that uncle had done something to DM. And Dad and MB believed DM?

Interesting theory and very similar to what I was thinking when RB was testifying.

Wow! What incredible insight into DM and MB and their relationship. I think MB and DM worked on this strange composition together, a “joint” effort if you will, just as I believe they did for WM’s obituary (and perhaps EG too). Regardless of who specifically created the letter, MB signed it, so now she must own it completely, IMO.

To speak of herself in the third person is weird but also informative and highlights to me MB’s ability to distance herself from the reality of DM and of her herself and others and their lives. There is a striking sense of detachment in this letter as if no true feelings are behind the words. The message is coldly contrived and empty of meaning.

When MB states that she is the only person who knows the real DM and “I need to speak his truth as I see it”, I knew it was only going to get worse.

When MB shamelessly wrote how DM protected the “marginalized, weaker and lacking in some way” it smacked me in the face as I thought of how often and how cruelly LB was referred to in these terms.

When MB rhymed off the following attributes of DM, I swear she had him confused with DM’s victim, TB! “Dellen is a reflection of the values he has been raised with; Compassion, loyalty, generosity, and hard work.” Yes, MB, I actually agree with you – DM is most definitely a reflection of the values he was raised with!

MB said that DM didn’t experience “the joy of the tribal community” I wondered if this mention was intended to give credence to his purported Indigenous roots. She went on about how DM was an only child as if that fact deserves somehow to be pitied but then goes on to talk extensively about his close ties with cousins. Many digs to the family in this letter and it’s intentional and obvious, IMO, and it’s as if they did not even bother to consider their audience and the reason for this letter in the first place. I cannot imagine what Justice Code will make of it all, but I cannot imagine anyone reading its contents and being swayed to sympathy or empathy for DM or MB.

The mention of the setup of DM by his high school peers about removing chemicals from the classroom is also telling of a mother and son who lack all insight into themselves. Why even mention this incident unless the Court has school documents from DM’s past that tell a different version of this story? And the mention of “neighbourhood kids who wouldn’t share their toys” – MB would want the reader to believe that DM is always the victim in all circumstances large and small.

For self described deep, intelligent people, this letter is the height of stupidity, IMO.

MB states that she was hoping DM would go to France when he was twenty years old. I believe that MB did wish him to be far away where she could have minimal contact, content to live out the fantasy of the son that lived only in her imagination. MB is IMO beholden to DM because she is financially dependent on him, IMO, (DM as kind, loving and generous) so she cannot reveal deeper truths about DM because she would be cut off and because she likely cannot see it herself, or if she can, she could not handle the guilt of knowing and never having intervened or at the very least, helped him after the fact by standing up to the truth and denouncing his crimes. Denial is a much more comfortable place to reside for both DM and MB. MB is, in my opinion, a great example of the ultimate enabler.

The mentions in the letter of kindness to insects is so disturbing. That MB prays that DM will stay the same “wonderful soul I know, and he is not marred by the tragic events that have lead him to the inexplicable abandonment he surely feels” is bizarre!

Here’s a suggestion for what MB might be better to write if she has another opportunity at a sentencing hearing in the future:

“Your honour, I love my son with my whole heart. His actions took me by complete surprise as the man I see now is not the son I thought I and his father had raised. That son was kind and loving. The man I now know is proved to be guilty of murder by his own actions, and is cruel, calculating, and cunning. He is a killer of innocent people and he shows no remorse for taking two lives. He accepts no responsibility for his crimes and the resulting heartbreak experienced by the victims’ families and friends, or by his own.

Upon deep, honest and painful reflection, I now see signs that my son needed help in his youth that I and his father did not then see and nor did we intervene to get him the help that could have possibly prevented the tragic trajectory of his life. For all my days I will live with sorrow, regret and self-condemnation. I am his mother and I will love my son forever without fail, but I want you to know that I will do everything in my power to see that he gets the therapeutic support in prison to help him come to terms with himself, his past and his future. I don’t know if there is any therapy that will be able to help my son, but I must hope that somehow, he can be rehabilitated. I believe that change is possible for my son, but I acknowledge that it will be a very long road to realize such change.

My heart is with the victims, their families, their friends and their communities. Their sorrow is endless.

I beg you to show mercy to my son. I will likely die long before he is released from prison. Please trust that I while I am living, I will do everything possible to help him become the kind of man he had the potential to become.”

ALL MOO.

ABro has published Madeleine Burns’ letter in its entirety on her website. Thank you very much, Ann!

http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/201...t-of-dellen-millard.html/madeleineburnsletter

ETA: Although I am slightly empathetic to MB as, after all, she is DM’s Mom, I am speechless as to the contents of her “character” letter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this letter with us, MrsThreadgoode! :loveyou:And thanks to AB for posting it on her site.

All MOO.

Wow! What incredible insight into DM and MB and their relationship. I think MB and DM worked on this strange composition together, a “joint” effort if you will, just as I believe they did for WM’s obituary (and perhaps EG too). Regardless of who specifically created the letter, MB signed it, so now she must own it completely, IMO.

To speak of herself in the third person is weird but also informative and highlights to me MB’s ability to distance herself from the reality of DM and of her herself and others and their lives. There is a striking sense of detachment in this letter as if no true feelings are behind the words. The message is coldly contrived and empty of meaning.

When MB states that she is the only person who knows the real DM and “I need to speak his truth as I see it”, I knew it was only going to get worse.

When MB shamelessly wrote how DM protected the “marginalized, weaker and lacking in some way” it smacked me in the face as I thought of how often and how cruelly LB was referred to in these terms.

When MB rhymed off the following attributes of DM, I swear she had him confused with DM’s victim, TB! “Dellen is a reflection of the values he has been raised with; Compassion, loyalty, generosity, and hard work.” Yes, MB, I actually agree with you – DM is most definitely a reflection of the values he was raised with!

MB said that DM didn’t experience “the joy of the tribal community” I wondered if this mention was intended to give credence to his purported Indigenous roots. She went on about how DM was an only child as if that fact deserves somehow to be pitied but then goes on to talk extensively about his close ties with cousins. Many digs to the family in this letter and it’s intentional and obvious, IMO, and it’s as if they did not even bother to consider their audience and the reason for this letter in the first place. I cannot imagine what Justice Code will make of it all, but I cannot imagine anyone reading its contents and being swayed to sympathy or empathy for DM or MB.

The mention of the setup of DM by his high school peers about removing chemicals from the classroom is also telling of a mother and son who lack all insight into themselves. Why even mention this incident unless the Court has school documents from DM’s past that tell a different version of this story? And the mention of “neighbourhood kids who wouldn’t share their toys” – MB would want the reader to believe that DM is always the victim in all circumstances large and small.

For self described deep, intelligent people, this letter is the height of stupidity, IMO.

MB states that she was hoping DM would go to France when he was twenty years old. I believe that MB did wish him to be far away where she could have minimal contact, content to live out the fantasy of the son that lived only in her imagination. MB is IMO beholden to DM because she is financially dependent on him, IMO, (DM as kind, loving and generous) so she cannot reveal deeper truths about DM because she would be cut off and because she likely cannot see it herself, or if she can, she could not handle the guilt of knowing and never having intervened or at the very least, helped him after the fact by standing up to the truth and denouncing his crimes. Denial is a much more comfortable place to reside for both DM and MB. MB is, in my opinion, a great example of the ultimate enabler.

The mentions in the letter of kindness to insects is so disturbing. That MB prays that DM will stay the same “wonderful soul I know, and he is not marred by the tragic events that have lead him to the inexplicable abandonment he surely feels” is bizarre!

Here’s a suggestion for what MB might be better to write if she has another opportunity at a sentencing hearing in the future:

“Your honour, I love my son with my whole heart. His actions took me by complete surprise as the man I see now is not the son I thought I and his father had raised. That son was kind and loving. The man I now know is proved to be guilty of murder by his own actions, and is cruel, calculating, and cunning. He is a killer of innocent people and he shows no remorse for taking two lives. He accepts no responsibility for his crimes and the resulting heartbreak experienced by the victims’ families and friends, or by his own.

Upon deep, honest and painful reflection, I now see signs that my son needed help in his youth that I and his father did not then see and nor did we intervene to get him the help that could have possibly prevented the tragic trajectory of his life. For all my days I will live with sorrow, regret and self-condemnation. I am his mother and I will love my son forever without fail, but I want you to know that I will do everything in my power to see that he gets the therapeutic support in prison to help him come to terms with himself, his past and his future. I don’t know if there is any therapy that will be able to help my son, but I must hope that somehow, he can be rehabilitated. I believe that change is possible for my son, but I acknowledge that it will be a very long road to realize such change.

My heart is with the victims, their families, their friends and their communities. Their sorrow is endless.

I beg you to show mercy to my son. I will likely die long before he is released from prison. Please trust that I while I am living, I will do everything possible to help him become the kind of man he had the potential to become.”

ALL MOO.
I so agree with all. Wonderfully said

The rift with Robert Burns stems from something between Wayne and RB, according to her letter. I guess she needed to explain why RB hates DM so much.
Or rather Dellen himself needed to spin a false tale. I don't for a second believe that his mother wrote that. The only thing she did was sign it. Does anyone think it odd that the letter was typed rather than hand written? Am I too old in thinking that a hand written letter would have slightly more personal impact?

Funny that he didn’t get ‘Shaner’, his indentured servant labourer guy whose name escapes me, one of the many Matt’s (Hagerman, WJ, Odlum) or the real estate agent from Oakville to be character witnesses for him. Any of those people would surely be better than another convicted killer???

Dellen Millard never lived with his uncle. One or two reporters mistranscribed a confusing bit of what was said in court and this myth has lived on.

I have the accurate quote in my notes and will post it later. Also no one who knows Millard has ever said he lived with the uncle.

There is zero evidence of anything especially sinister happening with Millard and his cousin other than that he targeted her for manipulation and likely to annoy his uncle.

I do agree that letter is telegraphing messages to the uncle — that he is a bad person and that his family picked on the cousin.

Double murderers lauded by family and — in one case — a cellmate
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/do...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1518627623

Millard’s cellmate, Achint Ranhotra, who will be sentenced April 16 for second degree murder, also praised Millard and shares something in common with him: He is also facing a life sentence for murdering girlfriend Vilanong Douangphachanh, 26. Ranhotra and Millard were in their respective sentencing hearings in the same Toronto courthouse on Monday.

“Dellen’s perseverance and determination to keep going with his fight with the Canadian justice system has given me some hope,” wrote Ranhotra, 32, who shot his live-in girlfriend in the head.

“Death is inevitable but as Dellen says, ‘Why invite it early and not live it out to see what it has to offer,’” wrote Ranhotra, a former Rogers IT employee,.

“I am a friend of Dellen’s and the outcome of that has been very good. He has been my personal friend since 2016,” wrote Ranhotra.

“We have all made decisions in our life that we regret and some that are unforgivable … I had nothing to lose but to give a fair chance to him to live up to certain expectation of a decent human being in jail. It’s a decision I don’t regret to this day,” wrote Ranhotra.

Funny that he didn’t get ‘Shaner’, his indentured servant labourer guy whose name escapes me, one of the many Matt’s (Hagerman, WJ, Odlum) or the real estate agent from Oakville to be character witnesses for him. Any of those people would surely be better than another convicted killer???

Now that SS is no longer on the MA payroll, he'd be wise to stay as far away as possible from DM and MB, IMO. Without any financial incentive for SS, he now has no reason to cooperate with DM or MB by writing a DM rave review, IMO. Perhaps he finally woke up and realized that he already paid too heavy a price for turning his back on the truth, looking the other way and selling his soul, IMO.

JV is the builder guy you're thinking of I believe and hopefully he is no longer feeling indebted to the Millard family, IMO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...llen-millard-s-wealth-again-a-focus-1.3512310

LW the real estate agent would be another fine example of someone who could only add damage to DM's reputation had she offered her services to provide a reference letter for him, IMO. If she was at all smart, she would have banked her $10,000 cheque and never looked back, IMO, although the memories of being with a serial killer should be enough to haunt her for the rest of her life, IMO. I'm sure she knows better than most to be careful of what is wished for, IMO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...nship-with-dellen-millard-testifies-1.3502729

I think that DM and MS's closest criminal cronies and the bevy of beguiled and brainless beasts and brats they attracted are so fortunate to have escaped a far worse fate than the undoubted notoriety they each inspired and are left to deal with, IMO. They are the lucky ones, alive today and able to tell their tales, but writing reference letters would certainly not do any good for DM or MS, IMO, not that it seems to matter to either of them, IMO.

All MOO.

Dellen Millard never lived with his uncle. One or two reporters mistranscribed a confusing bit of what was said in court and this myth has lived on.

I have the accurate quote in my notes and will post it later. Also no one who knows Millard has ever said he lived with the uncle.

There is zero evidence of anything especially sinister happening with Millard and his cousin other than that he targeted her for manipulation and likely to annoy his uncle.

I do agree that letter is telegraphing messages to the uncle — that he is a bad person and that his family picked on the cousin.

I am assuming that MBM did not attend court earlier this week and the letter was filed by RP?

Did MS have family in the court room?

Will the ‘curious’ letter be released publicly at some point as a document of evidence?

Any new books coming out? [emoji2]

Wow -- either DM inherited his writing style from the Rabbit, or he is the real author of the letter. My money's on the latter.

I think it was written by Rabbit. There are so many mistakes she may be oblivious to. Was DM not kicked out for plagiarism? You can't get a pilots license at 14. He graduated from TFS? He actually completed a college diploma in something?

What a remarkable document. She “hopes he is not marred by these tragic events that have led him to the inexplicable abandonment he must surely feel”? What in God’s name does he have her believing actually happened? I guess never stepping foot inside a court room allows one the comfort of staying nestled in deep, safe denial.

In some ways it seems like the letter is aimed not at the court, but at his cousins and her brother and anybody else who has “abandoned” him. The people that have dared to forget that he is heaven sent.

It’s almost painful to read her endlessly rattle off his childhood opportunities and accomplishments (i.e. her accomplishments) knowing that his actual needs almost certainly lay unseen and unmet. I suppose we’ve just seen a glimpse into how a murderer can be made.

I just laugh at the image of Rabbit pushing a five year old DM down an icy mountain slope! LOL

Interesting, thank you for clarifying that Ann.

It's hours later and I have to say I remain pretty much mind blown by that letter. It's one of the few things we have that is complete and not filtered or edited through anybody else, and I'm grateful for that.

There is a contingent out there that sees Millard as a misunderstood victim, and they can't fathom a good reason why he is always the focus over Smich. Well, it's because of crazy ***** like this letter. Smich is easy to understand. He's was (is?) a drugged up loser who turned all his inner rage outwards and was lured with the false promises of brotherhood, big money for little work and a sense of power and competence he somehow hadn't found in his mother's basement. Millard on the other hand is a fun house mirror of generational decay that just gets weirder with every curtain that is drawn back.

And I just don't even know....how does this kind of letter get by an attorney? It rivals the tone deafness of some of Millard's worst decisions in the trial, and that is something indeed. Literally the only way this letter even potentially helps Millard a sliver rather than reinforcing what people already believe about his dangerousness is if it produces some kind of sympathetic conclusion that he had a loving but emotionally and psychologically neglectful parent.

MB is pretty confounding, but she's also in a terrible situation. Her only boy, her good good boy, looks her square in the eye and implores her to believe him. To believe, likely, that just like in grade 10 he was set up. Everybody else has abandoned him, but she will not. It's impossible to overestimate the psychological power of the combination of manipulativeness and no conscience - particularly when you're dealing with people who are desperate to be persuaded. Dungey was right - people around Dellen Millard just do things. Irrational, blind, desperate, stupid, destructive things.

DM may not have lived with RB for an extended period of time but he likely stayed with the family "sporadically" as per Adam Carter's article.

Millard's father, Wayne Millard, and his mother, Madeleine Burns, separated for a time, Burns testified, saying that for "altruistic reasons" he took care of the man now accused of murder "sporadically" from ages 15 to 17.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...wn-away-by-pet-cremation-suggestion-1.3485222

So was that separation after a second attempt by MB and WM to live as a married couple since according to MB's letter they divorced when DM was 11. The whole family dynamic is confusing. Maybe that's why DM got some stuff wrong when he was writing that letter for his mother to sign. ;)

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jend1184
Back