Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

Cristina Tenaglia just Tweeted the last page of Codes transcript.
Did she have the transcript in her possession?
Is that how she knew 30 odd minutes prior to the court room tweets?

Justice Code didn't hand out copies of his judgement until about 4:25 pm.

I wish the photo of the tarp never made it into the public domain. I understand why, but it can never be destroyed. MOO
I agree, does anyone know if prisoners have regular access to internet? It is unthinkable that one of these could Google search for their trophy photos

I am VERY happy for the family and friends of Laura and Tim. Both completely innocent victims have been counted, and with luck they will not have to fight for their loved ones at any further proceedings for at least a half a century. Along with experiencing love and support from the community, feeling the dedication of passionate prosecutors and having a sense of a justice system that worked for them - sometimes in spite of itself - this sentence result is one more thing in the smallest handful of things that will bring anything like joy to these families in these cases. I'm relieved, for them.

But beyond that, I don't feel any personal joy or happiness at any of this. It's not a popular opinion, but I do feel sympathy for a person like Millard - the organically f*cked Millard, whose psychopathic brain and its processes were always going to lead him right to this future, one way or another and one day or another. And Smich, who followed Millard right over a cliff, who might have had a different life if he had another better man to follow, I feel regret for him too. I've said before that I think not being either of these two guys is a privilege that is a lot less about will than people think, and I will feel grateful when I leave where I am in a few minutes and walk out into the late afternoon sun on a not-too-cold winter day in a mostly beautiful world that as long as I am here I will get to be part of.

Yes, he had... five copies, I believe, and they weren't handed out until it had been verbally confirmed.

Jumping of your post.......did you get into the courtroom today?

If so, can you give us any details about DM's reaction to the sentencing? TIA!

Also, were any family members of DM or MS there today?

One gets the sense that MS's body language (sense of dread - staring into the abyss) indicated that he sorta knew what was coming and will be kicking himself for eternity for bad decisions made.
DM (angry, defiant, delusional) is behaving like this is some big surprise. Seriously out of touch with reality vs. role playing the poor victim?

I am VERY happy for the family and friends of Laura and Tim. Both completely innocent victims have been counted, and with luck they will not have to fight for their loved ones at any further proceedings for at least a half a century. Along with experiencing love and support from the community, feeling the dedication of passionate prosecutors and having a sense of a justice system that worked for them - sometimes in spite of itself - this sentence result is one more thing in the smallest handful of things that will bring anything like joy to these families in these cases. I'm relieved, for them.
But beyond that, I don't feel any personal joy or happiness at any of this. It's not a popular opinion, but I do feel sympathy for a person like Millard - the organically f*cked Millard, whose psychopathic brain and its processes were always going to lead him right to this future, one way or another and one day or another. And Smich, who followed Millard right over a cliff, who might have had a different life if he had another better man to follow, I feel regret for him too. I've said before that I think not being either of these two guys is a privilege that is a lot less about will than people think, and I will feel grateful when I leave where I am in a few minutes and walk out into the late afternoon sun on a not-too-cold winter day in a mostly beautiful world that as long as I am here I will get to be part of.

bbm I agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph of your post.

Today as Laura and Tim's families are finally able to revel in the realities of their hard fought victory, I admit that I revel with them. I cannot feel the same level of empathy for DM or MS. If they are sociopaths or psychopaths, as I believe they very likely are, then I think it could be argued that neither of them can or will appreciate the gravity of their crimes and exhibit genuine remorse, and IMO neither of them will feel the impact of the consecutive sentence as would persons without such afflictions. They will adapt in their new environment, IMO

As for MS, I don't think he followed along after DM. I think he was aimless with little ambition in life before DM and he also had a fascination with crime and violence. I think DM and MS were able to commit their crimes together because they both had a propensity for criminal activity and a wish for power among their peers. Killing people, keeping trophies and bragging about their crimes was the ultimate power trip and they were in on it together in every respect, IMO. They each chose to commit these murders and I believe with all my heart and soul - and my brain too - that if either had the chance again at freedom, society would continue to suffer for their lack of conscience. The price paid already is too steep.

I honestly cannot see either DM or MS changing if they are let loose. I am not an unfeeling or heartless person but I just can't and don't feel compassion for these very dangerous guys. Rather, I feel gratitude that Justice Code decided to show them the meaning of justice and by doing so, IMO, he restored public confidence in the justice system and a left us with a sense that at the very least the victims's families and the public are better protected and will not have to live with the threat of DM and MS creating chaos and calamity in our midst for at least the next 50 years.

JuneBug67, I feel for you that you have such a soft heart. :heartbeat:

All MOO

I agree, does anyone know if prisoners have regular access to internet? It is unthinkable that one of these could Google search for their trophy photos

Federal inmates do not have access to the internet in prison. I found the section on the Correctional Services website in the past but a quick search just now didn't turn it up, but it's there somewhere. This CBC article references the ban on internet (though some limited access to offline computers is permitted):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/prison-csc-computer-internet-1.4222230

Where it appears prisoners can post to FB or elsewhere, it usually turns out they have given something written down for a friend or visitor to post for them, OR - as does happen -- they have gotten access to a smuggled cell phone. I don't know how common this is, and since the prisoner wouldn't have an account with an ISP his internet access would be limited (as would battery life).

Still a valid concern, but DM and MS 's texting/surfing days are over.

Jumping of your post.......did you get into the courtroom today?

If so, can you give us any details about DM's reaction to the sentencing? TIA!

Also, were any family members of DM or MS there today?

Hello! I did get in. As we were assured, the courtroom was quite large, and ultimately there were a number of empty seats. That room must have had a gallery at least 3 - 4 times the size of the trial court room.

DM just looked angry. He shared a few looks with his court officer throughout the session that to me were expressions of frustration and annoyance.

He looked angry, and then (IMO) simply defeated as he was led off.

I didn't spot any obvious family or other support for either, but I'm sure there were some in the crowd, somewhere. ABro would have a better sense of that; having sat through Bosma, and most of Babcock, she'd be more familiar with those faces, if any.

Hello! I did get in. As we were assured, the courtroom was quite large, and ultimately there were a number of empty seats. That room must have had a gallery at least 3 - 4 times the size of the trial court room.

DM just looked angry. He shared a few looks with his court officer throughout the session that to me were expressions of frustration and annoyance.

I didn't spot any obvious family or other support for either, but I'm sure there were some in the crowd, somewhere. ABro would have a better sense of that; having sat through Bosma, and most of Babcock, she'd be more familiar with those faces, if any.

Thank you and glad you were able to get into the courtroom!

One gets the sense that MS's body language (sense of dread - staring into the abyss) indicated that he sorta knew what was coming and will be kicking himself for eternity for bad decisions made.
DM (angry, defiant, delusional) is behaving like this is some big surprise. Seriously out of touch with reality vs. role playing the poor victim?
MS was far , far from the victim, he is a dangerous person. He willingly helped plan and very deliberately set out to lure innocent people knowing they were preparing to murder them. All you have to see is that most hideous picture of him in front of the incinerator and the evil big smile on his face knowing they were burning the body of Laura. The judge got it right that MS and DM are very dangerous and need to be kept out of society for the rest of their lives. Well done judge Code.

I think when he represented himself was the best thing he could have done. It let the judge see the clever and qualities that his mother spoke about and that is what he used to trick people and when all he had on his mind was murder. I am sure that side he showed representing himself is what Laura saw and it is why she willingly met with him the day he murdered her. He had planned and very deliberately executed the murder of Laura. It is why he is a very dangerous person and can never be in society again.

"The eyes of both Millard and Smich welled up as they were handcuffed and led out of court."

LH tweeted that Clayton Babcock says it irks that CN wasn't charged. Noticed her IG from earlier today says water. droplets. afternoon delight. Agree with Mr. Babcock - I'm irked too.
Agree 100% she is out there walking around freely , she is as dangerous as DM. She thinks she is very clever like DM did. Who knows with her bad character never know where it will lead her, would be nice if she ended up in prison.

Bad decision? I can assure you that the Babcock:s having to see his smug grinning face, rake in hand as their daughters ashes swirled around behind him or as they watched his rap about the ***** laying on ash and stone would classify this as much more than a ‘bad decision’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree 100% she is out there walking around freely , she is as dangerous as DM. She thinks she is very clever like DM did. Who knows with her bad character never know where it will lead her, would be nice if she ended up in prison.

I am with you. Wish that there was enough evidence for them to feel like they could have charged and convicted her. She will always have a dark and dangerous soul but I think that she is wise enough to never let her true colours show again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am with you. Wish that there was enough evidence for them to feel like they could have charged and convicted her. She will always have a dark and dangerous soul but I think that she is wise enough to never let her true colours show again.

There has been a lot of speculation as to why certain people were never charged or convicted of more serious crimes. IMO, the crown wanted to make sure that nothing would complicate the trials and convictions of Millard and Smitch. To get convictions for CN, MB, Shane Schlatman, would have involved the letters and other materials under publications bans for the Bosma and Babcock trials. To wait until the trials were over to prosecute the accomplices would have resulted in unreasonable delays that any decent defence lawyer could get thrown out. The prize was to get M1 for both Millard and Smitch. It may seem like some others have escaped justice, but the most dangerous criminals have been found guilty and are put away for life. The appeals process will move forward, but because of the incredible job done by the crown in both cases, it is faint hope that it will change anything.

Zero sympathy. At least they have 50 years of life to look forward to. Ironically, life being the thing they took away from their victims.

No compassion for them. I do feel for their families, but it appears DM’s mother is still standing by her son, even after all of this. I guess she is blind to his faults. Robert Burns. Is probably relieved he won’t be called upon to testify (or will he?) and can close this chapter and go on with his life.

I honestly feel relieved that these 2 are where they belong.

They willfully, gleefully killed when it suited.
And now, appropriately, both are prosecuted.
They texted "We take what we want from the source"
Deliberate, unwilling, to change their course.

They conspired together, then murdered together,
It's not up to Judge Code, to determine whether
One was more or less guilty, than was the other
For when they murdered, were close as a brother

Appropriately, they were tried together, as one,
sentenced the same, now both are equally done.
Mark played a ruse, but was found a counterfeit.
The pod got 50 today... both rotten peas in it.

A very good point, that has not yet been made...
Worthy of thought, so it is now conveyed.
Thankfully, neither of them, have procreated,
A better place now, their DNA not replicated!

Perhaps this is why, their eyes welled tears...
As they each think ahead to the next 50 years
Certain they are not thinking of Laura or Tim
Only themselves, and the state they are in.

Together they rot, locked away behind bars,
Time forever apart, and seperate from ours.
During both trials, they showed no remorse...
Got what they took, straight from the source!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back