Leah Remini sues Church of Scientology for alleged stalking and harassment in 2023

LOS ANGELES (Court TV) — In a lawsuit filed in California, actress Leah Remini is accusing the Church of Scientology and its leader, David Miscavige, of harassment, stalking, infliction of emotional distress and interfering with her ability to work.

The lawsuit, filed on Aug. 2 in the Superior Court of California, alleges that the Church of Scientology institutionalizes retaliatory activities against those it deems “Suppressive Persons,” who speak out against the organization.

READ THE LAWSUIT HERE

last updated 7:22 AM, August 8, 2023

Probably hype, as imo, TC isn't going to be helpful. moo

Aug. 6 2023, Published 12:00 p.m. ET

The King of Queens actress and former Scientologist, Leah Remini, has filed a lawsuit against the Church of Scientology, revealing shocking allegations of harassment and abuse, and is allegedly planning on calling Tom Cruise as a witness in the trial, RadarOnline.com has learned.

"Remini's obsessesion with attacking her former religion, by spreading falsehoods and hate speech, has generated threats and actual violence against the Church and its members as evidenced by multiple criminal convictions of individuals poisoned by Remini's propaganda. All the while, Remini has profited handsomely from her fabrications, through the sale of hate books, hate podcasts, and paid-for tabloid hate television," the statement continued.

"Now that Remini's propaganda has been exposed, Remini has spun entirely out of control by filing a frivolous lawsuit attempting to stop free speech exposing her false propaganda," the Church of Scientology declared. "Remini's decade of harassment and fabrications are all coming back to haunt her."
[snip]
"If Remini can no longer get a job, she has nobody to blame but herself. Obviously, everybody in Hollywood now knows what we already knew: That Remini is a horrible person and toxic to so many who have the misfortune to come in contact with her," they fired back.

"While Remini was in the Church, she had to restrain her antisocial traits. She said so herself — that Scientology was the only thing keeping her 'monster' at bay."
[snip]
"The Church is not intimidated by Remini's latest act of blatant harassment and attempt to prevent truthful free speech. If Remini does not believe in free speech, then she should consider emigrating to Russia."
'She is a Horrible Person and Toxic': Church of Scientology Fires Back at Leah Remini's Bombshell Harassment Lawsuit

A friend I once spoke to told me that she called Scientology to inquire about the church but didn't join, and over 10 years later she still gets frequent solicitation calls from them.
Yup. It's a shakedown to convince people to buy courses/donate. It's all about the money.
Low level $cientology members (not the celebrities) will spend hours upon hours cold calling people until they meet that day's arbitrary quota of donations.

For 16 years Levy was a "registrar" selling Scientology counseling and training services at the church's worldwide spiritual headquarters in Clearwater. He toiled morning to night, part of a team driven by fear and religious conviction to bring the church millions of dollars each week by "closing" people — church terminology.

[snip]
"If Remini can no longer get a job, she has nobody to blame but herself. Obviously, everybody in Hollywood now knows what we already knew: That Remini is a horrible person and toxic to so many who have the misfortune to come in contact with her," they fired back.

"While Remini was in the Church, she had to restrain her antisocial traits. She said so herself — that Scientology was the only thing keeping her 'monster' at bay."
[snip]
"The Church is not intimidated by Remini's latest act of blatant harassment and attempt to prevent truthful free speech. If Remini does not believe in free speech, then she should consider emigrating to Russia."
'She is a Horrible Person and Toxic': Church of Scientology Fires Back at Leah Remini's Bombshell Harassment Lawsuit

Yeah, no. Do they really think anyone is buying this? We all know what they are.

Some excerpts from her motion describing truly vile behavior.

“Scientology's assault on Ms. Remini, as well as those she cares for, has also taken the form of stalking and threatening advances. On August 28, 2023, an unknown man tried to follow Ms. Remini's guest, who was in an Uber, through the gates into Plaintiffs residential community. The Uber driver blocked the unknown driver from entering, at which point he was approached by the unknown man who began verbally attacking him and Ms. Remini's guest.31 The unknown driver then spent twenty minutes punching codes into the security gate box trying to gain access into the community, without ever calling any of the residents.32 Failing in his attempts, he departed. The incident was repo1ied to the Los Angeles Police Department…

“Ms. Remini's mother was recently the subject of stalking, activity that was caught on the home surveillance footage. Last week, at 5:00 a.m., two men approached her mother's home, located on a steep hill on a dead-end street. The men parked on the side of the street, walked up the hill and stood in front of the home while talking on a mobile phone. After knocking on her mother's door, they departed.38 Additionally, on September 10, 2023, a window at her mother's diner was broken in the middle of the night. 39 Ms. Remini's sister recently received texts on he private cell phone from fake individuals posing as Ms. Remini's acquaintances and requesting her contact information.

“The Aftermath Foundation, a non-profit organization comprised of former Scientologists who support those who want to leave Scientology and the Sea Organization, has, since the filing of Ms. Remini' s Complaint, been subjected to phony complaints of alleged misconduct relating to it fundraising policies. (See Dec. Claire Headley.) This harassment includes using a private investigator, known to be affiliated with Scientology, to make harassing calls to the foundation's directors stating the organization is under investigation by a state agency. (Id.) The investigator left a voicemail message for at least one director inviting her to be a "witness," or offer names of those willing to be a "witness," in the alleged state agency investigation. (Id.) Such interference by Scientology may have the effect of damaging the non-profit. (Id.)

“In one of its most egregious aggressions against those associated with Ms. Remini, on August 15, 2023, former high-level Scientologist Mike Rinder, who co-hosted Ms. Remini' s award-winning A&E docuseries Leah Remini: Scientology and The Aftermath, and who is mentioned in Ms. Remini's complaint, was stalked and harassed by an unknown vehicle. (See Dec. of Mike Rinder.) His son and then neighbors ale1ied Mr. Rinder and his wife to a "suspicious vehicle parked on the main boulevard of our community outside their house." (Id.) The same car proceeded to follow Mr. Rinder and his wife as they ran errands and followed them into a parking lot. (Id.) The Rinders later came upon the same car in a church parking lot adjacent to the entrance to their community. (Id.) When the Rinders approached the car, the car pulled out, eventually making an illegal U-tum over a median to avoid them. On his blog, Mr. Rinder notes his familiarity with such tactics as operations directed by Scientology's Office of Special Affairs ("OSA"), which he once headed.

Last edited:
On August 28, 2023, an unknown man tried to follow Ms. Remini's guest, who was in an Uber, through the gates into Plaintiffs residential community. The Uber driver blocked the unknown driver from entering, at which point he was approached by the unknown man who began verbally attacking him and Ms. Remini's guest.31 The unknown driver then spent twenty minutes punching codes into the security gate box trying to gain access into the community, without ever calling any of the residents.32 Failing in his attempts, he departed. The incident was repo1ied to the Los Angeles Police Department…
If I lived in that neighborhood, I would be furious. Were they aware this happened at their security gate? All homeowners in the area should be notified that their safety is at risk from members of the cult and those that employ them.

But why won't the LAPD do anything?
Is it because LAPD is cozy with the cult of $cientology, and even allowed them to have an advertisement stand in the police station?

Whoa, so the great leader will be making an appearance! Will he be served papers on stage from Jason Sudeikis?

Seriously, will he be served?

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Randolph Hammock issued a tentative ruling on Scientology's special motion to strike portions of Remini's lawsuit on Friday, saying he was likely to dismiss most of the defamation claims against the church and leave most of the harassment claims in place.
On Friday, the judge will also take up Remini's request for a preliminary injunction against Scientology. Remini wants the court order to stop Scientology from harassing and stalking her while the lawsuit is going on.

Hammock told the parties he was leaning toward not issuing the preliminary injunction, but asked Remini's lawyer to bring any evidence that could show recent harassment.

"Show me the record of the last time they did anything nasty to your client that it needs to be enjoined," Hammock stated. "If I'm convinced there's an ongoing real pattern of harassment that's still going on to this day, then I'll reconsider."

Hammock told the parties he was leaning toward not issuing the preliminary injunction, but asked Remini's lawyer to bring any evidence that could show recent harassment.

"Show me the record of the last time they did anything nasty to your client that it needs to be enjoined," Hammock stated. "If I'm convinced there's an ongoing real pattern of harassment that's still going on to this day, then I'll reconsider."
RSBM
On one hand, I'm glad the judge is taking the cult's harassment seriously, asking for receipts (which I'm sure Remini has in spades).

On the other hand, the judge doesn't seem familiar with how the cult operates. This harassment is standard-issue for the cult, and has been for years.

Shouldn't everyone get a court order to stop a defendant from harassing and stalking the plaintiff while a lawsuit is going on? Just issue the order.

The harassing members are bullies and cowards who don't announce the evil entity they are acting for. It will be difficult to prove it's specifically Scientologists unless they dropped calling cards. Is it them? Of course it is, logic tells us this. Can that be proven without physical evidence? Doubtful and that's the difference between logic and the law.
Good luck, Lisa, I hope the judge rules if your favor.

There's another cult I won't name that pulls stunts similar to what the C Of S does, but the cult hides their dysfunction better.

Not all the members are insanely malicious. BUT most of them become unhinged if you use scientific logic to refute their belief system.

I just put this here because I chased away some door knockers recently. (Politely, but firmly.) Beware the wolves in sheep's clothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back