Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In North Carolina we have what is called Prayer for Judgement Continued or PJC. I think we're the only state that has it actually.

For deferred adjudication does Casey have to plead guilty? For a PJC here in NC the defendant has to plead Guilty if I'm not mistaken.

My other question is if Casey's plea is nolo contendre to the check fraud can it be used during the murder trial or sentencing phase? It's a conviction, but not an admission of guilt. Also can she be granted a deferred adjudication with a nolo contendre plea.

I have a question about mistrials. I have always understood that if a mistrial was declared then the trial had to start over from the beginning. I am reading things now that it is possible, depending on the reasons for the mistrial, that the case could possibly not be retried and the defendant could walk. Is this true?

I have a question about mistrials. I have always understood that if a mistrial was declared then the trial had to start over from the beginning. I am reading things now that it is possible, depending on the reasons for the mistrial, that the case could possibly not be retried and the defendant could walk. Is this true?

If the mistrial is not requested/agreed to by the defendant and does not appear to have been truly necessary, a retrial might be barred. In this case, so far, there have been zero problems that could cause a mistrial, because the trial hasn't started yet. ;) So I don't think we should worry about it (yet).

If the mistrial is not requested/agreed to by the defendant and does not appear to have been truly necessary, a retrial might be barred. In this case, so far, there have been zero problems that could cause a mistrial, because the trial hasn't started yet. ;) So I don't think we should worry about it (yet).

I'm still confused. KC's lawyers put in their motion a comment about "ineffective assistance of counsel" .

What would be the point?

Could the defense move to have the "providing false information to law enforcement" charges severed, and tried separately from the murder & aggravated child abuse?

I'm still confused. KC's lawyers put in their motion a comment about "ineffective assistance of counsel" .

What would be the point?

Which motion? Is it the one about how they won't be able to visit her if they are videotaped? I guess that could result in ineffective assistance of counsel. But IAC is more of an appeal issue than a mistrial issue.

Could the defense move to have the "providing false information to law enforcement" charges severed, and tried separately from the murder & aggravated child abuse?

Hmmm. I guess they could, but I think it would be denied.

Hello informed Lawyer Folk - here's a question that's come up on another thread. If Casey is convicted of the check fraud charges, and adjudication isn't withheld until after the murder trial, can the videos of her writing those cheques come into the murder trial as evidence of her state of mind while Caylee was "missing", or just the felony convictions during the penalty phase.
Thanks in advance.

Which motion? Is it the one about how they won't be able to visit her if they are videotaped? I guess that could result in ineffective assistance of counsel. But IAC is more of an appeal issue than a mistrial issue.
HI AZLawyer. I agree and posted something similar on another thread. but then in reading the article more critically, I thought perhaps they were making reference to this:

http://libertyinternational.wordpre...-claim-for-ineffective-assistance-of-counsel/

A. Pre-Trial Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Claims

If the defendant claims before trial that counsel is rendering ineffective assistance of counsel, the trial court must, before trial, conduct an inquiry sufficient to determine the truth and scope of the defendant’s allegations. On post-conviction review, if no pretrial findings were made, the government must prove by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant was accorded representation at trial by counsel who was prepared within the requisite range of competence.
Under Strickland, a defendant claiming ineffective assistance of counsel must demonstrate both that his attorney’s performance fell below an objective standard of reasonable professional conduct and that the deficient performance resulted in prejudice to the defendant.
In cases where the trial judge erred by denying a request for substitute counsel, the Ninth Circuit has reported that the federal courts are nearly unanimous in their holding that an irreconcilable conflict between a defendant and his attorney that leads to a breakdown in communications can prevent an attorney from serving as the type of advocate guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment, as interpreted in such cases as Anders v. California, 386 U.S. 738, 18 L.Ed.2d 493, 87 S.Ct. 1396 (1967), and United States v. Cronic, 466 U.S. 648, 80 L.Ed.2d 657, 140 S.Ct. 2039 (1984). See, Plumlee v. Del Papa, 426. F.3d 1095, 1103 (9th Cir. 2005).
In cases which “counsel entirely fails to subject the prosecution’s case to meaningful adversarial testing,” ineffectiveness will be presumed under Cronic.
Counsel’s failure to file a motion to suppress evidence can provide the basis for a claim of ineffectiveness, but in order to show prejudice the defendant must show that he would have prevailed on the suppression motion, and that there is a reasonable probability that the successful motion would have affected the outcome. Van Iran v. Lindsey, 212 F.3d 1143, 1145 (9th Cir. 2000).
If the defendant claims that counsel is rendering ineffective counsel before or during trial, then a motion to dismiss or motion for mistrial should be filed. Counsel failures result in waivers of issues for appeal and may prejudice the defendant.

Isn't this the very argument to keep the cameras rolling? The defendant could say their attorney never discussed anything with them just sat and played with his computer, that their attorney acted inappropriately, etc. And isn't anything a jail overhears accidently not admissible in court?

If Casey did admit to a drowning wouldn't she still be legally obligated to render aid, or call 911? Do to good Samaritan laws, and/or her relationship to the victim?

Since Casey was her mother wouldn't there be some form of legal obligation other then good Samaritan laws that would require her to render aid or call 911? Would aggravated child abuse cover such an obligation?
Good Samaritan laws have no bearing on the issue. Generally, a stranger has no legal obligation to help or rescue a victim.

Casey had a legal obligation to help Caylee because she was her custodial parent. The duty would be established by showing the standard of care or reasonable parenting -- what would reasonable parents do in the same situation. Not hyper protective parents but reasoanble parents. It is a given that a reasonable parent would not allow a toddler to walk around near an unattended and accessible pool while they talked and talked and talked on a cellphone or spent time dilly dallying on a computer. If a person with a duty violates a reasonable standard of care it can become manslaughter or even something more. That would depend on the level of mental intent required to support the specific charge.

Would this be where the aggravated child abuse comes in? In the case of a true accident where a child drowns could the state pursue a murder 1 charge?

Casey is also charged with manslaughter (if I remember right) so if an accident was provable (sorry I laughed while typing that) would the state still be able to pursue as a manslaughter case and then go for something like felony murder?

lol Sorry about these questions just trying to wrap my brain around this.
Yes to all. It is a matter of proving the standard of care and the intent. Something that crosses the standard of care so belligerently -- like if a parent placed a little baby on the end of a diving board and walked away and left it and the minute the baby rolled over it hit the water at a depth of 9 feet and drowned --wouldn't you call that murder? Of course! Why? Well a complete idiot knows not to put a baby on the end of a diving board and walk away with water below. Only someone who intended to drown the baby and kill it would violate that standard of care (specific intent to kill is proven by circumstantial evidence.)

ITA. And, if a child did drown, what caused the child to drown? Was it accidental or did someone deliberately drown the child?

Novice Seeker
Gross neglect or reckless disregard can be shown by circumstantial evidence too.

If Casey had a medical problem requiring her to be sent to the infirmary. Lets pretend it`s an ovarian cyst. If she received all the care and only the care outligned by the facility and medications in doses within those protocols and started to sing like a canary, advising the medical staff of how she killed and disposed of Caylee in detail. Assuming staff attempted to stop her by reminding her that certain acts like crimes against children, must be divulged and can`t remain confidential and KC proceeded anyway, can the medical staff report this confession and testify to it in court?

I appreciate the video surveillance can`t be played. I appreciate that nothing Casey said regarding her medical condition could be repeated but I have to admit being confused regarding patient confidentiality when the patient is divulging illegal acts perpetrated on others and has been advised, medicated or not, that patient confidentiality doesn`t extend that far. TIA

I've got a question for the lawyers here (or for anyone who may be able to answer) about the adjudication (sp?) of guilt in the plea deal. Does it really matter if she's found guilty of a felony before the murder trial? I mean, it's a really high-profile case and it's all over the media... so even if she's asked about any previous offenses in court, won't members of the jury REALLY know that she was caught stealing? I mean, even if she can legally say "no" it's not like the jury's minds are erased of all the info that they've heard through the media....right? Is it because she has to be a felon before they can impose the death penalty or something like that? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa