Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding the JB violation of the courts discovery orders a second time in 2 days... I gotta ask, what now?

Has HHJP been backed into a corner where he has to risk the appellate issue of excluding a witness in order to preserve the power and integrity of the court?

Have you ever seen an attorney willfully violate a court order repeatedly like this?

How would you have reacted if after Saturdays dressing down of JB, Dr. Eikenbloom showed up at your door looking to be deposed?

What is the order today about release of the Juror's names all about ?

06/20/2011
Amended Order
Barring Release of Seated Jurors' Names

Thanks for your answer.

On Saturday, HHJP told JA to depose William Rodriguez at 1:00PM that afternoon and that Rodriguez would testify Monday morning. Today, JA said he hadn't had time to review the transcript of the deposition. How soon after the deposition should JA have received a transcript, given HHJP's statement that the witness would be examined Monday morning? Is this the court reporter's fault that he wasn't prepared to cross-examine the witness on schedule? How much time would JA need to review a transcript for a deposition he conducted? TIA!

In regards to witness Dr. Rodgriguez, the defense has been "hiding" some of the opinions to which he will testify. HHCJBP remedied this impropriety by removing the witness from the stand and ordering a deposition by the SA.

If I'm understanding it correctly, this means that the State's Attorney will have one and a half days to prepare for their cross-examination, even though the DT has been preparing on his opinions for months. HHCJBP prepared his Expert Witness reports/opinions court order specifically for both sides to give each other enough time to thoroughly prepare for trial.

It seems incredibly unfair that the SA is at such a disadvantage, purely due to nefarious acts by the DT. Is this simply a situation where (as my Mom always used to tell me when I wanted to stay out past curfew) "life's not fair!" or will there be some other means to balance out the DT's ill-gotten advantage with this witness specifically? If there is no other means, what's to stop them from doing it again and again?

It is completely unfair, but there is an excellent reason for the unfairness, which is that the defendant has constitutional rights and the State does not. One of those constitutional rights is the right to effective counsel, so HHJP is making sure that Casey is being treated AS IF she had effective counsel representing her.

When HHJP allowed the deposition of Dr. Ramirez to be taken on Saturday afternoon, he warned JB that "lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place", i.e. that he will not allow him to do this again "with this witness".

Does that mean that JB can do it at least ONCE with any future witnesses without incurring in HHJP's wrath??

No. JB has incurred HHJP's wrath already, in a MAJOR way. HHJP is trying as hard as he can to protect Casey (due to her constitutional rights) from JB's behavior, and to restrain himself when speaking on the record about JB, for appellate reasons.

Originally Posted by ijam View Post
Does it matter if an expert witness varies his opinion on the stand compared to what was in his report?
Dr Spitz, on the stand, stated Dr G did shoddy work by not opening the skull b/c protocol calls for the opening...but in his report he stated "The skull had not been opened, at the first autopsy, in accordance with normal protocols as when dealing with skeletal remains"

http://www.baynews9.com/static/artic...spitz-0315.pdf[/quote]

Seems like the same opinion to me. :waitasec:
[/QUOTE
Maybe I didn't word it well..
...on the stand he stated Dr G's autopsy was shoddy work b/c Dr G violated protocols by NOT opening the skull...but in his report he stated it was not opened at Dr G autopsy b/c she followed protocols when dealing with skeletal remains.

I see what you mean now. No, IMO he just worded it oddly in his report, but what he meant in the report was that the skull had not been opened, which (opening the skull) would have been in accordance with protocol. So not opening it was not in accordance with protocol.

If in the end JB loses his license to practice law, is that an automatic grounds for appeal on basis of ineffective counsel?

No, but in any event IMO he isn't going to lose his license over violating a discovery order, even 3 times.

"Ineffective assistance of counsel" does not mean you had a terrible lawyer. It means your lawyer screwed up in some SPECIFIC way that led to a SPECIFIC problem with your case.

For example, if HHJP excluded a witness due to JB's failure to disclose his opinions, Casey would have an excellent chance of getting a new trial due to ineffective assistance of counsel. This is why HHJP is so frustrated.

Could Judge Perry order that Mason take over as lead counsel for the defense since Baez is violating orders, causing delays, and is not very effective?

At this point in the trial can Jose step down ( or be made to step down) and CM take over as lead attorney ?
Thank you

No. First of all, there is really no such thing as "lead attorney." You could call DS "lead attorney" and that wouldn't mean that she would be examining any witnesses or arguing anything. But to answer what I think is really the question, HHJP cannot force the defense team to abandon its strategy (assuming they have one) regarding which attorneys will question which witnesses.

regarding the JB violation of the courts discovery orders a second time in 2 days... I gotta ask, what now?

Has HHJP been backed into a corner where he has to risk the appellate issue of excluding a witness in order to preserve the power and integrity of the court?

Have you ever seen an attorney willfully violate a court order repeatedly like this?

How would you have reacted if after Saturdays dressing down of JB, Dr. Eikenbloom showed up at your door looking to be deposed?

HHJP is backed into a corner, yes. IMO he is VERY FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY that he cannot do what he wants to do, because he KNOWS that Casey will then win one of the very rare reversals due to ineffective assistance of counsel. IMO he is going to do something when the trial is over--probably (1) a contempt hearing against JB, with whatever monetary sanctions are available by law and perhaps a week or so in jail as well, and (2) a letter to the Fla State Bar saying this guy is incompetent, disrespectful to the court, and can't follow an order to save his life.

I have never seen an attorney so oblivious to the anger of a judge that he keeps triggering that anger over and over again in the same way. But I am not convinced that JB thinks he "technically" violated the order. I think he believes he was just being clever. :rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot to answer your last question. I would have been STUNNED beyond belief and sent the guy away!!

What is the order today about release of the Juror's names all about ?

06/20/2011
Amended Order
Barring Release of Seated Jurors' Names

Thanks for your answer.

Who knows? We haven't seen it. :)

Anyone know about the 8 death sentences Judge Perry Handed down - I am trying to get some information on the cases and can't find anything. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I don't, but I know there is a thread somewhere in this forum all about him and his career. I would search the thread titles for "Perry."

On Saturday, HHJP told JA to depose William Rodriguez at 1:00PM that afternoon and that Rodriguez would testify Monday morning. Today, JA said he hadn't had time to review the transcript of the deposition. How soon after the deposition should JA have received a transcript, given HHJP's statement that the witness would be examined Monday morning? Is this the court reporter's fault that he wasn't prepared to cross-examine the witness on schedule? How much time would JA need to review a transcript for a deposition he conducted? TIA!

JA could get a "rough" transcript of a 2-hour depo maybe on Sunday if he paid enough, ;) but maybe not til Monday morning. In any event, IMO when he says he needed time to go over it, he means he needs time for his experts to go over it and tell him what should be covered on cross-examination to set things up for their rebuttal testimony.

--------------------------

BTW, I would bet $100 that the recess is for the SA to take Eikenbloom's depo and for JB to review his experts' opinions and certify to the court that he has really, truly, fully disclosed everything now.

Thank you AZ, you make a big, positive difference to all of us :)

Do judges typically wait until the trial is over to hold a contempt hearing? I would think JB would knock off his shenanigans if he was was forced to face consequences and received a fine right now. It seems like he knows he has more freedom to pull off his stunts because he knows the judge is doing everything he can to prevent a new trial.

Also what kind of fines does a lawyer usually face if they are found in contempt?

AZ I've got a dumb question....

What happens "in chambers" when the Judge & attorneys are in there? Why did they take a bailiff into chambers with them? Once the "in chamber" meeting was over, isn't that when HHBP recessed the court until 9am tomorrow? What "joint stipulation" did the attorneys agree on?

Thanks!

This is my favorite thread ever and I so appreciate the lawyers taking the time to answer all of the questions.

Will Judge Perry be allowed to speak about the case after it is over? Do they (judges) typically not speak because it is unprofessional, or are they legally not permitted to do interviews or comment about their feelings regarding the case? I'm curious because I would love to hear Perry's real thoughts and feelings about ICA's guilt, the SAO presentation and of course, Baez.

I have a question on the order that witnesses testify. For example, Dr Spitz testified before Dr Rodriguez due to the non-disclosure discovery issue last week. Can the judge force the defense to call a witness to continue court proceedings, even though that witness's testimony would be out of turn according the DT's sequence of events ?

No. First of all, there is really no such thing as "lead attorney." You could call DS "lead attorney" and that wouldn't mean that she would be examining any witnesses or arguing anything. But to answer what I think is really the question, HHJP cannot force the defense team to abandon its strategy (assuming they have one) regarding which attorneys will question which witnesses.

HHJP is backed into a corner, yes. IMO he is VERY FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY that he cannot do what he wants to do, because he KNOWS that Casey will then win one of the very rare reversals due to ineffective assistance of counsel. IMO he is going to do something when the trial is over--probably (1) a contempt hearing against JB, with whatever monetary sanctions are available by law and perhaps a week or so in jail as well, and (2) a letter to the Fla State Bar saying this guy is incompetent, disrespectful to the court, and can't follow an order to save his life.

I have never seen an attorney so oblivious to the anger of a judge that he keeps triggering that anger over and over again in the same way. But I am not convinced that JB thinks he "technically" violated the order. I think he believes he was just being clever. :rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot to answer your last question. I would have been STUNNED beyond belief and sent the guy away!!

As a follow up to those two questions. Given that we are talking about 2 major discovery violations, that go against a clear and restated judges order applied to ALL members of both Prosecution and Defense. And given that as you say there really is no such thing as a lead council. How much jeopardy are the other members of the defense team in over this? I mean in these two cases from Saturday and Today, did they not also have a responsibility after the last broughaha to be back checking JB regarding the expert witnesses testimony and discovery? Did none of them read the offerings from Dr. Eikenbloom and see a problem there? So would CM of DS be facing any contempt actions as well (I'll rule out AF as she does seem to be clearly delineated as the penalty phase of the trial and probably is not doing much oversite on the guilt side, legitimately).

Do judges typically wait until the trial is over to hold a contempt hearing? I would think JB would knock off his shenanigans if he was was forced to face consequences and received a fine right now. It seems like he knows he has more freedom to pull off his stunts because he knows the judge is doing everything he can to prevent a new trial.

Also what kind of fines does a lawyer usually face if they are found in contempt?

HHJP wants to wait until the trial is over so that the trial record does not show any bias toward Baez. This is also the reason he is saying "both parties" all the time even though it is 100% obvious who he is talking about.

I don't know what the penalties are in Florida re: contempt. I saw a lawyer fined $10,000 plus 20 hours of pro bono service in AZ for willfully ignoring a court order on the grounds that "if he had bothered to appeal it he would have won."

AZ I've got a dumb question....

What happens "in chambers" when the Judge & attorneys are in there? Why did they take a bailiff into chambers with them? Once the "in chamber" meeting was over, isn't that when HHBP recessed the court until 9am tomorrow? What "joint stipulation" did the attorneys agree on?

Thanks!

If there is no court reporter, normally it is for scheduling or administrative issues. The bailiff might have been called in if there was a discussion of special security measures needed for some part of the proceeding. Maybe they were trying to see if there was any way to get the prisoner witness (Robyn??) to the court quickly?

IMO the SA likely agreed (under duress from HHJP) to take Eikenbloom's depo today so he can testify.

This is my favorite thread ever and I so appreciate the lawyers taking the time to answer all of the questions.

Will Judge Perry be allowed to speak about the case after it is over? Do they (judges) typically not speak because it is unprofessional, or are they legally not permitted to do interviews or comment about their feelings regarding the case? I'm curious because I would love to hear Perry's real thoughts and feelings about ICA's guilt, the SAO presentation and of course, Baez.

I am not familiar with the code of judicial ethics in Florida, but I suspect it would be unethical or at least considered unprofessional to give his opinions even after the trial.

I have a question on the order that witnesses testify. For example, Dr Spitz testified before Dr Rodriguez due to the non-disclosure discovery issue last week. Can the judge force the defense to call a witness to continue court proceedings, even though that witness's testimony would be out of turn according the DT's sequence of events ?

BBM

Yes.

As a follow up to those two questions. Given that we are talking about 2 major discovery violations, that go against a clear and restated judges order applied to ALL members of both Prosecution and Defense. And given that as you say there really is no such thing as a lead council. How much jeopardy are the other members of the defense team in over this? I mean in these two cases from Saturday and Today, did they not also have a responsibility after the last broughaha to be back checking JB regarding the expert witnesses testimony and discovery? Did none of them read the offerings from Dr. Eikenbloom and see a problem there? So would CM of DS be facing any contempt actions as well (I'll rule out AF as she does seem to be clearly delineated as the penalty phase of the trial and probably is not doing much oversite on the guilt side, legitimately).

It is up to HHJP if he wants to sanction anyone else on the team. IMO he can clearly see where the problem lies. He might ask CM some pointed questions, though.

I'm watching some of the early witnesses. The prosecutors are asking nearly all of them if the defendant ever told them that her daughter was missing, kidnapped or that she was looking for her but none was asked if she said anything about Caylee drowning, as far as I can tell.

It seems a bit irrelevant to me since the defense are no longer claiming she was kidnapped or missing. Are the State just sticking to a script from before the defense OS or is it some kind of strategy? As in refuse to acknowledge the drowning thing in any way as if it wasn't even worth mentioning?

I'm watching some of the early witnesses. The prosecutors are asking nearly all of them if the defendant ever told them that her daughter was missing, kidnapped or that she was looking for her but none was asked if she said anything about Caylee drowning, as far as I can tell.

It seems a bit irrelevant to me since the defense are no longer claiming she was kidnapped or missing. Are the State just sticking to a script from before the defense OS or is it some kind of strategy? As in refuse to acknowledge the drowning thing in any way as if it wasn't even worth mentioning?

Deleted my post. Lawyer Q&A thread.... sorry.

Would a contempt hearing against Baez be televised ?

ps - this is the most interesting thread on the forum, thank you for answering all these questions

In Closing Arguments, does the Defense have the final say? I know there was some talk of changing it in Florida, back around 2004, to give the Prosecution the final say.

TIA

The opening statements aren't evidence and don't count as any "official" alteration of Casey's story.

Would a contempt hearing against Baez be televised ?

ps - this is the most interesting thread on the forum, thank you for answering all these questions

I hope so! It would mostly depend on whether or not there is media interest.

In Closing Arguments, does the Defense have the final say? I know there was some talk of changing it in Florida, back around 2004, to give the Prosecution the final say.

TIA

The prosecution has the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads