Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4

Based on 10 minutes of "research" lol, it appears that the elements in Florida for judicial estoppel are:

(1) a representation as to a material fact that is contrary to a later-asserted position,

(2) reliance on that representation,

(3) a change in position detrimental to the party claiming estoppel, caused by the representation and reliance thereon,

(4) successfully maintaining a position in one proceeding, while taking an inconsistent position in a later proceeding, in which the same parties and questions are involved.

Seems to me that the "same parties" requirement would make the doctrine inapplicable here, regardless of the meaning of "successfully maintaining," "reliance," etc.

Okay - I think our awesome lawyers have not been pestered for awhile - and here's one that may have you :pullhair: or :laughcry: but since we're almost at :slapfight: in a couple of threads - we really need your wise words..

In the OS of the OCA trial, Baez said two things. First that GA abused OCA, and that Caylee drowned on June 16/2008.

HHJP did not allow JB as we know, to use the abuse angle, but he did allow the drowning statement into the body of the trial.

JB stated a number of times after the OS was completed and in the trial, that Caylee died from drowning on Day one. So is this a statement of fact acknowledged as such by the court, or did this continue to be a theory and up to the jury to accept.

Then when the jury came back with a not guilty verdict, did the drowning then become fact? And is OCA in her upcoming civil trials going to be held to this "fact" as "real" or can she go back to saying she doesn't know if Caylee was alive or dead on June 16th?

It may be a simple answer to you - but to those of us who have no freaking idea - it's very confusing. Thank you in advance and I :bow:to your superior knowledge... and could I offer you a little refreshment :martini: for your trouble? :innocent:

Putting forth a theory during opening statement does not make whatever is said by the attorney, automatically become "fact."
Again, the jury is the "finder of fact."
Sometimes, the jury will be asked specifically to determine whether or not something is a fact en route to making a decision. They do this in addition to deciding all of the facts in dispute and issuing a verdict by applying the law to the facts as they find them to be.
For example, the jury in this case was specifically asked to determine whether or not Casey was a caretaker. That is a specific fact. If I recall, the jury found that the fact was that she was not a caretaker. Unless it is a specific "fact question" on the jury/verdict forms, we generally are not privy to what facts the jury found in the efforts to render a verdict.
The mere fact that JB put forth a theory does not make it fact. The not guilty findings do not make it fact.
If the jury is not the finder of fact, other info becomes fact because the Judge takes "Judicial Notice." This takes the fact finding job away from the jury.
Judge Perry would have had no legal basis to make that ruling so it did not happen. Had the Judge acknowledged the theory as fact, there would have been an announcement that "judicial notice" was taken. Didn't happen.

Nothing JB said in argument counted as evidence. Also, the not guilty verdict did not establish any fact as being true. So Casey can adopt any factual theory she wants for purposes of the civil case with Z not-F G.

The NG verdict established that Casey was not a caretaker. I do not recall any other determinations on the forms but it's been a while and I am no spring :chicken:
This is so because as part of the verdict, the jury had to decide whether or not Casey was a "caretaker." So, That particular fact , as I recall, was established but that 's about it .

HHJP was generous in allowing the drowning theory to be referenced in closing argument, based on some pretty thin threads of evidence.
But the fact that JB said it was NOT one of the threads of evidence upon which HHJP relied. JB's statements were not evidence.
Whether or not JB might have violated some ethics rule by presenting a theory of the defense that he pulled out of his...I mean, out of thin air, is not really the point. The point is that his statements in opening (or closing) argument regarding his theory of the defense are not binding upon Casey as admissions of fact.

First of all, let me assist you--

"Whether or not JB might have violated some ethics rule by presenting a theory of the defense that he pulled out of his..."
The word you were looking for is, I know, I know.: :butthead:

That said, I agree with AZ but she-who-must-keep-talking :phone::dj:
must add on :)

So let me throw in the fact that in a criminal trial, counsel must be extremely cautious in making openings, and arguments. As the representative of the defendant, counsel absolutely has the power to make a statement which then becomes binding upon the defendant.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-931.ZS.html

This is what is known as a type of "judicial admission." This doctrine is not the same as saying that everything counsel says , can and will be used against the client to infinity plus one hour, when it comes to using those attorney statements in subsequent litigation, be it criminal or civil. Lawyers have gotten into trouble (disciplinary type trouble) for saying things in opening and closing which were jaw-dropping boo-boo's. Rare, but it happens.
Suppose JB's opening did constitute a binding judicial admission,
The issue would become this:
If a lawyer makes a judicial admission in a criminal trial, is the lawyer's client bound by that admission in future proceedings.
A "judicial admission" is generally understood to be a concession to an alleged fact.
For example: Sure my client murdered him but there is an explanation. Did I mention he was incredibly negligent as well. Gee she was really drunk out of her mind but such a good driver. :eek:

These admissions go to items alleged for the most part.
It was not alleged by the state that Caylee drowned, specifically.
JB was not "admitting" to a fact which helped the other side.

Not that this post is too long but it is time for...

Intermission--- :popcorn:

Anyway, it's my opinion that the drowning theory does not rise to an admission level, as presented in opening, to even get us to the issue of how long it would bind the client.

Based on 10 minutes of "research" lol, it appears that the elements in Florida for judicial estoppel are:
(1) a representation as to a material fact that is contrary to a later-asserted position,
(2) reliance on that representation,
(3) a change in position detrimental to the party claiming estoppel, caused by the representation and reliance thereon,
(4) successfully maintaining a position in one proceeding, while taking an inconsistent position in a later proceeding, in which the same parties and questions are involved.
Seems to me that the "same parties" requirement would make the doctrine inapplicable here, regardless of the meaning of "successfully maintaining," "reliance," etc.

Agree...nth power.

The doctrines of judicial estoppel, res judicata, etc.....not a factor.
The fact of the drowning is not an item that has been categorically proven in a Court of law.
The drowning is not a matter which was found to be true and a fact by the jury and as such , remains undecided for Court purposes.

The legal requirements to invoke the doctrine of judicial estoppel just aren't met. Ditto for res judicata.

Hope this helps a little.
If it makes things more confusing, then :nevermind:
MH:wolf:
opinion, of course

Thank you Miracles Happen - clearly your reply took you some good time to put together.

So, my translation of what you've said is a Defense Lawyer can make a completely untrue statement in his O/S, continue to use that statement "as if" it is a statement of fact or an admission by the defendant such as the one he used -Caylee Marie Anthony drowned in the family pool on June 16th, 2008 - throughout the trial. And that this statement which is the basis of his defense can be complete and absolute bunk - but it is still perfectly legal? :furious:

And for any following civil or criminal procedure, OCA or her DT can come up with any other statement as a Defense which is different but also complete bunk and that is also legal? :furious:

Although the State or the lawyers who are pursuing litigation have their feet held to the fire it becomes a case of may the best liar win? :waitasec:

If so this explains much to me.

Okay, MiraclesHappen, I can see what you are saying. But what about the "story" JB told about her father finding Caylee and bringing her to KC, placing Caylee in her arms and KC, cried and she cried and she cried and then GA's speech. That information could only come from KC or he made it up in his head and therefore lied, correct?

Thank you Miracles Happen - clearly your reply took you some good time to put together.

So, my translation of what you've said is a Defense Lawyer can make a completely untrue statement in his O/S, continue to use that statement "as if" it is a statement of fact or an admission by the defendant such as the one he used -Caylee Marie Anthony drowned in the family pool on June 16th, 2008 - throughout the trial. And that this statement which is the basis of his defense can be complete and absolute bunk - but it is still perfectly legal? :furious:

And for any following civil or criminal procedure, OCA or her DT can come up with any other statement as a Defense which is different but also complete bunk and that is also legal? :furious:

Although the State or the lawyers who are pursuing litigation have their feet held to the fire it becomes a case of may the best liar win? :waitasec:

In an interview some time after the trial Baez admitted that the drowning and the molestation story were just theories.

Okay, MiraclesHappen, I can see what you are saying. But what about the "story" JB told about her father finding Caylee and bringing her to KC, placing Caylee in her arms and KC, cried and she cried and she cried and then GA's speech. That information could only come from KC or he made it up in his head and therefore lied, correct?

In an interview some time after the trial Baez admitted that the drowning and the molestation story were just theories.

No, a lawyer cannot just make up things and call it an opening statement.

There are ethical rules which must be followed. AZlawyer pointed this out.....there is a professional responsibility code of conduct.
Furthermore, knowingly presenting false information, knowingly making false statements to the court will fast track a lawyer to the disciplinary committees. Honest.
At that point a lawyer is playing with his or her ticket to practice law.

I don't want to start a discussion here,
But here's my question.
Why do we think that the conduct of any one lawyer is a definitive statement of what all lawyers do, and how they do it, and also a good example of what is allowable.
Defense counsel gets the defense from the client or there isn't one.
Defense counsel cannot just depart from what a client represents or ratifies, and put forth an opening statement which has been thought up exclusively by that lawyer who is defending said client.
This type of conduct by a lawyer is the subject of ethical guidelines and the fabrication of a defense by defense counsel is not ethically allowable.

I say that the lawyer gets the "defense story" from the client and the client's witnesses, or there isn't one.
Now, when there just is no defense to put forth in an opening statement then what is usually done is that the lawyer puts the focus on Reasonable Doubt. The lawyer hammers away to create reasonable doubt.

If the info did not come from Casey or wasn't "approved" by Casey then there is as huge ethical problem.

If JB called it a theory I do not see any big AHA!!! It's JB. Maybe he should have used the term "The evidence will show" more often in the opening.
That's really what an opening is supposed to be.
It's a statement of what the evidence will show......

The evidence was really lacking in this case. Maybe we haven't heard the last of it.
I have a real problem with the concept of making an opening with knowledge that there will not be any evidence to support all or part of the statement. I can't recall seeing it done prior to this.

JB did not testify to anything by doing the opening. The theory of defense is not evidence. It is not a binding admission, again as AZ and I have already stated. I am not saying I agree with the idea of doing an opening which remains pretty much unsupported by evidence. I am not saying I like
the result.

Thank you
MH :wolf:
opnion

I have not read that interview but I would really, really love to. Could you please post a link? Thanks!

I'm hoping the other attorneys are right that judicial estoppel won't apply due to Florida's special extra requirements. It will be much more fun to listen to Casey trying to explain how her bogus Zanny stories are actually true. Or whatever other story she pulls out of her sass.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

There are ethical rules which must be followed. AZlawyer pointed this out.....there is a professional responsibility code of conduct.
Furthermore, knowingly presenting false information, knowingly making false statements to the court will fast track a lawyer to the disciplinary committees. Honest.

But here's my question.
Why do we think that the conduct of any one lawyer is a definitive statement of what all lawyers do, and how they do it, and also a good example of what is allowable.
Defense counsel cannot just depart from what a client represents or ratifies, and put forth an opening statement which has been thought up exclusively by that lawyer who is defending said client.
This type of conduct by a lawyer is the subject of ethical guidelines and the fabrication of a defense by defense counsel is not ethically allowable.

I say that the lawyer gets the "defense story" from the client and the client's witnesses, or there isn't one.
Now, when there just is no defense to put forth in an opening statement then what is usually done is that the lawyer puts the focus on Reasonable Doubt. The lawyer hammers away to create reasonable doubt.

If the info did not come from Casey or wasn't "approved" by Casey then there is as huge ethical problem.

If JB called it a theory I do not see any big AHA!!! It's JB. Maybe he should have used the term "The evidence will show" more often in the opening.

The evidence was really lacking in this case. Maybe we haven't heard the last of it.
I have a real problem with the concept of making an opening with knowledge that there will not be any evidence to support all or part of the statement. I can't recall seeing it done prior to this.

JB did not testify to anything by doing the opening. The theory of defense is not evidence. It is not a binding admission, again as AZ and I have already stated. I am not saying I agree with the idea of doing an opening which remains pretty much unsupported by evidence. I am not saying I like
the result.

Thank you
opnion

In essence what it becomes is a lie based on a lie. jmo

Not sure if this has been answered previously, but when trying to get testimony out of OCA regarding what she knew or didn't know when speaking to TM, can she still just plead the 5th again or is she compelled to testify by the judge?

But here's my question.

the result.

Thank you
opnion

Oh I can finally see what you are saying! Insert a few choruses of "I can see clearly now...the rain is gone..."
Thanks so much for clearing up the (legal) fog in my poor stuck brain! :heartluv:

Not sure if this has been answered previously, but when trying to get testimony out of OCA regarding what she knew or didn't know when speaking to TM, can she still just plead the 5th again or is she compelled to testify by the judge?

IMO she can plead the 5th for anything relating to her lying convictions (which means practically anything) pending the appeal and final resolution of that matter.

IMO she can plead the 5th for anything relating to her lying convictions (which means practically anything) pending the appeal and final resolution of that matter.
Representing DUI/assault and battery/other criminal defendants in civil cases, my experience has been that taking the 5th results in an adverse jury instruction along the lines that if a party refuses to produce evidence (for example, testimony) within its control then then the jury may properly infer that such evidence would have been adverse to the party refusing to produce such evidence. Casey is "judgment-proof" i.e. owns no assets so the reality is she will suffer no consequences as a result of any civil money-judgments against her, so losing the civil cases won't bother her at all. There may be some homeowners insurance policies that lose a little but why would Casey bother herself about that?

Katprint

Representing DUI/assault and battery/other criminal defendants in civil cases, my experience has been that taking the 5th results in an adverse jury instruction along the lines that if a party refuses to produce evidence (for example, testimony) within its control then then the jury may properly infer that such evidence would have been adverse to the party refusing to produce such evidence. Casey is "judgment-proof" i.e. owns no assets so the reality is she will suffer no consequences as a result of any civil money-judgments against her, so losing the civil cases won't bother her at all. There may be some homeowners insurance policies that lose a little but why would Casey bother herself about that?

Katprint

Oh, I agree. She can plead the 5th, but it might make her lose the civil case(s).

And, as you said, losing the civil case(s) will not mean much to her at this time.

As you can see - okiedokietoo placed this in the Current News today.

Appeal Update re: FALSE INFO TO LEO RE MISSING PERSON OR FELONY
Florida Fifth District Court of Appeal Docket
Case Number: 5D11-2357
Final Criminal Judgment and Sentence Notice from Orange County
CASEY MARIE ANTHONY vs. STATE OF FLORIDA
Lower Tribunal Case(s): 08-CF-15606-A
-----------------------------------------------
07/20/2011 Notice of Appeal Filed Appellant
10/28/2011 Show Cause Lack of Prosecution, Initial Brief/ROA 11/07/2011 W/I 10 DYS
10/31/2011 Motion Extension of Time To File Record Appellant
11/01/2011 Order Granting Time Extension To File Record
---DATE DUE 01/17/2012 ANY FURTHER REQUESTS FOR AN EOT FOR THIS PURPOSE MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AFFIDAVIT FROM COURT REPORTER STATING FACTUAL BASIS FOR NEED FOR FURTHER EXTENSION

http://199.242.69.70/pls/ds/ds_docket_search?pscourt=5

We're trying to figure out who is stalling or what exactly this notice is saying..can you help with an explanation? Thanks in advance for all you legal eagles do for us...

As you can see - okiedokietoo placed this in the Current News today.

We're trying to figure out who is stalling or what exactly this notice is saying..can you help with an explanation? Thanks in advance for all you legal eagles do for us...

It looks like Casey's lawyers didn't file the trial transcript with the appellate court on time and got an extension until 1/17/02.

It looks like Casey's lawyers didn't file the trial transcript with the appellate court on time and got an extension until 1/17/02.
Lack of money to pay for the transcript. I'm guessing that's the cause for the Clerk's delay. Clerk hasn't been paid for it.

On the ZFG Depo thread, it says that KC and her civil attorney have requested to see any payments that JM may have made to ZG. What bearing does this have, if any, to the civil case? IIRC, KC received monies from her criminal legal team in addition to free legal services. It was reported that she received $70,000 from TM alone. What do you think they are getting at by asking for this information? TIA!

On the ZFG Depo thread, it says that KC and her civil attorney have requested to see any payments that JM may have made to ZG. What bearing does this have, if any, to the civil case? IIRC, KC received monies from her criminal legal team in addition to free legal services. It was reported that she received $70,000 from TM alone. What do you think they are getting at by asking for this information? TIA!

First of all, they might be just fishing for something that would violate an ethics rule in hopes of "spooking" JM.

But giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they are searching for evidence to support a theory that JM recruited ZG as his client, using the promise of monetary assistance to entice her to sue, in order to increase his own fame, rather than because she had actually suffered damages.

It's still fishing IMO.

AZLawyer-I remember reading/hearing that since ZG is suing for financial damages they requested that info to show that she has actually MADE money on this case. It may have been said on Greene's video recently released re: this case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back