Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sad, it still doesn't seem possible.

You are so right about the phantom pain. My bf thinks he has super bad back pain and continues to take oxycontin. He got addicted after a few weeks and now his pain is worse!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OxyContin is a synthetic opiate, which is basically the same as endorphins that are naturally produced by the body. When you're taking opiates, the body is like, "hey, cool, I'm getting endorphins from this pill, I'm not going to make as many as I used to!".

So then, when you try to stop the opiates, your body hasn't been producing many of its own endorphins, and therefore the pain actually can be worse due to the body's inability to use the endorphins as a natural pain reliever.

This is why stopping opiates is so very difficult, because the person feels everything much more intensely because the endorphins aren't there to buffer. Eventually the body will begin producing them again, but it takes a while. Far longer than most opiate addicts can stand.

I am an RN and have about 8 years of substance abuse experience. I'd like to also point out that there's a difference between substance dependence and substance abuse. Due to the nature of certain drugs the body becomes dependent on them *even when used exactly as prescribed*. Many people don't understand this and find themselves "addicted" but they're not abusing the drug. Doctors don't explain it. I can't tell you how many people I've treated who are literally in tears because they are trying to come off medications that were prescribed for them and they feel betrayed by their doctors.

Our country has a drug problem of a much larger scale than most people know. Substance abuse and mental health issues go hand in hand, as well. People self medicate to alleviate anxiety, to sleep, to stop hearing voices, to feel better....and the cycle continues.

OxyContin is a synthetic opiate, which is basically the same as endorphins that are naturally produced by the body. When you're taking opiates, the body is like, "hey, cool, I'm getting endorphins from this pill, I'm not going to make as many as I used to!".

So then, when you try to stop the opiates, your body hasn't been producing many of its own endorphins, and therefore the pain actually can be worse due to the body's inability to use the endorphins as a natural pain reliever.

This is why stopping opiates is so very difficult, because the person feels everything much more intensely because the endorphins aren't there to buffer. Eventually the body will begin producing them again, but it takes a while. Far longer than most opiate addicts can stand.

I am an RN and have about 8 years of substance abuse experience. I'd like to also point out that there's a difference between substance dependence and substance abuse. Due to the nature of certain drugs the body becomes dependent on them *even when used exactly as prescribed*. Many people don't understand this and find themselves "addicted" but they're not abusing the drug. Doctors don't explain it. I can't tell you how many people I've treated who are literally in tears because they are trying to come off medications that were prescribed for them and they feel betrayed by their doctors.

Our country has a drug problem of a much larger scale than most people know. Substance abuse and mental health issues go hand in hand, as well. People self medicate to alleviate anxiety, to sleep, to stop hearing voices, to feel better....and the cycle continues.
Thanks so much for your insight and explanation/analogy on how opiates affect the body. It is a shame that doctors continue to renew these prescriptions month after month instead of slowly weaning their patients off after 10 days or so. I so agree this country has a serious problem regarding the current pain management approach. Needs to be revisited for sure.

Jun 3 2016, 9:22 am ET

What Is Fentanyl? The Drug That Killed Prince Has Killed Thousands of Others

by Alex Johnson

The drug that killed Prince is a narcotic so powerful that it was blamed for the accidental deaths of as many as 120 hostages when Russian forces used it to subdue Chechen terrorists during the 2002 siege of a packed Moscow theater.

A medical examiner's report Thursday said Prince — who was found dead April 21 in an elevator at his home studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota — died from fentanyl toxicity.

The autopsy report from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, gave no details apart from declaring that Prince, 57, died from an apparently self-administered dose of fentanyl. It's still not known how he got the drug or, if it was prescribed, why...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ed-prince-has-killed-thousands-others-n584961

The public only knows one piece from the tox findings, but the portrait coming to light is one of aloneness - imo. The piano and microphone tour, that last paisley park party with a fortelling message, being alone the night he passed away, and perhaps too deep in the rollercoaster grips of pain med dependency and withdrawal to make a will? Prince was defined not only by his musical genius, but also by his prowess as a dancer and performer. When the body and mind betray all one has ever counted on, the psychological effects must have been devastating.

This man will always be remembered for his incredible genius - Imo. No one knows when our time will be but some have a better clue than others... I do think Prince knew he was in deep and perhaps wanted to go out, subconsciously, and be remembered for the shining star he was, and not as broken (as he may have perceived) in addiction recovery. I can only think this because so many in his inner circle are so shocked by the contrast of his ability to perform and lifestyle of healthy nutrition, and how he appeared to be so together, and so many had no clue...

He lived the highs and lows in ways most will never know. But it does seem there can be a huge price to pay for superstardom. God bless his soul.

Probe begins to learn who supplied Prince with opioid

Michael Tarm and Amy Forliti, Associated Press 10:09 a.m. EDT June 3, 2016

Minneapolis — Word from authorities that Prince died of an overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid that is up to 50 times more potent than heroin, is far from the end of the investigation. In some ways, it’s just the beginning.

After Thursday’s announcement about the superstar’s death, investigators in the months to come will try to determine whether the singer had a prescription for the drug or whether it was supplied illegally. If it’s the latter, someone could face criminal charges carrying years, or even decades, in prison.

Prince was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate, and at least one friend has said he suffered from intense knee and hip pain from many years of performances...

Although the death was formally ruled an accident, that merely signified that it was not intentional and does not preclude a criminal prosecution.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/people/2016/06/03/prince-death/85338932/

Prince had access to everything... Imo.

Doctors must have a very difficult task weighing the balance of famous vs standard medical care. Who would have prescribed fentanyl in a lethal dose, especiously after MJ's death?

Not blaming anyone but wondering if his doctors were in the dark, as well... Or wondering if doctors knew?

It's so very sad, not only for those who loved Prince, but also for those who could not save him....

Jun 3 2016, 9:22 am ET

What Is Fentanyl? The Drug That Killed Prince Has Killed Thousands of Others

by Alex Johnson

The drug that killed Prince is a narcotic so powerful that it was blamed for the accidental deaths of as many as 120 hostages when Russian forces used it to subdue Chechen terrorists during the 2002 siege of a packed Moscow theater.

A medical examiner's report Thursday said Prince — who was found dead April 21 in an elevator at his home studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota — died from fentanyl toxicity.

The autopsy report from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, gave no details apart from declaring that Prince, 57, died from an apparently self-administered dose of fentanyl. It's still not known how he got the drug or, if it was prescribed, why...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ed-prince-has-killed-thousands-others-n584961

Could he have been going to Walgreen's to get the Fentanyl? That's what it seems like...

Could he have been going to Walgreen's to get the Fentanyl? That's what it seems like...
I don't think so. If so, LE would know the name of the doctor that prescribed it. I dont think it was prescribed. I think the patch or patches were given to him.

Perhaps Prince already had the patch on and then went to Walgreens to pick up more pain meds (Percocet?) He took one or two straight away then after being dropped off, he collapsed in the elevator on his way up to his flat. Just speculation on my part.

I remember reading that Percocet was found on his person and that preliminary autopsy results also revealed Prince had Percocet in his system.

Hi my WS Friends. Lonf time member.

Anyone can say what they want about Prince. It will never dull my admiration and THANKS to an Artist that brought us so many joy.

I haven't stopped listening. RIP.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Prince had access to everything... Imo.

Doctors must have a very difficult task weighing the balance of famous vs standard medical care. Who would have prescribed fentanyl in a lethal dose, especiously after MJ's death?

Not blaming anyone but wondering if his doctors were in the dark, as well... Or wondering if doctors knew?

It's so very sad, not only for those who loved Prince, but also for those who could not save him....

Dr. Conrad Murray was administering Propofol to Michael Jackson so that MJ could sleep. Propofol is not a pain medication. It is a fast-acting sleep agent that is widely used for minor outpatient procedures like D&C and colonoscopy. Nurse anesthetists refer to Propofol as a "forgetting medicine". I don't know if Propofol is addictive because most folks don't use it nightly like MJ did. :rolleyes:

Doctors have knowledge of drug interaction which is why I'd be really surprised if Prince was prescribed fentanyl...

MJ had more than several drugs in his system which is part of the tragedy of his death. I remember thinking at the time who on earth would prescribe or administer such a drug in a home setting like that. MJ was also wafer thin when he died...

Michael Jackson had a cocktail of drugs in his system when he died, according to testimony in the wrongful death suit Jackson's family has filed against AEG.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/07/local/la-me-jackson-trial-20130507

"Prince was fully clothed in black socks, hat, pants, shirt, and a grey undershirt when he was found dead April 21 in an elevator at his Chanhassen, MN, home, the report says.

How he got fentanyl isn't known. It's the most potent opioid available for medical treatment. But in recent years, it has become a favorite of opioid addicts, because it's extremely potent and packs a near-instantaneous high.

That’s also what makes it so deadly. It can kill in seconds, and fentanyl overdoses are a growing problem in the U.S.

The drug was introduced into medical practices as an IV anesthetic in the 1960s. Today it's legally available by prescription as a treatment for cancer pain that returns while you're on other opioids. But it's also made in clandestine labs and imported into the U.S. as a street drug."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/864299

Any of the Fentanyl patches manufactured by a legitimate drug company would have very precisely calibrated dosages. And as with all street manufactured drugs, you never know what you are getting.

The main reason methadone clinics came into being was to get addicts off street drugs - where overdose is a real and ongoing possibility - and onto a steady, calibrated dosage of opioid. Then, ideally the patient would be treated to taper down from the methadone. Unfortunately, far too often the taper down never happens and the patient ends up going to the methadone clinic AND supplementing with street drugs.

Dr. Conrad Murray was administering Propofol to Michael Jackson so that MJ could sleep. Propofol is not a pain medication. It is a fast-acting sleep agent that is widely used for minor outpatient procedures like D&C and colonoscopy. Nurse anesthetists refer to Propofol as a "forgetting medicine". I don't know if Propofol is addictive because most folks don't use it nightly like MJ did. :rolleyes:
MJ had also taken pain killers with the propofol didn't he?

Prince Remembered by Purple Rain Star, Morris Day on The Sounds of Film with Tom Needham

Tom Needham: I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your long-time friend, Prince. I understand that you went to high school together.

Morris Day: Yeah, I appreciate that. There are really no words to describe the loss. It is difficult. I will be dealing with this for a really long time.

http://www.longisland.com/news/05-03-16/prince-purple-rain-morris-day-sounds-of-film.html

-The journey is the creative ride and what a ride Prince and Morris Day shared with Purple Rain.

Officials sound the alarm over deadly synthetic fentanyl in Minnesota
By Stephen Montemayor Star Tribune APRIL 4, 2016 — 1:57PM
http://www.startribune.com/official...ly-synthetic-fentanyl-in-minnesota/374352711/

"Narcotics seized after a series of overdose deaths last month in the Fargo-Moorhead area — first thought to be heroin — instead turned out to be nearly all fentanyl, federal authorities say. It’s the second time in a decade that synthetic opioids like fentanyl, ordinarily used in medical settings to treat severe pain, have emerged from clandestine drug labs to sweep across the United States."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker