Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE says they can find no RX for him for Fentanyl... I'm thinking he could have eaten the gel...my ex does that , offered me some one day when I had a headache...I declined and thought ...this is why you are my ex....

Is there a link or source for that information? I thought the investigation was far from completed. Has there been a press conference in the US?

Just realized the autopsy said self-administered, not self-injected. Opens up more possibilities. It's very easy to OD on Fentanyl patches, even when using the prescribed dose. We always start them out on the lowest possible does (depends on how much Opiods they are used to taking... a hospice patient would likely need a higher dose patch....one that would kill someone else.) So maybe he chewed the patches, or put on an extra one, or injected the contents.

NEVER use a Fentanyl patch if it hasn't been prescribed for you. They don't work right away, and then you can be dead in a hot second.

1. Prince’s best friend Kirk Johnson could be key in death investigation[

The court document, obtained by the Los Angeles Times, discloses that police seized Prince Rogers Nelson’s medical records from a Minneapolis-area hospital in early May. Investigators were particularly interested in files involving a family-medicine doctor who had treated Prince in the weeks before the singer was found dead April 21 in a Paisley Park elevator.

The warrant also reveals Johnson, 51, told detectives that Prince had gone to another local medical clinic for an illness in 2014 or 2015.

According to Federal Aviation Administration records, Chanhassen-based Life Time Fitness — the health club where Johnson works as a trainer and group fitness instructor — owns the plane involved in the emergency landing. The gym’s spokeswoman declined to answer questions about the company’s plane and Prince.

Johnson traded text messages with a Star Tribune reporter several hours after the emergency landing.
“All is good. Home and well,” Johnson wrote.
“What happened?” the reporter asked.
“Bad dehydration. Sorry, I can’t talk right now. Hey u and 2 million others are on me, but I’m not the publicist. Sorry.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prince-best-friend-could-be-key-in-death-investigation-203516394.html

2. Prince’s longtime friend who found singer’s body asks for privacy

The Star Tribune, citing an unidentified source with knowledge of the investigation, has reported that Kirk Johnson had recommended the doctor who was seeing Prince in the weeks before his death.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...und-singer-s-body-asks-for-privacy-1.11817762

So, there are a couple of connections here, imo. Prince was seeing a new doctor recommended by his friend Kirk Johnson, and I read somewhere else that Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg was Johnson’s family doctor. I would be shocked if he prescribed both Fentanyl and Percocet as a family practice doctor and also knowing what happened to Prince on the plane (which is owned by Johnson’s fitness club). Still, I wonder why he left his practice after Prince died?

Seems like a family doctor would do an exam, run blood work, and maybe prescribe the Percocet. And we know the Addiction Rehab CA was called. But, perhaps Prince still had a connection to the other clinic that Johnson referenced, or a previous prescription?

--all imo speculation---

I'm not sure there was even any Percocet involved at all. That may be just a rumor. No official statement has mentioned Percocet...how did the Percocet thing get started? It was said, IIRC, that opioids were on his person, but the type wasn't revealed.

I'm not convinced he was an extreme chronic pain sufferer, either. Sheila E said he was, but who's to say she's a reliable source about such a personal subjective matter.

Maybe after Moline, or even before, he was trying to kick his drug dependence (thus "flu" symptoms) but then gave in to a craving or on the fatal day, he decided "just this last time before rehab." Although I'm not convinced he would have agreed to go to rehab. Kornfeld was there to try to convince him, if I understand correctly. It wasn't a done deal. These are things we'll never know, I guess.

I'm not sure there was even any Percocet involved at all. That may be just a rumor. No official statement has mentioned Percocet...how did the Percocet thing get started? It was said, IIRC, that opioids were on his person, but the type wasn't revealed.

I'm not convinced he was an extreme chronic pain sufferer, either. Sheila E said he was, but who's to say she's a reliable source about such a personal subjective matter.

Maybe after Moline, or even before, he was trying to kick his drug dependence (thus "flu" symptoms) but then gave in to a craving or on the fatal day, he decided "just this last time before rehab." Although I'm not convinced he would have agreed to go to rehab. Kornfeld was there to try to convince him, if I understand correctly. It wasn't a done deal. These are things we'll never know, I guess.

It isn't just Sheila E though, is it?

Kevin Smith mentions it, there was talk of hip replacement and his autopsy report listed a scar on one hip which suggests that an operation may well have taken place. You don't get a hip replacement without there being severe pain and degeneration of the joint.

I have seen posts from fans who recall him needing to be assisted on and off stage more recently on occasion.

Why would he alway carry a walking stick if he didn't need it at times?

Just basic anatomy and physiology would suggest that osteoarthritis due to wear and tear on his hip joints was highly likely. How may times do you or I do the splits? Have you seen footage of his early stage shows - he was doing the splits, jumping off speakers repeatedly throughout his shows and then night after night as he toured worldwide. Frankly I am amazed that there are so many people refusing to believe he suffered pain as a result - in my view it would be more unbelievable that he didn't suffer chronic pain.

Sadly, although hip replacements work wonderfully for a lot of people, they do not always get rid of the pain and I could well imagine Prince not adhering to the recommendations for rehab after surgery and therefore failing to reap the potential benefits.

This clip from a 2009 interview interested me. Look at the way Prince is walking when he comes in. This was the day after a big concert in Paris and he appears to be limping quite significantly. The lighting is pretty dim (not sure if this was deliberate) - but have a look and see what you think.

[video=youtube;8BizpQz9L1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BizpQz9L1I[/video]

That's not to say that fentanyl was definitely prescribed for Prince legitimately - I don't know. But I think it likely that he was a chronic pain sufferer - just due to the excessive wear and tear his joints were subjected to as a natural result of the work that he did and due to the 'full-on' shows he staged in his early career. (Some rock musicians have developed arthritis simply from playing their instruments quite apart from anything else).

I know a lot of FMs from US on here and other sites have suggested that Fentanyl is only used for terminal cancer pain - that certainly isn't the case in this country (UK).

The licence for fentanyl patches covers use in chronic pain (so - no mention of cancer pain only). I think this is totally inappropriate and once again shines a not very flattering light on the motivations of the pharmaceutical industry. It means we now have significant numbers of people on fentanyl patches for conditions such as back pain. Whilst wonderfully lucrative for big Pharma, I believe this treatment approach is pretty ineffective from a pain control point of view and potentially devastating from a dependance angle.

There is now increasing clinical evidence emerging that opiates aren't actually very effective in osteoarthritic types of chronic pain - small comfort to those chronic pain sufferers who are now dependent on opiates having received them on prescription.

I suspect similar problems are probably present in the US as well.

This is the FDA information on the licensed uses of Duragesic patches:

DURAGESIC is a transdermal formulation of fentanyl indicated for the management of persistent, moderate to severe chronic pain in opioid-tolerant patients 2 years of age and older when a continuous, around-the-clock opioid analgesic is required for an extended period of time, and the patient cannot be managed by other means such as non-steroidal analgesics, opioid combination products, or immediate-release opioids.

Patients considered opioid-tolerant are those who are taking at least 60 mg of morphine daily, or at least 30 mg of oral oxycodone daily, or at least 8 mg of oral hydromorphone daily, or an equianalgesic dose of another opioid for a week or longer.

I can see a scenario where Prince was prescribed less potent opiates early on to deal with hip and joint pain and became dependent leading to escalation of the medicines used to maintain the effect.

Just my personal opinion obviously.

Bbm: this is correct. Re Percocet found on his body and in bloodstream - the press states "sources close to investigation". Same thing with emergency plane landing.

One big clue though is that the Feds were brought into the investigation... But really there is very little official information other than statement indicating no sign of foul play or suicide and then the ME's COD re fentanyl toxicity, last week.

Logic tells me as with any repetitive physical occupational movement the body can only handle it for so long. We see this in many professions. For someone like Prince you can see the holding back on stage in his later years and his use of the aid of a cane for at least a decade...

The man remains a mystery because there were no obvious signs of excess, or self destruction, that are far more visible in other aging performers. And, he had just performed two wonderful concerts in Atlanta a week before he died...

So, while his death by a very powerful opiate is really shocking, I tend to think the man was suffering physically, and perhaps used these meds in a way that didn't compromise his musical performances, but provided relief afterwards? Could be the perils of self medicating, and, the body finally couldn't handle it...

--all imo---

Is there a link or source for that information? I thought the investigation was far from completed. Has there been a press conference in the US?

The investigation is ongoing ...ill try to find a link...

Sadly there are geographical restrictions, so I cannot access this.

I can't find text of Professor Tackett's comments, but here's a youtube link. Maybe it will work for you.

[video=youtube;lU10-WbqEqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU10-WbqEqc[/video]

Logic tells me as with any repetitive physical occupational movement the body can only handle it for so long. We see this in many professions. For someone like Prince you can see the holding back on stage in his later years and his use of the aid of a cane for at least a decade...

The man remains a mystery because there were no obvious signs of excess, or self destruction, that are far more visible in other aging performers. And, he had just performed two wonderful concerts in Atlanta a week before he died...

So, while his death by a very powerful opiate is really shocking, I tend to think the man was suffering physically, and perhaps used these meds in a way that didn't compromise his musical performances, but provided relief afterwards? Could be the perils of self medicating, and, the body finally couldn't handle it...

--all imo---
Makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Long winded article, almost lost me in the second and third paragraph BU did become relevant 4-8 and then wandered a bit but worth reading...at least skim reading.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/05/prince-death-by-ignorance-and.html

Prince ran the place like what it was--a world class production facility with a massive soundstage, recording studio, and performance space. From my observations, the partying took place offsite and did not involve Prince. (It was apparently in George Clinton’s wheelhouse, however.)

She was obviously in the know, if you recall my much earlier posts here about George at PPP,s

Long winded article, almost lost me in the second and third paragraph BU did become relevant 4-8 and then wandered a bit but worth reading...at least skim reading.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/05/prince-death-by-ignorance-and.html

Prince ran the place like what it was--a world class production facility with a massive soundstage, recording studio, and performance space. From my observations, the partying took place offsite and did not involve Prince. (It was apparently in George Clinton’s wheelhouse, however.)

She was obviously in the know, if you recall my much earlier posts here about George at PPP,s
A very interesting and heartfelt article. I believe it answers a lot of questions on WHY?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This is my county! Wow!

I guess it is easy to get them without a doctor. MOO

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/bar...rgest-fentanyl-busts-in-the-country/326593039

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bbm: Tip of the iceberg, gngr~snap... Probably destined to cut heroin.

Perhaps a bit OT (and long winded!) but related-- Prince - he grew up in my generation, a teenager in the 70's

--In 1970, an upperclassman of mine died of a heroin OD in my small, but politically progressive high school in a major college town. THAT scared the 'you know what' out of so many kids - shook a whole high school to its core. Why? Because heroin addiction and methadone clinics was kind of for rock stars and big cities... This incredible wave of gifted, amazing musicians, who couldn't handle fame and excess lost their lives so young in the 60's & 70's. -It was so scary... And not to forget the Viet Nam War Vets who suffered so terribly with addiction and withdrawal back then as well.

--I knew no one who shot heroin, ever again (and this was even through the 80's) until 2013 when a daughter of a friend was jailed for distributing heroin and went through rehab..

I am astonished at how sporadic and random that tragedy was back then in high school vs. what LE is dealing with every day, in almost every town in America.... Officers, not much older than the ones receiving the Narcan shots...

What happened? Is it the very small study that promoted synthetic heroin aka opoids as safe and non-addictive pain reliever for all kinds of conditions to the general public? Was it the studies that measure "patient quality care" with pain relief on the top of the list of the questionnaire at hospitals? Was it the drug companies forecasting an unbelievable profit on the Stock Market? And of course was it the nefarious doctors who knew an addict when they saw one?

I don't know - I don't blame Prince for being completely skeptical and stubborn about XY&Z treatment and/or plan, etc... Thing is, when the body, mind and spirit get altered, so does the ability to make clear-headed choices... Add genius and fame to that, and look at the pressure to do surgical alterations to stay relevant, and I have to say at the end of the day Prince stayed true to himself -- and, at the end of the day, we all, famous or otherwise have secrets.

Prince stayed true to himself. I think of him with his cane, and no plastic anything, and staying true to his Minnesota roots, his hometown, and the music always, and life he built. Maybe it was lonely in the end but it was true blue and it doesn't get any more beautiful, and perhaps, most of all, I love him for that.

Prince: Remembering him on his birthday

Minn. Gov. Mark Dayton declares June 7, 'Prince Day'

By Lisa Respers France CNN

Posted: 11:56 PM, June 06, 2016

Tuesday was supposed to be a day of celebration for Prince fans.

But with an ongoing investigation into the death of the pop icon, the stage has also been set for it to be a day of mourning.

The star, who died on April 21 at age 57, was remembered on social media, radio stations and around the world with more than a few wishing he was still here to share in the accolades...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/prince-remembering-him-on-his-birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam