Lion Air Flight JT610 plane crashes in Indonesia, 29 Oct 2018 *lawyer Tom Girardi charged in 2023 with defrauding victims*

You may not need to boycott Boeing planes if other airlines follow suit. At least for a few months:
American Airlines now won't use its fleet of Boeing 737 Max planes any time this summer.

The world's largest airline, which has 24 of the 737 Max jets in its fleet, said it is canceling about 115 flights a day through September 3 as a result of the grounding. It previously had canceled flights through August 19. The plane was grounded in mid-March after two fatal crashes, putting focus on a particular safety feature on the plane.
American's canceled flights are the most extensive among US airlines. Southwest (LUV), which has 34 of the 737 Max jets in its fleet, has canceled flights only through August 5 at this time. United Airlines' (UAL) cancellations also run into August.
American Airline cancellations due to 737 Max now stretch past Labor Day - CNN

It’s believed to be the first settlement in the nearly 100 lawsuits filed against Boeing after the October 2018 accident and another crash involving a Boeing 737 Max jet in March in Ethiopia.

The settlements were reached last month. The firm declined to discuss financial terms.

Boeing did not admit liability.

Law firm says it settled some cases involving Boeing crashes

It’s believed to be the first settlement in the nearly 100 lawsuits filed against Boeing after the October 2018 accident and another crash involving a Boeing 737 Max jet in March in Ethiopia.

The settlements were reached last month. The firm declined to discuss financial terms.

Boeing did not admit liability.

Law firm says it settled some cases involving Boeing crashes

Apparently Boeing has paid out $1.2 million per victim I think I would be wanting Boeing executives prosecuted too. The company is an absolute disgrace.

I dread when those planes go back into service.

Me too it should never be allowed back in service. I will never fly any airline that has one I would refuse to get on it. A disgraceful and outrageous U.K airline Ryanair are changing the model number to 737-8200 on the side of the plane instead of putting 737-Max on the planes they have ordered but it’s the same plane. I wish the pilots union, cabin crew union and customers would join ranks and refuse to get on it.

A whistleblower who worked for Boeing for almost 30 years says he would not fly on the plane he helped build due to serious safety concerns. The company is facing intense scrutiny after two of its 737 MAX 8 planes were involved in fatal crashes in the last 18 months.

Now a second aircraft model — the 787 Dreamliner — is also facing allegations of production problems which compromise its safety.

Former Boeing quality manager John Barnett worked on the company's flagship 787 Dreamliner in the United States but he does not consider any of the planes that left the company's North Charleston factory airworthy. He said, "I would not fly on a Dreamliner and I've asked my family and begged my family not to fly Dreamliners because I know, I know what's under the skin."

While inspecting the planes, he noticed metal shaving scraps, left over from the installation of floor panels, had fallen near electrical wiring on some of the completed planes. He said, "When you mix metal slivers with electrical components, it's a recipe for disaster". He believed the debris posed a fire risk, and alerted Boeing management, but says his concerns were brushed off and he was moved to a different area. He was told that it was too expensive for them to take the panels down and clean them.

He also discovered problems with the oxygen supply on the plane that feed into drop-down masks for passengers when there is a mid-air emergency. When he tested them at the factory, he said he found "25 per cent of them failed to initiate". "So that's another major concern I have is that 25 per cent of the oxygen systems flying around today on the 787s aren't going to work properly."

He also found damaged parts for the aircraft were being used to construct new aircraft, rather than being thrown out as they are supposed to be. "If we have defective parts, and we don't have any more new parts in stock, then the mechanic took a defective part and put it on airplane because they want to get their job done for that day, not thinking about the long-term ramifications of it," he said. He caught someone taking a scrap part out of the bin, and giving it to the mechanic to put on the airplane. "This part was actually scrapped and thrown in the trash. And he dug it out and said, 'go put it on the airplane.'"

'I wouldn't fly on a Dreamliner': Ex-Boeing quality manager doesn't consider the planes airworthy

Production of the 737 MAX was temporarily suspended a week ago as the aircraft remains grounded with no solution in sight to their problems, not to mention the fact that they already have approx. 400 aircraft stockpiled in a carpark … and no buyers.

It will come as no surprise that Boeing’s profits fell by 95% for the first 9 months of 2019.

Aviation giant Boeing pleaded not guilty Thursday in a Texas court to a fraud charge related to a flight control system that caused two major crashes. The 2018 crash in Indonesia and the 2019 crash in Ethiopia together killed 346 people and led to a 20-month grounding for the Boeing 737 Max jet. Boeing avoided criminal prosecution in January 2021 by accepting a plea deal with the Justice Department. The company agreed to pay $2.5 billion in fines, including $500 million to the families.

An attorney entered a not guilty plea Friday on behalf of onetime powerhouse lawyer Tom Girardi who is charged with defrauding victims of the 2018 Lion Air crash, even as his court-appointed attorney questioned whether Girardi has the capacity to be prosecuted.

His next court date is March 14.

A federal judge in Chicago on Friday entered a not guilty plea for disbarred attorney Tom Girardi, who was charged last month with misappropriating more than $3 million in settlement funds that belonged to families of victims of a 2018 plane crash.

Last edited:

A hearing is set for Aug. 3 to discuss the matter.

Production of the 737 MAX was temporarily suspended a week ago as the aircraft remains grounded with no solution in sight to their problems, not to mention the fact that they already have approx. 400 aircraft stockpiled in a carpark … and no buyers.

It will come as no surprise that Boeing’s profits fell by 95% for the first 9 months of 2019.

Amazing how just 2 or 3 years later to see how much has changed. new 737 MAXs and 787s selling like hot cakes.

The 737 has many advantages and now that they fixed the software/control problem with redundant AOA indicators and reduced the nose up correction factor by 50%, it's probably safer than all those other older 737s, 757s, 767s and 777s out there.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly any airplane. It's the airline carrier that I worry about. BIG difference in quality of training, pilots and maintenance involved (sorry, not all certified pilots are the same). Yes, and both accidents happened on small airlines (Ethiopian Air and Lion Air) with pilots who made (logical) errors even though the training for the MAX was not good and hidden software in the background.

Regardless, it is far safer to fly.

Where did I see it.. .you would have to fly every single day for 10,000 years to have the same likelihood of dying in a commercial aircraft than in a car with normal driving mileage over your lifetime.

Amazing how just 2 or 3 years later to see how much has changed. new 737 MAXs and 787s selling like hot cakes.

The 737 has many advantages and now that they fixed the software/control problem with redundant AOA indicators and reduced the nose up correction factor by 50%, it's probably safer than all those other older 737s, 757s, 767s and 777s out there.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly any airplane. It's the airline carrier that I worry about. BIG difference in quality of training, pilots and maintenance involved (sorry, not all certified pilots are the same). Yes, and both accidents happened on small airlines (Ethiopian Air and Lion Air) with pilots who made (logical) errors even though the training for the MAX was not good and hidden software in the background.

Regardless, it is far safer to fly.

Where did I see it.. .you would have to fly every single day for 10,000 years to have the same likelihood of dying in a commercial aircraft than in a car with normal driving mileage over your lifetime.
I have flown on 737Max multiple times since then and I don't have any concerns.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back