Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Murry Hollow Rd. on the mountain?

Yes, Murray Hollow Road is part of Taylor's Mountain.

TTW1's property was a few miles away from RAW's property that was searched last year by LE. The TTW1 property sits atop a ridge that overlooks the town of Thaxton. TTW1 moved from MD in 2006 and died 4 years later in VA in 2010.

You can see the TTW1 property outlined in yellow.

TTW1_Property_Map.jpg

It turns out the registration process for Maryland sex offender register is a 'voluntary' process. An offender is responsible for registering themselves. If they fail to do so, there is a maximum 3-year imprisonment penalty.

This might explain why some offenders don't show up in the query at all. I doubt those offenders with a long-term or 'lifetime' sentences are going to be highly motivated to self-register.

I also found out that Maryland significantly changed the laws (once in 2010 and again in 2014) regarding the offenders eligibility. Offenders who were convicted prior to 1995 are excluded from having to register at all. This meant about 1/4 of the current offenders were removed from the list in 2014.

It's also helpful to know that an offender is required to list their current residence once they are released from prison. If their address is in a different state, they might not show up when doing queries for counties within Maryland.

I wonder why his former neighbors on the mountain would claim, then, that they do not know the Maryland Welches, and that the Maryland Welches did not own property on the mountain?

The majority of us did not know the Maryland Welches owned land here...I just found out Thursday night that TTW1's land was on my side of the mountain. I have passed that home and property lots of times but didn't know it was his. Friday night I found out what the house looked like and I'm 99% sure I know where it is. If you have been on my TMD page today, and saw the video I posted of Murray Hollow to Welch Hollow, then you caught a glimpse of the house in my video. You have to remember the mountain is huge and nobody but the mail carrier would know every single family on that mountain. So many of our relatives have died and new outsiders have moved in.

Yes, Murray Hollow Road is part of Taylor's Mountain.

TTW1's property was a few miles away from RAW's property that was searched last year by LE. The TTW1 property sits atop a ridge that overlooks the town of Thaxton. TTW1 moved from MD in 2006 and died 4 years later in VA in 2010.

You can see the TTW1 property outlined in yellow.

View attachment 70767

There are 3 roads going up Taylor's Mountain...Murray Hollow Road which is on the western side...Cool Spring Road which is the middle road...and Taylor Mountain Road which is on the eastern side and the road where the search has been taking place. TTW1's land is on the opposite side of the mountain from RAW's land.

RichardLewis, can you or someone else find out if family owns the property TW1 was living on until 2010 or if it has been passed on to others in the family?

RichardLewis, can you or someone else find out if family owns the property TW1 was living on until 2010 or if it has been passed on to others in the family?

Bedford County has a public website for property records. Click here to access it. You'll need to know the property address or owner name to query.

Here is a screen capture for 2800 Murray Hollow Rd. It doesn't appear to have previously owned or currently owned by any direct family members. Bchlvr0810 do any of these names look familiar?

2800_Murray_Hollow.png

There are 3 roads going up Taylor's Mountain...Murray Hollow Road which is on the western side...Cool Spring Road which is the middle road...and Taylor Mountain Road which is on the eastern side and the road where the search has been taking place. TTW1's land is on the opposite side of the mountain from RAW's land.

This is an overview of Taylors Mountain. The point-of-view is taken directly above the town of Thaxton looking towards the northwest. You can see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background with Shenandoah Valley further beyond.

The 3 main roads leading to the mountain are marked in yellow. There is no access from the western backside of the mountain. The blue dots represent about 70 homes total, and the 4 white balloons show property that is owned by someone living (except TTW) in Maryland. There are an additional 200+ properties (not shown) that are either vacant, zoned as agricultural, etc.

Taylor_Mountain_Overview2.jpg

Bedford County has a public website for property records. Click here to access it. You'll need to know the property address or owner name to query.

Here is a screen capture for 2800 Murray Hollow Rd. It doesn't appear to have previously owned or currently owned by any direct family members. Bchlvr0810 do any of these names look familiar?

View attachment 70820

I don't know recognize the other names unless the females are descendants of some of the mountain families. I do know who owned a lot of that land years ago before these names ever purchased it.

This is an overview of Taylors Mountain. The point-of-view is taken directly above the town of Thaxton looking towards the northwest. You can see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background with Shenandoah Valley further beyond.

The 3 main roads leading to the mountain are marked in yellow. There is no access from the western backside of the mountain. The blue dots represent about 70 homes total, and the 4 white balloons show property that is owned by someone living (except TTW) in Maryland. There are an additional 200+ properties (not shown) that are either vacant, zoned as agricultural, etc.

View attachment 70828

There used to be access on the back western side many years ago that came off the mountain and went down to Goose Creek Valley. My granny and her family and others used that old road to go down to visit their families who had moved down to the Goose Creek area in Montvale. My granny's oldest brother's old cabin is still standing down at the bottom of that old road. It is hard to reach now and the old cabin is now on someone else's property. My great grandparents' house where my granny and her other siblings were born is still standing up on the mountain on Murray Hollow side.

There used to be access on the back western side many years ago that came off the mountain and went down to Goose Creek Valley. My granny and her family and others used that old road to go down to visit their families who had moved down to the Goose Creek area in Montvale. My granny's oldest brother's old cabin is still standing down at the bottom of that old road. It is hard to reach now and the old cabin is now on someone else's property. My great grandparents' house where my granny and her other siblings were born is still standing up on the mountain on Murray Hollow side.

Since the police have released little information, the police may or many not have found victims' remains a few feet off the main road.

But the backroads, someplace known by the person of interest, but off the beaten path, would seem like a more common place for criminals to dispose of bodies. Unfortunately, there must be hundreds if not thousands of similar mountains between Wheaton, MD and Taylors Mountain, if someone even headed that way.

A few months ago, a military helicopter was searching from the air, giving me the impression that the police were still looking for a needle in a haystack at increasingly distant mountains.

Curious if people consider those living in the foothills at the base of the mountain part of the mountain culture too? Or does the mystique start where the hills get steep? : )

I think that all evidence currently in the hands of both police departments is being carefully considered. I think that any connection to any other remains, besides either Sheila or Katherine's, is being looked at for possible connections to either LLW or RAW. Why, again, would RAW's wife lie to the grand jury? I think there was definitely a reason.

As cases and evidence go, all the evidence in this case is still relatively new. If LLW was not already incarcerated, I think both police departments would be working harder to arrest him. All in good time; this way, there will be a much more solid case accompanied by more testimony and possibly more missing persons cases solved.

Richard and others:
What do you think of the fact that as of now, LLW has never been charged with murder?

Lloyd Welch, Jr. is incarcerated in a Delaware prison. He isn't going anywhere. He also has been cooporating with investigators, aparently.

IF prosecutors in either Maryland or Virginia were to charge Lloyd with anything at all, they would have to read him his rights and provide him with a lawyer (since he probably could not afford one himself).

A good lawyer would immediately tell Lloyd to refuse to speak further with investigators. He would also request ALL of the MCP files on the Lyon case because he would need them to prepare a good defense for Lloyd. This is known as "discovery".

Another factor to consider is that when Lloyd is charged (with anything) it starts the clock ticking in regard to going to trial with what evidence the prosecutor has at the time. If the trial is delayed, the Defense attorney would move for all charges being dismissed for the legal reason that his client has been denied his constitutional right to a speedy trial.

At this point, a case might be made against Lloyd for being a participant in the girls' abduction. But there might be various mitigating factors (or elements of reasonable doubt). First is that Lloyd is on record as having come forward voluntarily on 1 April 1975 to assist police. Second would be Lloyd's lack of means and absense of any similar misbehavior (at the time). His mental problems then and now would also be considered and would be an issue in a trial.

It is common legal practice to consider all related crimes at the same time and in the same trial. That means that if prosecutors believe that Lloyd MURDERED the girls, they would have to charge him with all the associated and included crimes for that incident - such as (for example) conspiracy, abduction, wrongful imprisonment, torture, molestation, rape, murder, transporting minors across state lines (if such was the case), Illegal burial, etc, etc. Each and every offense charged would have to meet certain "proofs" and evidence would be necessary - including forensic evidence, eyewitness testimony, official records, statements by Lloyd, etc.

There is the consideration of jurisdiction. Some crimes might have been committed in one county, some in another, some in one state, some in another. If prosecutors are not ready to go to court, they are not going to charge Lloyd with anything yet.

It would also seem that investigators and prosecutors are looking at other potential suspects and witnesses. They have named Richard Welch a Person of Interest and that came as a result of interviews they had with Lloyd. It is possible that they consider Lloyd only a witness or lesser player in what they believe happened to the girls.

It would also seem that investigators and prosecutors are looking at other potential suspects and witnesses. They have named Richard Welch a Person of Interest and that came as a result of interviews they had with Lloyd. It is possible that they consider Lloyd only a witness or lesser player in what they believe happened to the girls.

Good points about the speedy trial, which is in the Constitution, since the British used to throw people in jail for a long time without a trial. I believe a defendant has a right to a trial in 90 days; virtually all long trials are the result of defense delays where the case is bad for the defense and they need more time to prepare (hope for a miracle).

The one point that is somewhat unclear is that we don't know how Richard became a person of interest, AT FIRST. One way RW could have become a person of interest is that the half dozen girls described someone looking like him trying to pull them to a parking lot.

Another way RW could have become a person of interest is that he was identified as someone Lloyd would and could seek help from, since he was working nearby. Many of us have speculated last year, that if Lloyd was guilty, he might have had help before or after the fact, knowingly or unknowing.

The third way that Richard and Thomas could have become a person of interest would have been if Lloyd told his "car ride story" with Thomas and his uncle BEFORE Lloyd was announced as a person of interest. If this was the way that Richard became a person of interest; it sounds like another police screw-up. If police heard the car-ride-story and thought there was any chance of it being true since even Lloyd may tell the truth once in a while, even I know it's Detective 101 to separate and question the witnesses/guilty before they can get their stories straight and catch them off guard as soon as possible.

The last way, that we know of, that Richard could have become a person of interest is by meeting with Thomas on the day Lloyd was announced as a person of interest, either to get their stories straight (not so innocent) or just talk about the stress of news announcement (innocent). After the conversation, the police asked the three parties and reported conflicting accounts.

In any case, one of the above or some thing else happened, and Lloyd did tell his car-ride-story putting the blame on his uncle. This story could be true, an attempt to deflect blame, or even the result of an overly aggressive police interrogation, where the police kept asking Lloyd, how are Tom and your uncle involved; it would really be pushing the ethics of a deceptive police investigation if the police were putting way to much pressure to get the parties to turn on each other, fine if they are guilty, not so fine if they are not guilty.

I gave up applying logic to Lloyd a long time ago, but he has been in jail for how long and has not figured out on his own without a lawyer or being read his rights; Don't talk to the police if you are guilty. For all we know, Lloyd was read his rights and said, "I'm innocent and don't need a lawyer," either because he is innocent or is just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74