Looking for info on how to research murders

I’m also new to this, but maybe start by getting as much information as you can about the case... Search for news articles (a local library may have copies of print versions if it’s an older case) and court records... read through those... see if there is any footage of the trial and whether that could be requested, maybe through a public records request. You can also try to make a public records request with the police office that investigated the case for the case files and information associated with that case. If you find and read appellate court decisions, you could try to find out who the person who was convicted of the murder’s appellate attorney was. Or you could see if the jail the convicted individual is at has an electronic communication system, and you could email the person directly and tell him what information you know or have heard, and offer to talk to his attorney. If you find his attorney’s information, you could also reach out to the attorney’s office directly and explain that you have information that you think could help free a client he represented (and give the name). If his previous attorney isn’t interested in helping the person further, if you communicate with the defendant directly, you could offer to help reach out to like the state’s public defender office, or a law school clinic, or a innocence project group to see if they would help with his/her case.

A lot may depend on how old the case is, and whether the convicted defendant has exhausted his (regular) appeals. But I hope that gives you some ideas. I’d love to hear more about what case you are referring to specifically.

Hello all
I’m totally knew to this and i wanted to source some advice

Let’s for example there was a killing in a smaill rural location, and the wrong person was sent you jail for the murder.

It’s common knowledge in the village that the murderer got away with the crime

Can anyone give me advice on how i can attempt to approach solving this miss carriage of justice

Thanks

Possibly the state's Attorney General's office?

There is a mechanism for oversight/review of local law enforcement in my state, anyway.

JMHO YMMV

I'm trying to use Murder Accountability Project but I keep finding evidence that the records are incorrect. In one instance the victim's race was misidentified. Now I've discovered four entries listed as unsolved that were most definitely solved long ago. This is disheartening. I would like this to be a functional tool but if I can't trust it then it's largely useless.

If anyone out there can help me by telling me if there is a way to research murders in a certain time period and place I would greatly appreciate it. And if there is a way can I get enough info to see if they may link up? Please let me know I have tried to start convos on this and no response so I assume that is not the way.
I thank you in advance for any help.

There's a map of missing/murdered women in the USA somewhere. I haven't read the discussion yet, so don't know whether it has been linked.

Are you looking for someone in particular, looking for patterns, looking at a specific area in a specific time frame? What's the context?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back