Lori Ruff Identified as Kimberly McLean of PA

Just a couple thoughts:

<modsnip>

If Kimberly attended a high school with the word "Bishop" in the name, it was likely a Catholic high school. Fits with the Cassidy surname.

She chose a range of Baptist churches as an adult. Why? Was she baptized as an adult, join somehow without immersion baptism? Endlessly curious, I said.

:seeya:

So am I! In fact, I think it would make a great thread topic. If anyone would like to kick one off -- perhaps do a little research on the subject to share with the rest of us -- I know the effort would be appreciated.

Maybe Tricia could invite Joe Velling onto TCR.

Awesome that there's going to be a FOX news article!

Maybe she just wanted to reinvent herself? When I was 18 I constantly wanted to change my name, move away, and become a whole new person "living off the radar" (even though there's nothing wrong with my family).

I have thought this as well!

This, along wiittth ..
Perhaps she started out wanting to reinvent herself, and did. She loved her new life, her new identity and freedom, UNTIL.. some where along the line ( if she did indeed suffer from " some " kind of mental issue ) she broke down as BST thinking " what have I done? " Maybe it clicked with her the repercussions of STEALING a dead CHILDS identity, hence LEK was born. By then, in her mind, it was too late. Maybe she was so paranoid/scared about LE or anyone being " on to her " about what she had done ( prison time, being humiliated, etc. ) she felt as though even if she wanted to phone home, there was just NO way she ever could.

Just another opinion on the case:)

Wonder if this ability to locate family of a DNA donor could be used to locate unidentified criminals? .

There have been a number of cases in the UK where the DNA of an unknown criminal has been family matched with a known person on the police's DNA database and thus identified. However for reasons relating to the Data Protection Act 1998 it's much more difficult legally using civilian/genealogical databases for identifying sources of DNA.

Just a couple thoughts:

If Kimberly attended a high school with the word "Bishop" in the name, it was likely a Catholic high school. Fits with the Cassidy surname.

She chose a range of Baptist churches as an adult. Why? Was she baptized as an adult, join somehow without immersion baptism? Endlessly curious, I said.

RSBM:

A LOT of families send their kids to Catholic schools here (Philly) both in the city and surrounding suburbs. And more of them are non-Catholic than are. No matter what your religion is, if any. The Catholic schools here are just preferred over public school for those who can afford it. And there are TONS to choose from.

I have thought this as well!

This, along wiittth ..
Perhaps she started out wanting to reinvent herself, and did. She loved her new life, her new identity and freedom, UNTIL.. some where along the line ( if she did indeed suffer from " some " kind of mental issue ) she broke down as BST thinking " what have I done? " Maybe it clicked with her the repercussions of STEALING a dead CHILDS identity, hence LEK was born. By then, in her mind, it was too late. Maybe she was so paranoid/scared about LE or anyone being " on to her " about what she had done ( prison time, being humiliated, etc. ) she felt as though even if she wanted to phone home, there was just NO way she ever could.

Just another opinion on the case:)

That's exactly what I thought too...she was too far into it and couldn't get out~~If she did go back to her family in PA, how the heck would she explain to the ex-hubby and his family that she was not really LEK~~but in fact KM. That would just unravel everything and the possibility of jail time for stealing someone's identity. Divorce is one thing, but having a 2 year old complicated her situation and brought her to a whole new level in her fake life. IMOO

Just a couple thoughts:

<modsnip>

You are right. It's a Private Catholic school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_McDevitt_High_School_(Wyncote,_Pennsylvania)
So the Baptist faith was probably of her own choosing and not for a familiar connection with home. I've always said I would like to her her testimony. Southern Baptists often share how they came to faith when they are baptized or even just to join a new church. Lori went to a lot of different churches and none of them were Catholic.

You are right. It's a Private Catholic school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_McDevitt_High_School_(Wyncote,_Pennsylvania)
So the Baptist faith was probably of her own choosing and not for a familiar connection with home. I've always said I would like to her her testimony. Southern Baptists often share how they came to faith when they are baptized or even just to join a new church. Lori went to a lot of different churches and none of them were Catholic.

I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school, I now identify myself as Non-Denominational Christian.

The birthday I found listed the sister being born just one month before Lori, which obviously can't be right.

I found the same thing and wondered if maybe they got her DOB wrong in the article. I can't find any records with Kim's DOB.

Anyone notice how similar sounding the two last names are?

C-A-S-S-I-D-Y and K-E-N-N-E-D-Y

Say it to yourself a few times.

Anyone notice how similar sounding the two last names are?

C-A-S-S-I-D-Y and K-E-N-N-E-D-Y

Say it to yourself a few times.

Yes but i also think Kennedy is associated with wealth and power.. especially back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But again, the private Catholic high schools in this area, including this one, admit all faiths and they do not have to practice. Not saying her family didn't have Irish Catholic roots, but you cannot make ANY assumptions on religion BC someone went or goes to a private Catholic school here. Does not apply. It's more about education and status. In fact, if you look at the township address I think she lived in at that time, it makes perfect sense.

But again, the private Catholic high schools in this area, including this one, admit all faiths and they do not have to practice. Not saying her family didn't have Irish Catholic roots, but you cannot make ANY assumptions on religion BC someone went or goes to a private Catholic school here. Does not apply. It's more about education and status. In fact, if you look at the township address I think she lived in at that time, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks! Since you are from the area, do you know if there were Southern Baptist churches there in the 1980's? I realize the SBC is everywhere today but I don't know about Philly in the 1980's.

The takeaway from this (and Grateful Doe, Cali and Sharon Marshall), is that the most mundane explanation is almost always the right one. I know everyone is probably bored of me saying this, but its true.

Yep! Agreed.

I would like to know if her family has any history with "tea parties". So glad she has a name and may her soul rest in etermal
peace.

I hate to pile on the bandwagon of untreated mental health issues, but collectively the puzzle starts to fit. Yes, one or two peices can easily be explained by individual experience and circumstance, but all the stuff together? She was troubled. Whether something happened to trigger it (divorce, potential abuse, feeling neglected) or it was an organic origin- that's a whole other discussion. She was not a happy, well balanced person at any point. I can't get past how happy and hopeful she looked in her first Idaho ID. Almost triumphant. It is so sad that there was seemingly no one at any point that she felt close enough with to confide in and get some help.

Yes but i also think Kennedy is associated with wealth and power.. especially back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah! I KNEW I remembered a neighborhood with Kennedy in the name, in Wyncote! It is Kennedy House, very near Bishop McDevitt HS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back