Los Angeles fire worsens, 10,000 homes threatened

The station fire doubled in size over night. This is not typical fire behavior; usually the burning slows down during the nightime hours. The fact that this fire burned the same in the night as it did in the afternoon is huge. The temps today are going to be well into the 100's out there and this thing is 5% contained and out fo control.
I can see smoke from the Yucaipa fire which is increasing in size and is 0% contained.

www.kfi640.com is also doing all day coverage.

Hallo JBean and All,

We live just north of the fire. Smoke filled the air for miles, brown air, thick, visibility, glow of sun through the smoke made the outside light a color or orange brown. Ash rained down on us all day Saturday, light a light snow storm, had to cover our mouths/noses when outside. By Sunday morning the driveways and patios looked like someone had dumped an ashtray on us. Wind had switched for a good part of the day, so not the ash storm. Then in the evening, wind switched again and smoke started moving our way again.

Attached photos are of the sky last night at our house.

Attachments

• FireEast083009.jpg
    FireEast083009.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 20
  • FireWSWest083009.jpg
    FireWSWest083009.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19
  • FireSEast083009.jpg
    FireSEast083009.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 19
Hallo JBean and All,

We live just north of the fire. Smoke filled the air for miles, brown air, thick, visibility, glow of sun through the smoke made the outside light a color or orange brown. Ash rained down on us all day Saturday, light a light snow storm, had to cover our mouths/noses when outside. By Sunday morning the driveways and patios looked like someone had dumped an ashtray on us. Wind had switched for a good part of the day, so not the ash storm. Then in the evening, wind switched again and smoke started moving our way again.

Attached photos are of the sky last night at our house.
Be careful Wrinkles :blowkiss:.
I used to live in Altadena and when the foothills behind my house would burn, we could see them very well and the ashes would rain on our cars and the air made breathing difficult.
The San Diego fire a few years ago was the worst I have ever seen. I had 2 sons living down there at the time and they were perfectly content to stay in their apt and play video games while I was sick with worry. Their schools were closed so they were just taking advatntage of the time off. Of course I had to drive down and bring them supplies as I was sure they were going to just sit in there and suffocate.It was awful just awful. The 5 fwy was on fire but I went right through it to get down to SD before the hwys were shut down.
The air is more dangerous than the fire in some cases. BE CAREFUL!

This is what it looked like at 1:30am:

Fire_MtWilson.jpg

I am so thankful that the fire was not as close as it looked. xox

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you near the fires. Praying for rain to help put the fires out.

My thoughts and prayers are with all near the fires. And GB those who have lost their homes.

There are 5 people that ignored the mandatory evacuatio order and are now stuck and surrounded by fire. Prayers for them because the firefighters cannot help them.
Niner what is happening with your brother? The fire is defintely in sunland so I was just thinking about you.

Wildfire makes menacing advance near Los Angeles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wildfires
LOS ANGELES – A deadly wildfire that has blackened a wide swath of tinder-dry forest around Los Angeles made another menacing advance Monday, surging toward thousands of suburban homes and a vital mountaintop broadcasting complex while trapping five people inside a smoky canyon.

I'm watching the presser and just in a few minutes I've watched the flames move down a mountain into a community. It was scary fast.

I'm unable to direct link sorry.

http://cbs2.com/

Oh gosh one of the firefighters that was killed is expecting his first child in 3 weeks.

My mom who lives in La Crescenta went under mandatory evacuation today. This is amazing since in the 41 years we have lived in that house, and with all of the fires in those mountains, she has never had to evacuate -- came very close though in 1975. Many friends and families of friends are affected by this fire.

My mom who lives in La Crescenta went under mandatory evacuation today. This is amazing since in the 41 years we have lived in that house, and with all of the fires in those mountains, she has never had to evacuate -- came very close though in 1975. Many friends and families of friends are affected by this fire.

This has the potential to be the biggest fire in LA county in 100 years. This is particularly noteworthy because this is not related to a Santa Ana event. there are no winds and this is just vegetation burning. It is hot and dry.The area your mom is in has not burned in along time and as you know that is not a good situation.
The Incident Commander says the information that this will be contained by 9-9 is from the desk of "Miss information" The buck stops with him, he has the most accurate info and this will not be contained anytime before 9-15.

They have determined there is arson involved with the Yucaipa and Pendleton Fires.

I hope everything works out for your mom Cypros. Did she have to go to a shelter? or is she with friends or family?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/story?id=8451478

"...five people who refused to evacuate the spreading California wildfires cannot be rescued and will have to wait out the flames, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said that on Monday the four men and a woman called for help because they were unable to leave a ranch in Gold Canyon. Just a day earlier they refused to leave the Angeles National Forest."

My first reaction was to just leave them, but knowing 5 people might die w/o help, well, I've softened. I think a rescue attempt should be made.

This has the potential to be the biggest fire in LA county in 100 years. This is particularly noteworthy because this is not related to a Santa Ana event. there are no winds and this is just vegetation burning. It is hot and dry.The area your mom is in has not burned in along time and as you know that is not a good situation.
The Incident Commander says the information that this will be contained by 9-9 is from the desk of "Miss information" The buck stops with him, he has the most accurate info and this will not be contained anytime before 9-15.

They have determined there is arson involved with the Yucaipa and Pendleton Fires.

I hope everything works out for your mom Cypros. Did she have to go to a shelter? or is she with friends or family?

It is amazing that the Santa Ana winds are not a force in this. I read somewhere that some of this area has not burned in 40-50 years. With the extreme heat and drought the San Gabriel mountains are just a pile of fuel.

I can't imagine the fire continuing for another two weeks. People are already exhausted and drained of energy. I feel for the firefighters.

My mom is staying with close family friends down the hill in Glendale. She went back home this afternoon to check on things but then was told to leave for the mandatory evacuation. She got halfway down the hill and realized that she had left her computer in the rush. She drove back up as far as she could to the road blocks (one block below her street) and then walked, sneaking past some cops and going through a neighbors yard, climbing over a 12 foot wall (my mom is 68), grabbed the computer and snuck back to her car. LOL!

It is amazing that the Santa Ana winds are not a force in this. I read somewhere that some of this area has not burned in 40-50 years. With the extreme heat and drought the San Gabriel mountains are just a pile of fuel.

I can't imagine the fire continuing for another two weeks. People are already exhausted and drained of energy. I feel for the firefighters.

My mom is staying with close family friends down the hill in Glendale. She went back home this afternoon to check on things but then was told to leave for the mandatory evacuation. She got halfway down the hill and realized that she had left her computer in the rush. She drove back up as far as she could to the road blocks (one block below her street) and then walked, sneaking past some cops and going through a neighbors yard, climbing over a 12 foot wall (my mom is 68), grabbed the computer and snuck back to her car. LOL!
Oh well aren't you a chip off the old block. I think you might do something similar.
I went to CSULA and I lived and worked in Glendale, Pasadena,Eagle Rock and Altadena during that time. I am glad she has people in nearby Glendale to stay with. i used to work at the Galleria about 100 years ago :)

There is some real concern about what our fire season may bring because it hasn't even started yet.

God bless your mom!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/story?id=8451478

"...five people who refused to evacuate the spreading California wildfires cannot be rescued and will have to wait out the flames, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said that on Monday the four men and a woman called for help because they were unable to leave a ranch in Gold Canyon. Just a day earlier they refused to leave the Angeles National Forest."

My first reaction was to just leave them, but knowing 5 people might die w/o help, well, I've softened. I think a rescue attempt should be made.
These people have been the big story all day. The police department wanted to go in and get them, but the fire dept overruled it and would not let them go in.
If things ease up, they will try but....
When people refuse to go, the FD always take their names for ID purposes when they come back to get their bodies. that's what they tell these people, but many choose to stay anyway.
People when they tell yo to go..GO!

Be careful Wrinkles :blowkiss:.
I used to live in Altadena and when the foothills behind my house would burn, we could see them very well and the ashes would rain on our cars and the air made breathing difficult.
The San Diego fire a few years ago was the worst I have ever seen. I had 2 sons living down there at the time and they were perfectly content to stay in their apt and play video games while I was sick with worry. Their schools were closed so they were just taking advatntage of the time off. Of course I had to drive down and bring them supplies as I was sure they were going to just sit in there and suffocate.It was awful just awful. The 5 fwy was on fire but I went right through it to get down to SD before the hwys were shut down.
The air is more dangerous than the fire in some cases. BE CAREFUL!

No highway on fire was going stand a chance against your motherly instincts Bean!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back