Luka Magotta AKA Eric Newman Trial, Week beginning Oct 27, 2014 - Trial Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my brother emailed me in FEBRUARY with a video he made of a snake eating a kitten, telling me that he did it for me - I would certainly not be attempting to have a normal conversation with him via Skype in MARCH.

Really?! The skype convo came after?? Very strange :s

Wow. He emailed his sister about the kittens?! And asked her how she felt being the sister of a murderer just before he got arrested?

Hm... sister of a murderer... the use of Homolka's sister's address as a return address. Interesting.

This witness... he seems more professional than the last. I still disagree with the psychosis thing, but so far, it looks like this doctor actually took time and put thought into his conclusion. I do not think what Magnotta's sister said (about the emails) really fits with that, though.

Dr Allard did say she tried to speak to his family but they refused (except for his dad). His mum came to visit him in prison at first iirc buy then stopped / I think they had another falling out and have cut him off completely. Jmo.

I think this psychiatrist seems more honest than Allard though... He isn't omitting stuff that makes LM look bad. Do you think the defence got Allard in because they didn't like what Watts' report said? But then decided to call him anyway?

I am not entirely sure WHY the defence even bothered with Allard. She painted the picture of a manipulative liar, NOT of a severely mentally ill man. IMO, it looked like she had absolutely no idea how or why she came to the conclusion that he must have had a psychotic break during the murder. I haven't formed too much of an opinion on Dr. Watts yet, other than he seems more professionl and honest (so far). I guess we will see if he pulls the same "I don't know. Must have been the psychosis" thing Allard did.

Wow. He emailed his sister about the kittens?! And asked her how she felt being the sister of a murderer just before he got arrested?

He's like a little kid smearing poop on the walls because he's so desperate for attention from his parents.

I hope the Crown will be calling his sister to the stand. JMO

I believe we heard at the beginning that none of his family would testify other than his father and they weren't even sure if he'd make it because of his illness. There must be a reason for this? I don't think they can subpoena out of jurisdiction witnesses? Not sure. I'm sure Lori Holmoka would rather not have testified?

Maybe they knew the sister would be a hostile witness? I don't think she's going to help the Crown sentence her brother to life in prison. And I don't think she wanted to be cross examined either. Hence the testimony via a doctor. Very clever of the defense to get all this testimony in without the ability to cross anyone to see if they're at all credible.

LM's sister doesn't indicate that they lived such a bad life in her interview with Watts however, although she does admit that LM was different and was bullied and tormented because of it. I'm sure a lot of gay men went through the same in their childhoods in the 80's/90's. It was still not as accepted then as it is now. And LM was probably exaggerating a lot of things for attention. Was the family dysfunctional? Sounds like it, but then we only have LM's word for everything. The sister still seems to be close with the mother and grandmother. And did I read somewhere that the younger brother may be incarcerated?

So who knows if any of the things LM has said about his childhood are true? How could anyone possibly know for sure? Obviously the family isn't talking. And if those stories get him a NCR verdict then why would the family show him up to be a liar? Catch 22 really.

MOO

And there's the trailer info coming in with this report...

According to forensic psychiatrist Joel Watts, who assessed Mr. Magnotta over 40 hours of interviews and who concludes he was psychotic at the time of the May 25, 2012 killing, he asked him “about online postings that appeared on the Internet in the weeks prior to the killing, allegedly promoting the video of Mr. Lin’s death.”

To this, Dr. Watts said, Mr. Magnotta replied, “I have been trying to make sense of it. I hope it was not me. I don’t remember doing it, it feels weird.”

Though the information is in Dr. Watts’ report, he hasn’t yet been asked about it at trial.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...tta-likely-bragged-of-plans-to-video-a-death/

MOO

Really? "I don't remember doing it and I hope it was not me?" (who posted the trailer and all the comments hyping the movie)seriously? He's a piece of work all right. :notgood:

I wonder if the Crown can start pulling in things like his videos and online postings after the defense is finished bringing it all in and minimizing it. I wonder if all of what we think is missing is coming in the rebuttal. Because the defense is opening A LOT of doors here for them.

Apparently LM wrote a blog article in August 2010 saying that he wanted to work for the Canadian Security and Intelligence Services. Bit odd for someone so paranoid about the government isn't it!
http://magnottafiles.blogspot.com/p/lukas-web.html

So how much of the activity noted in these extensive blogs about LM's online life made it into the hands of the psychiatrists the defense sent to analyse him? And without all this information, which spans years prior to him supposedly "going off his meds" how can they make an assessment? How do you explain this behavior when he's being treated apparently?

MOO

Really? "I don't remember doing it and I hope it was not me?" (who posted the trailer and all the comments hyping the movie)seriously? He's a piece of work all right. :notgood:

UGH!! Such twaddle. I can't believe his nerve :gaah:

So glad we're finally getting to this subject though.

UGH!! Such twaddle. I can't believe his nerve :gaah:

So glad we're finally getting to this subject though.

Twaddle :giggle:

It sounds more like, "it wasn't me and you can't prove it, unless you can, and then I really can't explain it. It's that "weird feeling" thing again.

I wonder if Dr. Watts has a medical term for the "weird feeling" defense of all his actions pertaining to this murder? :waitasec:

But yes, I think this might be the first time the subject of the trailer is brought up.

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 2m 2 minutes ago
Started speaking again in late 2011. Mom thought #Magnotta was lying about Russia,suspected he was living in Montreal.

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 2m 2 minutes ago
Mom suspected #Magnotta made the cat killing video despite his denials.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons he dislikes her so much - she knows him too well and doesn't fall for his stories.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons he dislikes her so much - she knows him too well and doesn't fall for his stories.

You could be very correct with that thought. She didn't coddle or let him get away with things? She also had the nerve to have two other children after him to take the attention away from him.

But the home schooling thing seems like she really did/does have personality disorders of her own, especially OCD. It doesn't appear as though she wanted to be supermom and actually teach her children, she just didn't want them at school with all the germs. And who knows about the stepfather? If it's true and she knew it and stayed with him, shipping LM off to his father, then he really does have a reason to resent her. Although he struggles with a love/hate relationship for sure. Why would he sent her a Mother's Day card while simultaneously planning a snuff film? And why would he tell her he was married (to a woman) and living in Russia? Did she have an issue with his sexuality?

Yep...I can't see how anyone can truly do a proper assessment on LM without all the facts. And following this case has unfortunately really soured me on the mental health system and some of the people working in it.

MOO

You could be very correct with that thought. She didn't coddle or let him get away with things? She also had the nerve to have two other children after him to take the attention away from him.

But the home schooling thing seems like she really did/does have personality disorders of her own, especially OCD. It doesn't appear as though she wanted to be supermom and actually teach her children, she just didn't want them at school with all the germs. And who knows about the stepfather? If it's true and she knew it and stayed with him, shipping LM off to his father, then he really does have a reason to resent her. Although he struggles with a love/hate relationship for sure. Why would he sent her a Mother's Day card while simultaneously planning a snuff film? And why would he tell her he was married (to a woman) and living in Russia? Did she have an issue with his sexuality?

Yep...I can't see how anyone can truly do a proper assessment on LM without all the facts. And following this case has unfortunately really soured me on the mental health system and some of the people working in it.

MOO

BBM

About the stepfather story, he says he was both physically and sexually abused by him. I find it very odd he claims to have had sexual contact with BOTH of his parents' partners. I was thinking these could possibly have been stories/exaggerations made in attempt to destroy those relationships and focus his parents' attention back on him.

I hate to be so suspicious, but I can't help it with LM. One I could believe, but BOTH step-parents? I'm raising an eyebrow.

It's a shame that Dr. Watts decided not to talk to the mother more. It seems she had reasons to distrust him, but we don't know what they are.

I kind of do believe he was molested by at least one of his step parents. Unfortunately, that sort of thing is way too common to completely dismiss. Was it BOTH? I don't know. His experience with one could have "inspired" him to make up a story about the other. Or, perhaps he BELIEVES the abuse happened even if it didn't.
It is really hard to say with this guy. I just think that these particular claims are amongst the few that may be based on truth (to some extent).

BBM

About the stepfather story, he says he was both physically and sexually abused by him. I find it very odd he claims to have had sexual contact with BOTH of his parents' partners. I was thinking these could possibly have been stories/exaggerations made in attempt to destroy those relationships and focus his parents' attention back on him.

I hate to be so suspicious, but I can't help it with LM. One I could believe, but BOTH step-parents? I'm raising an eyebrow.

It's a shame that Dr. Watts decided not to talk to the mother more. It seems she had reasons to distrust him, but we don't know what they are.

Like I said, neither of these doctors made any attempt to verify his stories. Dr. Watts could have asked the mother point blank about LM's accusations. He didn't, which tells me he didn't want to know or to put her likely denial in his report. I don't trust either of these doctors or their intentions.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member