Still Missing MA - Ana Walshe, 39, allegedly left home, may have been dismembered, Cohasset, Jan 2023 *husband indicted* #4

I continue to consider whether the prosecution will have a harder time winning a homicide case than now believed unless it can come up with some direct evidence of what actually occurred in the basement that night and/or evidence suggesting planning (e.g., additional early google searches, a life insurance policy, etc.) or prior threats to AW (e.g., physical/emotional abuse). I have only read about two additional pieces of evidence this week. One is that BW may have bought a Tyvek suit prior to Jan. 1st (in addition to the one he bought after Jan. 1st) and the other is that he had previously googled about the best divorce state for men. The first could be useful to the prosecution, but the second seems pretty weak in and of itself. I understand that there is other forensic evidence that is still being tested.

I also read the article about Thomas DiBiase, the self-styled “No Body Guy” who wrote a book with details of successful murder prosecutions where the victim’s body was not found. I wonder if in the majority of the prosecutions in the book the defense’s position was that the defendant had nothing to do with any harm to the victim and therefore had nothing to do with the disappearance of the victim. If so, in these cases, the jury (and the defense) may have been presented with a binary choice: either the defendant was involved with killing the victim AND then disposing of the body or the defendant was involved with neither. In these cases, if the defendant was found guilty, the jury presumably decided based primarily on circumstantial evidence that there was no other logical explanation for the victim’s disappearance other than the accused killing and disposing of the victim. Based upon current disclosed evidence, does the BW case present a defense that was unavailable in these other cases either because it did not fit the facts or it strained credulity? Could BW freely admit (through his defense lawyer, not by testifying) disposing of AW’s body and thereby pleading guilty to any corpse-related charges, but deny killing or harming her that night? The burden, as we know, is on the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he killed her. In this case, the possible time, place and means of harm to AW are very constrained and therefor the prosecution’s ability to rely on the jury’s imagination is also limited compared to many of the other cases.

Could the defense go something like this: BW admittedly was a troubled person who had his run ins with the law, but there is no history of violence on his part. He was a good father to his three children, in fact, his was solely responsible for caring for them for the past number of months. Since AW must have been a good mother whose children’s welfare was foremost in her mind (leaving aside her weekly absence), she would not have left the children with him if he wasn’t a gentle and caring father. He may not have been happy with his wife leading her own life five days a week in DC, and he might have suspected disloyalty on her part, but there is no evidence of complaints or threats to AW based upon her absence from the household. On the night of her disappearance, all seemed well in the household: there was a nice note from AW, their friend who visited that night reported nothing amiss or unusual about the behavior of AW or BW. Locals who interacted with BW regularly might say that he was always a bit weird, but report nothing unusual about BW’s recent behavior. There is no evidence of infidelity on his part. BW was dependent on AW as she had a job and he didn’t, and he was restricted based on his previous conviction. While he googled about divorce, he might have been concerned about alimony and child support if he thought that she was contemplating dumping him. Besides, researching divorce is not a crime and does not imply that a husband is thinking about murdering his wife. Yes, there was a purchase of killing “supplies” after AW died. There was blood all over the place. There were trips to dispose of the body. Etc., etc. etc. But we already admitted responsibility for all of that. But you cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt how AW died or that she died as a result of actions of the defendant.

Are there other facts that could be developed to support the theory of an AW accident (e.g., steep stairway, dimly lit basement, AW drinking that night, etc.)? Could BW’s previous mental health issues be used to support the theory of irrational panic and disposal of her body to avoid being wrongfully charged?

<modsnip - no link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I continue to consider whether the prosecution will have a harder time winning a homicide case than now believed unless it can come up with some direct evidence of what actually occurred in the basement that night and/or evidence suggesting planning (e.g., additional early google searches, a life insurance policy, etc.) or prior threats to AW (e.g., physical/emotional abuse). I have only read about two additional pieces of evidence this week. One is that BW may have bought a Tyvek suit prior to Jan. 1st (in addition to the one he bought after Jan. 1st) and the other is that he had previously googled about the best divorce state for men. The first could be useful to the prosecution, but the second seems pretty weak in and of itself. I understand that there is other forensic evidence that is still being tested.

I also read the article about Thomas DiBiase, the self-styled “No Body Guy” who wrote a book with details of successful murder prosecutions where the victim’s body was not found. I wonder if in the majority of the prosecutions in the book the defense’s position was that the defendant had nothing to do with any harm to the victim and therefore had nothing to do with the disappearance of the victim. If so, in these cases, the jury (and the defense) may have been presented with a binary choice: either the defendant was involved with killing the victim AND then disposing of the body or the defendant was involved with neither. In these cases, if the defendant was found guilty, the jury presumably decided based primarily on circumstantial evidence that there was no other logical explanation for the victim’s disappearance other than the accused killing and disposing of the victim. Based upon current disclosed evidence, does the BW case present a defense that was unavailable in these other cases either because it did not fit the facts or it strained credulity? Could BW freely admit (through his defense lawyer, not by testifying) disposing of AW’s body and thereby pleading guilty to any corpse-related charges, but deny killing or harming her that night? The burden, as we know, is on the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he killed her. In this case, the possible time, place and means of harm to AW are very constrained and therefor the prosecution’s ability to rely on the jury’s imagination is also limited compared to many of the other cases.

Could the defense go something like this: BW admittedly was a troubled person who had his run ins with the law, but there is no history of violence on his part.
BW threatened Chinese security guards on an overseas trip.

Other than that this defense you posted sounds plausible to me.

Last edited:
^^rsbm

On Jan 8, BW was taken into custody and charged with misleading a police investigation, not murder. The District attorney’s office said BW was supposed to be on house arrest because of pending sentencing in fed court. Instead, BW was caught on surveillance video at Home Depot buying mops, buckets, tarps, and tape before Ana’s employer reported her missing to the police.

On Jan 18, BW appeared in court to face new charges including murder and improper transport of a body. Prosecutors stated that they have evidence showing that the Cohasset mother was dismembered and discarded by her husband.

To be clear, BW was not charged with the murder of AW solely based on google internet searches but because authorities have evidence that Ana was fatally attacked by her husband and from the evidence left behind including blood, and human tissue connected to AW through DNA, she could not survive her injuries.

Are there other facts that could be developed to support the theory of an AW accident (e.g., steep stairway, dimly lit basement, AW drinking that night, etc.)? Could BW’s previous mental health issues be used to support the theory of irrational panic and disposal of her body to avoid being wrongfully charged?
This may be his best shot of getting out of this, but it's still a tough argument for the defense to make.

I think any jury will want to hear from directly from BW: how he found her already deceased, why he didn't call 911, why he told the lies that he did, and so on. He'll have to be awfully convincing on the stand. The thought of dismembering your wife of seven years to avoid some potentially difficult questions from the cops just isn't going to sit right with most people.

He'll also have to stand up under cross-examination, which will be withering. Can he keep his story straight and not slip up on the details?

I think a jury is going to be very skeptical of his testimony and for him to pull this off, he'd have to turn the charisma that he supposedly has up to 100.

When I did a Google search on Ana Walshe, a Serbian news source written in English came up. It made a bold claim that I cannot back up with any US media sources. It was a top result though.

Last edited:
When I did a Google search on Ana Walshe Cohassett, a Serbian news source written in English language came up. It made a bold claim that I cannot back up with any US media sources. It was a top result though.
Do you have that link? I would be curious. I think they go by US news sources and interviews in Serbia.

Is there a chance her body is in pieces in those trash bags and the information is being withheld? I hate typing that...

It was mentioned by the prosecutor that they believe unfortunately she may have been discarded in Abington, and that trash was incinerated before the police could get to it.

This may be his best shot of getting out of this, but it's still a tough argument for the defense to make.

I think any jury will want to hear from directly from BW: how he found her already deceased, why he didn't call 911, why he told the lies that he did, and so on. He'll have to be awfully convincing on the stand. The thought of dismembering your wife of seven years to avoid some potentially difficult questions from the cops just isn't going to sit right with most people.

He'll also have to stand up under cross-examination, which will be withering. Can he keep his story straight and not slip up on the details?

I think a jury is going to be very skeptical of his testimony and for him to pull this off, he'd have to turn the charisma that he supposedly has up to 100.
I'm sorry, but there is no way on earth the jury is going to buy "She fell down the stairs so I took my son with me to Home Depot to get a hacksaw..." Just NO. :( :mad: MOO

Not likely lol, and he wont testify. IMO

It would be nice if these trash sites had a way of detecting human body parts. I know our city trash service knows when we have put a plastic water bottle in with our compost. Thanks to a camera.
Yes!!

Today was collection day and I was shocked and dismayed to see my tote returned to me with the sticker of shame -- allegations a plastic bag found inside my grey tote. o_O

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back