MA MA - Beryl Atherton, 47, Marblehead, 27 Nov 1950

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by PFF, May 3, 2010.

1. PFF

PFF New Member

YEars ago I read "Yankee" magazine-in a 1970's issue-cant remember- there was a article on a New England cold case murder-in 1950's an unmarried middle aged school teacher was murdered--no suspect is known.

Just thought I's mention this for the record:twocents:

2. Loading...

3. hmg

hmg New Member

4. hmg

hmg New Member

5. PFF

PFF New Member

Thanks for article!

6. hmg

hmg New Member

No problem, I really enjoyed reading it actually. My husband's family has lived in that area for many years and most of them are teachers and yet I had never heard that story. What a bizarre story. I think she must have had a secret lover or something.

7. Stella

Stella Member

Very interesting mystery. The secret lover angle was my first thought as well.

8. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

My thought when I was reading the article was, somebody killed her to keep her from telling something she knew. From the article: "The cross-like cutting of the throat, he was sure, had no significance except as a crazed gesture to make sure the victim, already dead from strangulation, would never rise to talk again. It was no more rational than the breaking and scattering of the single blade."

That wouldn't preclude a secret lover; she might have said she was going to tell his wife about them, for instance.