GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Dr is a wackadoodle. Thankfully this judge doesn't possess patience lol

Shocked he's letting him testify tho....this guy has been forbidden from many trials.

He seems to forget his train of thought and words etc. A jury would have found him laughable. He seems to hang his hat on a neighbor that knew her when she was born and a "teenage mentor"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Psychiatrist says teen who texted her boyfriend encouragement as he killed himself was 'involuntarily intoxicated' by her prescribed anti-depressants

<snip>
"Prosecutors criticized Dr Breggin's credentials during cross-examination and sought to discredit him as an 'extremist' who was critical of antidepressants.

Assistant District Attorney Katie Rayburn pushed Dr Breggin to admit he only reached his conclusion about Carter based on medical records and the text exchange between her and Roy.

The judge did not immediately rule on whether Dr Breggin can testify. The psychiatrist has been previously banned from testifying in other cases."

<snip>
"'The impairment of being on the drugs while you are growing up - while you're brain is maturing, while your frontal lobes are developing - you're talking about being inundated with neurotoxic effects,' he said."

Celexa is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor which cause the neurotransmitter Serotonin to remain in the synapses longer to be utilized more fully by the nervous system. In this article he is calling serotonin a "neurotoxin" as if it were a destructive substance that the body needs to rid itself of and instead is increased by this drug. In effect he compares the effects of the increased availability of this neurotransmitter to the effects of 'lead' as destructive to the developing brain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotoxin

No literature, studies or papers exist to support his claims of "intoxication" (poisoning) from serotonin.. Darn it - neurotransmitters poison our brains similarly to lead. How did we survive so long.

He needs to be run out on a rail. I think the judge decided to let him stay to illustrate how ridiculous a counter argument to "just evil" would be.

JMO based on general knowledge and available info.

The judge is smarter than this witness. I do believe there is going to be appropriate punishment, or at least serious repercussions.

To be honest I think he seemed ready to rule before it started..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, I thought the defense was weak last week, but today was just embarrassing and downright infuriating. I was interested in the "expert witness" initially, but DAMN did they drop the ball. I'm sure this will weigh negatively on the judge, it certainly did throughout the testimony.

The judge is smarter than this witness. I do believe there is going to be appropriate punishment, or at least serious repercussions.

I like this judge. I think he is very aware that his ruling will send a message to the masses. This is his chance to make those who are Evil enough to even consider doing something this heinous, think twice, ( about their own welfare, at least). Her parents don't feel she committed a crime. If the judge reaffirms that erroneous belief, think of the Pandora's box that could open! Uhhggg. The horrible cases that will follow then, I shudder to think about it...

G1 said judges will sometimes come down harder on the side they have already decided to rule in favor of, so that looks good too... I am a smidgen more hopeful that MC will at least be found guilty, though I don't think she's going to jail still. Suspended? House arrest? Not sure what all the options are. But this judge is looking good...I don't think MC's fancy clothes and posturing, nor her Prom or carrying on at Disney, like she hasn't a care in the world, has done nothing wrong at all... is going to get her anywhere with this judge.

This Dr is a wackadoodle. Thankfully this judge doesn't possess patience lol

Shocked he's letting him testify tho....this guy has been forbidden from many trials.

Did you hear him say Michelle was voted Most likely to brighten you day" after Conrad died? Struck me as curious! Maybe her classmates were being a bit sarcastic..... or maybe be not.

I hope this is within the rules for me to comment on her appearance. It seems like she is pulling her hair out-- it seems very thin in places, on the sides. She appears very thin and her countenance and affect... well, she seems to me like she very well could be mentally ill herself.

I'm really not sure how I feel about them prosecuting her, but I need to do more research on her situation...

I saw her mother walking into the court house with her, since she hasn't stepped out into the court room I assume she is the next witness. But she is there all day, so I again assume she could be watching proceedings just like the rest of us. MC looks so much like her. I'm surprised we haven't seen her sister either walking in or with her father in the gallery.

I hope this is within the rules for me to comment on her appearance. It seems like she is pulling her hair out-- it seems very thin in places, on the sides. She appears very thin and her countenance and affect... well, she seems to me like she very well could be mentally ill herself.

I'm really not sure how I feel about them prosecuting her, but I need to do more research on her situation...

At the very least, consider this:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...bled-her-empathy-psychiatrist-says/ar-BBCzaOv

"In a series of text messages, Carter told her peers that she listened over her cellphone as Roy died.

An involuntary manslaughter charge can be brought when a person commits wanton or reckless conduct that creates a high degree of likelihood of substantial harm, or when a person recklessly fails to act.

Prosecutors say Carter acted recklessly when she pressured Roy into committing suicide, directed him to information on how to take own his life, and told him to get back in the truck."

She is right where she should be. She wasn't too "ill" to lie and hide what she was doing.

I have been gone all day. Is the testimony from the Dr worth listening to? I have read all of your post.

I have been gone all day. Is the testimony from the Dr worth listening to? I have read all of your post.

No. (imo) It's self-serving psychobabble, arduous to sit through. Read the recaps...save your sanity!

(With possible exception of watching the judge, tell this "expert" to quit babbling and answer the question lol! (essentially)

Basically he said she suffered from serotonin intoxication. It took him all day to rendered that opinion. There were a few comments that were interesting but Judge kept trying to keep him on subject He went into a thousand directions on a single question.

Unless someone heard something I did not hear, not sure it is worth listening 7 hours of testimony.

ETA- the article Safeguard just posted is a good recap.

Thanks Safeguard and MsArk for your reply. I didn't get the feeling it would be worth it by reading the post. I won't waste my time then.

I hope the judge does see right through MC and finds her guilty and gives her some kind of sentence and maybe order her to a mental hospital. jmo

Well, I guess if her defense isn't trying to claim she has more than one mental illness, I will guess it is all for show.

I had a feeling watching this 'expert' witness that the defence regretted choosing him. He came across as quite scatty and confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the above. My thanks button seems stuck.

I have no interest to hear what the Dr. had to say. I remember reading about him when this all came about and he did not sound with the program. So I will definately pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa