MA MA - Furman Joseph Byrd, 18, Boston, June-July 1968

Last edited:
There are mentions of a Furman T Byrd from Cleveland in this interview with the artist Nan Goldin: Oral history interview with Nan Goldin, 2017 April 30-May 13 | Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution | Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

She says they knew each other at a boarding school in Western Massachusetts. She says she has tried to find him but without success. She says he went to Boston University.
She says she dated him when she was 14 and he was 18. It sounds like she dated him when they were in Massachusetts, just months before he went missing. I wonder when school got let out and why it is stated that he was last seen in Cleavland, but believed to be in Massachusetts? I can't find a single unidentified black John Doe from Massachusetts prior to 1980s in NamUs.

I wonder if they might have older john doe files that have yet to be entered online?

Could several things about Furman been reported incorrectly? Especially given when he supposedly disappeared. This John Doe appeared on my FB thread and I thought of Furman. It looks like the photo of him was taken at an odd angle...almost looking down on him, which I took into consideration when comparing photos. I see some similarities. Plus, I didn’t read anything stating exactly where the UID had been shot - maybe in the head or face?

Have you seen this child? JOHN DOE 1968
View attachment 254623View attachment 254624
Did you submit this?

Massachusetts Cold Case Unit Wants to ID Cases Back to '80s

A Massachusetts county’s cold case unit is working to identify a dozen unidentified bodies or skeletal remains that have been found through the years, some dating back nearly four decades.
Massachusetts State Police is looking into identifying cold cases from the past 40 years. I am guessing anything prior to that is no longer available.

He was enrolled. There's a lot to this missing persons case.
Certainly is. I hate to be 'that guy' but it's possible he's a victim of hate crime as well.

Boston... in the 60's... few years shy of the busing incident...

It's a good sign that you don't have many friends.
Families tend to cope with 'well perhaps, xyz started a new life elsewhere' instead of accepting the harsh, bitter reality. That cope lasts for decades until someone (usually a younger sibling/cousin) files a missing report long after parents died.

Oddly, a quick Google search turns up quite a few Furman Byrds, both living and deceased. Different middle initials, though.

Just an enhanced image of both, Randolph Houser and Furman Byrd. The eyebrows and hairline are very different, but maybe it's the perspective.
Warning (Post mortem photo)
1707652634592.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member