Identified! MA - Granby, off Route 116, WhtFem 15-26, UP14969, shallow grave, clothes, gold ring, Nov'78 - Patricia Ann Tucker

I wasn't good enough to make a shirt with that kind of detail, but I had friends who were.

Mrsobrien, when I was looking last night I saw some Simplicity patterns that looked very similar.

I saw some that could have been used as a "base" for a shirt this the one in question, but would need modification. Patterns for knit fabrics were less common then, so that helps narrow it down a lot. I'm going to consult my mom, she is roughly the same age as our UID and also has sewn for many years.

I wonder if she started with a knit shirt and modified it to have the in-style smock look.

I think this is totally possible, it crossed my mind last night. I am a prolific repurposer, and t shirt reconstruction is my strength, lol. It could even be two shirts spliced together, although I don't think this is true here.

Someone posted on my blog recently about this victim inquiring about the size of the belt that was used to drag Granby Jane Doe. She listed another victim dragged by belt that some of you may be familiar with known as Little Miss Panasoffkee, a young lady around the same age as Granby Jane Doe killed in Florida. That Doe was dragged with a size 36 belt. Belt size may provide a clue in terms of the suspect.

Also, I'm sure most of you know this but Granby Jane Doe is now Case File 720UFMA on Doe.
New here. Sorry to throw everyone off with the shirt.
But this I find interesting.

This young lady who was also found with a belt around the neck, a size 36 belt. Thats a bigger man.

I-90 to I-95 runs from Fl to MA. That would be a route for a truckdriver. Imo. I would search the stretch of I-95. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Massachusetts

That shirt reminds me of something I wore in the 70s. Home made clothes,no tags or labels. My mom back then would have been this persons age, it doesn't look like the style for adults back then. Not even 19. I don't understand the "chunky" part though. Size 14-16 is more than likely a teenage size.

Great work everyone, I am really impressed with all the effort put forth to get more information (and pleasantly surprised at the response).

I live in this part of the state and often hike in the area very near to the spot where this young woman was found. The following are some general impressions of the area;

-It is very near to the Mount Holyoke Range, a state park.
-Though the victim was found in Granby, this is an area where the towns of Amherst and South Hadley (and a sliver of Granby) meet.
-The area is both rural and residential, with a number of houses with frontage on this part of 116/Amherst road.
-If traveling from Amherst south one passes through South Hadley and on to the cities of Holyoke and Springfield with options to get on to the major highways.
-And finally, the Five College area of Amherst, Northampton, and South Hadley is rather notorious for drug consumption relating to the number of students. There is reference to this is in the movie Blow. I have heard that drugs are run North and South along routes 116 and 47, though I have no idea whether this might have been similar to the situation in the 70s.

Hopefully there will be more information coming out soon.

MaedchenX I'm pretty sure the same drug activity that goes on now was present in 1978 on Route 116. I think 47 has become more of a problem recently since rural places in Franklin County have had an increase in drug use.

I have also mentioned to Believe that this was a major hitchhiking spot, not just for students but for others traveling through the area. Even relatives of mine hitchhiked through the area during the same time period because they felt it was "safe". Overall though aside from student related arrests the immediate area was and still is a relatively low crime area.

The area where 116 meets Amherst Street is wooded and not in the sight of other houses although as previously mentioned cars, buses, and trucks are frequently on this road.

I realize these are old posts, but......... that area in the '70's was much tamer than anyone seems to be imagining. Few young people had cars in those days, and you'd have needed a car to get to any kind of larger population, except maybe Northampton. But Northampton is a college town as well. Just to give y'all some perspective, imagine: sit-down dinners, family style, every night; real silverware at table, with real silver urns to serve tea or coffee; at the colleges, pretty much everyone lived in dorms; at UMass, there likely was more freedom, but there weren't large tracts of privately owned student housing; the nearest mall was in Connecticut, and there weren't a whole lot of "box stores" in existence yet; the party scene was beer at Amherst frat houses; a smallish percentage watched TV with any regularity, and that tended to be Walter Cronkite; you'd get an occasional whiff of MJ in a dorm, but no rumors of hard drugs or alcoholism (except on weekends); strangely enough, a lot of students studied!; several of these campuses had very competitive student bodies and very high standards. Many of these students lived very sheltered lives! Three of the campuses were like country clubs: riding stables, lakes, top notch gym facilities, extensive libraries, museums, dorms with state of the art furniture..... A fourth campus was brand new. There was a considerable loosening in the area of sexual discussion and experimentation, both the "free love" variety, homosexuality, "premarital sex", and S&M. And the Vietnam War had not been over for long. Issues of social justice, student empowerment.....

I hope this helps your picture of things regarding college life. I interviewed for a position at one of these campuses in the early '80's and it wasn't a whole lot different from the early '70's. I did not have much experience with UMAss, but it, too, was tame compared with these days.

It does occur to me regarding this UID that something might have gone wrong at a frat house.....

I saw some that could have been used as a "base" for a shirt this the one in question, but would need modification. Patterns for knit fabrics were less common then, so that helps narrow it down a lot. I'm going to consult my mom, she is roughly the same age as our UID and also has sewn for many years.

I did a lot of sewing in the '60s and '70s, thus my comments above. I taught myself how to sew knits. Yes, there were patterns for knits. Sewing knits became popular in the early 70's. You had to have a sewing machine that would sew zigzags, and most sewing machines out there did not.

Even if you were used to sewing knits, the round yoke and the stitched-in V at the neckline on that top would be tricky: there's no pucker, and the yoke edging would be on the bias. And if the inset piece isn't a knit, you're working with a knit seamed with a non-knit. Yowza! And if the green stuff is a knit, then the appliqué is a knit, too?

If there is consensus that the top is homemade, I would try Butterick.

My husband was born and raised in the next town over(and we still live in town) and every teenager had a car. You couldn't get anywhere without one. Cars were easily had, much cheaper and easily worked on. My husband can't think of one friend that didn't have a car in those days. Perhaps some bigger or financially strapped families had kids share one but at least here in Belchertown it was more common for teens to have their own car than not. We're talking about towns that in the 70's (and even today truthfully) that do not have stores, restaurants etc on every corner. Belchertown didn't even have a grocery store of its own until the 2000's LOL

My husband was born and raised in the next town over(and we still live in town) and every teenager had a car. You couldn't get anywhere without one. Cars were easily had, much cheaper and easily worked on. My husband can't think of one friend that didn't have a car in those days. Perhaps some bigger or financially strapped families had kids share one but at least here in Belchertown it was more common for teens to have their own car than not. We're talking about towns that in the 70's (and even today truthfully) that do not have stores, restaurants etc on every corner. Belchertown didn't even have a grocery store of its own until the 2000's LOL

You are correct in saying that in the '70's you couldn't go anywhere without a car in that area. However, that meant a lot of students didn't go anywhere! That was true for all 5 campuses, I believe, although there was generally a frat party or two on weekends at Amherst College. Even wealthy college students didn't have cars. (Cars actually weren't allowed freshman year on my campus.) I knew one student in my class who had one, but she was a day student from Granby with a single working father. I knew twins in the class after me who had a car (a Pinto, lol), but they were able to split the price and upkeep; they were the only ones in my entire dorm to own a car! This was pretty typical.... Students were in the area to study, not to party (the dorm had only one TV, and most of the time it was off, for gosh sake). My friend from Granby partied in high school, but it was a whole different scene when she got to college.

So, although many high school students in the area might have had cars, this was not true of college students.

I even had professors who didn't have cars (professors were required to live nearby, incidentally).

And, as I mentioned in my post above, the nearest big mall was in Connecticut (Enfield). The current busy drag through Hadley was mostly fields: certainly not the mix of major stores and hotels there now. There were not a whole lot of restaurants, even. I remember the Rusty Scupper, but that was it! A restaurant meal was a big treat.

There was a free bus that linked the five colleges.

I didn't know of a single person in my high school, either, who had a car. Except my older brother, who worked 30+ hours per week, which allowed him to pay for one. Even at grad school, students didn't have cars: I did grad school at a wealthy university and I was the only one I knew who had one, and I worked for 2 years before grad school so I had some savings. (Tires weren't good in those days, so it frequently had flats.)

My parents could never have afforded a car for any of their offspring, even though my father had a comfortable salary.

Something nasty could have gone down at an Amherst frat party...... If anything, frat parties in general were worse then than they are now (since then, frats have been abolished at Amherst IIRC). At Amherst, frat parties were reputed to be ankle-deep in beer: a young woman could easily have been assaulted while in a stupor.

What do you think the possibility is that the perp(s) in this case could have been a local high school student(s)?

I didn't move to New England until 1980, but I had the impression that in the Northampton area there were a lot of town and gown issues.

Yes, local high school students didn't usually mix with college students, though there were a few local day students. It's my impression that Smithies are much more integrated into Northampton culture now than they were then. Northampton also seems a lot wealthier now.

Yes it may have been true that the college population didn't go anywhere and they would have been primarily confined to Amherst and Northampton, And while Massachusetts as a whole is now and always has been a fairly well educated state. I would say going to college was less common in towns like Granby/Ware/Belchertown. So really we're talking about 2 very different populations in a relatively small area that despite close proximity likely didn't intersect all that much.

And because of that I think this particular case probably doesn't involve a student. The state school was out here and there was a large population of people that wouldn't be looked for too hard. There were a lot of mentally ill housed in private rooming houses and I do question (from personal experience) how closely these folks were monitored. My grandmother housed at any given time 3-8 mentally challenged adults, strictly for money, not their best interest. I know she wasn't alone.

I-90 to I-95 runs from Fl to MA. That would be a route for a truckdriver. Imo. I would search the stretch of I-95. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Massachusetts

Interstate 91 goes through Northampton-Holyoke-Springfield, and it looks from the map as though it would be a reasonable "en route", but, in fact, it is quite convoluted to get to this location. Unlikely to be a truck driver on his/her way through, IMO.

I have looked at 1970s vintage patterns and some 1960s on line as well As for "swan appliqués" including on etsy. I have had no luck. I still think this is a very weird shirt and is for someone younger than they have estimated. I do think it is probably homemade and I do think that if an older person was wearing it, that it may have been as one person has mentioned here, it could have been someone who had challenges.

I think that someone could have recognized this shirt Long ago and that it is probably too late.

So guys, is she shot in the vehicle or somewhere else and dumped? Given the descriptions you are giving, it is hard for me to imagine that they got out and then she was shot, then dragged....lots of risk there of being seen.
Bullet entered the left temple and exited. Would it shatter the passenger window?
I'd have to think she was shot in a vehicle and drug out of the car with the belt.

Were there no pants, shoes, undergarments that may give a better size of this person. I don't know how they could determine "chunky".

<modsnip: broken link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Bullet entered the left temple and exited. Would it shatter the passenger window?
I'd have to think she was shot in a vehicle and drug out of the car with the belt.

Were there no pants, shoes, undergarments that may give a better size of this person. I don't know how they could determine "chunky".

<modsnip: broken link>

I take any estimates of build with a large grain of salt. In this case I suspect they were thinking "smock top=fat girl clothes," which was totally not the case in the 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take any estimates of build with a large grain of salt. In this case I suspect they were thinking "smock top=fat girl clothes," which was totally not the case in the 70's.
I lean towards a young girl, approx age 12-17 by the shirt. And I believe that is a size based on teens clothing. I'm still curious about other articles of clothing being found.

I lean towards a young girl, approx age 12-17 by the shirt. And I believe that is a size based on teens clothing. I'm still curious about other articles of clothing being found.

From one of the news articles: "In addition to the swan blouse, according to newspapers, she was wearing vinyl wedgie-style shoes, a blue tank top and a black windbreaker." No word on sizes, though, and it doesn't sound like she was wearing anything on the bottom, like pants.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back