MA MA- Harold D. Boland, 48, Rep, Jewel Tea Co, floating in industrial canal, rope tied to hand & rock, Pittsfield, 21 May '62, *New initiative*

dotr

Reaction score
May 21 '24
''PITTSFIELD, Mass. (NEWS10)– On May 21, 1962, Harold D. Boland’s body was found by a fisherman on Onota Lake, and the case remains unsolved 62 years later. Boland’s fully clothed body was found floating in an industrial canal with a rope tied to his right hand. He was 48 when he died.

Reports from the Pittsfield Police Chief in 1962, Thomas Calnan, said no violence was indicated in Boland’s death. Boland was a representative for Jewel Tea Co. and worked alone in a garage where police found his empty wallet, broken glasses, papers strewn around, and the matching shoe Boland was wearing when his body was recovered.''

''The involvement of the New England mafia in Berkshire Downs may have helped, in part, to explain a perceived rise in apparent organized crime in nearby Pittsfield which would last throughout the 1960s.

Illegal activity was on the rise, ranging from the proliferation of bookies to the suspicious deaths of two Berkshire County men within a six-month period in 1962. Harold Boland, of Pittsfield, was found in a canal off Onota Lake in May, having had his wrists tied to a heavy stone. Joseph Klein, a West Stockbridge native who worked in Pittsfield, was found beaten to death outside his car by an assailant who had apparently struck after waiting for him to exit a bar in Canaan, N.Y. While the cases remained unsolved, suspicions ran high that the two men may have gotten in over their head in gambling and run awry of mob enforcers''.

1716392023072.png
''Police investigating at the office yesterday found Mr. Boland's empty wallet in the garage. Papers in .it were strewn around, police said, but no money was recovered. Also found was a shoe matching one recovered on the body., A length of clothesline found near the office reportedly is of the same kind as clothesline found tied to a wrist on the body.''

"There isn't enough evidence to substantiate either a theory of homicide or suicide." Evidence initially indicatecoul play, but police now are speculating that Mr. Boland may have faked a robbery at his office and committed suicide.''

It would be a hell of a thing to be so committed to disguising your suicide as murder that you travelled the 3 miles from your home to the murder location in one shoe.

It would be a hell of a thing to be so committed to disguising your suicide as murder that you travelled the 3 miles from your home to the murder location in one shoe.
You'd kind of have to do something that extreme to be convince your insurance company to pay out your death benefits to your family. I'm assuming he had a family--if not, it's a lot weirder.

You'd kind of have to do something that extreme to be convince your insurance company to pay out your death benefits to your family. I'm assuming he had a family--if not, it's a lot weirder.

I'd certainly agree that trying to disguise a suicide as murder for insurance reasons could be a thing.

But leaving a shoe behind when you're clearly going to need to be walking outside is something that falls outside of 'expected behavior' for me. Even if you're killing yourself, you're probably going to want to be wearing shoes if you're out in a remote area, probably walking on dirt. And the whole crime-staging thing would work basically just as well with 2 shoes.

I'd certainly agree that trying to disguise a suicide as murder for insurance reasons could be a thing.

But leaving a shoe behind when you're clearly going to need to be walking outside is something that falls outside of 'expected behavior' for me. Even if you're killing yourself, you're probably going to want to be wearing shoes if you're out in a remote area, probably walking on dirt. And the whole crime-staging thing would work basically just as well with 2 shoes.

Yeah, but the logic that reinforces the fraud is exactly what you said. "I'll leave a shoe because they know I wouldn't walk that far in one shoe."

And if he was staging it to look like murder, he could have slipped on another shoe or a slipper or something to protect him while he was walking, then discarded it nearby before he put himself in the river.

I'm not going to argue too strongly for it because I think the fake suicide is pretty unlikely, but it does seem possible.

Yeah, but the logic that reinforces the fraud is exactly what you said. "I'll leave a shoe because they know I wouldn't walk that far in one shoe."

And if he was staging it to look like murder, he could have slipped on another shoe or a slipper or something to protect him while he was walking, then discarded it nearby before he put himself in the river.

I'm not going to argue too strongly for it because I think the fake suicide is pretty unlikely, but it does seem possible.

Yeah, to me that feels like the sort of astonishingly clever little touch that someone in a mystery novel would do but not actually something that a distressed person in real life would consider, especially as it wasn't necessary to execute the plan.

But agreed that it's pretty unlikely either way.

Yeah, to me that feels like the sort of astonishingly clever little touch that someone in a mystery novel would do but not actually something that a distressed person in real life would consider, especially as it wasn't necessary to execute the plan.

But agreed that it's pretty unlikely either way.
o/t but related..
Suicide seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened, such as in this case..
''In February, police entertained the idea that Abrahamson's death might have been a suicide. The working theory became: He tied a gun to a string, attached it to the weather balloon, and once the shot was fired, the balloon carried the weapon away from the scene. ''
"Although the theory seemed far-fetched, it was plausible," a police report states''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnthatsux
Back