Found Deceased MA - Henry Bedard, 15, found murdered, Swampscott, 16 Dec 1974

Is there anyone here who has access to the Globe and can summarize the article using the 10% content maximum? Thank you in advance.

I have a subscription to Newspapers.com. In a few weeks I'll probably be able to download it there.

As always, RIP to Henry and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. I do hope they learn the truth some day soon.

MOO
If no one recognized the bat's carvings at the time, perhaps the bat hadn't been around. Did anyone of interest move to town after baseball season but before the murder, possibly bringing a bat?

These days, a 31" bat would likely be for someone fairly small. Quite possibly smaller, either in height, weight, or both, than Henry. A middle school kid's bat, if you will. I don't know what was common as to size back then though.

MOO
If no one recognized the bat's carvings at the time, perhaps the bat hadn't been around. Did anyone of interest move to town after baseball season but before the murder, possibly bringing a bat?

These days, a 31" bat would likely be for someone fairly small. Quite possibly smaller, either in height, weight, or both, than Henry. A middle school kid's bat, if you will. I don't know what was common as to size back then though.

NOT athletic at all.

Might this have been a softball bat, intended for a young woman, generally smaller framed then young men?

The bat was probably in someone's car as a weapon. Think drug dealer etc.

NOT athletic at all.

Might this have been a softball bat, intended for a young woman, generally smaller framed then young men?
I recall one of the older news articles linked here said it was the type used on the high school baseball team. However, the team bats didn't have that marking on the bottom. LE said many other high school teams use the same kind of bat.

Link to scan of the article with info about the bat

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$