MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

After reading the comments from the person who grew up there during that time period it really points to an affair gone wrong. I do agree that affairs were very common in that era- I have heard stories of my own family (upper middle class). I also think that Mrs. Barker probably knew what had happened and covered for the family to save face. The extra beer cans were probably from the guy..nowadays they could have DNA swabbed those cans. Secrets would never be divulged then. RIP Joan.

is this Joan's son? the age matches and MA... looks like he has some disabilities. Poor guy, I wonder how growing up affected him. Missing Haverhill man found in Beverly

Yes, it is Joan Risch's son. I believe life has been hard on him The spooky thing was he went missing last year around the same time as the anniversary of his mother's disappearance.

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't remember. Is his sister still alive?

After reading the comments from the person who grew up there during that time period it really points to an affair gone wrong. I do agree that affairs were very common in that era- I have heard stories of my own family (upper middle class). I also think that Mrs. Barker probably knew what had happened and covered for the family to save face. The extra beer cans were probably from the guy..nowadays they could have DNA swabbed those cans. Secrets would never be divulged then. RIP Joan.

I believe you are mostly correct in your conclusion. I live in the Boston area, and am familiar with the area and the case. I think I know the "person who grew up there" that you are referring to. I think they made several comments in a subReddit area and the poster's name is a bit unusual. I believe some of what they are stating except where they seem to be dismissive of the eyewitness account, I do not. I am of the opinion the eyewitnesses sightings of JM (supposedly) and the car were correct. Perhaps it is my blind spot but I do put credence in eye witness accounts. Let me qualify that and say generally people see something, maybe it is blue or green but the overall picture is correct. In this case they were independent, and taken before the details hit the press. I do agree with the poster that it is just about impossible for JM to walk to where she was supposedly seen on 128/95. However I believe she was brought near there and either dumped out or escaped..not sure. However, I disagree with them on the 2A sighting...From the old location of JM's house it is not that far of a walk to 2A. I have heard from a few contacts that indeed it was "local".

I haven't posted on WS in ages, but ran across the Joan Risch cae somewhere online, and eventually came here. It kind of bothers me that a former local posts that everyone just somehow knows it was all related to an affair. Just because someone knew people back then that had affairs doesn't mean that Joan was having one. I find the whole timeline to be odd. How does a person go to the dentist for a filling and then go shopping for clothes and I believe a few groceries in such a short time frame? The neighbor is the only person who gives most of the timeframe as well. What the police officer wrote down didn't indicate that she told him how many times that day her kid went over to Joan's. She didn't mention that he'd supposedly gone back over there at 1 pm or that the kids ended up back in her yard and she didn't know they were there for over an hour . She was in a perfect position to have done something while the kids were out of range on her yard swing and to have had someone come haul Joan away, just before leaving in her vehicle to go shopping. If Joan didn't fake a kidnapping, someone either got really lucky or knew the habits of the neighbor Mom coming and going with her kid to play, and Joan's own daughter of coming in and out playing with the neighbor boy. They all just barely missed running into the person or seeing a vehicle.

I haven't posted on WS in ages, but ran across the Joan Risch cae somewhere online, and eventually came here. It kind of bothers me that a former local posts that everyone just somehow knows it was all related to an affair. Just because someone knew people back then that had affairs doesn't mean that Joan was having one. I find the whole timeline to be odd. How does a person go to the dentist for a filling and then go shopping for clothes and I believe a few groceries in such a short time frame? The neighbor is the only person who gives most of the timeframe as well. What the police officer wrote down didn't indicate that she told him how many times that day her kid went over to Joan's. She didn't mention that he'd supposedly gone back over there at 1 pm or that the kids ended up back in her yard and she didn't know they were there for over an hour . She was in a perfect position to have done something while the kids were out of range on her yard swing and to have had someone come haul Joan away, just before leaving in her vehicle to go shopping. If Joan didn't fake a kidnapping, someone either got really lucky or knew the habits of the neighbor Mom coming and going with her kid to play, and Joan's own daughter of coming in and out playing with the neighbor boy. They all just barely missed running into the person or seeing a vehicle.

You have right. Neighbour probably knows more than said. In the subject of dentists I must tell you two years ago I had one who was working 3-4 hours with my teeth, my current dentist is much more faster and 15-20 minuts is the upper border;)

It would be very difficult to fake kidnapping and I don't think she done it.

You have right. Neighbour probably knows more than said. In the subject of dentists I must tell you two years ago I had one who was working 3-4 hours with my teeth, my current dentist is much more faster and 15-20 minuts is the upper border;)

It would be very difficult to fake kidnapping and I don't think she done it.

Well, I think we something to jump start this inactive mystery (contrary to it being an "active, ongoing case") The Boston Globe and WBUR just did a recent series on the Gardner Heist. It was pretty successful and the team is looking to do another podcast series. I may pitch them the Joan Risch case, see if there is any interest?

The other thing I am thinking about is this - back in the day, when there were real crime reporters it seemed like they had key access to not only LE but records and documents that the average person could not get. You might say they knew jsut as much, if not more about the case than LE. When current investigators look up an old newspaper crime reporter for information on cold, unsolved cases their files usually are very informative. My point is, I saw an obituary where an old Boston Herald crime reporter passed away a few years ago. The obituary made it a point to say that at the time, he was very involved in the reporting on the Joan Risch case. In a local newspaper an accompanying article about the reporter was written by a local columnist who knew the old Herald reporter. When I saw his byline I recognized his name and we have a few mutual friends. I am wondering if I reach out to him would he be able to contact the family about the reporter's old files? As I write this I wonder what happens to and old crime reporter's files? Who owns them? They family may have even tossed them after his passing... Anyway, it is a bit of a long shot but I may try it.

Well, I think we something to jump start this inactive mystery (contrary to it being an "active, ongoing case") The Boston Globe and WBUR just did a recent series on the Gardner Heist. It was pretty successful and the team is looking to do another podcast series. I may pitch them the Joan Risch case, see if there is any interest?

The other thing I am thinking about is this - back in the day, when there were real crime reporters it seemed like they had key access to not only LE but records and documents that the average person could not get. You might say they knew jsut as much, if not more about the case than LE. When current investigators look up an old newspaper crime reporter for information on cold, unsolved cases their files usually are very informative. My point is, I saw an obituary where an old Boston Herald crime reporter passed away a few years ago. The obituary made it a point to say that at the time, he was very involved in the reporting on the Joan Risch case. In a local newspaper an accompanying article about the reporter was written by a local columnist who knew the old Herald reporter. When I saw his byline I recognized his name and we have a few mutual friends. I am wondering if I reach out to him would he be able to contact the family about the reporter's old files? As I write this I wonder what happens to and old crime reporter's files? Who owns them? They family may have even tossed them after his passing... Anyway, it is a bit of a long shot but I may try it.

Hi jgfitzge!
Have you tried to find some informations about old crime reporter's files?

I agree with you that a familly member is the simple way to get it.
IMO such source files can be also found in the archive of the newspaper editorial office. This way is "most popular" in my country. If I want to get it I must know a reporter and negotiate with him . It can be impossible because they have the confidentiality of sources in many cases . You're local and may be you can ask Boston Herald. Can you write them a polite email asking for informations?

Last edited:
Although I can’t say Joan had an affair (possible); but so many things are confusing when reading several articles.

Here is my crazy thoughts in this after reading several articles and interviews.

1. Joan was attempting to abort a baby and it went horribly wrong. I come to this after reading of one sighting where, she was seen with blood running down her legs and she seemed out of sorts. Phone book opened to emergency numbers as well as the cans of liquid courage.

2.Did she call a supposed father of a baby, and that was the car in the driveway? She was possibly having a miscarriage and phoned him, she was completely distraught and was fighting with him as he was trying to help her. Could be the result of shock which caused her feelings of fight or flight.

The next neighbor often stated something about the time she was gone she sent the daughter back home as it should have been enough time for whatever business Joan had to Conduct. I often find that odd. Then again it was a different time, so maybe not so odd back then. Something about that line always gets me.

I often wondered if Joan was considering changing her identity, because she knew she would need to get out of that area, and her husband once the pregnancy was discovered.

I’m grasping at straws; while trying to put the obscure pieces together. I do think the neighbor may have had a clue about an affair and those afternoon visits were not out of the ordinary. That could explain why she only had the daughter and felt the hour was enough time based on previous occurrences??

Very bizarre case indeed, I hope one day it is solved.

I think she probably committed suicide. She may have been in one of the road construction ditches where she went unnoticed and got buried.

This is a big thread and I haven't had the chance to read it all the way through yet, so apologies if anything has been said before.

At first I was thinking she had a miscarriage. But Joan visiting the dentist right before made me think of the dentists who performed abortions before it was legal. Maybe she had one earlier that day and started hemorrhaging after she got home? She could have walked her kids to the neighbor's yard so she could clean herself up without alarming them. Maybe she was bleeding too much and couldn't stop it so she called for help. Someone came to her house and was going to take her to the hospital, but she didn't want to go and have her secret exposed. She got out of the car on the highway, dazed from blood loss, and wandered off. The woods on the side of the highway can be very thick around here and it would be difficult to see her from the road if she collapsed out there.

Otherwise, could anesthesia used for her filling induce a miscarriage? I could see the same/similar sequence of events happening - her bleeding, calling for help, not wanting to go to a hospital and bleeding out on the side of the highway - in a miscarriage circumstance as well.

I believe a pregnancy was the cause of her death. I don't believe foul play was involved, but I could see someone helping cover up what happened. Her husband's obituary broke my heart.

This is a big thread and I haven't had the chance to read it all the way through yet, so apologies if anything has been said before.

At first I was thinking she had a miscarriage. But Joan visiting the dentist right before made me think of the dentists who performed abortions before it was legal. Maybe she had one earlier that day and started hemorrhaging after she got home? She could have walked her kids to the neighbor's yard so she could clean herself up without alarming them. Maybe she was bleeding too much and couldn't stop it so she called for help. Someone came to her house and was going to take her to the hospital, but she didn't want to go and have her secret exposed. She got out of the car on the highway, dazed from blood loss, and wandered off. The woods on the side of the highway can be very thick around here and it would be difficult to see her from the road if she collapsed out there.

Otherwise, could anesthesia used for her filling induce a miscarriage? I could see the same/similar sequence of events happening - her bleeding, calling for help, not wanting to go to a hospital and bleeding out on the side of the highway - in a miscarriage circumstance as well.

I believe a pregnancy was the cause of her death. I don't believe foul play was involved, but I could see someone helping cover up what happened. Her husband's obituary broke my heart.

I just read this theory on Reddit, with one difference. The theory is she started bleeding after returning home and called the dentist. It was his car in the driveway. He was taking her to a hospital or told her he would, then panicked and dumped her on the side of the road to die. It's plausible; the dentist didn't want to be found out and Joan possibly no longer cared to go on living seeing as her world was basically shattered. Both would've been arrested and shame would be not only on them but their families. But why would Joan take her daughter along?

I just read this theory on Reddit, with one difference. The theory is she started bleeding after returning home and called the dentist. It was his car in the driveway. He was taking her to a hospital or told her he would, then panicked and dumped her on the side of the road to die. It's plausible; the dentist didn't want to be found out and Joan possibly no longer cared to go on living seeing as her world was basically shattered. Both would've been arrested and shame would be not only on them but their families. But why would Joan take her daughter along?
Joan was seen wandering around, so I don't think someone else dumped her body from a car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back