Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

I grew up in Lee, MA, where Meghan went missing, and still visit my parents there often. This is not the kind of thing that happens in Lee, and I am just afraid that the police department there is out of its element...hopefully they are running a thorough investigation and are just keeping things close to the vest, but I really hope they are getting the help and resources they need to investigate beyond the initial ground search.

As a local, I completely agree to all of the above! And I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be yet another disgruntled former spouse/boyfriend/partner seeking revenge situation. We have heard she's not married (unsure if she ever was), but I've yet to read whether she has a boyfriend/partner. Guessing not, or we'd probably be hearing from them, whereas her brother is the spokesperson. It's possible her current emotional upset is because of a relationship breakup, but no one has said.

Marohn, an English teacher, educated at Chatham High School until 2017, according to her family. She taught there for more than 10 years and served as a club advisor, earning teacher of the year from the school several times, they said.

Marohn moved to New York but went missing in Massachusetts. Her black 2017 Subaru Impreza was found, unlocked, at Longcope Park in south Lee. An extensive police search involving helicopters, drones, K9s and ground units ensued. But the efforts of law enforcement, loved ones and volunteers have yielded no results.

'Passionate' Ex-Chatham Teacher Goes Missing, Sparking Major Search In Massachusetts

I am local and I agree that there is almost no crime here, certainly not violent crime.
I wish the brother felt comfortable in sharing what her emotional upset was. That might help move this forward.
Hopefully he has shared it with the authorities. I'm grateful that he did share that little bit with the press, as I think it has kept those of us local a bit calmer in thinking that perhaps this was not a homicide...

Just saw that the NY police assisting have additional equipment that will enable them to search areas the MA police were not able to. Fingers crossed...

I happened to read that article a few days ago after seeing her mentioned on a thread for Meghan on another site. Very bizarre, especially as Jackie was found 5 miles from the home where she went missing. Was the home she was staying at in Hinsdale surrounded by woods with trails that people frequented?

Things are not looking good for poor Meghan, and it's completely frustrating that we have no upcoming press conference planned. I keep thinking that perhaps LE just feels certain this is a mental health situation, but they're not allowed to state that, so they're staying quiet.
It looks like the sister lived on Smith Rd in Hinsdale. Jackie went for a walk at 1030 in the morning and never came back. I looked on google maps and Smith Rd looks pretty rural with some residential but heavily surrounded by woods. I don’t know about trails.

It looks like the sister lived on Smith Rd in Hinsdale. Jackie went for a walk at 1030 in the morning and never came back. I looked on google maps and Smith Rd looks pretty rural with some residential but heavily surrounded by woods. I don’t know about trails.
Thank you. Just awful... Wonder if she had some sort of sudden physical issue, like a stroke, while out close to the house, and then just started wandering.

Thanks for that. I remember that case now. It had seemed odd that she wondered off. She apparently had gone into the back yard to look at birds. At the time, her daughter said she had gone to "check on her" mother which prompted some posters here to speculate that Jackie was not 100% mentally healthy and needed to be "checked on". Sounds like she wandered far away, but who knows....

Thanks for that. I remember that case now. It had seemed odd that she wondered off. She apparently had gone into the back yard to look at birds. At the time, her daughter said she had gone to "check on her" mother which prompted some posters here to speculate that Jackie was not 100% mentally healthy and needed to be "checked on". Sounds like she wandered far away, but who knows....
Below is a quick article from when she went missing
"Jacqueline Coutinho was last seen about 10:15 a.m., May 15, on Smith Road. She left her sister's house to take a walk and has not been seen since, Police Chief Susan Rathbun said on Facebook.
She is white, about 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighs about 130 pounds and has gray/blonde hair. She was last seen wearing a purple fleece jacket and a red hooded sweater, blue jeans and white sneakers, police said."
Police: Woman missing from the Berkshires for a month

I feel like we're hoping for a miracle now. Meghan and I have a lot in common. We both teach English. We both are in our 40s. We both love to write. We both enjoy nature. And we both have had to face some emotional turbulence. I thought it was at my end yesterday. But I woke up today feeling strong. If you're out there Meghan, and you don't feel like you're strong enough to deal with things, remember that you can get stronger. You can be a superhero. In fact, you already are.

I feel like we're hoping for a miracle now. Meghan and I have a lot in common. We both teach English. We both are in our 40s. We both love to write. We both enjoy nature. And we both have had to face some emotional turbulence. I thought it was at my end yesterday. But I woke up today feeling strong. If you're out there Meghan, and you don't feel like you're strong enough to deal with things, remember that you can get stronger. You can be a superhero. In fact, you already are.
Nice post @CluelessWonder Stay strong.

Crews are crossing more and more land off their lists as they cut through brush, wade through swamps, and forage through forests for any sign of Meghan Marohn—a local Shaker High School teacher who’s been missing for more than two weeks now.
Searchers spent Monday branching out from where Marohn’s car was found abandoned March 27 in Longcope Park. Volunteers with the Berkshire Mountain Search and Rescue team have covered a wide area of land with a square mile left to go.

Law enforcement continues search for Meghan Marohn

Crews are crossing more and more land off their lists as they cut through brush, wade through swamps, and forage through forests for any sign of Meghan Marohn—a local Shaker High School teacher who’s been missing for more than two weeks now.
Searchers spent Monday branching out from where Marohn’s car was found abandoned March 27 in Longcope Park. Volunteers with the Berkshire Mountain Search and Rescue team have covered a wide area of land with a square mile left to go.

Law enforcement continues search for Meghan Marohn
Thanks for that link, as I hadn't seen it and have been checking various sites all day long as the weather cleared today from rain to sun and very warm temps. I don't like the sound of "with a square mile left to go" - what does that mean?? The wooded area in the Longcope Park area extends beyond the park in all directions, heading up to the Mass Pike with what looks like dense marsh grasses/swamp and east toward the town of Lee with acres of woods, and so on. Maybe that was their search area today so saying" one square mile left" means today's result? She could have turned off her phone (or had it turned off "for her") and run, for miles. I hope that doesn't imply that they are going to give up after another square mile of searching. There have been no reports about authorities searching the Housatonic River, which would have been an easy walk for her, say 15 minutes. I'm getting updates on Albany news sites as you posted above, and the occasional Berkshire Eagle article. Last local Lee police update was March 30. If they still don't suspect foul play, it'd be nice to hear why. An absence of evidence of that doesn't mean, to me, that there was none. ? How certain are they about the last phone ping? Computer/cell phone records? They seem certain her body would now be in the immediate area, but without communication from the folks in charge I do know it's making us who are local very worried.

Thanks for that link, as I hadn't seen it and have been checking various sites all day long as the weather cleared today from rain to sun and very warm temps. I don't like the sound of "with a square mile left to go" - what does that mean?? The wooded area in the Longcope Park area extends beyond the park in all directions, heading up to the Mass Pike with what looks like dense marsh grasses/swamp and east toward the town of Lee with acres of woods, and so on. Maybe that was their search area today so saying" one square mile left" means today's result? She could have turned off her phone (or had it turned off "for her") and run, for miles. I hope that doesn't imply that they are going to give up after another square mile of searching. There have been no reports about authorities searching the Housatonic River, which would have been an easy walk for her, say 15 minutes. I'm getting updates on Albany news sites as you posted above, and the occasional Berkshire Eagle article. Last local Lee police update was March 30. If they still don't suspect foul play, it'd be nice to hear why. An absence of evidence of that doesn't mean, to me, that there was none. ? How certain are they about the last phone ping? Computer/cell phone records? They seem certain her body would now be in the immediate area, but without communication from the folks in charge I do know it's making us who are local very worried.
The article goes on to explain the the BMSR volunteers only have 1 square mile left to their search, but MA and NY have called in more manpower to assist with further searching, including a search 0f the more difficult areas in Beartown Forest. THE BMSR is a volunteer search group and they are only one group of people out there doing searches. There are several groups doing searches in other areas as well. We had a hiker in these parts survive for 26 days before she died, see Geraldine Largay, and she was found 100 yards from where three k9 teams had searched. There's every possibility that Meghan is still alive somewhere out there and will be found alive. With NY and MA and volunteer groups like BMSR, there's still hope.

We don't hear much about the Housatonic River but that's a significant concern. Lots of folks tend to end up in the water - some intentionally and some not. Obviously if she's in the water, the search area expands a lot.

We don't hear much about the Housatonic River but that's a significant concern. Lots of folks tend to end up in the water - some intentionally and some not. Obviously if she's in the water, the search area expands a lot.
I'm not sure she would have walked from Longcope to the river. Seems that she would have left her car at the Red Lion if she were headed to the river. It's just a hop and a skip down South St to get to the river. Then again, there are searches in Beartown Forest, so maybe they are also searching the river.
Here's a few pictures of someone who walked the Longcope property.
Roots Both Bitter & Sweet - Longcope Park » Berkshire Family Hikes

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...1ec-a310-9f09bbfa17cb/624f595d81565.image.jpg

624f595d81565.image.jpg

I've been there at times too, @CluelessWonder. I'm glad you're feeling strong. There's still some joy in life to be found. I think, at least.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back