Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very sad. His younger brother graduated last night and was given a standing ovation when his name was called. I saw a lot of people with tears in their eyes. :(

I can think of a time or two, when I was in my twenties that If it wasn't for a persistent friend, getting me home safe and into my bed, my stupidity (not calling the victim stupid) could very well have caused my death due to my condition and the elements. I drum into my kids heads to always do their best to take care of their friends, I only hope they're friends parents are teaching their kids the same.😢

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can think of a time or two, when I was in my twenties that If it wasn't for a persistent friend, getting me home safe and into my bed, my stupidity (not calling the victim stupid) could very well have caused my death due to my condition and the elements. I drum into my kids heads to always do their best to take care of their friends, I only hope they're friends parents are teaching their kids the same.

So true...

I think Michael was a book smart kid but probably not very street smart. I doubt he was even very drunk...just very naive of him to wander out into the darkness of those woods like he did when he hadn't done it in years...and only once at that IIRC. All I can think of is him trying to fight his way out of that pitch black swamp with no shoes on his feet on such a cold, wet night. I'd prefer to think he was drunk/drugged out of his mind so that he didn't know what was happening to him, but I think he well knew as he tried to find his way back to the party house and walked beyond it in the dark. What a terrible way to die.

I find it much more believable that Michael would take drugs, than for someone to drug him. But that's just my opinion. I have no idea if drugs are even involved here.

I do think people tend to be a little naive about drug use. You really can't tell by how someone looks, socio-economic status, grades, family, etc. I think I already shared this earlier in the thread, but my group of friends in college were routinely doing cocaine for a while. There were several of us who went out together a lot, but they kept their usage from myself and one other person in our group. We were always out together and the two of us never knew. I was shocked when they told us years later. Again; classy, beautiful, brilliant women.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Amen to this. Addiction/drug use doesn't have a face. I graduated with a 4.6 GPA, president of my class, and was an addict...a bad one. I'm ten years sober now but even back then just looking at me people would never think I was using, I looked too "girl-next-door". The same with my husband, also ten years sober. When people meet us they are always shocked about our history because we don't "look" the way they would imagine.

I don't know if Michael used drugs but I completely agree there is naivety when it comes to drug use. Kids experiment. My husband works with kids 12-17 getting them into rehab and these are "nice" "normal" looking kids, too. There are always pseudo-accidents as well. It can be as simple as someone twisting their ankle and having a friend say, oh I've got something that will really help. Boom.

RIP Michael. So sad and unnecessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen to this. Addiction/drug use doesn't have a face. I graduated with a 4.6 GPA, president of my class, and was an addict...a bad one. I'm ten years sober now but even back then just looking at me people would never think I was using, I looked too "girl-next-door". The same with my husband, also ten years sober. When people meet us they are always shocked about our history because we don't "look" the way they would imagine.

I don't know if Michael used drugs but I completely agree there is naivety when it comes to drug use. Kids experiment. My husband works with kids 12-17 getting them into rehab and these are "nice" "normal" looking kids, too. There are always pseudo-accidents as well. It can be as simple as someone twisting their ankle and having a friend say, oh I've got something that will really help. Boom.

RIP Michael. So sad and unnecessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations on ten years!! That's amazing, and I imagine not easy.

I think it's difficult to believe this kind of thing for many people, because we want to think that if our child/friend/parent/partner etc., was using, they would look like it. Same with how in lots of threads when people are trying to profile who would kill a child, they jump to someone homeless or unemployed, and so on. We all want to believe that if there's a problem, we will see it. That simply isn't the case. There are many drug users, addicts, child molesters, etc., who look like your average person or even appear to be extremely successful, wealthy, and good-looking.

Congratulations on ten years!! That's amazing, and I imagine not easy.

I think it's difficult to believe this kind of thing for many people, because we want to think that if our child/friend/parent/partner etc., was using, they would look like it. Same with how in lots of threads when people are trying to profile who would kill a child, they jump to someone homeless or unemployed, and so on. We all want to believe that if there's a problem, we will see it. That simply isn't the case. There are many drug users, addicts, child molesters, etc., who look like your average person or even appear to be extremely successful, wealthy, and good-looking.

Thank you!! And yes, we assume that they look a certain way, making those who don't appear threatening so much more dangerous.

I could easily see how young friends who are also drinking would think a 20 year old male would be perfectly capable of walking home, if he insists. They can't force him to get in their cars. I know it was raining, but it just doesn't seem like something that could happen in that short of distance. BUT it DID happen and next time they will probably think twice about it imo.

The problem is, alcohol is waaay too socially accepted. It's not recognized as the drug it is. So many, many young people are not fully aware of the absolute dangers that can be associated with using alcohol irresponsibly. It's too big a business. It's part of the fabric of our lives. Sad actually. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DA Determines Cause of Death for 20-Year-Old Man Who Went Missing After Party

"he Norfolk District Attorney's Office said 20-year-old Michael Doherty of Franklin died of hypothermia brought about by prolonged exposure to cold temperatures. Police do not believe foul play was involved, according to the district attorney's office."

I don't know if this report puts to rest the foul play theories, families and drug involvement, but IMO I hope so for all the victims of this tragedy who read here.

JMO

I'm not sure that the report of him passing from hypothermia dispels theories of foul play. Not that I particular believe that something nefarious happened, but the toxicology would tell the other part of the story. They should have the preliminary results in, so I'm sure the family knows. I'm not sure the public will be made aware of those test results, it really isn't any of our business, but it does help us to understand what may have happened.

I think a story like MD's just hits home to all of us, thus the concern and theories.

I'm not sure that the report of him passing from hypothermia dispels theories of foul play. Not that I particular believe that something nefarious happened, but the toxicology would tell the other part of the story. They should have the preliminary results in, so I'm sure the family knows. I'm not sure the public will be made aware of those test results, it really isn't any of our business, but it does help us to understand what may have happened.

I think a story like MD's just hits home to all of us, thus the concern and theories.

You have hit the nail on the head for me on several counts.
Got to say that I am surprised that hypothermia could have happened for a lot of reasons and I won't repeat what I've already posted, but mostly because it would seem MD succumbed to it fairly quickly since it would have been daylight in 3 - 3 1/2 hours tops. It appears he passed away soon after he left the party, if soon could be interpreted as in a couple of hours.

I also agree that prelim tox report is in and his family knows and that it isn't our business.
They are the only ones who need to be satisfied with the information on what led to their son's death.

Still, MD could be anyone's child, which is what resonates with parents posting here, I imagine.

So much about Michael's story just doesn't ring true or logical.
Again, I agree that, while hypothermia is what led to his death is what's been ruled, many other pieces don't fit.

RIP Michael Doherty.

Others here posted their experiences of walking home under impaired judgement, it happens.

As most agree he was an athlete, intelligent and young. Sometimes these things impair judgement and/or our own confidence allows us to do things that in retrospect wasn't all that smart.

I totally see him thinking he could make it home, he'd walked the trail one other time per his brother, he was young and strong and more than likely confident.

It's sad for families to not know how the death of a loved one impacted other individuals consequently resulting in better choices saving their life.

Folks, Michael's death has been ruled an accident. LE found no evidence of foul play.

The case is closed.

Rest in peace, Michael. :rose:

Duke Student’s Death In Franklin Ruled An Accident

The state medical examiner said the cause of the death was “hypothermia brought about by prolonged exposure to atmospheric cold.”

“We find no evidence of foul play in Mr. Doherty’s death,” Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said in a statement Friday. “Our thoughts are very much with the Doherty family as they grieve Michael and live through this tragic time.”

This thread is closed. Please remember Michael and his loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you.

Bessie
WS ADMINISTRATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads