MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as Julie Albert feeling the heat of defense cross in swoops Auntie Bev with an early recess. You can’t make this stuff up.
In defense of the judge, it wasn't an early recess. It had announced earlier that they would be ending at 12:30 today. And she's been ending exactly on time pretty much every day. It seems to be her M.O.

I'll say as a former juror that I appreciate knowing exactly when I'll be done with court each day rather than it being up in the air. It's not like you can text anyone and let them know that you'll be late when you're stuck sitting in the jury box.

Edit -
Listening to Emily D. Baker on youtube and she says that the stop actually benefits the defense. Tomorrow they'll be able to back and re-ask JA some of these questions, which will make it better stick in the minds of the jurors.

Last edited:
In defense of the judge, it wasn't an early recess. It had announced earlier that they would be ending at 12:30 today. And she's been ending exactly on time pretty much every day. It seems to be her M.O.

I'll say as a former juror that I appreciate knowing exactly when I'll be done with court each day rather than it being up in the air. It's not like you can text anyone and let them know that you'll be late when you're stuck sitting in the jury box.

Oh ok, I did miss that announcement then and had assumed it should be the usual 1 pm

I do hope they get to the "meat of the case" soon. There's been a lot of time wasted by the DA. However, I'm not so sure that the meat favors the commonwealth.

Testimony of the lead investigator - I suspect that this is going to be a calamity for the prosecution.

Taillight shards - This would seem to be the prosecution's strongest physical evidence. But the fact that they weren't found until 12 hours later and the inaccuracies (lies?) in Michael Proctor's police reports may blunt their effectiveness.

Wounds - JO's autopsy photos are what caused many people to doubt the commonwealth's version of events in the first place. The medical examiner is going to be vigorously cross-examined by the defense.

Accident reconstruction - The prosecution is going to need to explain how JO ended up on the lawn and not on the roadway. In fact, their theory of the case has changed from KR making a three-point turn to reversing at high-speed. Again, the cross-examination of the reconstructionist will be intense. A lot may depend on what was recovered from the Lexus data recorder.

John's cellphone - I think this mostly favors the prosecution but the Apple Health data says that he was going up and down stairs. This will be a battle of the experts.
I think you've outlined important areas.

I do think the phone will be pretty easy... if you have Apple Health - you know you can leave it on your desk all day and come back and check the next day and it will show a bit of activity... like maybe you "walked" 15 steps in the day or something. There is what I'll call "spurious" activity. Looking at my phone right now, it says I took 1(!) step between 7am and 8am. I did not. I was asleep!

BUT... that type of stuff looks WAY different than if you get out of a car, walk into a house, mill around a party, etc.. - continuing with my phone... I can see 22 steps where I carried my phone from the bedroom to my office and just as a test, I carried it from my office to the bathroom in back (I'm in a small-ish apartment) and it registered another 56.

If the data shows dozens of steps happening after 1am... 1:30am... etc. I'm totally re-thinking this case. But, if the data shows his movement stopping around 12:30am... his phone was found with him... that's when he was killed.

But, if the data shows his movement stopping around 12:30am... his phone was found with him... that's when he was killed.
RSBM.

This is going to be the bone of contention. I believe the prosecution claims that 12:30 is when JO was dropped off. But from some of the defense questioning yesterday they were trying to establish that JO & KR left the Waterfall at midnight and were just a few minutes from 34 Fairview. So by 12:30 she had already dropped him off and left the area.

I have no idea which version of events is true.

Here's the CourtTV timeline of events, but it doesn't prove anything one way or the other:
  • 12:00 a.m. The Waterfall Bar & Grille closes. The Alberts invite everyone to their house on Fairview Rd.
  • 12:14 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls John O’Keefe to give him directions to the Albert home.
  • 12:15 a.m. Jennifer and Matthew McCabe and Ryan Nagel say they see Read’s car outside the home.
  • 12:15 a.m. Caitlin Albert leaves the Albert home for the night.
  • 12:27 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Here?!”
  • 12:29 a.m. O’Keefe answers a call from Jennifer McCabe.
  • 12:30 a.m. Witnesses say Colin Albert leaves the Albert residence.
  • 12:31 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O”Keefe: “Pull behind me”
  • 12:40 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”
  • 12:42 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Where are u”
  • 12:45 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”

I haven't looked the CourtTV timeline until just now.

Can someone explain to me this bit I have bolded:

• 5:00 a.m. Julie Albert told investigators she missed a call from Jennifer McCabe at this time but that it was through the call she learned that O’Keefe was dead. She later told a grand jury she learned he was dead.
  • 5:07 a.m. O’Keefe’s driveway camera shows Read’s car backing out of the driveway. Read meets Jennifer McCabe and Roberts at McCabe’s house. Roberts drives Read and Jennifer McCabe to the Albert residence.
  • 6:00 a.m. Read, Jennifer McCabe and Roberts arrive at the Albert residence.
  • 6:04 a.m. Read calls 911. Canton Police Officers Saraf and Mullaney arrive within minutes, followed by emergency services.
JA misses a call from JM telling her O'keefe is dead? At 5am?

• 5:00 a.m. Julie Albert told investigators she missed a call from Jennifer McCabe at this time but that it was through the call she learned that O’Keefe was dead. She later told a grand jury she learned he was dead.
  • 5:07 a.m. O’Keefe’s driveway camera shows Read’s car backing out of the driveway. Read meets Jennifer McCabe and Roberts at McCabe’s house. Roberts drives Read and Jennifer McCabe to the Albert residence.
  • 6:04 a.m. Read calls 911. Canton Police Officers Saraf and Mullaney arrive within minutes, followed by emergency services.
JS misses a call from JM telling her O'keefe is dead? At 5am?
Interesting themonk….. granted I don’t know this case well, but appears to indicate IMO that someone was aware of JOK death ~1 hour before a call was made to 911? Or maybe I am misreading this and do not understand.

Also makes me wonder if the prosecution might have brought this case too soon? And before being fully investigated? And yet, maybe that was deliberate too? I best stop typing here. MOO

Interesting themonk….. granted I don’t know this case well, but appears to indicate IMO that someone was aware of JOK death ~1 hour before a call was made to 911? Or maybe I am misreading this and do not understand.

Also makes me wonder if the prosecution might have brought this case too soon? And before fully investigated? And yet, maybe that was deliberate? I best stop typing here. MOO
I can't say exactly what the timeline suggests. Maybe CourtTV goofed somehow.

It is weirdly worded though, and yes, makes it sound like JM was aware that JO was dead and then pretended to 'help' look for him?

I don't know what to make of it.

Happy to be corrected if I am misinterpreting what is presented in the timeline.

RSBM.

This is going to be the bone of contention. I believe the prosecution claims that 12:30 is when JO was dropped off. But from some of the defense questioning yesterday they were trying to establish that JO & KR left the Waterfall at midnight and were just a few minutes from 34 Fairview. So by 12:30 she had already dropped him off and left the area.

Here's the CourtTV timeline of events, but it doesn't prove anything one way or the other:
  • 12:00 a.m. The Waterfall Bar & Grille closes. The Alberts invite everyone to their house on Fairview Rd.
  • 12:14 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls John O’Keefe to give him directions to the Albert home.
  • 12:15 a.m. Jennifer and Matthew McCabe and Ryan Nagel say they see Read’s car outside the home.
Had the police pulled video off the Ring cameras in the neighborhood, much of this could be answered. Alas ...

RSBM.

There is sureveillance footage for the first half of this that narrows down the timeline a bit. Quoting directly from the Commonwealth's Memorandum:

12:11am - the victim walks out at approximately 12:11 a.m., carrying a short cocktail glass
in his right hand, meet up with the defendant, and then the two walk together toward Washington Street
*it appeared to have just begun snowing with a light coating on the ground and cars within the parking lot
12:15am - observed a large black SUV, consistent with the defendant’s Lexus, traveling on Washington Street and continue toward the Temple
12:17am - a large black SUV traveling by the building toward the intersection of Washington and Dedham Streets, in the direction of Fairview Road

The prosecution's data continues to say at 12:19am O'Keefe's phone pings in neighborhood near the Fairview house for the first time. At 12:20am O'Keefe's phone conducts WAZE search for the 34 Fairview address.

"The native locations then depicts Mr. O’Keefe’s phone traveling on Dedham Street and arriving at the residence at 12:24:34 a.m."
"A check of the location data in Axiom shows the last location at 34 Fairview Road and speed meters/seconds at 12:25:36a.m. with a speed of .6346 m/s."

Open to other interpretations but that data suggests that O'Keefe would have been hit nearly immediately after exiting the vehicle. And before any of JM's texts where she claimed to be looking at the car.

Last edited:
"Earlier J Albert said they talked very rarely in the time period.
Yannetti says it was over 60 times.

Do you recall talking to C Proctor for 12 minutes on Jan 29.
I don’t remember."

I wonder what the jury will make of this. I'd say 60 times is a lot, but J. Albert said "very rarely". Also, interesting to think of why they spoke on Jan 29.

JA misses a call from JM telling her O'keefe is dead? At 5am?
UPDATED COMMENT BELOW - post 659

I think that's just a big mistake from CourtTV.

Her testimony today: "The next morning, Julie Albert said she woke up around 8 a.m. and went to Dunkin' to buy donuts for her nephew Brian Albert Jr. for his birthday. She noticed a missed call from her friend Jennifer McCabe on her phone from 5:55 a.m., but no voicemail or text message."

Last edited:
I don't know how 'official' the timeline is, and my apologies, I am only just looking at it now and maybe this is well known by everyone but it this is weird too:

• 6:24 a.m. Sgt. Michael Lank arrives.
  • 7:59 a.m. O’Keefe is pronounced dead at Good Samaritan Hospital.
  • 8:30 a.m. Julie Albert tells a grand jury she arrived at Fairview Rd residence at this time to drop off a birthday dessert for Brian Jr. and learns that O’Keefe is dead.
  • 9:00 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls Sgt. Lank and asks him to return to the Fairview Rd residence so she can add information to her statement. Lank returned, and McCabe tells him she recalls Read saying, “I hope I didn’t hit him,” while she was driving around with Roberts looking for O’Keefe.
So both Lank and JM are both there at 6:24am and then it is only at 9am that JM calls Lank and asks him to return so she can give him the 'I hope I didn't hit him quote'?

Why not tell Lank that when at 34 Fairview at 6:30 am or whatever? He's already right there!
What happened between when Lank was there and when JM called him to come back?

Sorry if this has all been said before lol

"Earlier J Albert said they talked very rarely in the time period.
Yannetti says it was over 60 times.

Do you recall talking to C Proctor for 12 minutes on Jan 29.
I don’t remember."

I wonder what the jury will make of this. I'd say 60 times is a lot, but J. Albert said "very rarely". Also, interesting to think of why they spoke on Jan 29.
I think tomorrow we're going to have Yannetti go through each major development in the case and see that it corresponds with a long call between the two women.

It doesn't look great for Julie Albert, but IMO it looks even worse for Elizabeth Proctor. Even if they weren't passing information back and forth, there's no reason for the wife of a cop to be gossiping about a case he's investigating with the relative of witnesses to that case.

Plus, we know that Jen McCabe was actually at the Proctor residence on at least one occasion. It's all very suspect.

I think that's just a big mistake from CourtTV.

Her testimony today: "The next morning, Julie Albert said she woke up around 8 a.m. and went to Dunkin' to buy donuts for her nephew Brian Albert Jr. for his birthday. She noticed a missed call from her friend Jennifer McCabe on her phone from 5:55 a.m., but no voicemail or text message."
I stand corrected, @themonk - From the interview with Chris and Julie Albert on Feb 10, 2022: "Julie told us that she was asleep at 4:55am on January 29th, 2022 when her phone woke her up and it was Jen's missed call, and that is how she found out about John dying. When asked, both Julie and Chris told us John did not have any injuries to his face during the evening at the Waterfall, to include tears and rips on his clothing."

This is very different than her testimony today. Even the time of the call is off by an hour.

*if* he truly never entered the house, we shouldn’t discount that Albert family owns multiple ford edges.
It’s been stated that JO had run-ins with one of the Albert’s kids.
There was a speculation of one of those kids attending the party. The fight could have happened in the yard before JO ever enters or is about to enter.

It was also stated today that JO was very tidy and particular about no shoes in the house. Was the Albert household also the type to leave shoes in the foyer bc the weather causes mud?
What if JO started to enter the house, started to take his shoes off, got in a scuffle with someone, dog reacted, bit him, he falls and hits the back of his head, loses his hat, others got involved, throw him out, dies from head injury/hypothermia.

In all this, it wouldn’t be inappropriate to assume he held on to the glass as a form of defense.

BUT, we will probably never know, because the house wasn’t searched, others weren’t looked at for injuries, witnesses weren’t separated.
All we have is altered reports, a leaf blower and solo cups in stop n shop brown bag.
Horrible shame. Shoe could of been lost in the house and if it was, long destroyed. Don't know/remember if the house ever was searched, blood trace device, things like that, but prob not and any and all ways would of been used in ridding any kind of evidence. The dog is gone, a part of a floor is replaced, (tho could be a repair, can't tell). It would of been long after and prob. useless. I meant searched etc by FBI only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim