MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are screenshots from boston.com and it is interesting to compare the contents IMO.

In one you have Chris recounting how Julie came into the bedroom the morning after and was all 'something happened to JO' and Chris was 'in shock'.

And then in the other, you have Julie picking up the traditional MA donut offering, getting to 34 Fariview and then acting surprised to find everyone looking upset and Julie is all like 'what's going on' and behaving like this is the first she has heard of it.

So which is it Chris and Julie?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.17.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.17.11 PM.png
    267 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.16.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.16.20 PM.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 25
These are screenshots from boston.com and it is interesting to compare the contents IMO.

In one you have Chris recounting how Julie came into the bedroom the morning after and was all 'something happened to JO' and Chris was 'in shock'.

And then in the other, you have Julie picking up the traditional MA donut offering, getting to 34 Fariview and then acting surprised to find everyone looking upset and Julie is all like 'what's going on' and behaving like this is the first she has heard of it.

So which is it Chris and Julie?
I feel like I should just link today's testimony.... but here is what happened.

She got up. Went to get donuts. Went to 34 Fairview. Found out about JO. Went home. Told Chris.

#KarenRead Here's the connection the defense is making: Owner of house where O'Keefe died is ex police officer Brian Albert. Brian has a brother Chris, who is married to Julie, who is friends with Courtney Proctor, who is the sister of Michael Proctor, the lead investigator.

Most likely, ought to wait until snow plower is on the stand, but here goes. If I am on this jury, I dont think I’d consider the snow plower’s testimony credible. Just because snow plower didn’t see body doesnt mean it wasn’t there. moo

Whatever the phone records say is what happened... were they introduced into evidence? I missed some parts. RE: time of the call - She clearly said "maybe" in her testimony, today... indicating she didn't remember the exact time of the recorded missed call.

What you are referencing is not a statement from her. It is a summary written by the officer (very clearly stated in the document) of information exchanged in an interview.
Fair enough. Here is one more Summary written by a trooper - from 2/1/22 - in which Jen McCabe says after getting a call from O’Keefe’s niece/Karen Read (which we know happened at 4:53am): “Jen thought perhaps he was with a friend. Jen said she checked with Julie Albert to see if he had gone to their house.”

Both women confirmed communication about O’Keefe around 5am in their initial interviews. Why has that changed so drastically?

Last edited:
Most likely, ought to wait until snow plower is on the stand, but here goes. If I am on this jury, I dont think I’d consider the snow plower’s testimony credible. Just because snow plower didn’t see body doesnt mean it wasn’t there. moo
I think the plow driver is credible, in that I don't believe he's lying or looking for fame. He was interviewed by KR's PI as well as the FBI very shortly after John died, long before this case became infamous and probably soon enough after that night that his memory was still fresh. He doesn't seem to have any direct ties to any of the big players.

Whether or not his recollection is accurate, I'll wait and see until he's on the stand and how he responds to the questions from both sides.

I'll add that It's interesting that it took the state until August 2023 to interview the plow driver, long after they learned of his existence. There's a transcript out there of his interview (they didn't bother to record any other interviews). The state investigators didn't really ask him very many questions about the night in question. They seemed to mostly be pumping him for information on the FBI investigation as well as his conversation with Turtleboy.

So Brian Higgins, he who was up till who knows when, 'working" since 1:30 am, after a night of drinking with his good buddy Brian Albert...is miraculously up and at em...in a snowstorm/blizzard at the Albert home at 8:30-9:00 am...visiting with his friend?

Come on ! What is the secret with this dude?

Is it me only, or has this trial spent too much time on the practical jokes, powerful family w/connections, etc testimony? The jokes, family stuff, all typical. Apparently, some of the witnesses are on trial too.

I’d like to see the trial move forward with more of the forensics, electronics, digital technology, etc. Not so much about a snow plower unless that person actually saw what happened. Thus far, this trial has moved no where.

Maybe CW will provide a reenactment of what may have happened with the vehicle using a mannequin?

The juror have got to be bored!

moo

I think the plow driver is credible, in that I don't believe he's lying or looking for fame. He was interviewed by KR's PI as well as the FBI very shortly after John died, long before this case became infamous and probably soon enough after that night that his memory was still fresh. He doesn't seem to have any direct ties to any of the big players.

Whether or not his recollection is accurate, I'll wait and see until he's on the stand and how he responds to the questions from both sides.

I'll add that It's interesting that it took the state until August 2023 to interview the plow driver, long after they learned of his existence. There's a transcript out there of his interview (they didn't bother to record any other interviews). The state investigators didn't really ask him very many questions about the night in question. They seemed to mostly be pumping him for information on the FBI investigation as well as his conversation with Turtleboy.
I dont think snow plower person lied at all or is looking for fame. AK has got the fame part covered. moo;)

Is it me only, or has this trial spent too much time on the practical jokes, powerful family w/connections, etc testimony? The jokes, family stuff, all typical. Apparently, some of the witnesses are on trial too.

I’d like to see the trial move forward with more of the forensics, electronics, digital technology, etc. Not so much about a snow plower unless that person actually saw what happened. Thus far, this trial has moved no where.

Maybe CW will provide a reenactment of what may have happened with the vehicle using a mannequin?

The juror have got to be bored!

moo

I agree. But the weird thing is that the prosecution is calling these people. Why did they need Chris and Julie's testimony today? Nothing they said on direct helped establish Karen's guilt beyond what the other bar patrons had already testified to. Of course once they're called the defense is going to use the opportunity to advance their counter-narrative.

If the prosecution has a case to make, they need to go make it. They certainly haven't done so to date. What are they afraid of?

As you say, let's see the evidence!

#KarenRead Here's the connection the defense is making: Owner of house where O'Keefe died is ex police officer Brian Albert. Brian has a brother Chris, who is married to Julie, who is friends with Courtney Proctor, who is the sister of Michael Proctor, the lead investigator.

Or, put another way... Michael Proctor, the lead investigator on this case, the one who made terribly inappropriate comments about what he'd like to find but didn't on the defendant's phone and who violated her rights, is married to Courtney Proctor. Courtney is good friends with Julie Albert, so much so that CP was willing to risk perjuring herself not to admit that connection. The victim, O'Keefe, died on the front lawn of Julie Albert's brother's home. Have I got that right?

So Julie picked up the donuts, went to 34 Fairview, went back home, told Chris something had happened to JO and then they both returned to 34 Fairview? Happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood.
Yes, as all over as it sounds, that’s what they’re claiming. I just linked Jen McCabe’s initial interview in a comment further down and she also said she called, and spoke with, Julie Albert about John O’Keefe right after KR/niece called her at 4:53am. Julie Albert changed her story.

Or, put another way... Michael Proctor, the lead investigator on this case, the one who made terribly inappropriate comments about what he'd like to find but didn't on the defendant's phone and who violated her rights, is married to Courtney Proctor. Courtney is good friends with Julie Albert, so much so that CP was willing to risk perjuring herself not to admit that connection. The victim, O'Keefe, died on the front lawn of Julie Albert's brother's home. Have I got that right?
I need a spreadsheet -- this is a family reunion trial -- my head is spinning -- Julie is married to Chris who is Brian's brother. moo ;)

JOK died in the front of BA's property at that time.

Last edited:
Brian Albert Jr. is the son of Brian Albert. The gathering at the Alberts’ home the night of Jan. 28 was for his birthday.

Chris Albert is Brian Albert’s brother. He also serves on the Canton Select Board. He has testified that he was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Chris was neighbors with John O'Keefe, Boston Magazine reported.

Julie Albert is Chris Albert's wife. She has testified that she was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Colin Albert is the son of Chris and Julie Albert. Read’s defense team says that Colin was at the Canton home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three that Read’s lawyer said had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.”

Prosecutors have said that Colin had left his uncle’s home before O’Keefe and Read arrived.

Kevin Albert is Brian’s brother. He serves in the Canton Police Department as a detective.

Brian Higgins is an agent for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. He was reportedly at the Fairview Road home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three who Read’s defense team says had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.” Higgins was reportedly a friend of Brian Albert.

The Commonwealth stated that the defense's statements about Higgins lacked evidence and made for a "fanciful" story.

Jennifer McCabe is Brian's sister-in-law. McCabe was part of the group that was out drinking the night of Jan. 28. The defense has long alleged that McCabe used her phone to search "Hos [sic] long to die in cold" around 2:30 a.m. -- something prosecutors have claimed she actually searched hours later, after O'Keefe had been found.

Michael Proctor is a Massachusetts State Police trooper who led the investigation in the Read case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member