MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BienickWCVB

David Yannetti begins cross-examination of Nagel. She wasn't questioned by Tpr Proctor until several months later.

Yannetti is trying to make the point that Nagel is close to the Albert/McCabe family. "You actually pet-sat for the McCabe's golden doodle, Bailey?" Yannetti asks. She did.

12:36 PM · May 14, 2024
This makes it all the more interesting why she avoided Chloe that night. If she's a true "dog person" she'd at least try to greet Chloe, get in a few head scratches while Chloe passes by on her way to the back yard. I think Julie was afraid of Chloe.

I think they forgot to invite Julie Nagel to the "keep your mouth shut" party. Prosecutors just spoke to her for the first time last week and it looks like they didn't do enough prep work on her.

She did say it was a square table also, didn't she?
Because that was important.....
( I think I heard it described as square three times today )

Neither Sarah or Julie have mentioned what made them change their minds about staying later at the Albert's that night. Julie testified that she contacted her brother to come get them and then met him at his truck outside when he pulled up and said she was going to stay longer. I hope they ask her why she decided to change her mind and why she didn't notify her brother earlier - like when he was on the way to get her - that her plans changed.

I don’t understand what’s going on here, the prosecution is going to bore the jury, and that’s not good for them. It feels like most of what we’ve heard could’ve been covered in half the time. Anyone know how much longer they’re going to be presenting? They need to move on to more…important? topics to get this moving. I’m impatient to get to the defense’s turn.

I think Julie Nagel really hurt the prosecution today; her testimony was a train wreck. When Lally asked her why she didn't want to give a statement to the defense attorneys before trial and she said she knew her rights and didn't have to speak to them -- it was all over.
Sarah Levinson is the one who said she knew her rights and didn’t choose to speak to the defense.

... and look at me when you're done

more intimidation of a witness

moo
That is said by both prosecution and defense, it is the signal that the witness has finished looking at whatever it is.

Perhaps he should say “look up at the ceiling fan when you’re done?” Haha (since that’s where the camera goes when court goes on break.)

Agree with her a lot, especially how many of them were in LE or closely related to someone in LE. Though I guess those scenarios may make one more likely to drive drunk due to thinking they can get out of any trouble or I knew a local cop here who when I was younger I could call him and he would tell me where that night's DUI checkpoints were and where to stay away from. MOO.
I think they all felt entitled to do whatever, including drive drunk/underage drinking at their houses etc.
Chris sending pictures of himself and his wife on JO's lawn while he is on vacation taunting him, ""See John - no fence is keeping us out" is another one. These people seeming have no respect for others, the law or "boundaries" - physical or otherwise.
They were Albert's or Friends of the Albert''s, and they all felt they had an invisible shield to protect them from consequences.
And maybe they did, for years. Seems it' s all coming full circle.
I was amazed at the attitude gushing from Nagle but actually had to kind of respect it. She was honest about being
intoxicated and kind of owned being a tough chick. Credit for that.
This really is a rough and tumble crowd.
And yet... that all may be so interestlingly suspicious... BUT still no evidence that Karen ran over and killed her boyfriend John O'Keefe.
Its still Crickets on that front -
JMO

Not really. In fact - it kind of slid in quickly - but the boyfriend testified she said she didn't want to be snowed in at the house... and that he just went to go get her because she was 'high maintenance' and it wasn't worth it to argue (sic).

It's literally the most believable thing, ever.

The boyfriend was a bit obnoxious with the times. Obviously, one would know the difference between 5pm and 5am. On the other hand, if it actually mattered, the defense could've certainly nailed him down with phone records, etc.. to a tighter time.

This is an example of how the defense wants to put questions out there... but certainly doesn't want to give answers... because for them - it's not about the answers, they just want to give a sense of evasiveness.

I don't think the whole "did you see... red plastic, black hat, etc." shtick was all that convincing.
The prosecution could clear up any sense of evasiveness on re-direct. Or they could have asked the questions on direct so the defense didn’t have any chance to create a sense of evasiveness. Why isn’t the prosecution doing this is my question.

@BienickWCVB

David Yannetti begins cross-examination of Nagel. She wasn't questioned by Tpr Proctor until several months later.

Yannetti is trying to make the point that Nagel is close to the Albert/McCabe family. "You actually pet-sat for the McCabe's golden doodle, Bailey?" Yannetti asks. She did.

12:36 PM · May 14, 2024
He wasn’t trying to make the point that she is close to the family. He was (correctly) making the point that she lied 60 seconds before when she said she didn’t think she’d ever been in their house, when clearly she has.

All the family/friends' testimony sounds Hinky to me, especially Brian Albert Sr. However, difficult to believe O'Keefe was actually in that house and every witness (12 or more?) has colluded in their lies to deny he was there. Can you imagine all the conspiracy meetings they would have had to prep for court.

All the family/friends' testimony sounds Hinky to me, especially Brian Albert Sr. However, difficult to believe O'Keefe was actually in that house and every witness (12 or more?) has colluded in their lies to deny he was there. Can you imagine all the conspiracy meetings they would have had to prep for court.

Why yes! Yes I can! At those same meetings, I can be sure that the subject of 'You didn't actually see exactly when and how, in what vehicle with whom and through which door Colin Albert left, did you?' came up also. Funny that

They’ve gone on multiple trips over the years and were at a baby shower 6 months before O’Keefe’s death. They are clearly much closer than “I went to high school with someone with that name.” Which is why it’s so bizarre they’re trying to distance themselves so hard. It’s more of an indictment on the prosecution than the defense, IMO.

The judge wouldn’t allow the photos to be shown to the jury so I’m unsure why you’d expect the defense could bring up witnesses to testify about the friendship lol.
The judge is more likely to allow witnesses than the photos at this point, because she wants verification of the time and date the photo was taken. It can be manipulated too easily and the source is social media for the baby shower photo, so that’s why she wouldn’t allow that one.

Quick question: When Julie Albert was testifying, why didn't defense ask her about the text message she sent to Courtney Proctor saying she wanted to buy Courtney's brother (Michael Proctor) a gift when this was all over?

Will defense call Julie back to the stand?
Probably because cross is limited to the substance of direct because it is the Prosecution's case in chief. The Defense can also call her during their case. That's when all of that will be explored. The Judge has been strictly limiting the defense's questioning of witnesses, as you may have noticed.

And even during the defense's case presentation I assume the Judge will continue to limit questioning probably based on prior decisions about the defense's ability to present SOGDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member