MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the new bit is that the dark blob was 5-6 feet in length. Also, the first time she told anyone about the blob was eight months after JO's death.
It's the first time someone has testified to seeing something there in the trial. The defense attorney said it was the first time any law enforcement spoken to her. She agreed with defense counsel that Mass State Police didn't interview her until months later. This witness never testified at a grand jury or at a hearing. She explained that the detail about the size of the object seemed new because LE or attorneys hadn't asked her to describe it before today.

I don't recall the witness testifying that she never told anyone she saw something after that night. She wasn't asked that, AFAIK. She said she saw something at the time to the people in the car. Her friend testified JN said something that caused her to turn and look out the window, but they were several houses away when she looked. Late at night, in an unlit area, in poor visibility conditions, shadows can play tricks. She had been drinking. There was no reason for her to think this was something that needed attention. But I imagine that since that night, she's had to deal with knowing she saw something but she didn't react and someone's life might have been saved if she recognized what it was.

Witness saw "a black blob" while leaving home​

Nagel was the next witness called after Levinson stepped down. She said at one point she saw a black SUV outside the home, something that Brian Albert Jr. also testified Monday that he saw.

Karen Read was driving a black Lexus SUV at the time O'Keefe died.

"Looking out the window I noticed the SUV in front of the mailbox. Then it pulled up a little in front of the yard. Then it pulled up a little in front of the flagpole," Nagel testified, adding that she never saw anyone get out of the SUV.

Nagel said she noticed something on the ground near the flagpole in the front yard of the house while the group drove away. That is the area where O'Keefe's body was found.

"I noticed something out of the ordinary … like a black blob on the ground," Nagel testified. She said that she was intoxicated, and it was too quick to determine what exactly she had seen. She said what she saw was "five or six feet long."

On cross-examination, Nagel says the first time she told anyone this observation in an official capacity was in an interview with Massachusetts State Police Trooper Michael Proctor in October 2022.

"You've never mentioned that this black object was five or six feet long until the last hour or so when Mr. Lally questioned you about it, correct?" Yannetti asked. Nagel answered yes.

Prosecutors have previously accused Proctor of being compromised because of personal ties in the case. Proctor is currently under internal investigation by state police after they said they are looking into "a potential violation of department policy." Proctor denied any wrongdoing and remains on full duty during the investigation.

"You did not think that you saw a person that was in trouble, correct?" Yannetti asked. Nagel said she did not.

"You did not see a body on that lawn did you?" Yannetti later asked. "I don't know what I saw, but I saw an object," Nagel responded.

Testimony concluded for the day Tuesday and will resume with Nagel on the stand Wednesday morning.

Read's attorneys also said they expect a DNA expert to testify before some more witnesses from 34 Fairview on Wednesday.

Karen Read murder trial witness says she saw "black blob" on Brian Albert's Canton lawn
Idk about anyone else, but referring to possible JO’s body as “a black blob” gives me the ick.
Every time I hear or see it feels so disrespectful. Can’t imagine what his parents feel hearing that.
I get it is a direct quote from basically a kid, but it lacks sensitivity and should be rephrased when possible (media).

ETA- and of course, as I post my comment the phrase couldn’t be any bigger in a quoted comment. UGH

Fact: The individual jurors in this trial each had more questioning, before Tristan M...an eyewitness to the crime scene did. He was never interviewed or questioned by LE. He first met with anyone associated with this case ( lally) one week ago today. The trial had started by then.

Hopefully that fact didn't slip by the jury.
What a mess

This to me makes her sound even more innocent. Like someone else said, it makes her look bad, and it’s not the kind of thing you want others to hear. If she really HAD hit him we’d be hearing multiple simpering messages like “Where are you honey, call me, I love you!”

You know the type, we hear them countless times from men who kill their wives or SO and then love bomb their phone with sweet messages.
When she left the “hate you” message, she did not know anything had happened to him. IMO.
Karen Read did not care. She hit him and left the scene. John O'Keefe froze to death because of her and she knows it. No doubt in my mind they were arguing while in the car when parked for 5 min at the curb of 34 Fairview. I believe she pulled down towards the flagpole, on purpose and with ill intent, so no one in the house could see it happen.

It's been proven in court that he did not enter the house. It's impractical to think he was, somehow without any people at the party seeing him come inside, immediately ushered into the basement so they could kill him. Then, John holds his arm out so the dog can scratch him. Then, they drag his body out of the cellar doors to the flagpole. It's a laughable theory.

MOO
The best is yet to come! Justice for Police Officer John O'Keefe!

One thing to go out and insert himself into the investigation but it's a whole other thing to not even bother to go outside and check-up on a supposed friend and colleague who is laying dead on your front lawn, who had been invited over to your house the night before. That's just completely odd to me. He asked no questions? Showed no concern for JO or KR. I'd at least what to get some answers to the 1001 questions I'd have if one of the people I had been out with the night before was found dead on my property. Add in all the other strange behavior and it's no wonder why so many are asking questions.
Yes. That would be unconscionable. But how can you check on something you are unaware of?

What do you mean that Brian showed no concern for JOK or KR? Only Jennifer McCabe and her husband had any idea that John O'Keefe and Karen Read might come over. Jen talked to Karen outside the bar about it, and then John texted with Jen about directions from their car. Brian and Nicole Albert testified they would have been welcome but they were not expecting them.

John was a friend of Jennifer's. Jennifer saw Karen's car idling outside the Alberts. She called and texted John asking if they were coming in. But nobody came in and the car left. She'd just figure they called it a night. Others in the group socializing at the bar didn't end up going to the Alberts either. Nobody inside the house had any reason to think someone was injured outside and lying in the cold.

Not sure I saw this mentioned already but did anyone else notice Yanetti asked Caitlin Albert if she’d taken Chloe back to her home in Easton when she summoned her BF to come pick her up. It’s almost telling because Yanetti only asked Caitlin Albert this question so it’ll be interesting when defense up if he has information this question alludes to. It certainly would explain the seeming change of plans for her BF Tristan ro return to Cantom to retrieve her.

I agree that's why Brian did not go outside, Wishbone. But a few details in our answer are wrong. There are so many people to keep track of!

It was Brian's sister-in-law on the other side, his wife's sister Jennifer McCabe, who woke Brian and Nicole up by coming into their bedroom to tell them police wanted to speak to them. Jennifer McCabe drove Karen Read around to search; she did not bring doughnuts. Brian, Nicole, and Jen went downstairs to talk to the police officers. Brian knocked on Jr.'s door on his way downstairs.

John O'Keefe had already been transported to the hospital before McCabe woke up the Alberts. I'm not sure any fire personnel where still there, from what I recall from various first responders testifying. I don't think Karen Read and the other friend were still outside then either.

Much later in the morning, around 8:30 I think, Julie Albert (Brian's brother Chris's wife) stopped by the driveway to put half a dozen doughnuts in her nephew's car. Julie was not aware anything had happened. She wasn't planning to go in to the house, just drop off the card and present, and get to whatever she was going to do next.

Brian's actions were proper. The victim had been transported. A few police were on scene investigating, and 2 of the officers were there to talk to the residents when he got downstairs. As a professional first responder, Brian understood he had no role in the investigation going on outside. If he'd woken up earlier and could have rendered aid to the victim or assisted first responders trying to save his life, that would've been different. As one of the detectives said, saving a life is always the priority over preserving a crime scene.

The wild speculation about Brian and his relatives has been remarkable. The victim's mother and brother have been jeered and harangued when they attended hearings. Police and firefighters are being accused in court by the defense of planting evidence and tampering with evidence. And that's without Brian having gone outside to examine the spot where John had been lying. Can you imagine the furor there'd be now if he had inserted himself into the investigation by going outside? Yikes! Many believe seem to believe Michael Proctor was too close to the witnesses to investigate the death impartial, and Proctor was not involved directly in the victim's death nor had he been socializing with the victim in the hours before he died. Brian had been with the victim hours earlier. IMO, Brian acted professionally and responsibly that morning by not interfering in the collection of evidence and initial investigation. If he'd gone outside, he'd be accused on compromising the investigation directly.

Lol, I had JM at first as the one who woke him up and then for some reason I changed it to Chris's wife JA.I'm starting to post like the state's witnesses testify. I am having a real time with all these different initials and the many players in this sad trial.

Idk about anyone else, but referring to possible JO’s body as “a black blob” gives me the ick.
Every time I hear or see it feels so disrespectful. Can’t imagine what his parents feel hearing that.
I get it is a direct quote from basically a kid, but it lacks sensitivity and should be rephrased when possible (media).

ETA- and of course, as I post my comment the phrase couldn’t be any bigger in a quoted comment. UGH
She is a kid, and if this is what she said, it is better to repeat verbatim or close to the initial phrase

Karen Read did not care. She hit him and left the scene. John O'Keefe froze to death because of her and she knows it. No doubt in my mind they were arguing while in the car when parked for 5 min at the curb of 34 Fairview. I believe she pulled down towards the flagpole, on purpose and with ill intent, so no one in the house could see it happen.

It's been proven in court that he did not enter the house. It's impractical to think he was, somehow without any people at the party seeing him come inside, immediately ushered into the basement so they could kill him. Then, John holds his arm out so the dog can scratch him. Then, they drag his body out of the cellar doors to the flagpole. It's a laughable theory.

MOO
The best is yet to come! Justice for Police Officer John O'Keefe!

So far all I've seen proved is that it snowed and the drunk door monitors did not see everyone enter and leave the house. Oh, and many of the state's witnesses lied. JMO

It's the first time someone has testified to seeing something there in the trial. The defense attorney said it was the first time any law enforcement spoken to her. She agreed with defense counsel that Mass State Police didn't interview her until months later. This witness never testified at a grand jury or at a hearing. She explained that the detail about the size of the object seemed new because LE or attorneys hadn't asked her to describe it before today.

I don't recall the witness testifying that she never told anyone she saw something after that night. She wasn't asked that, AFAIK. She said she saw something at the time to the people in the car. Her friend testified JN said something that caused her to turn and look out the window, but they were several houses away when she looked. Late at night, in an unlit area, in poor visibility conditions, shadows can play tricks. She had been drinking. There was no reason for her to think this was something that needed attention. But I imagine that since that night, she's had to deal with knowing she saw something but she didn't react and someone's life might have been saved if she recognized what it was.

The whole attitude of "well I never mentioned it because no one asked me" is very odd to me. Personally, once I realized the importance of what I saw that night I would be calling the cops immediately. It would have been enormously helpful in fixing the timeline and determining what happened to JO. Unfortunately, her eight month delay in reporting this has caused people to doubt the veracity of her testimony. If KR goes free, it will be at least in part because the jury didn't believe her.

And apparently, if you take her at her word, Proctor never asked her to describe what she saw, since the first time she mentioned its size (at least in any official capacity) was today during the trial. That doesn't say a lot for the police investigation, does it?

If I remember correctly his sister-in-law, Chris's wife, burst into his bedroom and told him what had happened. She was there supposedly to deliver the traditional birthday donuts to BA jr. JO's body had already been removed and BA did not want to interfere with an investigation so he stayed inside.

Different sister-in-law. Chris's wife Julie is the one who brought the six donuts closer to 8 am. It was Jen McCabe who allegedly burst into the room. She also called her sister Nicole sometime before this, and Nicole answered and there was a 17 second call. But Nicole says she never answered any calls so the phone company's records must be wrong. Righty-O, Coco.

Different sister-in-law. Chris's wife Julie is the one who brought the six donuts closer to 8 am. It was Jen McCabe who allegedly burst into the room. She also called her sister Nicole sometime before this, and Nicole answered and there was a 17 second call. But Nicole says she never answered any calls so the phone company's records must be wrong. Righty-O, Coco.
It was JM and I changed it to JA for some silly reason.

If you think that's a laughable theory, wait until you hear the state's proposed version of events!

<modsnip - quoted post was opinion piece, not article>

I think the FKR group is all about the FKR group. Actions speak louder than words, and they care more about being “right” than anything or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. That would be unconscionable. But how can you check on something you are unaware of?

What do you mean that Brian showed no concern for JOK or KR? Only Jennifer McCabe and her husband had any idea that John O'Keefe and Karen Read might come over. Jen talked to Karen outside the bar about it, and then John texted with Jen about directions from their car. Brian and Nicole Albert testified they would have been welcome but they were not expecting them.

John was a friend of Jennifer's. Jennifer saw Karen's car idling outside the Alberts. She called and texted John asking if they were coming in. But nobody came in and the car left. She'd just figure they called it a night. Others in the group socializing at the bar didn't end up going to the Alberts either. Nobody inside the house had any reason to think someone was injured outside and lying in the cold.

C'mon. There is a police officer in his home and all of a sudden there is ambulance, fire-truck and police vehicles outside his home and he just willfully ignores EVERYTHING????? Sorry. Not buying that at all.

His colleagues are in his front yard. He and his entire family that is in the house including his dog, that allegedly hates people, are completely unawares as to what is going on out on the street just yards away from the house and don't even so much as crack their front door to see what all the commotion is about??? That in and of itself is weird. And that's before he even knew who the person was who is laying dead outside of his property that he had been partying with earlier in the evening!!! I can't believe that for one nanosecond.

Add in the fact that someone dropped off doughnuts at a ridiculous hour for a traditional birthday celebration, that there were apparently 10's of people partying inside the house at the time of the murder that magically saw nothing suspicious, and weird text messages going off to a bunch of people who were around at the time at VERY early hours and I have to ask, he never so much as inquired as to what was going on in his front yard??? Puhlease??? What are you not seeing here?

John O'Keefe is the forgotten victim. His parents and brother are still being vilified and harassed.
Can you name one of the witnesses who's testified, thus far, who hasn't been harassed, had their addresses printed and photos posted online? There are more of these important witnesses coming up who endured the brutality of from the mob crowd disrupting their lives.
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Most all of the smear campaign has been paid in one way or the other because usually a fool and his money are soon parted. The link you provided included a video of an Oct FKR fundraising party. One lady had drawn scars on her arm to mock those John suffered. The cake's icing resembled snow with blood drops in it. It is sick stuff.
The Free Karen Read camp allege a widespread ongoing conspiracy on behalf of the "McAlberts". But the logic of treating John O'Keefe's parents and brother as part of the corrupt coverup escapes me. Screaming "Cop Killer" at John's family and stalking his elderly mother on visits to his grave shows FKR is all about Karen, as if she is the real victim here. She's not.
It is madness like I've never seen since the crazy days of Casey Anthony. But, the FKR crowd is dwindling. And today's Bombshell of the witness testifying about seeing a black blob as they drove past where Karen's SUV had been stopped made for chilling headlines. I am thrilled the jury heard that testimony before leaving for the day. It allows the jury plenty of time to consider that was John's lifeless body freezing in the blizzard, for sure.
<modsnip - quoted post was opinion piece>

JAN 2024
MSP affidavit alleged that Read sent Kearney personal details about witnesses in the case, autopsy photographs, crime scene photographs

< > more than 40 hours during 189 phone calls. Police also allege Read and Kearney interacted via intermediaries and the Signal messaging app.

He (Ken Mello [a special prosecutor brought in to handle allegations of witness intimidation] says Read could now, like Kearney, face witness intimidation charges.

"This is all part of an investigation regarding the intimidation of witnesses, so if the evidence shows there was," he said, "that would be a criminal charge."

MOO
edited to correct link

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads