MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense's sole stance is that Karen Read never hit the victim. Pre-trial they offered up three possible perps. Brian Higgins, Brian Albert, and Colin Albert. They do not have to prove any of them killed him, only that it's possible, more possible than Read killing him with her car. But the judge isn't allowing a full third party defense, which is why the defense cannot directly reference the FBI or the FBI's investigation. "During the hearing in which Mr. Lally was not present..." is as far as they can go.

Well, the reasonable doubt they'll probably get. Just because you can get injuries in many ways and because Proctor did a poor job.

At the same time, I feel certain compassion towards the policemen involved. Their female friend invited someone to their house. Now they are up to their ears in mud. If they are bad policemen in other cases, then deal with them for those mistakes. But death in BA's house is less provable than outside. That a woman scorned can get very angry we know of.

At the same time, I feel certain compassion towards the policemen involved. Their female friend invited someone to their house. Now they are up to their ears in mud. If they are bad policemen in other cases, then deal with them for those mistakes. But death in BA's house is less provable than outside. That a woman scorned can get very angry we know of.

I find them all pretty disgusting. Lying about phone calls and not knowing about screaming people and flashing lights under a bedroom window and the dog in the closet and the destroyed phone(s) (more to come on Higgins's phone.) Bunch of drunken Gen X'ers reliving their old glory days at Canton High.

I'll disregard the sexist comment about Read. Just point out that the US Justice Department says 90% of all homicides are committed by men.

Last edited:
I agree that's why Brian did not go outside, Wishbone. But a few details in our answer are wrong. There are so many people to keep track of!

It was Brian's sister-in-law on the other side, his wife's sister Jennifer McCabe, who woke Brian and Nicole up by coming into their bedroom to tell them police wanted to speak to them. Jennifer McCabe drove Karen Read around to search; she did not bring doughnuts. Brian, Nicole, and Jen went downstairs to talk to the police officers. Brian knocked on Jr.'s door on his way downstairs.

John O'Keefe had already been transported to the hospital before McCabe woke up the Alberts. I'm not sure any fire personnel where still there, from what I recall from various first responders testifying. I don't think Karen Read and the other friend were still outside then either.

Much later in the morning, around 8:30 I think, Julie Albert (Brian's brother Chris's wife) stopped by the driveway to put half a dozen doughnuts in her nephew's car. Julie was not aware anything had happened. She wasn't planning to go in to the house, just drop off the card and present, and get to whatever she was going to do next.

Brian's actions were proper. The victim had been transported. A few police were on scene investigating, and 2 of the officers were there to talk to the residents when he got downstairs. As a professional first responder, Brian understood he had no role in the investigation going on outside. If he'd woken up earlier and could have rendered aid to the victim or assisted first responders trying to save his life, that would've been different. As one of the detectives said, saving a life is always the priority over preserving a crime scene.

The wild speculation about Brian and his relatives has been remarkable. The victim's mother and brother have been jeered and harangued when they attended hearings. Police and firefighters are being accused in court by the defense of planting evidence and tampering with evidence. And that's without Brian having gone outside to examine the spot where John had been lying. Can you imagine the furor there'd be now if he had inserted himself into the investigation by going outside? Yikes! Many believe seem to believe Michael Proctor was too close to the witnesses to investigate the death impartial, and Proctor was not involved directly in the victim's death nor had he been socializing with the victim in the hours before he died. Brian had been with the victim hours earlier. IMO, Brian acted professionally and responsibly that morning by not interfering in the collection of evidence and initial investigation. If he'd gone outside, he'd be accused on compromising the investigation directly.
But yet BA thought it was fine to go sit in on the testimony of, was it Jen McCabe? He drove over to her house to sit in on her interview. If he was trying to show that he was impartial, then he would have no reason to go over there for that interview.

But yet BA thought it was fine to go sit in on the testimony of, was it Jen McCabe? He drove over to her house to sit in on her interview. If he was trying to show that he was impartial, then he would have no reason to go over there for that interview.

They were all interviewed together at the McCabes' house. Beyond appalling, but that's not BA's fault. It's the fault of the phony investigators who weren't trying to get even close to the truth of the matter.

On thing is that if anyone other than KR caused this, what were they thinking if JO survived the attack on him? He might not of been killed intentionally, but he was. Repercussions would of happened.

So here's something I'm having trouble with. According to the testimony of Ryan Nagel and the others in the Ford truck, KR was parked somewhere by the flagpole, near where JO's body was eventually found.

In the diagram I created below, wouldn't JO have gotten out of the car and walked across the lawn to the front door (following the purple line)? I think most would on a cold night unless they were wearing open-toed shoes, or for some other reason were reluctant to walk across the grass.

I guess the commonwealth believes that JO took the blue path and KR hit him as he was walking along the street. Personally, I find that less likely. But even that's true how does his body end up where the yellow circle is? Wouldn't it be closer to the driveway, just from the momentum of being hit?

View attachment 503730
I guess it prob depends upon the shoes he was wearing - sneakers - did they have a tread left or were they smooth on the bottom. And snow accumulates faster on grass than pavement I think/
Looking at this screen shot I question the site line that anybody would have out the kitchen window to this area - kinda neck wrencing isn't it? JMO

In this morning's testimony, Allie McCabe mentioned that her mom had Life360 on her phone. It's a family locator that tracks via GPS.

I wonder if the Life360 data for Jen McCabe was ever pulled. From their website:

Life360 generally retains some form of location data for up to 13 months. Life360 currently collects dwell data in a yearlong batch and deletes the previous year’s batch in February of the following year. Thus, the retention period for dwell data depends on when it is collected but generally will not exceed 13 months.

It seems the data should have been available until February 2023.

I guess the answer to my question is yes, they did capture the Life360 data for both Jen and Allie.

I'm guessing the Feds subpoenaed it.

Does anybody else find it ironic that people who were drinking called other people who were drinking to come pick them up?

Sounds to me like there needs to be some DUI checkpoints around town. But then again, considering how the Blue Shield is protecting so many in this town I doubt they would nab anyone.

What do you mean? Sorry, I'm at work not able to watch right now, and haven't seen any tweets posted here.

It was insinuated by the defense. The miraculous discovery of a text between Colin Albert and Ali McCabe....establishing a 'timeline' for when CA would have left the home. No Questionable proof.
Ali's phone was miraculously 're-homed' just like Brian Alberts.
But.....the defense was able to show proof with the Life 360 app, ( probably obtained via FBI ) that the phone times were probably altered by an hour.

Last edited:
It was insinuated by the defense. The miraculous discovery of a text between Colin Albert and Ali McCabe....establishing a 'timeline' for when CA would have left the home. No proof.
Ali's phone was miraculously 're-homed' just like Brian Alberts.
But.....the defense was able to show proof with the Life 360 app, ( probably obtained via FBI ) that the times were probably altered by an hour.

My question is, if everything is on the up and up and KR murdered JOK then why do we even need to alter times??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti