MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree about the intent: Here is Kerry's testimony regarding KR frantic, comment about Bella's mom didn't like me, and if he (JOK) could be at her (Bella) house.

Partial testimony:

Roberts: "Karen was frantic. She wouldn't put on her seatbelt." "She said, 'Bella's mom didn't like me.’"

Roberts says O'Keefe had once dated a dance instructor who lived in the neighborhood. Says Read asked if he could be at her house.

Roberts says Read started shouting and kicking the door. "I said to Jen, 'she's crazy." Says Read got out and ran over "to a mound of snow."

12:44 PM · May 22, 2024

@BienickWCVB

Kerry and the aruba girls have so much snark dripping off of them. Were they that possessive of their "Johnny" that they did not like him going outside the inner circle to date?
Carrie, who knew the O'K family since their Braintre days - says that KR was only a babysitter with benefits ?
I'm really not sure how to take that comment. Was the implication that her husband told her that JO'k told him that when they were out drinking? ( anybody remember? from testimoney) And why was JenJen so horrified by that statement when she heard Carrie tellling LE EVERYTHING. Does it mean that KR was being "used" by JO'K and that he did not really care about her? Confusing to me. I think Carrie meant to diminish KR but that does not diminish KR it diminishes the user if true.
It does not speak to KR's character or innocence at all. It relects poorly on Carrie. Trying to discredit a relationship beteen KR and JOK - that she really knew nothing about.
Are these women as clueless as they are possessive - so small minded - the characters on Lifetime have more substance and integrity than these people for crying out loud
This trial is not making Massachusetts proud
It feels like a big black eye for the Commonwealth.
JMO

Of course we only have Jen McCabe's word that Kerry said it. Kerry never testified to that nor is it in any of the documentation we've seen to date. Considering some of Jen's memory lapses, I wouldn't necessarily take her statement at face value.

Proctor interviewed the aruba sisters almost immediately. Wonder who told him about the incident involving JO and that KR was jealous? I can guess but I won't.

I imagine it was Erin, John's sister-in-law. She testified about Karen calling/texting her being upset about the kiss. At the time they were both staying on the island but at separate resorts.

So, it looks like we have the commonwealth's theory on intent now.
  1. Based on what happened during the Aruba trip, Karen has a hair-trigger temper, especially when she suspects John is cheating.
  2. On the night in question, Jen McCabe mentioned 'Bella's mom' when giving John directions.
  3. This may have set Karen off and upset her to the point where she reversed into John.
We haven't yet heard from the kids so they may have additional info to add on point 1 and how much the couple argued in general. And of course Brian Higgins will be testifying to what, if any, relationship he had with Karen. But aside from them, we're pretty much at the end of the eyewitnesses. So, I don't think there's too much more to add.

In contrast to all that, the last time anyone saw the couple together they were acting "lovey-dovey". And of course we don't even know if Karen heard Jen mention the mother. For all we know John wasn't even on speaker.

And then we'll get the clashes over the speed and manner in which she allegedly hit him and what that says about her state of mind at the time.
Maybe KR is a person who should not over indulge.

Endless middle school drama. I get that Lally drew the short straw and can't wait to lose this case and move on, but a person - never mind a Commonwealth attorney - of integrity would have quit before he engaged in this sort of behavior. Is the (relatively) paltry salary really worth it?

Proctor interviewed the aruba sisters almost immediately. Wonder who told him about the incident involving JO and that KR was jealous? I can guess but I won't.
In my way of thinking it was not even really an "incident". It was just a moment in time. A misunderstanding then an apology. Move on.
But the girls seem to want to marinate in it. Hold a grudge. How very Canton -like.
Did KR get up at dinner in Aruba and throw a plate of spaghetti at JOk and hurl expletives at him and then put Etta
in a headlock? No !
Now, to me that would be an "incident"
But but .....She picked up the dinner tab!
How dare she!

Insanity at its finest
There is a dead man's family who needs true justice
IMO

Maybe KR is a person who should not over indulge.
It sounds like none of them should. Leaving bars with glasses, drinking and driving and arresting people for same while working...But it's ok for them. Inviting people over for more drinking after drinking all evening and during a predicted blizzard...And many accepting the offer...Good grief! And these are not young people that haven't matured. They are middle aged and over. Wow! JMO.

Of course we only have Jen McCabe's word that Kerry said it. Kerry never testified to that nor is it in any of the documentation we've seen to date. Considering some of Jen's memory lapses, I wouldn't necessarily take her statement at face value.
McCabe also testified further about Kerry Roberts, who accompanied McCabe and Read on their search for O’Keefe on Jan. 29, 2022. McCabe previously said Roberts made a statement to investigators that “horrified” her. On Wednesday, she clarified that she overheard Roberts say something like, “John really loved Amy, and in my eyes, Karen was just a babysitter with benefits.”

Agreed. If I brought my girlfriend on a trip with a bunch of women she has never met, we were all out drinking, and she came around a corner to see one of these girls she didn't know close to me and walking me down a hallway towards my room, she would probably have a similar reaction. That story didn't really move me the way they wanted. JMO YMMV
Using the "f" word, if its a true story, is really strange, imo.

It sounds like none of them should. Leaving bars with glasses, drinking and driving and arresting people for same while working...But it's ok for them. Inviting people over for more drinking after drinking all evening and during a predicted blizzard...And many accepting the offer...Good grief! And these are not young people that haven't matured. They are middle aged and over. Wow! JMO.

Plenty old enough to be grandparents. I drive in Canton quite often and now I'm paranoid that I'll be hit by a drunk cop who will work with his pals to blame me. Dirty old town.

I can see how some people would see this as strange, but its not uncommon around here for folks to drop the f-bomb willynilly like that.
Need an expert on the f-bomb to vehicular manslaughter pipeline
Kind of strange, imo. I speak from my own experience, if I have a friend (ex: JOK) and his gf is using profanity toward me, and I know I did nothing wrong, I would not react with choice words as the f word. This is out of respect to my friend, not the mouthy gf. But, then you never know - I wasn't there, thankfully. moo

Kind of strange, imo. I speak from my own experience, if I have a friend (ex: JOK) and his gf is using profanity toward me, and I know I did nothing wrong, I would not react with choice words as the f word. This is out of respect to my friend, not the mouthy gf. But, then you never know - I wasn't there, thankfully. moo
I agree with that. "Is everything okay?" "I think there's a misunderstanding... hi I'm ____" , ect. It may not have been her job to deescalate but.. its odd. jmo.

Dont know about that, but if the CW doesnt call him, there is no doubt defense will call him. moo :)

They'll call him. They need to get in front of his testimony before the defense does.

Unless he's told the CW he'll be pleading the 5th. That could change things. But as of now they haven't gotten to the staties.

So intrigued about why there is no cross...
I haven’t been able to watch yet, currently just reading this thread to catch up a bit, but it sounds to me that the defense just didn’t have anything to ask. From the tweets and comments here, it sounds like she was forthcoming and credible.

it doesn’t seem like she tried to blame Karen or clear Karen. I’m guessing her testimony must be pretty consistent in all reports, the Grand Jury, and to the Feds, and her phone records didn’t show anything inconsistent with her testimony, so the defense is letting her testimony stand as is.

I’m not a lawyer of course, but this seems like a smart move on their part. It sure does make it clear that their focus is on the people at 34 Fairview that night and not just everyone the prosecution calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallfry92