MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian Whiffin is the expert from Cellebrite. He's named on the list of commonwealth witnesses.

Supposedly, his testimony will be that the report from his company is incorrect, which is sort of an interesting tack for a for-profit company to take.
Thank you, @ch_13. I now see IW listed under civilian witnesses #51.

Interesting, how out of order the witnesses have been called to the stand. moo

I am new to this case, so apologies if this has been brought up before.

Karen Read clearly thought she had hit JOK, as evidenced by her yelling in the car on the way to look for JOK.
Is it possible that she almost hit, or bumped him lightly while backing up, and he went inside and jokingly said "Karen nearly ran me over when she left" ?

This would give the party goers a scapegoat when they later beat up JOK.
Yes, Karen was heard by several people saying “I hit him.” EMTs testified to that. So she clearly hit him. Her panicked wake up and scramble to get to the scene and bring others to witness is also a sign of a guilty mind. Many guilty defendants do this — they want witnesses there when they discover the body and put on a hysterical act. By all accounts she was hysterical and screaming when John’s body was discovered. My guess is she was thinking that if she didn’t seem concerned that he wasn’t home yet it would make her look guilty once his body was discovered. I also wonder if she was just in a heightened state and couldn’t sit still for someone to discover the body.

The state has already proven she hit him! Because it came out of her own mouth.

JMO

Last edited:
Thank you, @ch_13. I now see IW listed under civilian witnesses #51.

Interesting, how out of order the witnesses have been called to the stand. moo
I could maybe understand the order of witnesses if they all had agreement on who/when about that night, but so far the only thing they all seem to agree on is that Colin Albert left as soon as they got there.

Yes, Karen was heard by several people saying “I hit him.” EMTs testified to that. So she clearly hit him. Her panicked wake up and scramble to get to the scene and bring others to witness is also a sign of a guilty mind. Many guilty defendants do this — they want witnesses there when they discover the body and put on a hysterical act. By all accounts she was hysterical and screaming when John’s body was discovered.

JMO

I've seen testimony of her saying "DID I hit him". That part was left out of your quote. The state has literally proven nothing. Wait, I'm sorry, they used hearsay to determine KR used profanity months before this event happened. JMO

Aruba is important in that regard. A middle-aged woman, unlucky in love, possibly wants marriage, instead feels used, is drunk and angry about to be dumped soon, and tensions have been building. Yep! That tracks. JMO
RSBM
RBBM

Oh noes! Middle-aged? She must be desperate!

Not every woman wants marriage. Especially when they are already independently successful.
There are so many women who feel relieved when they get divorced, because they no longer have to support an adult who should have been supporting her.

'angry girlfriend did not run over boyfriend in a moment of late-night alcohol-assisted anger'
- the actual experts
One thing that does bother me is even as the snow was getting deeper KR spotted him immediately ..seemed to know exactly where to look.

Can you imagine being the new owners of 34 Fairview and having a parade of looky-loos constantly driving past your house, pulling into your driveway, taking pictures etc.?
Or worse yet a jury and entire courtroom staff coming over for the "view"?

RSBM
RBBM

Oh noes! Middle-aged? She must be desperate!

Not every woman wants marriage. Especially when they are already independently successful.
There are so many women who feel relieved when they get divorced, because they no longer have to support an adult who should have been supporting her.
I would say this situation is different in that JO has two children who I assume have gotten attached to KR. She is living there most of the time. If in fact JO was not interested in making it official with KR and in fact there were issues coming up in the relationship then he more than the average guy has reason to break it off sooner rather than later. I want to hear more about that. Her behavior in Aruba seems like maybe an attempt to hang onto a guy that she perceives might be getting ready to break it up. I don't think she fit into his crowd at all. As I recall this was rekindled during covid when you really could not go out and socialize much at all. Maybe it was a handy relationship for JO at the time but then it got old. I am sure truth be told it was great to have help with the children.

One QUESTION I have as I wait for the start today is what impact the length of this trial is having on the jury. Canton and the area is not that big...and I have to wonder about what the jurors are being exposed to and then you have the long stretches of no court days or 1/2 days. They clearly see the KR groups out front daily. I think the margin to lose jurors or have misconduct is increasing daily.

Can you imagine being the new owners of 34 Fairview and having a parade of looky-loos constantly driving past your house, pulling into your driveway, taking pictures etc.?

Earlier in the trial the defense had photos that were obviously taken from inside the house, like the cellar door. They could only have been taken with the consent of the homeowner. Interesting that they decided to help Karen Read's case.

Maybe they felt like they overpaid and this was their revenge.

Injuries from an altercation? Why the heck would he go to the hospital unless it was very serious?

Guy I work who is Higgins' age and body type landed in the hospital last weekend because he thought he was having a heart attack. Turned out to be an anxiety attack. I can see something like this, but just 5 pages?

Weird.
Maybe he was treated for a dog bite.
If you are bitten and it breaks the skin (blood), they recommend you go to the hospital for a rabies shot.
Unless the owner produces paperwork proving the dog had the rabies vaccine.
Also he may have needed antibiotics.

Oh. My. God.

Lally was involved in that, too???

The Sandra Birchmore case is truly sickening.

Why are so many cops bad? At least in that area?

Respectfully. It is a different case from a different town. But since we are trying to look for parallels:

AJ was one of Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers
HW’s lawyers hired Black cube, an Israeli intelligence company, to assemble “kompromat” on HW’s victims, and suppress publication of materials about the lawsuit in NYT

Maybe the same principle, only hiring a local blogger to gather information, threaten, intimidate?

Yes, Karen was heard by several people saying “I hit him.” EMTs testified to that. So she clearly hit him. Her panicked wake up and scramble to get to the scene and bring others to witness is also a sign of a guilty mind. Many guilty defendants do this — they want witnesses there when they discover the body and put on a hysterical act. By all accounts she was hysterical and screaming when John’s body was discovered. My guess is she was thinking that if she didn’t seem concerned that he wasn’t home yet it would make her look guilty once his body was discovered. I also wonder if she was just in a hei
Yes, Karen was heard by several people saying “I hit him.” EMTs testified to that. So she clearly hit him. Her panicked wake up and scramble to get to the scene and bring others to witness is also a sign of a guilty mind. Many guilty defendants do this — they want witnesses there when they discover the body and put on a hysterical act. By all accounts she was hysterical and screaming when John’s body was discovered. My guess is she was thinking that if she didn’t seem concerned that he wasn’t home yet it would make her look guilty once his body was discovered. I also wonder if she was just in a heightened state and couldn’t sit still for someone to discover the body.

JMO
Why didn’t a single person put it in their report?
Not proven in the least.

Brian Higgins tells ADA Lally he's been a special agent with the ATF for nearly 15 years. He lives on the Cape now but owned a home in Canton that he sold around January 5th, 2022

Higgins becomes emotional when asked why he had an office at Canton PD. He says then Chief Berkowitz offered it after his sister passed away.

Brian Higgins (BH) on his relationship with Brian Albert Sr. (BA) "he’s a good friend, he’s a coworker. I had been working closely with his unit."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missTaken16