MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SueNBCBoston

There’s a side bar.
Judge tells jurors to stretch, then tells them to take a recess.
They are out of the courtroom.
Higgins is also given a break.
Sidebar continues.

10:30 AM · May 24, 2024

@TedDanielnews

Judge tells jury to take a 20-30 minute recess while she has sidebar with prosecution and defense

10:29 AM · May 24, 2024
i have to think that one side or the other intends to introduce something (probably related to KR and Higgins relationship) and they are sorting out what is in and what is out.

So, it looks like we have the commonwealth's theory on intent now.
  1. Based on what happened during the Aruba trip, Karen has a hair-trigger temper, especially when she suspects John is cheating.
  2. On the night in question, Jen McCabe mentioned 'Bella's mom' when giving John directions.
  3. This may have set Karen off and upset her to the point where she reversed into John.
We haven't yet heard from the kids so they may have additional info to add on point 1 and how much the couple argued in general. And of course Brian Higgins will be testifying to what, if any, relationship he had with Karen. But aside from them, we're pretty much at the end of the eyewitnesses. So, I don't think there's too much more to add.

In contrast to all that, the last time anyone saw the couple together they were acting "lovey-dovey". And of course we don't even know if Karen heard Jen mention the mother. For all we know John wasn't even on speaker.

And then we'll get the clashes over the speed and manner in which she allegedly hit him and what that says about her state of mind at the time.
Yes, I agree. The Commonwealth is coloring a paint by number picture of the events primarily beginning at New Year's Eve in Aruba culminating in John's death. To complete a final setting of their relationship following the Aruba incident, the niece and nephew will shore up the edges.

If jurors are willing to convict a defendant, with punishment behind prison walls, there must be proof beyond reasonable doubt. Motive is not a requirement. Right now, we don't know the state of mind of the couple at the time but Bella's name was mentioned while giving directions to 34 FV. Karen is jealous and can overreact.

I think John called Jen for specific directions in order to perhaps avoid having a conversation with Karen because the SUV had gps navigation. O'Keefe's ph call to Jennifer backfired on Johnny at the mention of the dance instructor's name. Karen most likely heard this chat and recognized the name. Oh, f no, she wouldn't be driving near Bella's home!

Referring back to Matt McCabe's testimony, he and Jennifer gave specific directions to travel to 34 FVn. However, Matt discovered when the SUV arrived, it came from the opposite direction in order to get there per his suggestion so he was puzzled by the request for directions and the contrasting route they apparently took instead.

Read reversing at 24mph into John O'Keefe that bleak night may have been punishment for John not choosing her. A babysitter with benefits was said in open court. She may have hated him for not loving her more.

Karen drove away after ramming her SUV into her boyfriend who was not her husband as she lied to the medic. That indicated her desire that John would marry her and not push her away back to being alone in Mansfield. Karen knew the forecasted blizzard was upon them. John was laying in the grass, according to KRogers. She left John to die in freezing cold weather under 6" of snow. It chills me to the bone.

MOO

It's been stated by several people that KR was running around like crazy making incoherent remarks and statements that " didn't make any sense". So in the middle of all of these statements she suddenly gets a moment of clarity and confesses to a murder before going back to being hysterical? Yeah, NO. I don't believe she did that.

It also indicates that she can get into incoherent and hysterical state of mind.

Doesn’t it resemble you how attorney Alan Jackson subjected Janet McCabe to cross-examination? He raised his voice. I was shocked…
RSBM

Jen McCabe's super dexterous butt called John O'Keefe's phone multiple times around the time he was grievously injured and left for dead in the bitter cold.

Now, THAT I was shocked by.

So let me get this straight :
The two chicks from Aruba were witnesses to establish KR was a jealous possessive woman. The niece and nephew testified that the couple fought a lot and that JOK had asked for KR to move out but she said no.
Hence her anger...per the P it seems, so she runs him with her car over a month after Aruba.
Then we have fifty six text exchanges with Karen Read and Higgins. Sounds like HIggins -JOK's good friend - has no respect for the "bro code". And KR - maybe she was the one wantng to move on.
Couples fighting by the way about committment etc are not unusual. Saying things are over etc very common IME.
Especially in a relationship that has perhaps "older" committment phobic people who have never married(who always want to end the relationship when its starts to get a little too close for comfort).
All this has nothing to do with anything as far as I can tell but garner a larger audience with all the extraneous salacious details.

Its a top ten weather day In MA so can we get this testimoney to move on to something that has bearing on the case.

Higgins crying bc he palyed video games with JOK's nephew on the vist to JOK's house - meanwhile he's trying to bang JOK's girlfriend of two years
Who are these people ?
It ain't exactly the Waltons down that way

And by the way Stoughton and Canton have a lot more than just geographical proximity in common. Just saying.
IYKYK

JMO

Yes, I agree. The Commonwealth is coloring a paint by number picture of the events primarily beginning at New Year's Eve in Aruba culminating in John's death. To complete a final setting of their relationship following the Aruba incident, the niece and nephew will shore up the edges.
So... two arguments must mean one of the people is suddenly murderous?
If jurors are willing to convict a defendant, with punishment behind prison walls, there must be proof beyond reasonable doubt.
Yes, that's why we are all horrified that this even came to trial.
Motive is not a requirement. Right now, we don't know the state of mind of the couple at the time but Bella's name was mentioned while giving directions to 34 FV. Karen is jealous and can overreact.
Would you consider a grown adult throwing a video game controller in a fit of rage as "overreacting"?
I

Read reversing at 24mph into John O'Keefe that bleak night may have been punishment for John not choosing her. A babysitter with benefits was said in open court. She may have hated him for not loving her more.

Karen drove away after ramming her SUV into her boyfriend...
Still waiting for the biomechanic experts to testify it wasn't physically possible.
...was not her husband
The definition of boyfriend means they are not married, yes?
as she lied to the medic.
Wait, I thought KR "confessed"?
That indicated her desire that John would marry her and not push her away back to being alone in Mansfield. Karen knew the forecasted blizzard was upon them. John was laying in the grass, according to KRogers. She left John to die in freezing cold weather under 6" of snow. It chills me to the bone.

MOO
That is an interesting story!

@DeDee So chilling. She had done everything to please him and seek his/his friends’ approval and how dare he dump her. Likely, in the beginning she put him on a pedestal bending backwards to please him and when she couldn’t control him anymore she devalued him and killed him in her enraged state. I’m getting the sense she has a distorted idea of what a relationship looks like - possibly in her mind it’s this formulaic thing, I please you by doing this, now you have to please me by doing that. He was committing a grave/unforgivable sin by dumping her, in her eyes. She was auditioning for marriage and he pulled the rug from under her.

JMO

@DeDee So chilling. She had done everything to please him and seek his/his friends’ approval and how dare he dump her. Likely, in the beginning she put him on a pedestal bending backwards to please him and when she couldn’t control him anymore she devalued him and killed him in her enraged state. I’m getting the sense she has a distorted idea of what a relationship looks like - possibly in her mind it’s this formulaic thing, I please you by doing this, now you have to please me by doing that. He was committing a grave/unforgivable sin by dumping her, in her eyes. She was auditioning for marriage and he pulled the rug from under her.

JMO

You're basing this on what? That she got upset when she thought someone else was making the moves on her partner? That reads like fiction. JMO

If jurors are willing to convict a defendant, with punishment behind prison walls, there must be proof beyond reasonable doubt. Motive is not a requirement. Right now, we don't know the state of mind of the couple at the time but Bella's name was mentioned while giving directions to 34 FV. Karen is jealous and can overreact.

I think John called Jen for specific directions in order to perhaps avoid having a conversation with Karen because the SUV had gps navigation. O'Keefe's ph call to Jennifer backfired on Johnny at the mention of the dance instructor's name. Karen most likely heard this chat and recognized the name. Oh, f no, she wouldn't be driving near Bella's home!

Referring back to Matt McCabe's testimony, he and Jennifer gave specific directions to travel to 34 FVn. However, Matt discovered when the SUV arrived, it came from the opposite direction in order to get there per his suggestion so he was puzzled by the request for directions and the contrasting route they apparently took instead.

Karen drove away after ramming her SUV into her boyfriend who was not her husband as she lied to the medic. That indicated her desire that John would marry her and not push her away back to being alone in Mansfield. Karen knew the forecasted blizzard was upon them. John was laying in the grass, according to KRogers. She left John to die in freezing cold weather under 6" of snow. It chills me to the bone.

MOO
i cant tell if you're being serious or not lol

JMO

Do you find the phrase 'hos long to die in cold' chilling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member