MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree. The Commonwealth is coloring a paint by number picture of the events primarily beginning at New Year's Eve in Aruba culminating in John's death. To complete a final setting of their relationship following the Aruba incident, the niece and nephew will shore up the edges.

If jurors are willing to convict a defendant, with punishment behind prison walls, there must be proof beyond reasonable doubt. Motive is not a requirement. Right now, we don't know the state of mind of the couple at the time but Bella's name was mentioned while giving directions to 34 FV. Karen is jealous and can overreact.

I think John called Jen for specific directions in order to perhaps avoid having a conversation with Karen because the SUV had gps navigation. O'Keefe's ph call to Jennifer backfired on Johnny at the mention of the dance instructor's name. Karen most likely heard this chat and recognized the name. Oh, f no, she wouldn't be driving near Bella's home!

Referring back to Matt McCabe's testimony, he and Jennifer gave specific directions to travel to 34 FVn. However, Matt discovered when the SUV arrived, it came from the opposite direction in order to get there per his suggestion so he was puzzled by the request for directions and the contrasting route they apparently took instead.

Read reversing at 24mph into John O'Keefe that bleak night may have been punishment for John not choosing her. A babysitter with benefits was said in open court. She may have hated him for not loving her more.

Karen drove away after ramming her SUV into her boyfriend who was not her husband as she lied to the medic. That indicated her desire that John would marry her and not push her away back to being alone in Mansfield. Karen knew the forecasted blizzard was upon them. John was laying in the grass, according to KRogers. She left John to die in freezing cold weather under 6" of snow. It chills me to the bone.

MOO
You seriously believe she murdered her boyfriend because of the mere mention of an ex’s name?

With no known prior history of physical violence between them or individually in previous relationships. With the Aruba incident being admitted as a misunderstanding and apologized for.

up to now I think defense has owned every CW witness, I will say with BH I do not think that. We all know romance and sex are two different relationships and I think BH handled that question well. He was right to wonder about this sudden interest of KR. I think so far first witness good for CW but there may be more.

up to now I think defense has owned every CW witness, I will say with BH I do not think that. We all know romance and sex are two different relationships and I think BH handled that question well. He was right to wonder about this sudden interest of KR. I think so far first witness good for CW but there may be more.

From what I saw, he thought she was hot and that they had some things in common and also seemed surprised she expressed interest in him. JMO

I was actually waiting for the game I used to play in Jr High, with a paper folded up in little triangles, and inside were questions like: " I like you. Do you like me? Yes or No? "

Good grief, that was painful.

The struggle is real people.

@DeDee So chilling. She had done everything to please him and seek his/his friends’ approval and how dare he dump her. Likely, in the beginning she put him on a pedestal bending backwards to please him and when she couldn’t control him anymore she devalued him and killed him in her enraged state. I’m getting the sense she has a distorted idea of what a relationship looks like - possibly in her mind it’s this formulaic thing, I please you by doing this, now you have to please me by doing that. He was committing a grave/unforgivable sin by dumping her, in her eyes. She was auditioning for marriage and he pulled the rug from under her.

JMO

After hearing those texts Karen certainly didn't seem like a woman scorned, who was burning for revenge on a guy who wouldn't marry her. She didn't really seem angry at all, just a little tired and depressed about the issues in her relationship.

If anything, I would say she was preparing to move on. She seemed like she was looking for the next guy and knew she had Higgins on the hook. And he was definitely interested, despite his reluctance to admit it on the stand.

So, then I have to ask why kill John in a fit of rage?

I do feel for BJ and against my better judgment I kind of like him.

But there's a lot for AJ to unpack with him, so let's see. There's still the jeep, his 1:30 AM arrival at the office and most importantly the destruction of his cell phone.

Edit - Oh, and the butt dial! How could I forget that?

After hearing those texts Karen certainly didn't seem like a woman scorned, who was burning for revenge on a guy who wouldn't marry her. She didn't really seem angry at all, just a little tired and depressed about the issues in her relationship.

If anything, I would say she was preparing to move on. She seemed like she was looking for the next guy and knew she had Higgins on the hook. And he was definitely interested, despite his reluctance to admit it on the stand.

I think her interest in BH was more a reaction given the events in Aruba. I think there were more down there and that she once again felt like an outsider with his long time friends. Complete over reaction when she went after the Sullivan girl. I think BH was shocked at her interest as she really was an attractive woman with good career and he has no self confidence. JO was a much more attractive guy in my opinion. I don't think she killed John that night..someone got in a fight with JO. I want proof he was in the house.

The defense hasn't done their cross yet, so they haven't had a chance to own or not own BH.

MOO

I think her interest in BH was more a reaction given the events in Aruba. I think there were more down there and that she once again felt like an outsider with his long time friends. Complete over reaction when she went after the Sullivan girl. I think BH was shocked at her interest as she really was an attractive woman with good career and he has no self confidence. JO was a much more attractive guy in my opinion. I don't think she killed John that night..someone got in a fight with JO. I want proof he was in the house.
I didn't care for that crass aruba sister at all. Who knows what kind of hugs she was laying on drunk JO. JMO

I do feel for BJ and against my better judgment I kind of like him.

But there's a lot for AJ to unpack with him, so let's see. There's still the jeep, his 1:30 AM arrival at the office and most importantly the destruction of his cell phone.

Edit - Oh, and the butt dial! How could I forget that?
RBBM

Destroying one's phone in the middle of criminal stuff is no joke.

I imagine it involves weighing how it will look to destroy it versus what it might reveal upon examination of its contents.

And to then go ahead with the destruction anyway? Full well knowing it's about as suspicious as it can get?

CMON what are you exactly hiding

RBBM

Destroying one's phone in the middle of criminal stuff is no joke.

I imagine it involves weighing how it will look to destroy it versus what it might reveal upon examination of its contents.

And to then go ahead with the destruction anyway? Full well knowing it's about as suspicious as it can get?

CMON what are you exactly hiding

His actions lead me to believe that he knows exactly what happened to JO and that he may have been involved.He's made some shady moves that an innocent person wouldn't make. JMO

Good point. Maybe the defense didn't own the witness in a dramatic way like JMc, but as with KerryR, not really seeing how witness either advances CW's case (ie no evidence to support motive) or damaging defense'? Moo Haven't been able to watch BH testimony in full yet though

While I'm behind in watching the proceedings on CourtTV after pulling weeds from flower beds, I was listening to this much anticipated witness, BH.

1.5 hours into BH's testimony the texts are about to be introduced when there is a lengthy sidebar. While waiting, Karen does this mannerism while sitting at the D table alone so is it in full view of the Jury? IDK. Did I read earlier in the thread that saying the phrase FY in and around the Boston area is common as that has not been my own personal experience?

I live here. And yes very common. My mother was a big proponent while driving.
No pearl clutching in my neck of the woods. Just. Imo

Karen drove away after ramming her SUV into her boyfriend who was not her husband as she lied to the medic. That indicated her desire that John would marry her and not push her away back to being alone in Mansfield. Karen knew the forecasted blizzard was upon them. John was laying in the grass, according to KRogers. She left John to die in freezing cold weather under 6" of snow. It chills me to the bone.

MOO

RSBM You seem to give Karen a lot of credit for someone you seem to really despise. How could she KNOW that after hitting him (not getting out to check on him) that he would die and not be found? How could she know in a group party situation that someone wouldn't have come out of the house and found him?? Also, I have heard you mention that she is a cop killer. He was her boyfriend - her significant other - even IF she did kill him, she didn't kill him because he was a cop.

I have to take into account her being drunk that night and into the next morning when I look at her actions / hysteria. I also am looking at the even more interesting/damning evidence/actions of the others at the party (destroying phones, getting rid of a dog, telling others what the story is, bullying) much later than that night.

I personally think that the case against her is so weak, I couldn't convict. However, I am watching the trial to see if the prosecution has evidence I am unaware of. But, I can see that others have already made up their mind - and that is okay for them to do. I am looking at this trial as a juror would and there is no way I could convict with the prosecutions case so far. JMO

Just thinking , but will the question be given to Higgins as to if he is familiar with the Medical Examiner, who happens to keep an office in the Canton PD as well. Hmmmm
Is the cross finished? Unable to watch today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member